• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Melee @ Evo2k13 Donation Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Calm down dude. There is no account. There is no "plan" to try and game the system. It was an idea made when everyone was freaking out about legitimacy and stuff. I'd like to think we've calmed down a little and realized how ridiculous this is, though it didn't seem so at the time.

Our best course of action is to rally people to donate for melee. I'm very confident we will win anyway barring a rare company intervention.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
The point in being honest is to have a clean conscious for the most part. If I pretended to donate for breast cancer I would probably have to cry myself to sleep living with the guilt. It is not a very pleasant feeling, when you feel you aren't being fully honest. It makes me all queasy inside whenever I have to lie like that, and I'm sure my stuffed turtle doesn't like being squeezed so much.

It's why I also asked if people were donating before this fund. Trying to make people feel bad for "not donating to cancer" is just. Eugh, it makes me want to gag. Pretending to care is, the way I see it, substantially more disgusting than simply not caring.

Like if you really, really care about things, you shouldn't need an incentive to donate, and you shouldn't need to talk down to other people for not donating. It's about the lowest level of bologna and mask-wearing humans are capable of.
My god. I can't tell if you're being serious. Nobody is doing that, they're just upset at people deterring others from donating bc of stupid made up political and conspiracy stuff, and it's sickening that people would want to get their money back if they didn't get in.

:phone:

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
On a side note, good job you *******s ruined the thread again.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
My god. I can't tell if you're being serious. Nobody is doing that, they're just upset at people deterring others from donating bc of stupid made up political and conspiracy stuff, and it's sickening that people would want to get their money back if they didn't get in.

If nobody is talking down to others for not donating, then no one is withholding donations if they can't get them back.

And I am very serious; is there something wrong with you that you are so distrusting of my word?

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
it's sickening that people would want to get their money back if they didn't get in.
You're imagining things. Show me someone who isn't you or darji who said they'd do this.

There is still a legitimate issue regarding transparency. If you think it's "ridiculous" or a "conspiracy theory," then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. The "pooled donation" helps address that.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Is there anything wrong with wanting money collected by the melee scene to help melee scene grow instead if donating it to cancer? The smash scene is NOT a bunch of cancer lovers as far as I know. Hmmm, on the fence about this one.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
The guy who posts in red. And the post before you. And I don't even know what klink links point is really.

Gliffie

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1906-3068
Do not worry I mailed and informed the EVO team and the people and told them to look out for this thread and this community. Lets see what they will have to say against that.
If you wish to judge the whole community based on one thread, then there are a lot worse threads you could have picked.

Let's stop the dumb **** that ruined the last thread. Either donate or don't. Don't make such a big deal out of it.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Either donate or don't. Don't make such a big deal out of it.
So much agreeance. Worst case scenario, you lose 5 bucks, and if there was sketchy stuff going on (lolconspiracyrightguise) people would be on our side. Come on this is a good chance for top level melee to be seen by hundreds of thousands of people. At once. Genesis grand finals videos don't even have that many views after 3 1/2 years. Melee could really use the opportunity.

clowsui

Smash Legend
The reason why you want to donate should not matter much however only to actually pay for it if you win is the thing that pisses me off.
If you actually paid attention much of the people who desire to/have already donated are not demanding anything of this sort.

Also, I'm just going to report anything that comes even CLOSE to derailing this thread from here on because holy ****. Like, if anybody starts talking about morality relative to the decision to donate or not donate, I will advocate for any and all I know to report the post. While it's tempting to make a statement about scumbaggery (I'm not going to lie, I think that donating and expecting your money back if we don't win and pooling your money for that very reason is...yeah, we'll just leave it at scummy), this is NOT the place to discuss that. Those matters should be discussed through PM or in another forum of your choosing.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Locked the other Evo threads so everyone could organize their ideas in a single thread

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to make the the discussion stays civil and on track
In that case can you remove the first two quotes from the OP so this community doesn't look like a bunch of drains on society with the mentality of 10 year olds? People can donate or not donate. Using a third party to hold it in case you don't win is just all manners of childish and incredibly sketchy.

Donation drive at Apex is an awesome idea @whoever suggested it.

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
If you actually paid attention much of the people who desire to/have already donated are not demanding anything of this sort.

Also, I'm just going to report anything that comes even CLOSE to derailing this thread from here on because holy ****. Like, if anybody starts talking about morality relative to the decision to donate or not donate, I will advocate for any and all I know to report the post. While it's tempting to make a statement about scumbaggery (I'm not going to lie, I think that donating and expecting your money back if we don't win and pooling your money for that very reason is...yeah, we'll just leave it at scummy), this is NOT the place to discuss that. Those matters should be discussed through PM or in another forum of your choosing.
damn, stop acting like the ****ing police holy **** man.

This thread has gone full ******.
On a side note, good job you *******s ruined the thread again.

^^^^these. called it right when i saw my thread get locked.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Even if we donate the total sum grossed in a Paypal account regardless of the outcome, we will at least have an idea of the total sum we accrued and donated for melee :) which is something I'd like to know. An idea of how much community support we raised.

"they're just upset at people deterring others from donating bc of stupid made up political and conspiracy stuff" Because trusted people in the melee community haven't stolen prize money before, what is to make you think that someone YOU DON'T KNOW is above it when the majority of people involved in the aforementioned scandal never would have suspected it and had complete trust in him. Just to throw that out there.

I support donating, I will be donating, but I'd rather put it into a paypal account so we know how much we've actually contributed... either that or we could have a running count for donations as long as people aren't lying about it to look good....

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
There is no way we can lose if everybody just did their part.

And you guys Don't realize probably about 75% of the donations won't be coming from users on smashboards.

Acryte

Smash Ace
I believe we can do this, but we gotta get organized and stop talking it down

EastCoastEddie

Smash Journeyman
I donated, c'mon guys let's do our part! Don't let the vocal minority be what EVO/The FGC or whatever sees in us. Clearly we want this to happen that's why we dominated that Facebook poll, so let's get to it.

Also, a donation bin at Apex is a fantastic idea.

<3 Smash

Gliffie

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1906-3068
If you guys really want a tally, it would be much easier to just have the people who donated post a screencap of their receipt thing.

R2_GP

Smash Journeyman
This is it gentlemen, we're at the door of glory!! donate please!, this time we do need to prove that we still here and stronger than ever!

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Do not worry I mailed and informed the EVO team and the people and told them to look out for this thread and this community. Lets see what they will have to say against that.
Wow so you joined the smash community just so that you could try and get us out of the running to be at evo and try to pin a few people that do not represent the smash community as a whole as the reason evo should "look out for us". Yea there's nothing fishy about you, its all of us that are disgusting. Whatever dude.

keep the total amount in that paypal account just for us!, think, that way we'll know if they lie to us at the end
Can you just stop it already? Even if you are being facetious its very evident that there are some people in this thread that are going to take you seriously and on top of that it serves to do nothing more but derail this thread and give the mods more reason to close it.

I support donating, I will be donating, but I'd rather put it into a paypal account so we know how much we've actually contributed... either that or we could have a running count for donations as long as people aren't lying about it to look good....
No we should definitely not do this. Especially with all the talk there's already been about a secret ransom paypal account we should avoiding doing this because it looks pretty suspicious. Maybe ask for somewhere in the OP for the author of the thread to put a section to list the total counted donations in the thread and people in the thread can say how much they donated but that's probably going to be the best it gets (and probably really inaccurate).

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
I donated, c'mon guys let's do our part! Don't let the vocal minority be what EVO/The FGC or whatever sees in us. Clearly we want this to happen that's why we dominated that Facebook poll, so let's get to it.

Also, a donation bin at Apex is a fantastic idea.

<3 Smash
At APEX, I doubt it'll happen because of the FGC representation, we'd probably have to take donations for every game out of fairness.

Why are we trying to count our efforts at this? I think you're all setting up expectations to get disappointed by results

You love Melee, right? If you could put that into a financial number, what would it be? can you spread this idea to other people who love Melee too?

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
It would be inaccurate, I would rather keep our amount a secret from our competition and shady business? Really? Mr wizard wouldn't put himself at risk by lieing about amounts when they're basically pointless. He's not going to lie about the winner either, because pretty much every community in the running feels disliked by the FGC and that they got the 8th place game stolen from them. That's why he's having the player choice in the first place.

Besides seeing our own amount would probably just discourage people from donating if they see a low or high amount which will just hurt us...not to mention if the trusted money holder ****s up or is about as shady as you guys claim wizard will be. Just donate what you can if you want or stop posting at this point cause everything has been said, even what I'm saying right now has been said.

I already donated and so did others so there's proof your Paypal number will be inaccurate/pointless. If you decide we only made 700$ with the PayPal and it wasn't enough and took your money back and It ends up we would have won, you'd all look like *****es for taking back your 5$ from breast cancer lol

Super special edit, prominent FGC members have said melee should've gotten in from the beginning, they might donate as well. So don't let FGC randoms show more love than melee community itself.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Super special edit, prominent FGC members have said melee should've gotten in from the beginning, they might donate as well. So don't let FGC randoms show more love than melee community itself.
Got any names, or a thread ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom