• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Ima get a replay, hopefully someone can teach me how to convert, im reserving this post.
I don't think anybody's developed a program for it yet since the replay files are literally just storing the timing for when which player presses what button basically.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Ima get a replay, hopefully someone can teach me how to convert, im reserving this post.
You cannot "convert," replays are simply chunks of data Brawl reads and spits back out a play-by-play.

You'd need Brawl itself as the converter, lol.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Cody (Marth) vs. Illinialex (Marth)

Please don't say my opponent is bad, or it would reveal your own ignorance. He is currently ranked 40th on AllisBrawl's ladder with his backup after beating HolyNightmare (ranked 2 or 3). Marth is his main so I am playing a very good player, and I need tips.

These were four consecutive wifi matches (no true input lag, no visual lag of any sort) with a green or blue connection.

I am the red Marth, he is the alternating Marth.

Thanks to Steel for pointing out this thread.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
What would you like? Just a general overview or would you like me to go through the vid and point out mistakes you made and what the better option would have been? or both?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
What would you like? Just a general overview or would you like me to go through the vid and point out mistakes you made and what the better option would have been? or both?
Both except for my SHing inaccuracy. I got better as the games went along but just mention what I am doing wrong. And how to fix it. Thank you so much.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Gahh Viet he means record it then put it on Youtube... Although I could be wrong...
actually I thought you can upload it at some point, but I understand now. can I send a replay to anyone with free time and they may record it from their tv set?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Send it to JunkintheTrunk he has lots of spare time and no life and he lives for recording other people's matches.
You mean Steel.

Yeah, Steel has like no life and rages at the fact that he has no woman in his life mirite?

Oh wait...

that's me. ;_;

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
k ill ask one of them or if anyone offers. I need critique, im as good as im gonna get alone right now.

and if anyone saw before the edit, sorry, sidekick lag =P

Off to friendlies!

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Match 1.

K first off marth dittos are dumb, especially on wifi. Nevertheless, i'll critique it as if you were playing offline.

:07, it was quite obvious he was going to continue his dancing blade here, but instead you just let go of the shield and ran right into him.

:15, reverse up b out of shield. Instead you just rolled away and failed to punish

:17, don't use dair on stage

:18, you were standing back to back with shields up, you opt to roll in front of him.. You could have just turned around and grabbed him.

:33, just randomly threw out an fsmash, he wasn't vulnerable at all

:36, you pressure his shield and he has taken a defensive position, you fail to capitalize on it and just roll away and he does the same. you can't give up the advantage once you have it, you keep losing it cus you abuse roll dodge

:49, you get a little to anxious to get off the ledge and he predicts it

1:02, you both roll, if you would have just waited you could punish with a dash to dancing blade

1:06, no dolphin slash, shield grab, nothing

1:07, don't spam dtilt, only one is needed to set up the trap

1:09, complete whiff on the fair

1:11, unneeded fsmash

1:12, you perfect shield his dtilt, but then do a full hop bair and completely whiff. dancing blade would have worked fine here

1:14, dancing blade, not fsmash

1:17, you let him back on the stage way too easy here, you stood in the middle of the stage while he just did a regular get up and received no retaliation to keep him off

1:22, bad spacing and you are punished

1:29, don't roll on platforms, a better player would have punished

1:42, more unneeded rolls, you could punish his rolls but you just roll yourself and miss the opportunity

1:52, way too anxious, could have waited and easily punished with DB

1:56, fsmash whiff... roll behind him?

I'm not going to finish this. Your marth is sub par. You roll way too much, you fsmash way too much, and your spacing is nothing to be excited about.

You continually give up stage positioning by not punishing and rolling away. You need to focus on the basics. You use dtilt, but never spaced well and never in very good situations. When you do use it, you usually do more than one, which isn't needed.

Your aerial spacing isn't that good either, you would whiff on way too many fairs and usually just land right in front of your opponent. You should learn to DI backwards to eliminate any retaliation attempt. You have a sword and continually left it behind your body which gets you hit. I also saw like no N-air.

Also work on your ledge traps and juggle traps. This match was on battlefield and Marth is weak below him. Once you get him above the platforms do all that you can to not let him back down. You also let him get back on stage from the ledge way too easily in most cases.

Your opponent also was bad, all is brawl doesn't mean anything and he needs to work on almost the same things as you do.

Is there anything else you want me to cover?

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
steel what the **** is your problem? didn't i tell you you couldn't record our ****?

you just lost your wifi vs me my friend

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
IMO, wi-fi lag is overrated. It isnt playing offline by any means, but I think it's a fair testament to one's skill in most cases. Granted sometimes it's just complete crap

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Match 1.

K first off marth dittos are dumb, especially on wifi. Nevertheless, i'll critique it as if you were playing offline.

:07, it was quite obvious he was going to continue his dancing blade here, but instead you just let go of the shield and ran right into him.

:15, reverse up b out of shield. Instead you just rolled away and failed to punish

:17, don't use dair on stage

:18, you were standing back to back with shields up, you opt to roll in front of him.. You could have just turned around and grabbed him.

:33, just randomly threw out an fsmash, he wasn't vulnerable at all

:36, you pressure his shield and he has taken a defensive position, you fail to capitalize on it and just roll away and he does the same. you can't give up the advantage once you have it, you keep losing it cus you abuse roll dodge

:49, you get a little to anxious to get off the ledge and he predicts it

1:02, you both roll, if you would have just waited you could punish with a dash to dancing blade

1:06, no dolphin slash, shield grab, nothing

1:07, don't spam dtilt, only one is needed to set up the trap

1:09, complete whiff on the fair

1:11, unneeded fsmash

1:12, you perfect shield his dtilt, but then do a full hop bair and completely whiff. dancing blade would have worked fine here

1:14, dancing blade, not fsmash

1:17, you let him back on the stage way too easy here, you stood in the middle of the stage while he just did a regular get up and received no retaliation to keep him off

1:22, bad spacing and you are punished

1:29, don't roll on platforms, a better player would have punished

1:42, more unneeded rolls, you could punish his rolls but you just roll yourself and miss the opportunity

1:52, way too anxious, could have waited and easily punished with DB

1:56, fsmash whiff... roll behind him?

I'm not going to finish this. Your marth is sub par. You roll way too much, you fsmash way too much, and your spacing is nothing to be excited about.

You continually give up stage positioning by not punishing and rolling away. You need to focus on the basics. You use dtilt, but never spaced well and never in very good situations. When you do use it, you usually do more than one, which isn't needed.

Your aerial spacing isn't that good either, you would whiff on way too many fairs and usually just land right in front of your opponent. You should learn to DI backwards to eliminate any retaliation attempt. You have a sword and continually left it behind your body which gets you hit. I also saw like no N-air.

Also work on your ledge traps and juggle traps. This match was on battlefield and Marth is weak below him. Once you get him above the platforms do all that you can to not let him back down. You also let him get back on stage from the ledge way too easily in most cases.

Your opponent also was bad, all is brawl doesn't mean anything and he needs to work on almost the same things as you do.

Is there anything else you want me to cover?
Nah, I think I got most of it. He's not my best by far, even though I join main Jiggs and Marth, my Jiggs is around twice or three times as good as my Marth. However, my opponent isn't a bad player by any stretch. I think he might have toyed with me a bit during the match because I've seen him kill better players than me.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Nah, I think I got most of it. He's not my best by far, even though I join main Jiggs and Marth, my Jiggs is around twice or three times as good as my Marth. However, my opponent isn't a bad player by any stretch. I think he might have toyed with me a bit during the match because I've seen him kill better players than me.
If that was any representation of how good he is... then he isn't good lol. A lot of rolling usually SCREAMS not good, and that's what he did. There were other things, of course.

∫unk

Smash Master

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Junk, I'm joking... I bet you do have more things going on in your life than a 13 year old... And how do we know that is you that ran the triathalon? O.o lulz, if it is you, that is really cool, and I'm proud of you.

∫unk

Smash Master
You're different from regular people in that most don't try to make jokes about personal lives over the internet. But I wouldn't expect more from a 13 year old kid.

Honestly you're a peewee trying to play in MLB. If you want to stop getting owned I would just hush child and go to bed. Tell mom how mean I was too I'll PM number for when she wants to talk to me.

e__

Smash Ace
You swim Junk? I was a swimmer until recently, did sprint Freestyle. I was above average, but I got tired of the time I put into it.

I will eventually post a video to be critiqued in this thread...As soon as I get a recording of something that adequately displays my skill...

We need to write something for SD cards that allows us to bypass that **** 3 minute limit.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You swim Junk? I was a swimmer until recently, did sprint Freestyle. I was above average, but I got tired of the time I put into it.

I will eventually post a video to be critiqued in this thread...As soon as I get a recording of something that adequately displays my skill...

We need to write something for SD cards that allows us to bypass that **** 3 minute limit.
There's an Ocarina code to bypass the 3 limit timer.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
don't you also need usb gecko to input the codes with homebrew though?
No, just a SD card. USB Gecko is only needed if you want to make your own codes or debug/mess around with your Wii's life and system menu nowadays.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
K solid, you ready?

:04, you jump right into his shield breaker. kool.

:07, I wouldn't have jumped after him here. It was pretty obvious he would either counter or air dodge and it was also obvious where he would have landed. I would have stayed on the ground and either DB or grabbed him to reset the situation.

:11, you shouldn't have rolled, you gave up positioning advantage and he would have rolled right into you for either a DB or grab

:17, unneeded fsmash, you would have been punished greater if this wasnt a marth ditto

:20, you let him back on the stage wayyy to easily here. You just walked toward him and did a full hop fair? You need to work on your ledge traps, especially against Marth who has a very tough time getting back up if his opponent stands in the right spot

:44, better opponent would have punished your random fsmash on a platform >_>

:51, you threw him back out which was good, but i really don't understand the SH fair to chase after him. it looks sloppy because there really was no reason for it and you whiffed completely. if you would have just stood on your feet and waited for him to do something you could probably keep him out there.

:55, why do you keep doing these random spot dodges? you missed your chance to keep the pressure on

1:04, suicide when you could have easily taken off his stock >_>

1:10, you come back on stage and you are just throwing out smashes, luckily your opponent isn't very good at punishing and you are able to finally take off the stock

1:23, you roll behind him when a reverse up b would have worked fine. instead you roll and then... DASH TO UP B? extremely unsafe

1:34, you keep missing fairs when he gets off the stage, it's like you have no sense of where you are jumping, you just do it and hope your sword hits him

1:36, turn around grab would have worked fine here

1:39, don't just do up airs when someone is above you, especially on a platform, nair would have been a great option

1:41, he is on the platform and you don't bother to try and keep him up there, you just stand next to the ledge and wait for him to come down

1:44, you roll and miss the chance to punish

1:46, same thing

So obviously, you roll WAY too much. Rolling is bad bad badddd. You continually gave up positioning advantage and opportunities to punish by just rolling. I suggest you just play some matches vs CPU's and try to NEVER roll. If someone rolls it should be away from the opponent, never behind them.

Your spacing for the most part was sloppy. There were times I saw good use of tilts that were being hit with the tip and that's what you want. But what I saw for the most part you just threw your body out there with your sword behind you and hoped for the best.

You fsmash spammed. Obviously, bad. Again, you just threw your sword out there and hoped for the best. Your opponent wasn't very good either which is why you hardly got punished for it.

It looks like you know the basics of Marth, but you have so many bad habits that I recommend you go back and learn to control your character. There really was no flow when I watched you use him, it looked like you were very... uncomfortable.

Anything else you want me to touch on or elaborate on?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I think you hit the nail on the head there Steel, thank you so much it really helps. I need to cut back on Fsmash, and you are so right about rolling, I'll stop doing it as much. I don't really have anyone better than this guy to play irl, but I'm going to a tourney soon and I'll try to get some vids of that when i play. For some reason, I tend to play more spammy when I'm plating people that aren't very good, which irl is like always unfortunately. But thank you Steel, I'll use your tips.

∫unk

Smash Master
QFT, lmao, you aren't mean Junk, you just are funny, i was loling the whole time...
Just cause I said I'm not mean all the time doesn't mean I was serious. I stopped watching your video after 5 seconds and I can give you appropriate comments:
1) space more
2) spam less
3) stop killing yourself that's sad in brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom