• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Do you still want me to look over it Ankoku? If my analysis is void because you were "careless" then it'd be a waste of time >_>

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Bengals: Feel free. My Wii and Brawl # is in my profile/postbit.

Steel2nd: Yes. I still play to win. Just remind me not to do any moronic actions like edgeguarding Meta Knight with dairs in tournament, lolz.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Ankoku stop stealing all the critiques >_>

:10, you took a step forward and threw out a down smash >_>, even without the down smash you probably shouldn't have moved forward, your ledge spacing was fine.. you almost got hit by teh up bzors

:24, you made a mistake here and approached with DB and he had his shield up the whole time. what you should have done is probably delayed each hit and hope for a shield poke at the end

:31, tsk tsk @ dair on stage

:32, you should have up b'd out of shield here to send him back out

:43, Edgeguarding?.. THIS.. IS.. META GHEYYYYYYYY

:59, down version is badddd

1:01, ftilt would have worked better here, you could have hit meta on the first try instead of doing two jabs which resulted in poor knock back and got you punished

1:12, /fail

1:26, complete whiff, you probably could have landed a tipper fsmash here

1:37, how... did you do that? serious question. smash DI?

1:39, k you got lucky with a fair now GTF off the ledge

2:12, you poked three times when only one is sufficient, you then fail to up b out of shield

2:33, k that's three times he got you with the glide attack > dsmash. gotta pick up on these things sir, hold up that shield if you aren't going to up b

2:45, do a dthrow, get him away from center stage

2:47, poor spacing on the double fair gets you punished

2:54, you just dashed right into a fair, you can't approach MK remember? >_>

Ankoku, your Marth has looked exactly the same for at least a month now >_>.. maybe with less mistakes. Every time I critique I tell you to incorporate up b out of shield and I'm still not seeing it. Next vid I see of your Marth i better see you up b'ng all over the ****ing stage. Your opponent is on the other side of the level? I better see an up b.

Sometimes you would just randomly rush in with DB, even if the first-three hits don't even connect, you'd just throw them out there and hope MK runs into it. If MK is zoning you it's good to do a dash to DB every now and then, but you can't approach meta or you'll get *****. DB is just a bad approach period anyway.

Also saw a little too much fsmash, he should have punished you a bit more imo. Obviously, don't edge guard meta. ever.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Nice Marth Ankoku, and this is friendlies so yeah...

I just want to say don't try to gimp Meta (as Steel said) and I think that you should use Counter more and use it when it will be more helpful, you would use it at kinda bad times and then get punished. There was at least one time when you shielded a glide attack and did not up-b out of it and ended up getting hit with a Dsmash (I thin another time Omni hit you with something else but I don't remember what) Nice job though!

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Seriously ankoku how the **** did you do that? SDI>DS will be the new whorenado counter!!!!!!! Now to raise my SDI skills :D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
As far as I can see, I got hit by the Tornado four times for 1% damage each, then 21 frames after the fourth hit my Dolphin Slash interrupted it.

jays0nnn

Smash Apprentice
Ummm I going to post a link of this playlist...I have a terrible marth which i need help on...I'm planning to go to West Coast Majors in Dec. and I like to know what i should do to make myself better since there is alot of videos...just pick any marth match my brawl tag is Jkun and I'm a Black Marth >.<

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=CFFFB4DAA71706C4

and thank you for this wonderful thread

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Can you tell me which of those aren't Wifi? I refuse to watch Wifi Marth on the grounds that Marth is a precision/reaction character, and Wifi kind of throws those qualities out of a player.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
That Meta Knight was terrible D:

But overall good spacing and good use of ftilt.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Ummm The ones that are not label as wifi are not wifi, if the tag is wifi..it's not really wifi it something i added to get more view but most of the match with Arkerus is wifi so dont bother everything else is not wifi

EDIT: this is one of my newest matches so i think this should do...so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDjrCvJ_wBA
Biggest things to work on:
-Don't roll so much
-Don't try and fsmash a gliding MK. Good players will outrange you with glide attack
-AHHH DASH ATTACK FOR PUNISHER T_T. If you don't have time to set up, try hyphen usmash or stutter step tipped fsmash(most ideal if you can land it that is)
-Don't use dancing blade when you're trying to get horizontal distance. It stops momentum and decreases your recovery chance. Also, at 1:40 you didn't use your double jump =[. You could have made it back ><
-Try not to end dancing blade with the bottom ending. It can be smash DI'd out of and punished.
-More dtilt please.

Overall, you have most of the basics down. Good spacing and use of ftilt, etc. Also you're very patient and you generally play smart. Nice marth.
And yes I'm sorry but that mk was loltastic

P.S. wtf happened at 2:41? Why didn't MK get hit? I didn't know nado had invincibility frames? Or did that fair not hit and I'm going crazy?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Ummm The ones that are not label as wifi are not wifi, if the tag is wifi..it's not really wifi it something i added to get more view but most of the match with Arkerus is wifi so dont bother everything else is not wifi

EDIT: this is one of my newest matches so i think this should do...so http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDjrCvJ_wBA
I can't accurately critique this. Your opponent was horrible. Find a better match of you and someone else and I'll go into a deeper analysis. For now I'll just put Feardragon's post into the archive.

Feardragon: I recommend you just take the part out about considering to edge guard meta knight... even without his jumps.. just don't do it >_> It's good like once a match for a surprise, but still very risky.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I can't accurately critique this. Your opponent was horrible. Find a better match of you and someone else and I'll go into a deeper analysis. For now I'll just put Feardragon's post into the archive.

Feardragon: I recommend you just take the part out about considering to edge guard meta knight... even without his jumps.. just don't do it >_> It's good like once a match for a surprise, but still very risky.
Fair enough. It was something I was uncertain of.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
First match then.

:18, you could have grabbed him to throw him behind you and put him in a bad position, but DB works I spose

:22, missed spacing on the dancing blade, Falco should have punished here

:26, bad spacing on the double fair, should have DI'd backwards

1:22, why are you throwing out random nairs here? you can jab his phantasm

1:24, standard version would have given you guaranteed damage

1:28, looks like you just fast falled right on top of him, should have spaced yourself away from him to reset yourself

1:37, blah

2:03, you land the first hit nair, could have gotten a free DS here

2:27, don't go for that gimmicky stuff (regrab), it'll work sometimes but you were in no position to make a mistake. you were on last stock high percent and near the edge. he punishes

2:36, should have reverse up b'd OoS

2:40, why did you give him space to get back up on the stage? you just dashed backwards and he got back on with no effort

There weren't too many things I could pick out in this vid. Not only did the falco not put on the greatest show, it's also a pretty bad stage for him so he can't play as gay as he'd like in this match up. He used like 2 lasers the whole match.

You basically whored dancing blade in this match, but it's a viable option when he is spamming phantasm. But that's why I can't really critique much, you punished him when he needed to be punished.

The two times you lost a stock was pretty much bad luck or stupid mistakes (Like hanging on ledge too long). Though the first time you could have been a little more careful. Pretty solid though, decent spacing for the most part. Sometimes you'd do some random retreating nairs which don't really do much. Falco can punish that, this one didnt.

If you get a better match feel free to post it.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I'd like a both full analysis and a general overview, thanks in advance. If you only have time to analize one, go with the first one.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wr-a__boqOk
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kijsx1st8Es
Here's my analysis on the first:

0:21 - All was great until this, you just randomly threw out a DB, thats a risky move. But he didn't capitalize.

0:30 - You landed on him with a DB, it worked this time. But a fair would have been safer and just as effective.

0:32 - LOL, i liked the footstool xD

0:39 - You jumped right above him, you basically did him a favor by putting yourself in Marth's worst situation.

0:57 - You had the opportunity to finish him off by repeatedly sending him off the stage and watching him land helplessly, but you blew it when you let his Fire Bird hit you.

1:00 - The full hopped backwards nair was pointless, and you were punished for it.

1:05 - You did a midair DB, which worked, but you should probably just go for the ledge next time.

1:15 - Again, going for the ledge instead of attempting to attack with a laggy aerial would have been much safer. And you were killed for your mistake.

1:36 - I don't know why you stayed on the ledge after you lost your invincibility, you were left as a sitting duck and he ended up evening out the match when you were winning by quite a margin.

1:47 - Random ftilt on platform was risky, and pointless

2:04 - You fsmashed when there was really no opening, and you got grabbed because of it

Overview-

Good stuff, I like your Marth a lot. For the most part safe, but you take some risks when you think they can benefit you more than they can hurt.

Pros:

-Good Spacing
-Awesome use of DB
-D-tilt trap
-Some nice mindgames
-No counter :D

Cons:

-Threw out some random, almost twitchy movements that served no purpose
-Barely used DS, which is simply amazing out of shield
-Had some problems landing, which is hard with Marth since he sucks from below.

Still, great job. Nice Marth. Good luck on improving!

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
:06, you short hop, I probably would have just stayed grounded and walked towards him with my shield ready. You put yourself in a pretty vulnerable position with no chance to hit him with anything

:25, probably should have punished the tech with dancing blade instead of trying to regrab

:29, doing too many bairs imo, if he shields one of these you'll get punished

:31, pointless double fair and bad spacing on the ledge.. you eat a get up attack

:50, poorly spaced bair, he should have been able to punish

1:05, well that was unfortunate. not that it'd help much in this situation but when you are sent up don't do a dair, it doesn't help your momentum or DI in any way. just use your quickest aerial when you are sent ANYWHERE to help slow you down. in marth's case, fair.

1:13, you are getting a little over aggressive and just throwing out bairs. it's not a very safe move and is harder to space than fair.

1:32, finger slip? if not don't try this stuff, usually ends in disaster

1:42, failure to punish his dsmash

1:43, don't do aerial forward b as an approach plz, badd.

1:46, missed spacing on the DB and you eat a dsmash. probably would have been better to reset your zoning and do a walk to dtilt here

2:07, not smart and again getting over aggressive. You had link above the platforms and all you had to do was land an up tilt, instead you try and chase up after him even though link isn't that weak when above his opponent, you get hit with his dair

2:19, too much screwing around get's your second stock taken off

2:24, again another bair which gets you hit

2:27, don't approach with nair, not safe at all.

2:31, failure to punish his up smash

2:45, you fthrow him and try to chase him off even though he can easily just grab the ledge. you should have set up your spacing for your ledge traps but instead he gets on with ease

2:50, gotta stop the forward b approach

3:01, he dsmashes your shield.. you retaliate with shield breaker?

3:11, just threw out an fsmash here, luckily you weren't punished since he whiffed with a zair

-------

You are aggressive. This is fine, nothing wrong with that. But the decisions you made most of the time weren't very good. You were often unsafe and left yourself open too much. Against a better opponent/character you'd get ***** for half of your approaches.

I saw very little zoning in your game. You didn't use too many tilts (especially dtilt). It was just constant aggression. If you miss an attack you'd just try and jump at him with another. Marth can be played aggressive but you have to be very smart and safe. You made a lot of spacing errors.

You're just using your sword as a damage racker. Just swinging it out there blindly and hoping it hits him. You have to use it to control your opponent at tipper range so that you can maintain momentum and pressure.

jays0nnn

Smash Apprentice
not true there is a hack where you can save matches so matter the time limit on them :)
OH can i have that hack please?

To Everyone else: thanks for the tips and advice, I'll try to play against better people in the near future. once again thank you! I should record a match with Zhu next time...He plays brawl...but he mains ******** and ******** =( but again thank you

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
"I appreciate the in-depth critiques I've been getting"

I suddenly feel dejected :(

Fine I'll do it the non-summarised way, but only because my critiques must mean nothing to you otherwise :(.

• 0:00 - You're using my White colours !!!!!!! RAGE
  • 0:08 - You had Wolf in a very bad position here, and you went against the grain and used the down variation of DB. After Wolf was hit away instead of continuing to an offstage assault which COULD have resulted in a gimp (a fair or two would have done it) to edgehog you just walked away.... PERFECT OPPORTUNITY LOST.
  • 0:14 - I firmly believe Wolf's arsenal restricts Marth's aerial approaches, here's why. You could have improved the situation by better spacing (DI'n backwards, and perhaps FF to shield). You were punished because of the non-retreating fair.
  • 0:17 - Many Wolfs (including this one) use rolling as a strategy/approach. Marth shouldn't. You should be prepared for the roll to punish. Also try to avoid having your DB move onto the 2nd strike if the first whiffs.
  • 0:20 - Fsmash...?
  • 0:38 - Fsmash again? I realise you're trying to give yourself some space but Fsmash is not the way to do it. Shortly after you fsmashed again, AFTER Wolf had made TWO punishable mistakes at a small dash to dancing blade range...
  • 0:44 - Down Dancing Blade is not cool.
  • 0:56 - Ouch. That's some lack of match up knowledge right there. Edge guarding against Wolf (and in general) is standing near the edge with a shield for Dolphin Slash and or other punishment.
  • 1:31 - No edge hog.......?
  • 2:40ish - Refer to 0:56. If they camp the edge like that [stupidly] dtilts force reaction. (Dtilt to shield, don't spam it). If you were closer while playing safe that one error at 2:55 could have been a simple edgehog kill.
  • 3:20 - YAY :)
  • 3:40 - Retreating fairs are your friend. Downward dancing blade is not.
  • 4:40 - A slow walk up could made you invincible long enough to finish it here.
  • General comments:
    -Yay for better Dolphin Slash usage.
    - Fsmash can be used to punish Wolf's Side B, which -would- have killed him (especially towards the end).
    - At percents above 130% most characters will die to your FAST utilt... even less if you sweet spot it.
    - Wolf shield pressured you a lot, and then you wouldn't grab him while he was within grab range?
    - MOAN for downward dancing blade.

Ice Climbers suck, I hate the hate them hate them.
In depth I don't think is required here...

I felt the ICs you were using were not very good at anything but the desyncing, failing the chain grab constantly... Making it a lot easier for you (Marth) to outspace and ****.

Because of this I felt your opponent was not fantastic. You definitely fsmashed too much. Fsmashes that could have been your END.

3:43 - LULZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ HAHAH WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? HAHAHA
<3.

4:00 - ****** people at the edge practice you must need, says Yoda. What happened to that adventurous RUNNING OFF THE EDGE AND DAIRING A METAKNIGHT STUFF? Or zoning the edge reasonably well... eh?

Better use of Dolphin Slash is a noticed thing, especially against Wolf. It is pretty hard to use it against the ICs.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I will do IC

:30, your fsmash is stale as hell at this point, lucky for you they were hitting though. you try to abuse this and get yourself grabbed

:38, I would have up b'd here, fortunately you were out of grab range

:48, you're letting nana get away too easy, a few times in this match it happened. Separate, then ****.

1:04, you're a moron for tripping here, you got punished and got grabbed.

1:27, ew, dair

1:41, pretty decent zoning here till you threw out a random dsmash and got grabbed

2:08, you know better.

2:18, i don't like the double jumping, just jab/dtilt/PS the ice blocks to approach... specially since you just DI'd into the back of them anyway >_>

2:57, you get hit by their snow thing and you walk backwards. do you want them to throw more ice at you? close the gap

3:01, failure to punish the snow, though he didn't put his shield up after it so its w/e

3:08, another spot where i would have up b'd, though the spot dodge worked fine. it's not completely safe but it's pretty obvious when someone is going to try and punish you for lag

3:17, need to stop the fsmashing, specially at low percents

3:20, you knock Nana away but you don't follow it up and hit her off stage

3:25, poor spacing with the nair gets you grabbed again

3:38, you didn't space the nair as well as you could and knocked nana the wrong way, fair would have been better

3:42, tech skill knocking those blocks out imo

4:18, you should have up b'd while he was charging it

4:20, you had him in a corner but willingly gave up stage positioning by retreating

Your zoning is improving, but I didn't really notice any separation between the two IC. Most of the time you just attacked them as one character, and when Nana was separated you usually failed to get her off stage and gimp her.

You have a very bad habit of fsmashing after some fair zoning. It's something you will have to break. Your opponent often grabbed you for it, unfortunately he wasn't very good with his CG'ng so he couldn't take off a stock each time.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
lol at IC match. Tripping-->50% damage. Classic brawl.

But Steel covered the biggest parts. You used fsmash spam to separate them too much. I find the best way to seperate them is to hit one with a tipped attack, and the other untipped. Just not forward smash....If you keep fsmash fresher by doing that, you'll find it a hell of a lot easier to k.o. nana.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNXi4E-Nps In this match I was very aggresive because when im against campers i dont know what happens but i start rushing. I normally play a vey defensive marth. So should i take my time against campers (walk into powershield) or not let them breath?
It was alright. The lucas player wasn' that great but biggest thing to work on is picking the proper move to punish with. It's not often I say this, but sometimes you would be perfectly spaced for a tippered fsmash and Lucas was at a good 70+% and recovering from a laggy attack like his usmash, but you dancing blade and end up having to build him up to 140% for the kill. Make sure to not let chances like that pass and to punish properly. Also, you were completely lacking dtilt and ftilt(or even jab). Poke with dtilt, swat those pk-fire's with jab or perfect shield them.

And camp campers. And by camp I mean camp in Marth's range. Don't let them force you to play their game. Force them to play yours.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
K thank u i noticed that too i am normally a downtilt happy marth ^.^. But dont know what happened in that match. I normally dont like ftilt dont know why but i tend to either whiff it or misspace it so i dont use it. I will start using it though i gotta practice my ftilt spacing.

jays0nnn

Smash Apprentice
you have to go to
wiiiso.com download the homebrew channel and get it from there
ahh thanks alot dude i wanted to record all matches but i fail to do =(

ummm what do i need to download because it's look really confusing like Wii iso and stuff, sorry to ask

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Poke with dtilt, swat those pk-fire's with jab or perfect shield them.

And camp campers. And by camp I mean camp in Marth's range. Don't let them force you to play their game. Force them to play yours.
I'm pretty sure jabbing Lucas's PK fire won't work >_>

PS'ing will always be better, TLM your PSing was fine. Just stick to that. Also you screwed up your grab releases a couple of times, and you still killed him in the end, but still. Don't want to let the free stuff slip away.

Ok let me try this in depth critique crap.

0:03 - Never make the first move against campers. He could have just as easily ran up and grabbed you there.

0:10 - Nice PS'ing

0:17 - Bad idea going for the dash grab. If you did a fully spaced DB you would have had him, but instead you got punished

0:23 - Good PS and punish

0:24-28 - ..... No offense to the opponent but that was pretty... bad

0:29-36 - Just bad spacing here. You fair outside of your ideal zone and you stop your DB midway, which got you punished.

0:38-46 - Why are you letting the Lucas take the offensive. This is where you do your ftilt, retreating fair or DS out of Shield (which I saw none of :() not roll towards the edge which puts you in an extremely bad position.

0:48 - Lucas failed.

0:56 - 1:04 - You punished your opponent's mistakes (exculding that missed shield grab) well except your punisher of choice can be put to question here. DB is extremely depleted and you aren't even using different variations for more damage. Also at 1:04 you could have punished with u-smash for 21% if you tipper compared to 7% DB.

1:06-1:17 - Ok grab release good job, wait..... Why the hell did you stop? You could have gone for at least two more, and you also can grab attack faster than the rate you were doing it. Oh well good 32% damage.

1:22 - Again you run right into the PK fire

1:27 - Horrible time to use f-smash. Wouldn't kill. Risk > Reward you're lucky you don't get punished.

1:32 - I think this is your first tipper fair.

1:35 - O.O tricky tricky... But why do you go for the dair? He's above you. Again opponent fails to punish.

1:40 - If that is skill then great for you, however I'm going to say its luck because I'm spiteful like that. :p

1:44 - Again jump right into that ****.

2:06 - Again bad decision of risk vs reward. No where near KO % and you are at a high %. Lucas finally punishes and kills you.

2:16 - This grab release would have meant death or at least led to KO% but you screw up and neither is achieved.

2:26 - Again random dair ?????

2:40- This was a nice spotdodge and good choice in punishing.

2:43 - GAAAHHAHHHAHHHAHAHAH dair >;^(

2:52 - Grab release.... you end it early and you choose f-smash here, not the greatest option considering you are on the opposite side of the stage. You could have grab released to 145% and d-smashed for a guaranteed kill, again bad decision.

3:03 - You win YAY but you have a lot to improve upon.

Overall:
Honestly you were above that Lucas player, he failed to punish adequately and force you to actually make mistakes with camping. Then again Marth vs Lucas is just that bad so..... But anyway regarding you. Your spacing needs work. Not many tippers is not a good sign however, you landed them in critical moments which was very good.

You screwed up your grab release a lot. This match would have ended a lot quicker if you did them properly. Also your choice of punishment should be more than just DB. Remember, grabbing means at least 20% on Lucas b/c of grab release. A lot of your DB'ing could have been replaced with grabs, and also you could have used DS out of shield which I saw NONE OF. Unacceptable. Generally keep your options for punishing open and consider doing a different variation of DB or another move when your DB is fully degenerated.

Also you were in the air a lot. This is not bad, however, mixing in the ground game would have definitely helped here. Ftilt would have canceled out his SH approaches, and you never used you dtilt traps.

You just need better judgment which comes with experience, such as risk vs reward, not randomly dairing, and not exposing yourself to disadvantageous positions such as jumping and fairing right into a PK fire. Good Marth, and I see lots of potential.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure jabbing Lucas's PK fire won't work >_>

PS'ing will always be better, TLM your PSing was fine. Just stick to that. Also you screwed up your grab releases a couple of times, and you still killed him in the end, but still. Don't want to let the free stuff slip away.

Ok let me try this in depth critique crap.

0:03 - Never make the first move against campers. He could have just as easily ran up and grabbed you there.

0:10 - Nice PS'ing

0:17 - Bad idea going for the dash grab. If you did a fully spaced DB you would have had him, but instead you got punished

0:23 - Good PS and punish

0:24-28 - ..... No offense to the opponent but that was pretty... bad

0:29-36 - Just bad spacing here. You fair outside of your ideal zone and you stop your DB midway, which got you punished.

0:38-46 - Why are you letting the Lucas take the offensive. This is where you do your ftilt, retreating fair or DS out of Shield (which I saw none of :() not roll towards the edge which puts you in an extremely bad position.

0:48 - Lucas failed.

0:56 - 1:04 - You punished your opponent's mistakes (exculding that missed shield grab) well except your punisher of choice can be put to question here. DB is extremely depleted and you aren't even using different variations for more damage. Also at 1:04 you could have punished with u-smash for 21% if you tipper compared to 7% DB.

1:06-1:17 - Ok grab release good job, wait..... Why the hell did you stop? You could have gone for at least two more, and you also can grab attack faster than the rate you were doing it. Oh well good 32% damage.

1:22 - Again you run right into the PK fire

1:27 - Horrible time to use f-smash. Wouldn't kill. Risk > Reward you're lucky you don't get punished.

1:32 - I think this is your first tipper fair.

1:35 - O.O tricky tricky... But why do you go for the dair? He's above you. Again opponent fails to punish.

1:40 - If that is skill then great for you, however I'm going to say its luck because I'm spiteful like that. :p

1:44 - Again jump right into that ****.

2:06 - Again bad decision of risk vs reward. No where near KO % and you are at a high %. Lucas finally punishes and kills you.

2:16 - This grab release would have meant death or at least led to KO% but you screw up and neither is achieved.

2:26 - Again random dair ?????

2:40- This was a nice spotdodge and good choice in punishing.

2:43 - GAAAHHAHHHAHHHAHAHAH dair >;^(

2:52 - Grab release.... you end it early and you choose f-smash here, not the greatest option considering you are on the opposite side of the stage. You could have grab released to 145% and d-smashed for a guaranteed kill, again bad decision.

3:03 - You win YAY but you have a lot to improve upon.

Overall:
Honestly you were above that Lucas player, he failed to punish adequately and force you to actually make mistakes with camping. Then again Marth vs Lucas is just that bad so..... But anyway regarding you. Your spacing needs work. Not many tippers is not a good sign however, you landed them in critical moments which was very good.

You screwed up your grab release a lot. This match would have ended a lot quicker if you did them properly. Also your choice of punishment should be more than just DB. Remember, grabbing means at least 20% on Lucas b/c of grab release. A lot of your DB'ing could have been replaced with grabs, and also you could have used DS out of shield which I saw NONE OF. Unacceptable. Generally keep your options for punishing open and consider doing a different variation of DB or another move when your DB is fully degenerated.

Also you were in the air a lot. This is not bad, however, mixing in the ground game would have definitely helped here. Ftilt would have canceled out his SH approaches, and you never used you dtilt traps.

You just need better judgment which comes with experience, such as risk vs reward, not randomly dairing, and not exposing yourself to disadvantageous positions such as jumping and fairing right into a PK fire. Good Marth, and I see lots of potential.

Quoted for truth. I like this in-depth critique. Yeah my spacing sucked very badly in that match and I screwed up the grab releases mainly because that was my first time doing them with an actual person. Had never practiced them before. I noticed that i also dont use shieldbreaker. Dolphin slash was also completely absent D:. Lol at the random dairs when he was recovering dont know what went through my mind. Im going to a tourney tomorrow and Ill be sure to record some more marth matches to see how ive improved.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom