• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important! How to deal with Meta Knight (massive update!)

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
~HOW TO DEAL WITH META KNIGHT~

So at the moment we're all having our troubles with Meta Knight and have to learn the match-up. To make things easier I will gather all the knowledge about this match-up in this thread. Some of the stuff is still unconfirmed - I'm still waiting for Jimbo to do the frame rate data for MK but I'm sure it won't take long. He's a relible guy :)

HIS MOVES

In this section I will cover each of MKs moves and how to deal with it. To keep things a little simpler: Fire Breath will beat all of MKs moves if timed right but it will never happen due to the long startup lag. You can use it as a camping tool though. I won't mention the fire Breath anymore in the move section, since it's always the same.

• Neutral A: Not much to say here. You won't face this attack too often, since it's not a very good move. It has good range and priority but ftilt and dtilt will always beat it.

• Ftilt: This is the only move you can't beat "Face to Face". None of Bowsers moves will ever beat it. However, it's still not too hard to deal with. A shielded Ftilt is a guaranteed Fortress and if you learn the timing you can even roll behind him + punish.

• Dtilt: A nasty move, that can be really devastating if you don't know how to deal with it. It apparently has IASA frames from frome 15 onwards (unconfirmed). There is a way to deal with it though. What you have to do: Shield the dtilt and drop your shield. No matter what move MK follows up with, Bowser will always powershield it which gives him a free fortress. If he uses the Tornado things get a bit more troublesome but you should be able to shield the dtilt and beat the Tornado with Ftilt. This is something you have to learn: Always shield the dtilt. If it's max ranged, he can only use a dtilt. Powershield it. If he doesn't have max range you can shield it and follow with the ftilt or the fortress which wins in most cases.

• Utilt: An underused move. I never see it used very often and it doesn't seem to troublesome. He will use it when you're above him - a situation you should avoid and will be covered later. Avoid it if you're in the air. On the ground ftilt easily outranges it.

• Fsmash: Most MKs use it devensively. It has some startup lag but almost no ending lag at all. Treat it as you would treat a dtilt: Shield it, drop your shield and the next attack will almost always be a powershield. Then you can punish him. Don't try to interupt him when he charges it, it works almost never.

• Dsmash: MKs most reliable finisher against Bowser. If you DI well he needs his dsmash to be fresh at all costs and even then you can still survive up to 150%. A shielded dsmash is always a frree Klaw apparently (according to MrEh) so play as defensively as possible, when you see it coming. It's a very unsafe move for MK

• Usmash: Not a move you'll see very often. It's pretty much the same as utilt but more punishable. It seems Bowser can DI out of it before the last hit hits but I'm not 100% sure.

• NAir: It has KO potential but it seems to need a sweetspot hit. It comes out extremely fast and will most likely be used to gimp you. If he uses it otherwise shield -> Sh Fair should do a good job. You can beat it face to face but it's so fast....it is highly unlikely to work.

• Fair: Appears to be DIable but again I'm not 100% sure how well it works with Bowser. Either way you can Shield -> Fortress. It has little endig lag but is still punishable due to it's long animation.

• Bair: Quite similar to fair but a little harder to punish. However it's easier to beat with an angled ftilt than MK's fair.

• Uair: A very disruptive move. It comes out on frame 2 and has little ending lag. However, it'll only hit you when your above him, a situaion you'll learn to void soon enough.

• Dair: A very popular move among MK players, as it allows MK to camp in the air above the opponent while pressuring their shields. Good news: Utilt and Usmash can beat it. Usmash will almost always win but it's harder to pull off than Utilt. You'll have to learn the timin for Utilt though. If he uses Dair in midair it seems that a rising uair can beat it, something MKs don't expect usually (unconfirmed)

• Tornado: One of MKs most feared moves among newbies. Most pro players are well aware that it's a very unsafe move though. Many characters can just DI up+away and punish the Tornado without even shielding it. Unfortunately Bowser is one of those characters who can't DI out (DK and Dedede are the others) so either shield + punish it with fortress if syou have a full shield or beat it with ftilt. This is where the ftilt becomes vital. If your shield is weak you'll have to predict the tornado. Fortunately, ftilt and dtilt are the only moves that Bowser ftilt can't beat and both moves can be powershielded. This is a crucial move to learn. The better you can deal with it the more managable the match-up will be.

• Drill Rush: Can be beaten by Dtilt. If he uses it to recover, you'll get an easy gimp with it ;)

• Dimensional Cape: I've never seen anyone use it. A shielded hit is easy to punish and it's rather predictable.

• Shuttle Loop: Arguably the hardest move to deal with. It has invincibility frames on frame 5. Then the hitbox comes out and it has transcending priority (only Wolfs blaster can beat it apparently), which mean you have to beat it on frame 1 - 4 which is not possible. Shield or Spotdodge it and MK is in a very awkward position. Before he enters the gliding animation his downside is completely exposed to attacks. The best way is to spotdodge / powershield -> Sh Fair before he gets to use his glide attack. The best way to use it is out of Shield. Since Bowser outcamps MK, this senario shouldn't occur too often.

• Glide attack: Don't even try to beat it. It's easy to see coming. Just shield it. It's not spammable and all following moves can be beaten by the fortress.

This list will be constantly updated. The more input I'll get the more complete this list will become.

GENERAL TACTICS

These are standard tactics and how to deal with MKs tactics...

• Camping: There are 3 things Bowser has to do to win: Camp, camp and camp. You can always force MK to approach and as soon as he tries to camp just use the Fire Breath. Your Shield has to take a lot of hits here, since a Fortress or a Klaw out of Shield is almost always a guaranteed hit - and it deals 16%+.

• Shield Pressure/poking: MK will put your shield under constant pressure, as he has to be the active character in this battle. Few characters can deal with Shieldpressure as good as Bowser does. Try to interrupt him with the Fortress whenever you can

• Edgeguarding: A troublesome but important issue to tackle. MK is the best edgeguard in the game but Bowser can deal with it surprisingly well. Good DI is a requirement as it guarantees you to survive up to 150%. Also you should always DI upwards when knocked off the stage. Try to get in a high position, which is where you can return to the stage almost always safely. Since MK has poor mobility in the air, he can't chase you without the Shuttle Loop. This is where he becomes predictable: If your in a high position the Shuttle Loop is his only option. However, the top is the weakest spot of the Shuttle Loop - it has almost no hitstun + Knockback. If he really hits you with the Loop his open for a Bowser Bomb, which often results in a KO. You have other options too: FF Airdode is a nice mixup, if the Loop can hit you off the screen. You can also do a Bowser Bomb to drop down to the ledge.
    If you can't recover from high above you should try to use the UpB s soon as MK gets closer. UpB has insane priority and you can get to the stage before he hits you. You'll have to practise a lot but it will work out in the end. :)
    If he uses the Shuttle Loop to recover use dtilt. KO ;)

CHAINGRAB

What can I say? The CG is a godsend in many match-up's and it can definitely make a difference in this match-up, especially when we're disussing the stage specific stuff. For more information you should read Vex Kasrani's CG guide. I won't explain it any colser since the guide has it already. I will merely list all the moces that give you a free grab after Shielding / Powershielding it...

...[coming soon]

STAGE SPECIFIC (incomplete)

Stages matter a lot but there are indeed counterpick stages against MK. It should be noted that different regions have different stage rules. Get familiar with them as a potential Counterpick Stage could be banned in your region...

• Final Destination: A great stage to fight MK. You'll have plenty of CG opportunities since there are no platforms to stop you from CGing him. The ceiling is quite high. You can live to 150% almost all the time.

• Battle Field: Not a very good stage although not as bad as many people say. You have little CG opportunities. However, you get plenty of opportunities to use utilt if MK stays on the platforms. Both characters prefer to fight not on the platforms so it's pretty much the same as Final Destination. The absence of CGs is a bit annoying but Bowser has a lot on MK even without the CG.

• Smashville: Better than Battlefield. It's a bit longer and the moving platform doesn't always interfere.

• Yoshi's Island: The worst neutral stage. The platforms completely disallowes CGs. If he can force you on the platform you're in trouble!

• Halberd: Very good stage, despite the limitations on the Chain Grab. It hs a low ceiling wich gives you easy KOs via utilt or uair. On the other hand most of MKs finsihing moves send Bowser to the side, where Halberd is fairly large. If you can make use of the properties you have the advantage.

• Lylat Cruise: Not as bad as I thought. The only thing that really hurts are the movements of the space ship, that can screw Bowsers recovery. This will only happen if Bowser recovery low, something you can avoid via good DI. The stage gives you good camping possibilities, since the platforms can limit MKs approaches. Despite this MK has the advantage here but not more than 40:60.

• Frigate Orpheon: You can camp quite well - either under the static platform or on the moving one. Recovery shouldn't be an issue here but it can be hard on the right side, since you 'll never grab the ledge.

More to come soon.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
You don't have anything on punishing aerials. I suggest you figure out a way, because otherwise you're going to get combo'd to death.

Flayl

Smash Hero
You can't punish MK's aerials... OK maybe you can grab/fortress if he spaces poorly, but you pretty much have to rely on that.

MK's multiple DAirs at the level of bowser's head is unstoppable (the ones where he DAirs->jumps->DAirs->jumps sometimes even a nado at the end), unless our UTilt has an amazing priority I'm not aware of.

I think a FTilt will beat a head on FAir, but I'm not sure.

As for grab options, Bowser should go for a jump release chaingrab with a Dash Attack/FAir finisher.

Like in all other of my attempts to help, I can't do much because I have nobody near me that plays Brawl. Play Bowser against a MK who knows how to space his DAirs and come back to me.

Flayl

Smash Hero
It'd also be good to know how reliable is jab grabbing a MK until he breaks into the ground. Because Killing with a DTilt is much faster than killing with a FAir.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Ground Breaks require good timing. But maybe it is more useful...who knows.
For aerial approaches you should try the reverse utilt or usmash.

I'm testing stages atm. I think Bowser can outcamp MK under the platforms of Brinstar...

Flayl

Smash Hero
Dude no. First we have to find out if UTilt can beat DAir at least semi-relaibly. Then you can worry about CP'ing stages.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Have you tested his Utilt against his Dair? it might work....
I would laugh if it turns out that all we need to beat the Dair is the Bowser Bomb. :)

Jokes aside though, I'll test this as soon as possible.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Oh yeah, I forgot about the bomb.

I'm going to a Smashfest today, where I'll fight a decent MK. I'll tell you the results later

Flayl

Smash Hero
Brainstorming for banning/counterpicking stages:

Luigi's mansion -> He can easily Plank you (not necessarily by edge stalling, he can just run loops around the levels), your jump release chaingrab is harder and sometimes impossible inside the mansion.

On the other hand, the ceiling is lower than Final Destination until both of the levels are broken. If you're in the right spots in the lowest level (which you should be, never be above metaknight), he can't hit you without going head on, and FTilt beats those approaches.

gantrain05

Smash Master
technically i believe bowser bomb should **** all of meta's arials, seeing as bowser has the most rediculous super armor frames on the startup, and im not 100% certain, but i have seen a few people maybe DI out of the bowser bomb after the first him and escape the 2nd, but not very often.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
So here's my report from the Smashfest:
I fought 3 different MKs and I did quite well against them. I had about the same amounts of loses as wins, which means a lot, since 2 of the 3 players are better than me.

The biggest concern is indeed not to get gimped. I got gimped quite a lot, even if I could have prevented it. The Shuttle Loop just caught me off guard every time. But that's something I have to work on as a player.

I found the Bowser Bomb useful for getting to the ledge very fast. If you're high up and MKs chasing you Bowser drops down to the ledge, where he is safe. Dairs where no big trouble. Either utilt, usmash or the Bowser Bomb always beat it, it was in fact the move I had to worry about the least. Shuttle Loop is the most dangerous move against MK, that's something I will look at next

MrEh

Smash Hero
So here's my report from the Smashfest:
The biggest concern is indeed not to get gimped. I got gimped quite a lot, even if I could have prevented it.
Remember that the Fortress has outrageous amounts of priority. We should test to see if it'll cut through the Loop...

I found the Bowser Bomb useful for getting to the ledge very fast. If you're high up and MKs chasing you Bowser drops down to the ledge, where he is safe.
Same here. Bombing the ledge is pretty safe in most respects.

Dairs where no big trouble. Either utilt, usmash or the Bowser Bomb always beat it, it was in fact the move I had to worry about the least.
The Usmash was no question.

However, the Utilt and Bomb do indeed beat the Dair? Does the first hit of the Bomb actually beat the Dair? O_O

Shuttle Loop is the most dangerous move against MK, that's something I will look at next
Again, I'll try Loop and Fortress clashing.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Remember that the Fortress has outrageous amounts of priority. We should test to see if it'll cut through the Loop...
The problem is, that a smart MK can just aircamp until you do the fortress und punish you when landing - you'll fly off the stage again. You have to bait the Loop and the react accordingly. It's not easy but I assume it's managable

Same here. Bombing the ledge is pretty safe in most respects.
A thiny worth trying: Beating the Nado with the Bomb?

The Usmash was no question.

However, the Utilt and Bomb do indeed beat the Dair? Does the first hit of the Bomb actually beat the Dair? O_O
No. It's not so much, each move on its own but all three together. Plus you can still Shield -> something. Few characters have 3 options, that can potentially beat the dair. If you mix them intelligently, you can beat the dair almost always.

Hixxy

Smash Apprentice
If he's just spamming Shuttle Loop on stage, you can Ftilt, Nspecial, or just shield it, and then you'll have his glide attack to deal with. Unless you power shield his glide attack, it isn't really punishable, so you need to either get a spaced Ftilt by walking/dashing away or if the MK follows you with the glide, which a good MK should do, you'll have to just shield it and then Uspecial out of it. Chances are that he'll be able to get a move off before your fortress is out, and will end up getting you with it. I like to shield and wait for them to get near me and then roll behind him and then Ftilit, although he can still dodge it.

Bowser Bomb does not work against the Mach Tornado in my experience. I've hit dead center from above, and still gotten picked up, and it catches you when you try it from the ground. Also of note is that MK's Uair > Bowser Bomb, and it's so fast and lagless that he can make a wall of Uairs to keep you from returning, regardless of Bowser Bomb. If they're experienced with the match up, they'll just Uair you at the ledge when you try to recover that way, so it's still best to use fast fall and air dodge when trying to recover downwards only (e.g. not from the sides of the stage).

The biggest problem from Dair is when it's used for shield pressure. If he is Dairing you with proper spacing from above, he can just Dair to a tornado with complete safety. Bowser has moves that out prioritize it, but he doesn't have anything that comes out fast enough and has enough reach (when spaced properly, Uspecial doesn't reach MK).

If MK knocks you off the stage with a sweet spotted Dair, he can chain them all the way from the stage with more sweet spotted Dairs. When MK does that to me I try to air dodge right away and Uspecial to the ledge (you should be close enough), because if you wait too long, you can't recover.

Something else that really hurts is when MK knocks you off stage (particularly with a Dsmash), waits for you to recover, and then starts a Nspecial, picking you up, and then recovering. The best thing that you can do then is DI away from the stage, or else you'll be in a very bad situation; in the air near the ledge without a second jump, making a prime position for juggling with Uair/Nspecial/etc.

MK's approaches have answers to Bowser's defensive punishing game. MK can space an aerial (mainly Fair) to trump your Bowser claw and be safe from Bowser's Uspecial (countered by Ftilt), Nspecial up to you and then away (countered by Ftilit, but if you Ftilt after he is moving away, they can predict it and move back to catch you for the ending)dash grab (countered by Fspecial and Ftilt), and dash attack past your shield to a Dsmash (countered by Ftilit and Uspecial, although Uspecial only works if he doesn't dash attack late enough).

MK's best K.O. options are Uspecial, glide attack, Dsmash, and Fsmash. Uspecial is easy to land off stage, which should be often during this match up once you're at higher percents. Not only can it kill fresh, but it should knocked you far enough away that you'll need to use your second jump to recover, which he can easily drop from the ledge and use an aerial to send you back out to your doom. His glide attack is easy to land, nearly unpunishable, but predictable when spammed. The most you can do is Ftilit it if they're being too predictable, or defend. Bowser's only reliable answers to Dsmash are Uspecial if they're too close, Ftilit if they're too far, and Nspecial if they're just sitting there and spamming it. Dsmash can catch you off guard when used after dash attacks (especially if they dash attack to get past your shield and follow with a Dsmash). Fsmash is MK's best kill move, but has relatively high start up lag.

An answer to recovery that MK has once you reach 100% is to stand just in range for your ledge attack. When in this position, you're in trouble, because MK has an answer to anything that you do. If you stay on the ledge, he can Fsmash you (if you wait and perform a ledge attack when you see him start to Fsmash, he can still shield in time thanks to the low ending lag of Fsmash), shield your ledge attack, grab you, throw you back off (Dthrow works best, since the trajectory puts Bowser lower). If you try to jump over MK, he can Uspecial/Fair you right back off of the stage, or at the very least, you'll be in a juggling position. If you try to drop and then jump to land on the ground or go for an aerial, MK can Fsmash you. If you try to roll, he can Dsmash you, hitting you with the stronger end. This is your best option, since it is the only reliable way to leave the ledge position.

I apologize if I typed too much or made any errors.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I've found that playing MK with Marth can actually be easy to some extent. Marth has his counter that comes in handy in that match, it sometimes even wins it for me against friends. But the other thing is that in some situations Marth can easily out range MK, such as Fair (marth) vs Fair (MK). I outrange friends who play MK with my marth usually when this matchup occurs. Besides that, I've found that the only way to outsmart MK players is to wait for them to mess up. When people use mach tornado, simply counter or shield it and then punish them when it's over with either dancing blade or a forward smash. MK can be beaten but it is hard when you're playing a near perfect MK player like dojo or M2K. There's more strategies I'm sure I'm completely unaware of.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Bomber beating MK's DAir? Can't say I undertand what's going on there... Are we thinking about the same DAir approach?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
OK, I investigated further and found some new stuff. Some of it is unconfirmed but most of it works 100% (or let's rather say 90%) of the time:

Dtilt: Some people have problems to deal with MKs dtilt since it just pressures your shield into oblivion. It seems however that there's a reliable way to beat it. I heard about it from Jesiah's explanation on how Snake has the advantage over Meta Knight: You can just shield the first hit, drop the shield and apparently, you can just powershield the next hit and punish it with a fortess (or ftilt in Snakes) case. So just: Dtilt vs Shield -> (Drop Shield) -> Any Move vs Powershield -> Fortress. I tested it and it seems to work in at least 75% of the cases

Dair: Can be beaten by a grounded utilt. A grounded Bomb doesn't seem to work - the first hit has little priority. Unconfirmed: you can beat a midair dair with Bowsers uair. Many MKs try to keep you on the ground with this but you can beat it for an easy KO =P

Drill Rush: This is one of the most sexxyest things I've ever seen. Bowser dtilt beats the Drill Rush! If MK uses it to recover you can hit him with the dtilt for an easy KO

Shuttle Loop: With good DI you can not only live to ~200% but you can also make sure to recover from high almost all the time. If you recover from high above it's a complete guessing game for MK. You can just airdodge or you can use the UpB at once to get higher. It seems that the top point of the shuttle Loop has almost no knoackback and hitstun which is awesome since it leaves him open for a Bomb. Just make sure you use the UpB quickly to get to that point where the Shutte Loop doesn't hurt you much. You can also just Bowser Bomb down to the ledge before MK reaches you. I've never seen the shuttle Loop beating it. Just make sure you're not too predictable and you can recover safely to survive at least to 120%.

The next thing I'll look into will be Bowser Dsmash. It hits surprisingly often and is faster than I thought. I need to know how much dmg it deals if the opponent DI's perfectly and which attacks of MK leave him open for a guaranteed dsmash. Once I'm done with the moves I will not only update the OP with all the collected data but I'll also look deeper into the stages (stage specific KO % in particular). Right now I think, that Bowser has the advantage on Corneria, Halberd, Brinstar and goes even with MK on Final Destination and Castke Siege. However, I'm not quite sure about that and will look at it later, once I know how to deal with each single attack of MK

Flayl

Smash Hero
You mean Down Tilt there :p i'd wager if DTilt can do it, so can a downward-angled FTilt. DTilt lasts longer so it's easier to hit with, I guess.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Dtilt has better knockback than ftilt. At the edge it kills MK at very low % if he tries to recover. Ftilt is a bit too weak.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I got a few things to add, i've been doing much of the same testing with dk's, so i'll give you some tips and points to look into

first off, SDI'ing the fair works too well, i'm not sure what bowser can punish it with (probably fairs or sidebs) but i do know dk can punish with his punch or fastfalled upb, look into that, also look into what you can use low to the ground, probably ftilts or dtilts. try everything just in case (for all we know bowser bomb works)

against the shuttle loop, it's hard to punish at first, but there's a few tricks against it. basically he's stuck in the air with no safe follow up if you shield, either upb or dsmash when he hits your shield with a glide attack, maybe grab if you have good placing

also, SDI the tornado up and punish with a bowser bomb if he doesn't gtfo then and there, coming from the top bowser bomb wins

gantrain05

Smash Master
I got a few things to add, i've been doing much of the same testing with dk's, so i'll give you some tips and points to look into

first off, SDI'ing the fair works too well, i'm not sure what bowser can punish it with (probably fairs or sidebs) but i do know dk can punish with his punch or fastfalled upb, look into that, also look into what you can use low to the ground, probably ftilts or dtilts. try everything just in case (for all we know bowser bomb works)

against the shuttle loop, it's hard to punish at first, but there's a few tricks against it. basically he's stuck in the air with no safe follow up if you shield, either upb or dsmash when he hits your shield with a glide attack, maybe grab if you have good placing

also, SDI the tornado up and punish with a bowser bomb if he doesn't gtfo then and there, coming from the top bowser bomb wins
one thing to note about bowser bombing the nado, you really have to be DIRECTLY above the tornado for this to work, if you are off to the sides even a little you will just be caught in it again, i've done it many times =/

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
No, unless its the beginning frames of the tornado.
Uh, I don't completely understand what your saying, are you saying DownB beats tornado from above? If so your wrong.

TKD

Smash Lord
MK can be beaten but it is hard when you're playing a near perfect MK player like dojo or M2K. There's more strategies I'm sure I'm completely unaware of.
LOL @ Dojo being called "near-perfect" Sorry for the spam but it was funny

About Bowser's grab release chain on MK, it won't work if you pummel too much or are pummeling near the moment he breaks your grab. He'll always jumpbreak if you give him that last moment to let him break your grab. So at low %'s I don't think you can even pummel once if you want him to jump break, which doesn't matter because the jump break is only useful to grab release chain MK into the end of FD or maybe Smashville and KO him with a fair at high % (or near high % when fresh I think). Sorry if it has other uses and I'm unaware of them. I only read a bit of the thread. It should be split into parts and have titled sections so it's easier to read IMO.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
LOL @ Dojo being called "near-perfect" Sorry for the spam but it was funny

About Bowser's grab release chain on MK, it won't work if you pummel too much or are pummeling near the moment he breaks your grab. He'll always jumpbreak if you give him that last moment to let him break your grab. So at low %'s I don't think you can even pummel once if you want him to jump break, which doesn't matter because the jump break is only useful to grab release chain MK into the end of FD or maybe Smashville and KO him with a fair at high % (or near high % when fresh I think). Sorry if it has other uses and I'm unaware of them. I only read a bit of the thread. It should be split into parts and have titled sections so it's easier to read IMO.
It's better if he ground releases because continually pummeling him gives him more damage and if he ground releases just regrab lol and repeat.

MrEh

Smash Hero
It's better if he ground releases because continually pummeling him gives him more damage and if he ground releases just regrab lol and repeat.
The longer it takes to reach the ledge, the better. Plus, it looks funny to see Bowser smacking Meta with his head so much.

Top Bottom