• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
Outside of community melee player here - donated $10 'cos I figure watching it would be fun.
(Theres no conspiracy you guys should read SRK threads on this, most of them want Melee over ponyfuntime, and certainly those who still dislike Melee are a small minority)

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Guys, seriously. We beat them in the polls, we can beat them in the fund. Do I seriously have to write up a Churchill parody speech? And Mahie...^dat guy is proof :p

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
@Jackpot: err on the side of caution. You should think not EVERYONE or truly 100% of any group of people are all the same and have the same sentiments. To be honest, the game they are developing is a more daunting project than P:M (imo) and more true to a traditional fighter than smash ever was. Other than the choice of topic and theme for the game, I think its a pretty cool endeavor to completely come up with an entirely new fighter from nothing. Even more so when you think it doesn't have the more experience people you might find at a larger company producing games.

I only hope that community for smash will not be so split as to divert attention between both games.
I've looked at MLP:FiM a while ago and tried out the leak when it came out, the game's kinda interesting but the general fanbase is absolutely intolerable.

There doesn't seem to be much interest from anybody for getting Brawl to Evo. From what I saw on my Facebook feed Melee players were the only reason why Brawl even qualified for the poll/donation.

Outside of community melee player here - donated $10 'cos I figure watching it would be fun.
(Theres no conspiracy you guys should read SRK threads on this, most of them want Melee over ponyfuntime, and certainly those who still dislike Melee are a small minority)
The conspiracy guys people outside of SWF are freaking out about are a vocal minority in a large community. Judge the smash community based off of them is like judging the Capcom FG community from the SRK front page. Most of us are trying are best to get our favorite game up there.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
lol go to SRK like Jayk said and they are reading these and they all had their money on melee, some bitter thinking we are the stereotype who don't even play competitively...the pony argument which is why I have no hate if they win assuming they show up and play well. However, they're laughing at us now so whatever, take that as you may.

*Still banking on donations blowing up after apex.

Edit: The more I read SRK the more I'm sad that they're sad that people here have suggested terrible ideas.

Jayk

Smash Apprentice
The conspiracy guys people outside of SWF are freaking out about are a vocal minority in a large community. Judge the smash community based off of them is like judging the Capcom FG community from the SRK front page. Most of us are trying are best to get our favorite game up there.
I'm not trying to say most smash players feel that way or anything, just saying that there isn't and none should and it shouldn't stop anyone donating.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
this is the parallel thread on SRK

it's really strange browsing that thread as a smasher, i agree with the one guy who said FGC and melee players should clear up misconceptions that the communities collectively believe

also it seems like most people think MLP is going stomp everyone

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
It also seems that the games we thought would be a big deal (CVS) are hopeless in some of their opinions...and they may want to stomp out ponies...but 4chan thread for ponies says they want to do it to troll FGC and that's worse than bronies putting up money. ehh...just donate.

Edit: and now reading about some guy liking my idea of having donation fund at apex. Now we need Strife on board, as busy as he is with it being...tomorrow.

clowsui

Smash Legend
From inkblot, one of the EVO tournament organizers (source HERE)

Some quick hits to address points in the thread.

We chose the donation poll for two reasons: It's unscammable in a way that a facebook poll is not, and Evo strongly believes in giving and paying-it-forward.

Results are hidden (for now) because we want to get a measure of how much each community really supports their game. This is an opportunity for the communities to put their money where their mouth is. If you can't be bothered to give $5 to CHARITY in the name of your game, how much do you really support it?

We're unquestionably losing money by doing this. The additional cost in manpower, space, equipment, etc. far exceeds any benefit we will reap in terms of additional sponsors, new attendees, etc. The difference between a 7 and 8 game lineup just isn't significant from an attendance or sponsorship perspective. We're doing this as a thank you to the game scenes who have supported Evo through the years and because we think it's a cool idea. So...

I understand if you're not excited by this because your favorite game probably won't win, but please don't play the victim and pretend we're somehow ripping you off. :)

This whole shenanigan is a bonus gift. Just because you didn't win doesn't mean you lost.

So I encourage everyone to toss in their $5 (or more) to support their favorite game and feel good about supporting a worthy cause.
Put this in the OP.

EVERYONE NOW DONATE

also sup G.O.O.D. Rest. Ohio in da house

I have a dumb idea; what if some of us just post a simple praising Melee post in the SRK thread to calm a bandwagon of bashing the game? Idk maybe there's some psychology behind this?

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I posted too, lol.
I'm "thespymachine" Messaged to get my name changed to that on SWF, still waiting.

As long as we aren't going in there sounding dumb and overhyping Melee, we'll be okay.

Just donate people!

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Can someone help me with donating? I'm gonna spend up the rest of a prepaid card I have. Does the checkbox "cover the processing fee" mean I won't go over when it adds the service charge?

clowsui

Smash Legend
Service charge is 50 cents. It takes it directly from the prepaid amount. Contribute the amount on your card - 50 cents so that way you don't go over

clowsui

Smash Legend
Uhh it's not actually entirely clear upon proceeding with two different donations. I think just for the sake of safety you should check it...

EDIT: I've contributed a total of 10.00 to the cause so far. Hoping to donate $50 total in donations before the month is over =)

MasterShake

Smash Lord
LOL damnit.

Wonder if I should go balls deep and donate the full amount.

This 50 cents matters by golly.

Edit: Yeah I don't think it mattered haha. Hopefully people return some money to me so I can donate some more. My goal is 30 bucks.

double edit: v I did the second one and used up my card so it worked out. I'll keep it mind for next time, thanks mang.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I have a dumb idea; what if some of us just post a simple praising Melee post in the SRK thread to calm a bandwagon of bashing the game? Idk maybe there's some psychology behind this?
Lol "Psychology", you mean showing interest in your game? They're reading this like we're reading their thread.

I'm been dropping visits to a bunch of MLP/Smash/General FG communities to get a bigger picture of this Evo fundraiser and offering some Melee perspective. There seems to be a lot of misconceptions and people poking around other forums from their little bubbles, communities would benefit a lot from more people dropping by and giving/hearing outsider opinions (looking at you lurker).

Ironically, the more serious MLPFiM community and dev team is much less approving of their game getting to Evo than the general MLP fans are. It doesn't look like a big deal on 4chan anymore because I can't even find the thread (saw some ****ed up **** though, figuratively and literally :urg:) but somebody seriously needs to get the message across to the "CHARGE!" mentality MLP donaters.

KanyeRest

bair-condtioned nightmare
Ironically, the more serious MLPFiM community and dev team is much less approving of their game getting to Evo than the general MLP fans are. It doesn't look like a big deal on 4chan anymore because I can't even find the thread (saw some ****ed up **** though, figuratively and literally :urg:) but somebody seriously needs to get the message across to the "CHARGE!" mentality MLP donaters.
speaking as a person inside the fanbase, i think whilst they have the larger numbers and money, they're not wholly focused on this, compared to communities that revolve around a game, like us. that's why i think that if we can produce a good amount of donations, we'll have a pretty decent chance of winning, compared to FiM, which might see donations steadily decrease as the hype wears off.

either that or we're ****ed :phone:

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
@charge mentality- tomorrow dude, prog will say it on stream, players will hear about it through word of mouth...have you noticed the boards are dead recently? People been getting in since tuesday, this is hardly a representation of our community..and I think people need to cool it on SRK. They're here anyways.

As for ponies, some don't know the game exists, some want to openly troll the FGc and the FGC might just invest in us to keep them out...but they won't right now because we seem like we're not donating (until after Apex hopefully)

clowsui

Smash Legend
Don't worry, this thread is going to blow up after APEX with donations.

Until then, let's improve the spirit and positivity of this thread! That way we can build some camaraderie and momentum.

Let's start with a more interesting question:

Despite our version of Melee arguably being a "stripped down" version to many other people, why do you think it deserves interest anyways? That is, what about our version of the game would you argue appeals to others?

Or maybe we should talk about our general experiences with the community and what we can bring to EVO by having our community represented there.

GO GO GO GO!! I wanna see everyone say something meaningful, whether their post is short or long, about how Melee is a positive force.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Yes hopefully during and after apex we get some serious money rolling.

Man, imagine if all the winners donated 10% of their winnings to this. I really hope something gets organized during the tournament when a bunch of smashers will all be in one place without having to get online to donate.

Stargazer

Smash Rookie
I just hope the matches turn up enjoyable regardless on whoever wins as well as good funding for cancer over all. It's like with sports. I don't route for any teams, I route for the gaming not being one sided and boring lol.

Honestly, I just wish there was a "donate" button without support as I'm kind of torn between a few of the games. It's not that I don't want to support any one game, I just really don't want to choose sides when I really would love to see them both attend the big screen. Even if I cannot put the biggest contributions in. =X

Of the pony concern, If they do manage to get in I hope they can at least get the mane six playable for the event and give a future build that allows them to be played. ( The first official release is suppose to have them, but they are planning other characters alla downloadable content later on )

Best of luck to all and for the games they support regardless.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
I just hope the matches turn up enjoyable regardless on whoever wins as well as good funding for cancer over all. It's like with sports. I don't route for any teams, I route for the gaming not being one sided and boring lol.

Honestly, I just wish there was a "donate" button without support as I'm kind of torn between a few of the games. It's not that I don't want to support any one game, I just really don't want to choose sides when I really would love to see them both attend the big screen. Even if I cannot put the biggest contributions in. =X

Of the pony concern, If they do manage to get in I hope they can at least get the mane six playable for the event and give a future build that allows them to be played. ( The first official release is suppose to have them, but they are planning other characters alla downloadable content later on )

Best of luck to all and for the games they support regardless.
This^^ All I want to see is a legit and fair competition to gain the place and we should participate in this because I really want to see Melee at Evo. I don't care if MLP wins if they win legitly, I don't care if SSFIIST wins legitly, I just want a fair competition, we should just go on and donate so we can show that our community are actually serious and btw even though I don't know many smashers in real life, many people I know in real life who plays UMvC3, MvC2, SF, etc. all respect Melee to a great extent so no one here should talk trash about any other community unless if they win unfairly. Also it's just internet trolls that are what the people here calling "FGC members."

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yo, I don't visit them but have reddit and GameFAQs been hit up yet? Because I'm pretty sure that those communities also contributed to the prior vote solidly. Just tryin to make sure people are in the know...

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Yo, I don't visit them but have reddit and GameFAQs been hit up yet? Because I'm pretty sure that those communities also contributed to the prior vote solidly. Just tryin to make sure people are in the know...
That's a good idea, but I'm too lazy to do that lol

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
someone make a tumblr post, i know quite a few folks on tumblr who donate to ****in everything and theyll prolly donate to this too

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
This whole donation thing sounds like a conspiracy...

TO FINALLY GET MELEE BACK INTO EVO!!!
LET'S GO PEOPLE!
:awesome:

Yeah, the Gamefaqs community's a bit small much but the Reddit Evo thread's pretty active.

Remember to post the link to your local Facebook groups, there's a good amount of players there that aren't active on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom