• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate And Discuss Their Chances: Old thread needs to be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think it's time I address quite a few things:

First off, when predicting the likeliness score, you do not use the letter grading system, you use a system where you vote anywhere from 0 to 5 with decimals up to hundredth (an example prediction would be 3.29). It makes it more of a challenge to predict the final score and less of a "first one to predict this wins!" race. I added this to the OP as I forgot to explain it.

@DakotaBonez: Uh, not even close and I already explained it in the OP. This is how it's done (We'll use King K. Rool for the example):

Step One: Nominate King K. Rool.

Step Two: King K. Rool has the most nominations, as such, he is up. You are free to rate with the letter grade system how much you want him. Prediction is also allow in the format I laid down in both this post and the OP. Finally, and this is the most important, use the day to discuss and debate how likely K. Rool is to show up. However, this is not the time to vote on likelihood as the discussion phase serves to reduce bias on the users part.

Step Three: This is the voting phase for how likely King K. Rool is. Debates cease, but you are free to give final thoughts on character and during this day do you vote for how likely he is to get in. You may not predict during this time as it would provoke cheating, but you can still use or change your vote on how much you want the character as it would not be cheating. During this phase, another character is in Step Two.

Step Four: This phase, I give the final result for the character and the winner of the prediction gets five extra nominations vote. K. Rool is then sent into hiatus for a month before he is eligible to be nominated for a re-vote. He must have 100 nomination votes before he can be re-voted. Revotes take place in the same day as a new character, so it does not replace the new character's day.

Re-voting works mostly the same; however, after a re-voting of a character ends, the score they get during the re-voting will replace their original score; although all scores the character get are still visible.

K. Rool is currently in Step Two. Day Three, he will be in Step Three and whoever gets the most nominations today will be at Step Two.

Also, the letter grade system is much simpler than that of using numbers for rating chances and how much you want the character. It allows for more objective thinking, instead of just "X character has 70% of getting in!". The reason why prediction uses numbers is explained earlier in this post.

I hope that helps clarify things.

@SSBCandidates: You don't gain anything from predicting who's next. The only predictions that you can win nominations from is being the closest to predicting the final number in likelihood.
Sol Diviner said:
For re-nominations, are we allowed to nominate characters we've already nominated in a previous post, or do we have to nominate different characters?
When it comes to re-nominating characters, you are free to re-nominate those you already nominated before.

I predict that King K. Rool will get a 4.42 in likelihood.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
My prediction for K. rool is an S. my like for him would be.... Probs an A/S. Not to be a hard task master here, i do love K. Rool to death. There are just others I like just that little bit more, like the return of Lucas in sm4sh. :-)

he's still pretty darn high, it was too hard to give him either so I kinda went in the middle haha.

Anyway, my reasoning behind K. Rool is simply that he's an iconic character in one of Nintendo's biggest selling series ever. that Starfox got more characters than DK is a bit sad considering that DK is the bigger series. While Diddy was good in Brawl, I suspect many fans wanted to see more, perhaps DK getting the treatment Kirbs did with an instantaneous 1-3 chars from melee to brawl. As Sol pointed out, his many variations allow for a varied and fun moveset and very importantly, people want to play as him. Combined with the fact that there are becoming fewer and fewer Nintendo characters needed as fighters without being over-the-top and you have a character that should fit in nicely.

As for venus' point, this is true and is probably one of the few things that i believe could hurt K. Rool and why he wasn't in brawl. However if they take a whiff at the Western audiences they will see the same characters coming up for request: Ridley, Toad, Megaman, Zoroark/victini and K. Rool. these are probably the biggest 5/6 non-veterans requested in the west. Mewtwo and Roy are both vets, so i'm not counting them but even if I do, that just takes the total up to 7/8. No biggie.

More noms:

Ness x 3
Wolf
Ridley

D

Deleted member

Luco, you have to use a 0-5 with decimals up to the hundredth system for predictions. I even bolded that in the OP recently.

Also, pick either A or S for want. Don't make me randomly select it, it makes my job on this thread harder.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Sorry. Uhh..... Okay, i'll go S for want as he is a villain of my childhood. (yay nostalgia! <3)

prediction is 4.78. :)

Also, sorry, haha. I haven't read the beginning post since the first time i read it. :)

D

Deleted member

Sorry. Uhh..... Okay, i'll go S for want as he is a villain of my childhood. (yay nostalgia! <3)

prediction is 4.78. :)

Also, sorry, haha. I haven't read the beginning post since the first time i read it. :)
Everything forgiven. I understand that this system will take awhile for people to get used to, especially since this is a pretty large revamp of Rate Their Chances and I still have a lot of work to do with the OP (need to make a reference column for easy access for each individual character and other things in relation to this).

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Anyone willing to put up music for the Rool-er? (pun intended :cool: ) I'd do it but these library computers don't let me easily because of the sound involved. (:3)

D

Deleted member

Thanks for he info, Smash Bros. Fan. I updated my post with a number for my vote and my nominations.
You're welcome. BTW, do you want the 4.7 as a prediction score for when we vote for K. Rool in likelihood tomorrow?

And Luco, I'll add in some music for K. Rool that has been suggested here.

D

Deleted member

I am literally willing to bet a small amount of cash on his inclusion.

So it appears as I got the explaining done. Now to the fun part, discussing K. Rool's odds.

If I had to say one newcomer above the rest in likelihood, one that I am so confident on that I would be utterly shocked at the exclusion of, it is King K. Rool.

King K. Rool easily fufills all four criterias that Sakurai has laid down. People are obviously going to want to play as him and K. Rool is likely among the Top 3 in popularity (my guess is second behind Mewtwo and front of Ridley). K. Rool of course will be unique as making an unique and enjoyable move set doesn't take a lot of effort in comparison to most characters. Of course he could fit very well into the game and is adaptable to fighting other characters.

King K. Rool is also very important to the series. He's what people think about for a Donkey Kong main villain and if they outcry for the lack of Kremlings indicates anything, it's that King K. Rool is considered an important part of the franchise and hasn't been forgotten. K. Rool will likely return in a Donkey Kong game eventually.

Also, being of Western origin is not an argument against K. Rool as Diddy Kong got in and he was of Western origin.

I conclusion, I seriously think he is getting in. Unless there are some major developments that hurts his popularity or importance to the series, I see his inclusion as close to a shoe-in as possible (only possible to be excluded because, well, anything could happen with the roster). I would say he is highly deserving of being in a Smash game, as a matter of fact, one of the most deserving newcomers period.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I give King K. Rool an S ranking, with 4.8 as a prediction score. He's a must have in my book.

I would've posted earlier, but I was doing other things yesterday.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd give ol' K. Rool an A considering the fact that he would've been the perfect member of the villains' group and who would not want to see a Bowser vs K. Rool fight?

Nominations

Takamarux2
Palutena
N Harmonia
Heracross
Pac Man

:phone:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I give King K. Rool an A in possibility, but only for the fact his relevance is kind of in limbo at the moment and the minor competition with Dixie Kong. Aside from that, The odds are pretty high at the moment from popularity alone.

Also for the next round, I nominate Starfy, Takamaru, Palutena (x2), and Zoroark.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
K. Rool's an A for me. He seems like a no-brainer for inclusion. He's not an A because of what Habanero said, as well as the fact I don't think he's very popular in Japan.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Not sure if you still nominate for a new character but I noticed that nobody else put it down:
PLUSLE AND MINUN! (x3)
I think it's time that ice climbers had a little duo competition.
Also heracross, there's so much you can do with him, I'm half-surprised he's not in brawl.
Also Cranky kong, I'd love to see him take a bigger role in games and I don't think anyone else has put any thought to him at all.

On the note of King.K.Rool. I'll give him a B; there is a likelihood that he'll get in, but he hasn't taken major impact on the DK series right now. Also, I doubt that they'll put 2 Dk-series characters in SSB4, and I think that dixie kong is more likely.

Edit: Forgot about number score... 3.89.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool gets an S and a 5 in likeliness for all the reasons I posted on the last page. I can only stress the unimportance of his "irrelevance," "competition" with Dixie, and especially anything to do with his or other Kongs' appearances in sports games so many times.

The argument that Sakurai hasn't expressed an opinion on K. Rool is definitely new, but it's certainly not a deal-breaker. In fact, Sakurai didn't seem to have much opinion on Diddy before including him, either, and he had far fewer references in the Smash series than even K. Rool (lacking a trophy for mysterious reasons).

Smash Rookie
I see, so this is how it's done?
Want: A
Prediction: 3.5 (Though I believe the score for this game will rank him much higher.)
I've already given my reasoning.

Nom-
Lucario
Rosalina
Waluigi
Tom Nook
Ness

jigglover

Smash Lord
Would like to nominate Kamek for a 2nd rep for the yoshi series.

Also think another heroine should get in, peach is in, so is zelda, there's no one from pokemon worth nominating, DK series isn't either... All I think to nominate would be Princess Daisy - oh wait she'll be a clone of Peach... hmm... It will HAVE to be a female gym leader, but then again, she won't actually fight. If any of you can think of a good heroine that won't be a clone, tell me to/nominate her.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
^
¦

You can only have 5 nominations per day. You have 7. Choose between Plusle & Minun, Heracross, Cranky Kong, Kamek, or Daisy. You can nominate all 5 of them once or keep ur 3 nominations for Plusle & Minun plus 2 more.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I'm going to say K.Rool gets an A rank with a prediction of 3.9 from me.
I honestly wonder why he hasn't been in a smash game yet but maybe he will be in this time.

My nominations would prblly have to be
Saki (Sin and Punishment)
Shulk (Xenoblade)
Issac (Golden Sun)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejo)
Ridley (Metroid)

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Finally jumping in on the juicy prediction stuff, which apparently, I'm late for.

I've perused what has currently been said enough to grasp the general opinion (more or less, people have all said the same thing, which tells me there is very little to say with this one, all to be expected from the highest nominated character). I cannot put him at "S" likelihood, not only from my view as that no one should be there, as SSBF also pointed out, but also because I don't view him as a lock (in theory, that is, and in practice, Sakurai will basically do whatever he wishes, and we can't assume he'll do this theory by the book roster, that'd be foolish). So I guess S is for Sakurai. :awesome:

But anyways, it is interesting to note that his popularity in the east is not particularly strong, his strongest fan could only bring one piece of evidence from someone who posted something (and interestingly, that very same resource showed Dixie to have similar demand), whereas King K. Rool has reportedly not been demanded for in polls we have seen, nor has even our SWF spr Venus caught wind of any support. That being said, in the west he is generally in the top three/five of the most desired in probably pretty much anything. This simply means that, when Sakurai looks into gathering Western characters, which he will do, he may grab King K. Rool, which is a high possibility.

Going back to the aforementioned Dixie that had equal demand in the source from where the Sun rises. It is important to not disregard her so easily. I personally do not have more demand for one or the other, mind you. But we must remember that Dixie, while not being solo for Brawl, was intended to be in, and was cut due to complications. While she did not come back as a full-fledged character in the game, it is possible Sakurai might feel she has her foot in the door already, and thus precedence. This is all possibilities, but that is enough, and after all, all evidence is probable in our humble hands. This is also important because let's assume Dixie does get in, what are the chances Rool will get in? Better yet, what is the likelihood of the DK series even getting one? Many suspect it might not be overly deserving of more than two (while it may deserve more than Starfox, but then again, it resulted in three "clone" like characters). These questions, while some may feel aren't big enough hurdle to stop this giant dude, when one does, attention must be drawn to the word "feel". As such, King K Rool's western demand is really the selling point of this character, and the only thing we can rely on, and the only thing we can trust.

As such, I rate him with a B in chances. S is off limits no doubt, but A also seems to feel too close to it. In terms of how much I'd like him, I also give a B, primarily because I'd know us over at the west would be pleased.

If we can nominate again, then I put forth all five votes to Ghirahim.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To add to my other post, where I gave K. Rool an S in want, I want to give him a 4.99 in likeliness.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Finally jumping in on the juicy prediction stuff, which apparently, I'm late for.

I've perused what has currently been said enough to grasp the general opinion (more or less, people have all said the same thing, which tells me there is very little to say with this one, all to be expected from the highest nominated character). I cannot put him at "S" likelihood, not only from my view as that no one should be there, as SSBF also pointed out, but also because I don't view him as a lock (in theory, that is, and in practice, Sakurai will basically do whatever he wishes, and we can't assume he'll do this theory by the book roster, that'd be foolish). So I guess S is for Sakurai. :awesome:

But anyways, it is interesting to note that his popularity in the east is not particularly strong, his strongest fan could only bring one piece of evidence from someone who posted something (and interestingly, that very same resource showed Dixie to have similar demand), whereas King K. Rool has reportedly not been demanded for in polls we have seen, nor has even our SWF spr Venus caught wind of any support. That being said, in the west he is generally in the top three/five of the most desired in probably pretty much anything. This simply means that, when Sakurai looks into gathering Western characters, which he will do, he may grab King K. Rool, which is a high possibility.

Going back to the aforementioned Dixie that had equal demand in the source from where the Sun rises. It is important to not disregard her so easily. I personally do not have more demand for one or the other, mind you. But we must remember that Dixie, while not being solo for Brawl, was intended to be in, and was cut due to complications. While she did not come back as a full-fledged character in the game, it is possible Sakurai might feel she has her foot in the door already, and thus precedence. This is all possibilities, but that is enough, and after all, all evidence is probable in our humble hands. This is also important because let's assume Dixie does get in, what are the chances Rool will get in? Better yet, what is the likelihood of the DK series even getting one? Many suspect it might not be overly deserving of more than two (while it may deserve more than Starfox, but then again, it resulted in three "clone" like characters). These questions, while some may feel aren't big enough hurdle to stop this giant dude, when one does, attention must be drawn to the word "feel". As such, King K Rool's western demand is really the selling point of this character, and the only thing we can rely on, and the only thing we can trust.

As such, I rate him with a B in chances. S is off limits no doubt, but A also seems to feel too close to it. In terms of how much I'd like him, I also give a B, primarily because I'd know us over at the west would be pleased.

If we can nominate again, then I put forth all five votes to Ghirahim.
Finally!! i was wondering when people would stop sucking krool's ******

Anyway i second PRETTY MUCH everything here so i give him a B in want, and a 3.75 in likelihood...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm confused about something. I've already nominated five characters before the second day, and yet I'm seeing more nominations today.

I already posted my opinion on K. Rool. Am I supposed to nominate five characters again or something?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I give him A. It's quite evident that he's a major DK-character to yet make an appearance, and his character as a balanced funny but still ruthless and fearsome villain should already be given a spin for Smash. Unless Sakurai really doesn't care of completing DK's roster, he already seems pretty likely and has loads of popularity in the west. On the other hand he's not as big as Dixie on the east, but he's a noted character anyway there too. But it's still up to Sakurai to complete the DK-roster and if he feels like so.

I predict him on the scale of 4.45. Close, but not very close.

If I can nominate now: (I dunno if it's appliable now M&S Guy but I'll wait for SSBFan to come here)

Starfy x2

Lip x1

Saki x2

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Since I've already posted my 'want' ranking on him(A), my likelihood raking for him is 4 out of 5.
He's probably the most requested character here in the West, and is also pretty popular in Japan, I think he'll get in.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Want rank A, rating 3/5

Nominate:

Sukapon x2
Geno x2
Dunsparce

D

Deleted member

I've been noticing quite a few votes for how likely King K. Rool is (even thought as I stated multiple times before, votes for how likely a character is do not count during a discussion phase and will only count during the voting phase) that are using numbers instead of the letter grade required in order for likelihood votes to count. So I'll go ahead and say this:

The only way votes for likelihood and wants are going to be counted is if they use the letter grade system I used. The only time you will need to use numbers is if you are going to make a prediction during the discussion phase for what the character gets in the voting phase. Likelihood and want votes that uses numbers (with or without decimals) instead of the letter grade system will go uncounted.

I must be really lousy as explaining how this suppose to work, so I'm going to try to make an example format that should help clarify how it works.

Also, to answer Mario_and_Sonic's Guy's question, you have the ability to nominate five times every day (or ten if you win the prediction). So feel free to nominate whomever you wish.
Giving K. Rool an A (I really want him but he's second to Takamaru)
Prediction: 4.1/5 (82% Chance of Inclusion)

K. Rool Has been an integral part of the Donkey Kong Country series, a series exclusive to Nintendo Consoles, K. Rool has only made appearances on Nintendo Systems, He is not popular in the East but as time goes on more western characters are bound to be included, his cartoonish style compliments the smash bros. universe. Dixie was originally intended to be in Brawl so she might take the spotlight away, and as Sakurai already included a new DK character there is a chance he might not feel inclined to add another, when compared to series that still beg for a newcomer like Yoshi and F-Zero.
Is the prediction the score you predict King K. Rool will receive when he enters the voting phase for likelihood tomorrow? Remember, predictions are for predicting how close K. Rool gets for how he does in the voting phase for likelihoods, not for how likely you think King K. Rool is. If that's for predicting what he gets in likelihood tomorrow, then that's a good format to follow, but if you are saying that's his overall chance of getting in, then you need to give me my prediction for him by 8:50 PM CST today (when Day Three starts) or your prediction will go unnoticed and you will not be eligible to win five more nominations.
--- said:
@SSBF: Thought we were waiting to vote until tomorow, or are these everyone's prediction votes? Let me know just in case I miss voting.
In regards to voting, people are free to vote how much they want a character using the letter grade system in the discussion and voting phase and edit it until the voting phase ends for a character. However, we are not suppose to be voting for likelihood just yet, just discussing it, but so far, most everyone has given out a likelihood vote. I won't punish anyone for voting for likelihood prematurely as that would be just cruel, but it looks as I'll have to continue to stress that voting for likelihood only counts during the voting phase until everyone understands.
jigglover said:
Edit: Forgot about number score... 3.89.
Is this for predictions? I'm going to assume that's the case unless you clarify otherwise.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Oh, we need a want and a likeliness? both outta 5? Well, for want I'd give him a 4/5. I've already rated his likelyness. He gets the 4 because I love villains, but I actually kind of like Funky Kong more, which is why no 5.

D

Deleted member

Oh, we need a want and a likeliness? both outta 5? Well, for want I'd give him a 4/5. I've already rated his likelyness. He gets the 4 because I love villains, but I actually kind of like Funky Kong more, which is why no 5.
You don't need to rate how much you want a character as that is optional, but if you are going to discuss a character and have time to do so, make sure you discuss and vote for how likely he/she/it is during the discussion and voting phase for the character up (or if failing that, giving out a vote in likelihood and explaining it during the voting phase, although do be aware that the character during the voting phase is not the main character being discussed, so debates must cease during the voting phase). Also make sure to explain why you gave the likelihood rating you did (explaining how much you want a character is optional and not required, if you want to use the want system, just put in a letter grade). You did that with King K. Rool this phase, so all you have to do tomorrow along with others who did explain their thoughts for King K. Rool's likeliness is use the letter grade system to vote for K. Rool's likelihood from your interpretation of his chances.

Also, we are using the letter grade system for wants and likelihood. Number votes for wants and likelihood will not be counted, no exceptions.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It appears I've goofed. My nomination is still Muddy Mole x5, but I say S for my rating and 4.5 for the prediction. Is that the correct format?

D

Deleted member

It appears I've goofed. My nomination is still Muddy Mole x5, but I say S for my rating and 4.5 for the prediction. Is that the correct format?
Considering that the S rating is for what you want, and 4.5 is for predicting King K. Rool's likelihood score during the voting phase next Game Day (Day Three), that works. I think your post with all those would look something like this:
Opossum said:
Ah, King K. Rool. In all honesty, he's the only character that I would be absolutely shocked and disappointed if they were to not be playable. He's got a plethora of potential for a moveset, with his crown, klaptraps, a Blunderbuss, a helicopter pack, cannonballs, boxing moves, and a giant machine that can wipe away an entire island. (Off topic, but now that I think about it, could the Subspace Cannon be a reference to the Blast-o-Matic?) He's got support stateside and in the land of the rising sun. Virtually nothing stands in his way. People may bring up DKCR, but the backlash of not including K. Rool is evident to his popularity. Plus, Diddy Kong missed Jungle Beat, and was still in Brawl. Not to mention his crazy psychotically funny personality.

I'd certainly put him in the Strong S tier for how much I want him. I will also predict that tomorrow, King K. Rool lands a 4.5 on average.

As for nominations, I'll put in 5x for Muddy Mole.
@R.O.B and Jigglover.: You may not nominate more than five characters in a day unless you were to win the prediction for King K. Rool's likelihood score tomorrow. Either pick what you want to see or I am taking off the last characters you nominated.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, today is King K. Rool? Okay, let's see if I can do this right...

How much do I want him? A. Yes, I really want to play as King K. Rool in Smash!

What's the likelihood? 3.5. Yeah, I think he is very likely but not that likely. I think he is very likely because he is still one of the most wanted characters in Smash since pre-Brawl. He seems to be that kind of character that would capture Sakurai's interest due to his interesting boss fights in the original DKC trilogy. I think he is not that likely because there is a chance Sakurai might put in only one DK newcomer instead of two and that newcomer could be Dixie Kong because Sakurai did plan to add her in Brawl at one point.

I nominate...
Dixie Kong
Toad
Duck Hunt Dog
Tingle
Meowth

D

Deleted member

So, today is King K. Rool? Okay, let's see if I can do this right...

How much do I want him? A. Yes, I really want to play as King K. Rool in Smash!

What's the likelihood? 3.5. Yeah, I think he is very likely but not that likely. I think he is very likely because he is still one of the most wanted characters in Smash since pre-Brawl. He seems to be that kind of character that would capture Sakurai's interest due to his interesting boss fights in the original DKC trilogy. I think he is not that likely because there is a chance Sakurai might put in only one DK newcomer instead of two and that newcomer could be Dixie Kong because Sakurai did plan to add her in Brawl at one point.

I nominate...
Dixie Kong
Toad
Duck Hunt Dog
Tingle
Meowth
The formatting is flawed. You are not suppose to rate his likelihood until the voting phase, which will start for King K. Rool at 8:50 PM CST today, today is when you discuss King K. Rool's likelihood (like you're doing). Also, when rating in likelihood, you must use the letter grade system that I used in the OP, using a number for voting in likelihood will not be counted. The rest is good, although you still have a couple of hours left to add in what you predict King K. Rool gets during the Voting Phase in likelihood.
Holder of the Heel said:
I cannot put him at "S" likelihood, not only from my view as that no one should be there, as SSBF also pointed out, but also because I don't view him as a lock (in theory, that is, and in practice, Sakurai will basically do whatever he wishes, and we can't assume he'll do this theory by the book roster, that'd be foolish).
I don't think I remember stating that no character deserved to be in the S tier, else I wouldn't have added one.

As I stated in the OP under the How To Play section, how we use the letter grade system I laid out (S, A, B, C, D, F) is up to our own interpretation. Meaning that some people can view S as a guarantee while others view it as characters that are very close to shoe-in status, but not quite there. Likewise, some people view F as ruling out candidates that they feel have no shot whatsoever of getting in whereas some may use F for characters that may have a minuscule chance, but those are so small that it's not worth mentioning them. And of course different interpretation for S and F along with other letter grades. I simply laid down mine as an example if people wanted to see an example of such interpretation.

My interpretation for S tier is someone that I feel is very close to shoe-in status, with almost everything going for them, with an extremely slight margin of error. I personally believe that there are a few characters that do meet this high standard of likelihood and feel as they are the ones I would be heavily surprised to not see in Smash. Now if I thought S tier meant you were guarantee, of course no one would be there because when it comes to newcomers and returnees, there are no guarantees. Heck, we can't even prove that Mario is returning since there is almost zero info on characters (nothing solid at the moment, remember, Sakurai did say "Pit might be in").

Just something I wanted to respond to, it was rather interesting that you did bring this up for discussion. Glad to have you participating in this discussion. Hopefully when we can get this formatting stuff straighten out some really good debates will come out of this thread.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The formatting is flawed. You are not suppose to rate his likelihood until the voting phase, which will start for King K. Rool at 8:50 PM CST today, today is when you discuss King K. Rool's likelihood (like you're doing). Also, when rating in likelihood, you must use the letter grade system that I used in the OP, using a number for voting in likelihood will not be counted. The rest is good, although you still have a couple of hours left to add in what you predict King K. Rool gets during the Voting Phase in likelihood.I don't think I remember stating that no character deserved to be in the S tier, else I wouldn't have added one.
I looked back at the OP to see what I saw that made me think that, and I majorly misunderstood what you meant.

Bias is inevitable when it comes to opinions, but keep them in check. Giving a character a S in likelihood because you think it would be awesome is not going to be counted.
I missed the bolded, and feel slightly embarrassed. :laugh: So I thought you felt that S was highly suspected to be bias. My sincerest apologies SSBF. Perhaps my view of the letter S muddled it as well, ironically my bias may have confused me about it. XD

Just something I wanted to respond to, it was rather interesting that you did bring this up for discussion. Glad to have you participating in this discussion. Hopefully when we can get this formatting stuff straighten out some really good debates will come out of this thread.
Glad to be a part. I just personally feel S is the rank that is there not to pick it, but to pick your score in relation to it, and as such your score may come out humbler than what you originally would have selected (pure theory talk). I think most people put a higher letter than I did, so it may be true. Then again, I'm just not bananas over the guy.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think the only true competition that King K. Rool has is from Dixie. I know many diehard King K. Rool supporters will deny this competition but its there. King K. Rool has been in more DKC and spin-off games granted but Dixie Kong holds the popularity within Japan and is much more recognizable there. Additionally, we may see Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 before the launch of Smash 4 which may or may not sway Sakurai's views on adding/passing on Dixie. However, when you put King K. Rool against Dixie, I think K. Rool has the advantage.

However, who is to say that DK may be given two character slots? ψ(`∇´)ψ

D

Deleted member

@Venus of the Desert Bloom: ChronoBound and ToiseofChoice are some of the most intellectual members of the Smash 4 speculation community. Would be nice if one of them came to this forum to prove their findings, but I do say that I do trust their source and doubt they are lying.

Speaking of sources, ChronoBound in March, 2012 looked at this website from Japan. According to him, he said that Dixie Kong topped King K. Rool in this site, although did mention both got many requests. So there is some evidence of K. Rool being popular in the East here.

Of course I can't look at it since my computer can't read Japanese letter (yeah, it sucks in comparison to most), but you can verify this if you want. Also, he said these other things in relation to characters in general:
There was a Japanese gaming blog asking its readers what characters it would like to see as newcomers in Smash 4. There were hundreds of posts to the blog entry, and it was very time-consuming to read all of it. Here is what I saw based on what I read.

- Mewtwo and Roy are BY FAR the most requested characters for Smash 4. There are no other characters that come close to them in the amount of requests in the comments.

- The true newcomers with the most requests are Waluigi and Starfy. I have not seen Waluigi perform as strongly on other Japanese sites (though he does usually get more requests than Toad and Paper Mario)

- For Mario characters its Waluigi>Geno=Dr. Mario(either asking for him back or asking for him back as a costume)>Bowser Jr.=Toad

- For Donkey Kong its Dixie Kong > K. Rool, both got many requests, though Dixie Kong more so, usually its the over way around.

- Ridley, Little Mac, Takamaru, Samurai Goroh, Krystal, Isaac, Saki, Lip, Sukapon got barely any requests (2 or 3)

- Black Shadow is easily the favorite for a F-Zero newcomer.

- Gooey (the second playable character from Dream Land 3) has quite a bit of support in the comments for some reason. The next most supported Kirby character is Galactica Knight.

- Kumatora is the most requested female character outside of Dixie Kong. She is the only Mother character to get a decent amount of requests.

- For Fire Emblem, the only character to receive a notable amount of requests was Roy (of which he probably had the most requests of any character).

- For Pokemon, Mewtwo left every character in the dust (except Roy). However, there were quite a few Pokemon that received a lot of requests. Zoroark received many requests. However, both Victini and Black/White Trainer also received quite a few requests.

- Basically no requests for Zelda characters.

- Barely any requests for Kid Icarus characters (I think Palutena came up three times though).

- Mega Man is the most wanted third-party character.

- Ryu and Leon from Resident Evil also have quite a bit of support.

- For Square-Enix characters, the characters that got the most support were Geno, Cloud, Terry (Dragon Quest), and Sora

- Lots of idiots suggesting anime characters. Doraemon, Goku, Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanaho were what I saw come up the most.
Note that this was a few months ago (he brought it up March 12th, 2012 on GameFAQs), so the data is kind of old and may have changed since then.

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
I look at it like this...

Imagine if for melee the choice had been between adding Bowser or Peach to the lineup but not both. In my opinion bowser would have been the obvious choice because he is the villain and is as important as Peach but already has a somewhat obvious moveset.

The same is for K. Rrool V. Dixie Kong. K. Rool is a more important and long lived character than Dixie Kong, he's the missing villain from the DK series, and he has a more obvious moveset than Dixie Kong.

That being said, I think they will both get it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom