• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Pritch

Smash Lord
If you uthrow a character (like Fox) and they land on a platform, what do you do with the tech chase? I've only been following up with nairs as soon as possible.
Doublejump land on the platform and regrab.:) It's faster than wavelanding on the platform and fast enough that you can chase their tech pretty reliably, especially since NO ONE ever expects it.

It is worth noting that it may be possible for spacies to shine the grab. I've had it happen to me a few times, though that may just have been me messing up. Even if they can shine out of it though, you can just start mixing in more normal stuff to keep them on their toes. And you really won't see it happen that often, since as I said, no one ever sees this coming.

Continuing chaingrabs onto platforms is ftw.:laugh: Though tbh I do this to basically any character now, since at the very least it's a second grab for free for some bonus damage.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
^^ It doesn't work at all if they standing tech, you can't get up fast enough to hit them. Several of the guys I play with have caught onto that. In which case I just fullhop uair their standing tech and grab them (FFers) anyways to continue the CG.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Hmmm. Now that you mention it, those are probably the times that I've been shined out of it.

Still though, the vast majority of players aren't expecting it, since I think you and I are the only peach players that go for this on any kind of consistent basis (I've certainly never seen anyone else do it, or even mention it for that matter). So even if it is escapable, most people won't know how, certainly not when encountering it for the first time in a match.

And as you said, even if you do train them into always doing a standing tech there, that's certainly punishable too.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
I have a question. How awesome is it that turnips hit space animals out of their side b when recovering? I mean honestly it warms my heart just thinking about it.

EDIT: Serious question. What do I do if I'm on the ledge against a Marth, and he's spacing well and just waiting for me to get up? Seems like all my options are screwed: jump, get up, get up attack, roll, ect... and it's not like Peach can ledgehop aerials...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Try ledgehopping an airdodge? Mixing in one of those every once in a while might help keep the Marth off of you.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
ok this might be a silly question, but how should you react to spot dodges? say from a samus who would usually follow up with a fsmash.

Cort

Apple Head
I have a question. How awesome is it that turnips hit space animals out of their side b when recovering? I mean honestly it warms my heart just thinking about it.

EDIT: Serious question. What do I do if I'm on the ledge against a Marth, and he's spacing well and just waiting for me to get up? Seems like all my options are screwed: jump, get up, get up attack, roll, ect... and it's not like Peach can ledgehop aerials...
If you consider M2K's Marth, he has a way of hitting Peach like 80% of the time if she's on the ledge.

It's pretty hard, but if you're < 100% you can try just getting up normally and buffering a roll (hold towards the stage with the c stick + L or R) so that you roll as soon as you get up.

Peach's get up attacks are good, both <100 and >100%... but I save the >100 for really really random last ditch efforts.

ok this might be a silly question, but how should you react to spot dodges? say from a samus who would usually follow up with a fsmash.
You should always just wait for spot dodges once you know your opponent is habitually doing them. Run up to them, shield, wait. If they spot dodge time a grab or punish however you like.

Or.. you could just dsmash >_> *shrug*

chef-hado

Smash Cadet
lol
for the getting up from the ledge, does an up b off the ledge work?
don't exactly have it in my game but i read somewhere it's helpful and surprising

Cort

Apple Head
You know... I've read some of the things on this thread and I realized it helps point out Peaches weaknesses more than her strengths. :p
One of the first steps to getting good is realizing your characters weaknesses and then working from there. Also, Peach is garbagey garbage and stuff.
lol
for the getting up from the ledge, does an up b off the ledge work?
don't exactly have it in my game but i read somewhere it's helpful and surprising
If you want to ledge stall, maybe. It's not completely unpunishable, so I'd watch out. It doesn't really serve any other purpose other than asking the opponent to back off the ledge.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I'm trying to put WD out of the shield into my game. But I find it hard to do in a match. Like the right time to do it. I can do it fine. But in a fight its another story. Then when I try I ether mess up or dont go anywhere. I'm assume the sheild stun has something to do with it. But then I cant get the timing of it. Then once in a blue when I do it, thier lag is over and I move right into an attack.

What am I doing wrong and how can I get use to WD out of the shield?

Cort

Apple Head
It's all about knowing the timing. Practice makes perfect, yadda yadda.

But seriously, it's about the timing. It's just knowing the soonest possible moment you can start moving out of your shield.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I see. This is gonna be a pain then. but alright. I guess i can see ow Mike G does it. He does it in a few of his Fights that I remember of. Dont know any other Peach players that do that. I know there was one more who would WD out of the sheild. I think it was Mikey if I am not mistaken.

darkatma

Smash Hero
wavedashing out of shield isnt any harder for peach than for any other char..
just that her wavedash is shorter.

I have a question for your marth :p
Do you consciously ledgecamp and wait for spacies to approach you as Marth? because most of your game seems centered on the ledges of the stage:p
I need to learn your gimping ability >_>

Pink Shinobi

Smash Ace
Dear Cort,

What stage would you ban againts a "campy fox"? Rainbow Cruise, Corneria, or neither? I'm sure its already been covered by you, but...there are lots of pages.

Sincerely,
Peach n00b

Cort

Apple Head
To be honest, there are too many good stages for campy Foxes to dominate on. Fox is ridiculously adaptive to virtually any stage just cause he's... Fox.

If you know more about your opponent and where they like to counterpick to, I'd suggest banning that.

wavedashing out of shield isnt any harder for peach than for any other char..
just that her wavedash is shorter.

I have a question for your marth :p
Do you consciously ledgecamp and wait for spacies to approach you as Marth? because most of your game seems centered on the ledges of the stage:p
I need to learn your gimping ability >_>
Yes. In between kills I go to the ledge because ledge dropping/sweet spotting double jump over and over leaves you nearly invulnerable to almost everything the invincible spacie to approach with. However, if you're opponent has good timing they can shine spike you or dsmash you to your death. In which case, I stop ledge dropping as soon as they get near me.

Against more inexperienced spacies I do it with no remorse. They approach, mess up punishing me, eat a ledge hopped nair/fair into regrab, get dthrown and systematically edge guarded. If you know your opponent isn't prone to trying to sweet spot the ledge with their double jump after being dthrown off, turn around dtilt and they die from a wd back/fastfall to ledge/fastfal off ledge bair with invincibility or just space a bair after waiting for them to start their up b.

If they try to sweet spot with their double jump, I fsmash because it reaches below the ledge. However if I mistime it prepare to smash DI/regular DI a ledge hopped punishment. If it hits just edge guard them accordingly.

Most of my Marth game vs spacies revolves around dash dance camping near the ledge, ESPECIALLY vs non campy spacies, it's almost too easy. However if the spacie is VERY prone to NOT messing up l cancels, you have to be much much more cautious and try different approaches to getting those grabs (such as knowing the timing of a shield grab after getting nair/shined)

VS campy spacies, it's more of a close combat dash dance camp. You have to be close enough for them to be scared of lasering while at the same time be entirely out of range of nearly ever approach they could try. When you see them finally approach, simply dash away, turn around grab. There are a number of ways of getting that first grab as well... such as CC grabbing. Doing Marth's dancing blade while holding down (I hold down and towards them) + L or R + mashing A = free CC grab against inexperienced players. CC grabbing is ridiculously broken >_>

The majority of my CGs/combos with Marth end or lead to the ledge, or atleast that is my goal. Typically if I mess up a CG to the point where I can't fsmash them at the end, always nair because it will always send them far away and hopefully off the stage. React to their recovery, and again systematically edge guard.

Barely any spacies also know how to DI Marth's utilt when Marth is facing into the stage with his back near the ledge, and that almost always leads to a very easy dair. If you know your opponent doesn't know how to DI it, I go for it every opportunity I get.

Learning to gimp is a matter of experience. I've played vs PC so many times the matchup is really drilled into my head (even though he beats me like 80% of the time LOL) It's also a matter of getting your ass off the stage instead of just standing their and mindlessly timing fsmashes (it's sometimes good but nearly half the time you can easily guarantee a kill by playing effectively off the stage instead of hoping your opponent doesn't M2K angle or some sheezy)

Uhh... I could prob talk about Marth gimps all day LOL.

Any more questions?

edit// Oh yeah, great Marth trick vs Fox I stole from M2K. If at any point you grab Fox and you can dthrow him so he lands right near the ledge, do it like 95% of the time. As soon as you dthrow turn around and duck, slightly delay a dtilt then IMMEDIATELY turn back around.

If they tech in place, they eat a dtilt, if they tech away, they eat a dtilt, if they don't tech, they eat a dtilt. If they tech into the stage (usually do) you CAN grab them before they can do anything if you do it correctly. It's a frame perfect strategy and it's really not that hard if you practice it enough.

Simply ask your friend to always tech into the stage after being dthrown, then hold L or R + c stick down to buffer a ground dodge. If they dodge your regrab (after you missed your dtilt), you're not turning around after the dtilt fast enough. The IASA frames of dtilt are ridiculous...

This does not work as well vs Falco because his tech is much longer than Fox's. Fox's tech roll distance is perfect for this strategy because Marth doesn't need to move from his place. You can do it vs Falco once or twice, but you have to move toward him to regrab him.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
edit// Oh yeah, great Marth trick vs Fox I stole from M2K. If at any point you grab Fox and you can dthrow him so he lands right near the ledge, do it like 95% of the time. As soon as you dthrow turn around and duck, slightly delay a dtilt then IMMEDIATELY turn back around.

If they tech in place, they eat a dtilt, if they tech away, they eat a dtilt, if they don't tech, they eat a dtilt. If they tech into the stage (usually do) you CAN grab them before they can do anything if you do it correctly. It's a frame perfect strategy and it's really not that hard if you practice it enough.

Simply ask your friend to always tech into the stage after being dthrown, then hold L or R + c stick down to buffer a ground dodge. If they dodge your regrab (after you missed your dtilt), you're not turning around after the dtilt fast enough. The IASA frames of dtilt are ridiculous...

This does not work as well vs Falco because his tech is much longer than Fox's. Fox's tech roll distance is perfect for this strategy because Marth doesn't need to move from his place. You can do it vs Falco once or twice, but you have to move toward him to regrab him.

that's really messed up.

Cort

Apple Head
Oh yeah, and if they're at like 40-60% dthrow, turn around dtilt, turn around utilt. They almost never DI it correctly.

Then dair :)

Cort

Apple Head
The beauty of Smash games in general are the statement applies to all of them.

Smash can just be played on virtually every 'level' imagineable. I just feel the people playing it casually/mindlessly aren't experiencing the longest lasting 'replay value' effect that competitive smashers get.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
after you kill someone roll spamming is generally effective for some strange reason. I dunno about the likes of m2k but i've been able to avoid invulnerability from people like shizwiz, chops, etc.

people when they die are so busy trying to go after you with their invincibility as a buffer they dont have time to wait. =/

Cort

Apple Head
Yeah, PC does it a lot too. His rolls are fairly random and he rarely rolls into me. He often rolls as soon as he gets up from techs as well, but I've learned to predict it.

Samochan

Smash Master
Cort, what was that trick against people who CC the first hit of the D-smash to go the other way?
Is this specifically for the dsmash edgeguard where you dsmash at their backside so they go flying the other way or something else as well? Against chars that lag a lot from up b like marth and sheik you can float cancel a nair in front of them if they do not go too far into the stage like sheik sometimes does. It has lots of power and if they cc it, it means their certain doom. I also dunno the exact % of dying, but sweetspotted upsmash and uair can also reliable ko strategies.

Top Bottom