• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate And Discuss Their Chances: Old thread needs to be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think the idea of voting for the same characters again might be a bad idea in the long run. Once seems to be good enough for the sake of fairness.
Are you referring to how re-voting the same character can deny characters who haven't gone before the opportunity to be rated?

If so, then I completely forgot to mention this in the OP, but one way to prevent re-votes from getting in the way of new characters is when we have days for re-voting, it will not replace the day for new characters, but rather compliment the new day.

So let's say that we're in Day 35 and Ray from Custom Robo is the next new character to be discussed. But on that same day, King K. Rool gets 100 votes to get a re-vote. Rather than King K. Rool take over Ray's spot for the day, both will be discussed instead and rated on Day 36.

D

Deleted member

Nope, that was just a mistake on my behalf, which was corrected.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
SSBF, I noticed that Ness is not on either the veterans, already accepted or nominations list. Am I missing something or is this just a mistake?

Also, my 5 nominations are:

K. Rool
Lucas x 2
Megaman
Toad

Wanted to pick ones that would give interesting discussion :p

D

Deleted member

SSBF, I noticed that Ness is not on either the veterans, already accepted or nominations list. Am I missing something or is this just a mistake?

Also, my 5 nominations are:

K. Rool
Lucas x 2
Megaman
Toad

Wanted to pick ones that would give interesting discussion :p
Well I didn't put him up immediately as a S in likelihood for the final result because there are detractors for Ness and those who think the possibility of him being cut exist, but he is a veteran.

Also, Ness isn't on the nomination list yet because he hasn't gotten nominations yet.

D

Deleted member

Around ten hours left before the second day begins. Going to start working on flavor for the ones most likely to start off Day One.

Edit: I have decided not to post these in support threads. Those who are interested will check this out anyway and those who aren't won't budge with this thread. Rule #7 still stands as I will not allow this game to influence Smash 4 character speculation.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Sure. Just remember that you still only have five nominations to use, so use them wisely.
If I am allowed to change my votes...

Previous Votes
Issac
Paper Mario
Lloyd Irving
Team Rocket: Golbat-Raticate-Muk
Skull Kid

New Vottes
Lloyd Irving x2
Paper Mario
Issac

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
I wonder why isn't Quote from Cave Story in here... that makes me maaad. >:O
Also I nominate Lucas, Andy and Ghraihim. and Kyouhei/Barry.

D

Deleted member

Just nominate the character you want to see on here and it'll be on the list as long as it is eligible. Quote has been added to the nomination list and nomination list is updated.

Also, would anyone object to me starting this in 90-150 minutes? I can type in some quick flavor during my thirty minute lunch break when it comes. After all, it has been over twenty four hours.

Will be back later, 15 minute break is over.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wouldn't oppose. After all, it's your thread. Update the day whenever you like!

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Well if we are doing multiple votes for single characters, then I would nominate:

Lloyd Irving x5

Honestly I'm not fond of that method, so if the voting system changes, these are my top 5:

1) Lloyd Irving
2) Rebecca Chambers
3) Kunio
4) Collette Brunel
5) Steve (Minecraft)

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Well if we are doing multiple votes for single characters, then I would nominate:

Lloyd Irving x5

Honestly I'm not fond of that method, so if the voting system changes, these are my top 5:

1) Lloyd Irving
2) Rebecca Chambers
3) Kunio
4) Collette Brunel
5) Steve (Minecraft)
AS much as I love your Lloyd x5, I don't think you can vote Steve, as he has never made a Nintendo appearance.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
AS much as I love your Lloyd x5, I don't think you can vote Steve, as he has never made a Nintendo appearance.
So you disagree with him twice? Dude the first post says its just a game and yer supposed to choose characters who have an S chance or an F chance or sumthin like that. Speaking of which I should have voted for Ness as he has no votes yet!

D

Deleted member

"The sun sets on the dawn of the game. Fans awaited anxiously for who would come first, their desire screaming out of them to debate whoever was up...

Twenty-eight painful hours of anticipation was finally rewarded when King K. Rool stepped upon the stage. K. Rool at first appeared aloof and a bum with his show-off style, confusing many people. However, when a hater mocked him. K. Rool sent his Klaptrap to take care of him. When the Klaptrap was done, the hater was silenced as he was owned. His glaring eyes questioned any potential mockers.

After that, his trial began. People in the stadium would now debate his odds, thought they were not ready to vote yet."

Day Two has begun! Aside from being able to nominate five characters of your choice (or if you want, put multiple votes on a few or even all on one), you may discuss King K. Rool's odds, thought you may not vote on likelihood until the voting phase tomorrow. However, feel free to vote on how much you want K. Rool and predict the outcome of his score. Day Two lasts until 8:50 PM CST on July 18th, 2012!

And remember, use a letter grade system from F to S for how much you want a character.

D

Deleted member

Uh, game has begun.

Anyway, I am nominating Lucario, Krystal, Mach Rider, Isaac, and Saki Amamiya.

I give King K. Rool a S in how much I want him. He would make a brilliant addition and would fit excellently with the rest of the past. Also, those memories of him in Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong 64 were so good. Should definitely be in this game.

I will offer my arguments in regards to likelihood later. Anyone is free to make the opening argument.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I personally would say A for wanting King K. Rool. He's a type of character that is very persistent with getting what he wants, and becomes more demented with every failure. He is also a very diverse character and has a hint of cartoon humor within his evilness.

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah, King K. Rool. In all honesty, he's the only character that I would be absolutely shocked and disappointed if they were to not be playable. He's got a plethora of potential for a moveset, with his crown, klaptraps, a Blunderbuss, a helicopter pack, cannonballs, boxing moves, and a giant machine that can wipe away an entire island. (Off topic, but now that I think about it, could the Subspace Cannon be a reference to the Blast-o-Matic?) He's got support stateside and in the land of the rising sun. Virtually nothing stands in his way. People may bring up DKCR, but the backlash of not including K. Rool is evident to his popularity. Plus, Diddy Kong missed Jungle Beat, and was still in Brawl. Not to mention his crazy psychotically funny personality.

Overall, K. Rool's got it all. I'd certainly put him in the Strong S Tier.

As for nominations, I'll put in 5x for Muddy Mole.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
Uh, game has begun.

Anyway, I am nominating Lucario, Krystal, Mach Rider, Isaac, and Saki Amamiya.

I give King K. Rool a S in how much I want him. He would make a brilliant addition and would fit excellently with the rest of the past. Also, those memories of him in Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong 64 were so good. Should definitely be in this game.

I will offer my arguments in regards to likelihood later. Anyone is free to make the opening argument.
What I got from this is secondary round of voting and K.Rool discussion with want rating? Will do.

(2nd)Nominees
Lloyd Irving
Paper Mario x2
Issac

K.Rool:
Despite me not nominating him, it seemed he already was getting enough votes. K.Rool would be a fantastic addition and would be a much needed fighter to the DK series over anybody else, probably even diddy. The thought that he might not be playable because of Rare doesn't exactly work because he was a playable character in Mario Super Sluggers. Which was released in 2008 and Rare was bought by Microsoft in 2002 (I have heard this argument before). No reason he couldn't be in, most well known villian in the DK universe, great moveset potential, want?
A

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Again, we should get the obvious ones out of the way, so my next votes go to :
Ridley
Waluigi
Megaman
Mewtwo
Roy(how come nobody has mentioned him yet ?)

As for K. Rool, I think he's a pretty cool guy. A

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
King K. Rool

I give him an A

I'd give him an S, but the only game I played with him in it was the original Donkey Kong Country. (The Gameboy Advance one at that :C )

So I don't feel like i'm worthy of giving him an S, BUT I really would love to see him in it. He is a very important rep in the DK Franchise, and would add another heavyweight character to the roster.

He has my support :) (In my Top 6!)

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
K. Rool would be cool to have as a character; specially as he is DK's main bad guy since the DKC series in 1994. However, as he is a character of western origin; it is something that fights his odds of getting in; but lately he seems to be getting recognition in Japan. So I would give him an "S-."

Also, S in costumes, as he should appear in his various different attires; King, pirate, Scientist and boxer. Maybe his powers could change depending of his suit.

I believe Ridley will win the next round around x20 votes.

My nominations:

Mega Man x1
Sophitia Alexandra x2
Sabrina (Pokemon) x1
Ayane (Dead Or Alive) x1.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think that King K. Rool is deserving of the spot; even more so from one of my most wanted characters, Dixie Kong. Despite this, I am unsure if we will see him in Smash 4 due to Nintendo`s lack of respect for the character. Additionally, King K. Rool, along with Ridley, are not highly requested by Japanese gamers thus would be included mostly to help please Western audiences. That alone hurts his chances severely and decreases his likeliness. However, King K. Rool is a very unique and crazy personality, an amazing move set pool to pull from, and could play a pivotal role in a future story mode as a antagonist alongside the likes of Bowser, Wario, and Ganondorf.

So while he is very popular,requested with Western gamers, amazing move set potential, and general wackyness; the lack of his popularity within Japan and Nintendo snubbing him out of the most recent reboot of the DKC series leaves me slightly doubtful of this Kremlingian King chances.

King K. Rool gets a realistic B from me (I wish I could give him an S though.)

As for nominations,

1. Dark Samus
2. Palutena
3. Shulk
4. Mach Rider
5. Toon Zelda

Oh and here is a song to help rep King K. Rool for Music for all to Enjoy

King K. Rool`s Battle Themes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4rIJZ-rZvo

yani

Smash Lord
My want for King K.Rool is definitely an S. Being able to play as the villain of my favorite Nintendo franchise is too good to pass up :bee:

Nominate:
Sonic x2
Shulk x3

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Nominations
Ridley
Mewtwo
Dark Samus
Tingle
Ganondorf (de-cloned)

King K. Rool: A for personal bias; 3.48 for predictions

He would make such a great character with his quirkiness & "dirty fighting." He has an arsenal of moves & gadgets to choose from to make him a very interesting fighter. The only argument against this deranged krocodile is that he wasn't in DKCR. Something so trivial wouldn't stop a king, would it?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I give K. Rool an A
He's a perfect fit for the Smash Bros. universe with the only thing in his way being a lack of popularity in the east. But Sakurai is not blind to our pleas. Who thought we'd ever see the day Charizard and Diddy would be butting heads with Sonic? And who doesn't love a wacky villain? I'm not gonna say Smash Bros. needs more villains, however I will say more wacky = more fun right? His cartoonish flair compliments the other smashers and he has appeared in a plethora of games, most notably as the main boss in the DKC series.

My Nominations ( I voted in Phase 1 do we vote again in Phase 2?)
1) Takamaru
2) Chibi-Robo [A]
3) Ridley
4)Black Shadow [C]
5) Megaman [F]

Smash Rookie
Are we supposed to vote again?

Hmm, anyway.
K. Rool - B

Kaptain K. Rool is a popular character and one who comes to the front of peoples minds when thinking about likely characters to be included in Smash Brothers for easy to understand reasons. He's been the main boss in a few notable games in Nintendo's history and has great potential for a unique and fun moveset.
But we have to consider how many roster slots the Donkey Kong series will get, and who is his competition. It's a given that Donkey Kong will get 3 reps in the game, and I'm sure if they get 4 then K. Rool's inclusion is a certainty. If they don't however, the big question is if K. Rool will be the first choice for a playable character, the main block being Dixie Kong. I tend to think K. Rool has worse odds, because -
-Dixie was originally intended to be playable in Brawl
-K. Rool's last game was DK: King of Swing 2005, while Dixie was playable in Diddy Kong Racers and Donkey Kong Barrel Blast both 2007.
-K. Rool was notably not the final boss of DKC Returns.

I also think if Sakurai includes boss battles like from Brawl, K. Rool could be regulated to a Petey Piranha/Ridley position.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
His lack of popularity in Japan? Balderdash.

Chronobound said:
As with other Japanese request topics, the main trends are:
- Mewtwo & Roy have far more requests than the actual true newcomers.
- Mega Man is by far the most requested third-party character.
- Both K. Rool and Dixie Kong get a lot of support.
Between Japan, Europe (his creators' country of origin) and America, K. Rool is quite possibly the most unanimously desired newcomer worldwide, and plays a major role in his franchise (he also has great moveset potential, but if we're not accusing characters of having no potential, I'll refrain from doing the opposite). He faces no competition from Dixie, and his absence from Returns has no impact on his playable chances. In fact, his relevance only seems to ever get brought up as a half-hearted argument against him by a select few users as a way to mask their own hatred for the character...
let's see if those select few show their faces here.

I may as well copypaste my counterpoint analysis from the K. Rool thread, just to save time.

BKupa666 said:
A COLLECTION OF COMMON COUNTERPOINTS

Although support for K. Rool as an SSB4 character is very nearly unanimous, a small number of doubters and dissenters emerge from time to time to speak out against him. Here is where we analyze the most common of these arguments, which have prompted some users to question K. Rool's likelihood.

Argument #1: K. Rool is Irrelevant to the Modern Donkey Kong Franchise
Although many anticipated K. Rool's appearance in Retro Studios' Donkey Kong Country Returns, he was omitted from the game for reasons unknown. Perhaps the company wished to try its hand (literally, looking at the final boss) at a villain of their own, or they wished to rewrite K. Rool out of his own franchise. His removal prompted a rather large amount of backlash across the Internet, and Returns' actual final boss is often remembered less than fondly as just another generic 'hands' boss. Because of this (not to mention the fact that the aforementioned final boss is utterly destroyed at DKCR's end), it is likely K. Rool will be reinstated in his proper villain role next time around.

K. Rool's absence from DKCR has little to no impact on his playable chances. In fact, his situation is somewhat similar to that of Brawl's Donkey Kong newcomer, Diddy Kong. Despite his absence from Jungle Beat, the DK game that would go on to receive the most focus in Brawl, he was included for all the same reasons K. Rool will be this time around (popularity, franchise importance, potential, etc.). Returns will likely receive quite a bit of content in SSB4, but K. Rool's absence from this one (admittedly important) game will not hinder his likelihood, much like Diddy Kong's Jungle Beat absence did not for him.

Regardless of how many one-shot villains Nintendo has thrown into the DK series over the years, K. Rool and his Kremling Krew have remained (and will remain) its most popular antagonists. You can bet that a playable K. Rool in SSB4 would guarantee his return to the DK series, hopefully once and for all.

Argument #2: K. Rool Will Not be Added Because Dixie Kong is More Likely/Part of the Forbidden Seven/Has Been Shown Interest
It is my belief that this argument is still used mainly because people misinterpret the role Dixie Kong would have played in Brawl had she not been cut. Some users seem to believe that Dixie Kong would have become a standalone third DK character, with a moveset of her own. Because, these users argue, Sakurai tends to revisit characters he cut from previous games, Dixie Kong is a shoo-in for SSB4, which would bump K. Rool out of contention, since the consensus seems to be that the DK series will receive three characters in the game, however much it deserves four (and it most certainly does, what with it being Nintendo's best-selling series behind Mario, Pokemon and Zelda).

Dixie Kong was only ever planned as a partner for Diddy, a 'Nana' if you will (not a baNana, but a female Ice Climber). Here is a link for proof of her duo character status, with the most telling quote included below:

In the latest Famitsu […] Sakurai is interviewed specifically about the newcomers […] and mentioned that originally Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong were meant to be a pair character that tagged between each other, but the plan was changed due to difficulties encountered.
At this point, since Diddy has already received a well-designed, competitive moveset as an individual, it is doubtful Dixie would be added to it in SSB4. Although it is not necessarily an established trend, Sakurai seems to avoid making major changes to characters' movesets (aside from a few odd specials, e.g. FLUDD) so as to not alienate those who became accustomed to the character during the previous game. Plus, one would think that Dixie would not be added to Diddy when both characters are established as competent adventurers on their own, much less when Diddy is most notably portrayed as DK's partner in games like Returns, rather than Dixie's. Dixie would only ever be included in SSB4 as a solo character, and after K. Rool at that, due to his superiority in fanbase size, moveset potential, and importance, among things.

Argument #3: K. Rool is a Dull Bowser Clone
This "argument" (read: minority opinion) really ought to have died out by now, but I'll throw it in here for completion's sake. K. Rool's personality is rather different than Bowser's, with the former being a demented yet intelligent schemer with a penchant for dressing up, while the latter is a more brutish, persistent oaf with a massive boastful streak. Their movesets would also differ drastically, due to K. Rool preferring weapons to physical combat. I really shouldn't have to explain why it is physically impossible for the two characters to become clones of each other.

Argument #4: K. Rool Will Never Be Playable! The Kremlings Are Still Owned by Rare!
Oh, you say K. Rool is owned by Rare? I suppose his appearances in DK: King of Swing, DK Jungle Climber, DK Barrel Blast and Mario Super Sluggers were merely coincidental.
...yeah, if it weren't obvious, K. Rool gets an S (+) from me in terms of want. I predict him receiving some form of A due to people not being convinced that his "lack of relevance" is, in fact, a poor argument.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@SSBF: Thought we were waiting to vote until tomorow, or are these everyone's prediction votes? Let me know just in case I miss voting.

Anyway he's one of those few, in fact the only, popular character/s that have no evidence towards Sakurai's opinion towards them or having had a decent cameo role in the Smash series (always has been a trophy/sticker).

Not being in Returns isn't really a factor at all, and he has the same popularity he always has had and is still a well recognized character, and unlike Brawl, now has Diddy (and maybe Dixie) out of the way. Overall I think he's much better off than ever before, but no Sakurai related evidence holds me back from saying he's as high up in the pool as people say often say he is.

MelMoe

Smash Journeyman
Right now we are voting for how much we want King K. Rool playable. We also predict the final score in likeliness before the actual results.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
K rool?

idk. I'd give him a B
I feel feel like the DK series may not get another Rep. I also feel like K Rool has been out of the spotlight for a while, while funky kong was in Mario Kart Wii. I mean, I think K Rool has a lot going for him. Just not sure about his chances.

Nominations?

Ridley - 3
Chaos (Sonic series) - 1 (LOL)
Aaaannddddd Shy Guy - 1

D

Deleted member

Glad to see that this picked up really quick. Looking forward to this debate and all debates.
Right now we are voting for how much we want King K. Rool playable. We also predict the final score in likeliness before the actual results.

Exactly. This is also the day when we discuss and speculate on how likely King K. Rool is. The reason why I am not counting votes for likelihood during the discussion phase is so that people have the opportunity to read pros and cons argument for the character. Doing so allows for a reduce in bias during the voting phase (people are allowed to give final thoughts, but debate ceases and I will direct the debates to the Social Roster thread and if there is one, a support thread). I think people just got confused.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Giving K. Rool an A (I really want him but he's second to Takamaru)
Prediction: 4.1/5 (82% Chance of Inclusion)

K. Rool Has been an integral part of the Donkey Kong Country series, a series exclusive to Nintendo Consoles, K. Rool has only made appearances on Nintendo Systems, He is not popular in the East but as time goes on more western characters are bound to be included, his cartoonish style compliments the smash bros. universe. Dixie was originally intended to be in Brawl so she might take the spotlight away, and as Sakurai already included a new DK character there is a chance he might not feel inclined to add another, when compared to series that still beg for a newcomer like Yoshi and F-Zero.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool would be cool to have as a character; specially as he is DK's main bad guy since the DKC series in 1994. However, as he is a character of western origin; it is something that fights his odds of getting in; but lately he seems to be getting recognition in Japan. So I would give him an "S-."

Also, S in costumes, as he should appear in his various different attires; King, pirate, Scientist and boxer. Maybe his powers could change depending of his suit.

I believe Ridley will win the next round around x20 votes.

My nominations:

Mega Man x1
Sophitia Alexandra x2
Sabrina (Pokemon) x1
Ayane (Dead Or Alive) x1.
Seeing how it will sell better in the west, just based on the amount of people, i'd say they should pay attention to the west audience more than they do.
source? http://www.vgchartz.com/game/6962/super-smash-bros-brawl/

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
His lack of popularity in Japan? Balderdash.
I guess I could bring this to the K. Rool thread but since debates are welcome, I`ll post here.

I am curious of the website Chrono found the information from. I PMd him concerning Japanese Smash websites and where he has access to them. I even looked around and did a Japanese google search for Kingu Kuuru and Sumabura WIIU and found nothing. It would be great to be able to see an actual poll to see where K. Rool stands with other characters.

That being said, it would be great if a source was cited and even greater if more than one source was compared and contrasted. While I don`t doubt King K. Rool isn`t a popular character in Japan; everything I have heard and read points that he isn`t that popular or requested.

BTW I am not arguing against Rool. Just wanted to highlight on the Japan argument.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'll give King K. Rool a 4.7 (S).

Let's break a couple of things down. For starters, he has a very large role in the Donkey Kong universe, acting as the main antagonist of the series. Combine that with his ever-growing popularity and demand for an inclusion to the Smash 4 roster, and you've got a character who has a high probability of being added to Smash 4. It's not even about the fact that the game could use a Donkey Kong villain more than the fact that K. Rool has made enough of an impact as a character to warrant an inclusion. Yes, we have characters like Dixie Kong, who has made an impact as well, but her impact wasn't nearly as large as K. Rool's, who has been around since the first Donkey Kong Country. Then you have his various incarnations; King K. Rool, Kaptain K. Rool, and Baron K. Roolenstein, all of which the developers can draw inspiration from in order to create a varied and unique moveset, so whether or not he can be made a viable fighter isn't an issue either. When you add it all up, it equates to a point where I'd honestly be surprised if he didn't make a playable appearance.

For re-nominations, are we allowed to nominate characters we've already nominated in a previous post, or do we have to nominate different characters?

EDIT: I will nominate:

- Rosalina x2
- Ridley
- Ghirahim
- Mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom