• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~~ Into the Fray: A Snake Survival Guide ~~

bluebolt

Smash Journeyman
I used utilt 1st, nothing 2nd time it hit with more priority. whats this about?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
This is a little strange... When you press the grab button immediately after you input the dash attack, you will cause Snake to cancel his dash attack and have him grab and lunge farther than usual. When you do it correctly, you can increase the range of his grab a bit.

Slithe

Smash Apprentice
this guide is really helpful, thanks for posting it.

oh, and btw, I think I found a new Snake combo. If someone else found it, please direct me to where it was first discovered, but if you pull out a grenade, shield, pick it up and then throw it up and immediately up-tilt an approaching opponent who has at least 90-100% damage on them, they will fly high enough into the grenade right as it explodes.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
this guide is really helpful, thanks for posting it.

oh, and btw, I think I found a new Snake combo. If someone else found it, please direct me to where it was first discovered, but if you pull out a grenade, shield, pick it up and then throw it up and immediately up-tilt an approaching opponent who has at least 90-100% damage on them, they will fly high enough into the grenade right as it explodes.
No problem, glad to help.

Also, what you mentioned is quite situational and I don't know if it's exactly a "discovery" because it's simply another mixup of synergy between Snake's explosives and his attacks. I personally have not seen utilt into grenade, but I have done utilt into a mortar and seen land mine into full hopped nair or fair. (In fact I was on the receiving end of that one)

Also, I have a vid of me on youtube somewhere doing a nikita-> fair spike, edgeguard kill. lol.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
Lol I always find posts from you Hot arms.

Yeah best combo imo is

Ftilt into Mine into ANY aerial (Uair is what I usually do because it works more often).

It's a 40-55% in one shot if you do it right. (Grab works also only if you don't DI)

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
lol ally geez stop stalking me X]

also i thought, as long as you space it right, bthrow will always go to mine at low percents

p.s. i have a funny thing to tell you

BlackWolf020

Smash Rookie
the mortar slide can also be done pretty easy on the wii classic controller by flipping the right analog down and up really quickly

GFE

Smash Journeyman
anyone friendlys snake dittos or whatever man i just wanna own

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if they have been covered in some way before, but I have some nice tricks I like to do with grenades.

When you're waiting for your opponent to recover to the stage, you can drop a grenade straight off the edge by shield dropping backwards at the edge. This is useful against opponents recovering from below that have up-bs with hitboxes for most of their duration (Marth, DK, Falco, etc.).

The other trick is something I like to call the "grenade fake-out". You drop one grenade and then throw a second one normally right after. You follow up by throwing you first grenade which will at least be a bit cooked by now. This is actual rather effective because your opponent will probably expect the grenade you threw first to explode first.

If you cooked the first grenade to blow up shortly after you throw it, you can actually cause a nice chain-reaction by hitting your second grenade (first thrown) with it.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
Funny how 7 months ago Snake's metagame was this well covered compared to today.

So far the only "new" developments really are pivot grabbing useful to follow up dthrow with (and pivot grabbing applies for all characters anyway so it isn't really revolutionary), and perhaps throwing into a mine and following with uair/nair (which is simply just coordination between your attacks and your explosives, essentially just mixing up explosive combinations).

I'm sure there are other miscellaneous things involving grenade timing and such but hell the guide still works fine to get new Snake players straight into the metagame today.

**** rusty, mad props. :D

Snux

Smash Rookie
Thanks alot for this guide it really helped me out when i went off playing snake, It just gives you the solid base of knowledge you need to play Snake : )

Eduardomsc

Smash Rookie
i made some tests to find out which projectiles destroy the nikita missile,maybe you could add it to your guide.

What destroys the nikita missile:

-Samus' fully charged charge shot (neutralB)
-Snake's nikita missile(sideB)
-Snake's C4(not really a projectile,but i put it here anyway)
-Snake's landmine,if the missile is close enough to the ground(see C4)
-Bob-omb(only here because Peach sometimes picks up one of these with her downB)
-Dedede's Gordos(sideB)
-Dedede's Waddle Dees/Doos when they already are on the ground(sideB)
-Lucario's fully charged aura sphere when he is at 100% dmg or more
-Ness' fully charged PK Flash(neutralB)
-R.O.B's laser(neutralB) (even though it doesn't destroy the missile,it goes right through it and hits you anyway)
-Olimar's yellow,white,blue and red Pikmins(sideB) (the red one is the only one who is not killed by the blast,and the purple pikmin only deflects the missile,doesn't destroy it)

Sorceress Zelda

Smash Rookie
Thanks a ton for all this info! I am now learning the Non-contact Mortar Slide. A Big thanks to all here at SWF for compiling this great info. :) I can now perform the Non-contact Mortar slide!

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
That was a very useful guide. Thanks for writing this. I am developing with Snake and I could argue that he may be the most strategic character in brawl? Anyone agree with me. Could there be anyone more strategic than Snake in terms of how he can scrape down the options the opponent has of escaping from Snake's attacks? I believe so

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Thanks a ton for all this info! I am now learning the Non-contact Mortar Slide. A Big thanks to all here at SWF for compiling this great info. :) I can now perform the Non-contact Mortar slide!
Lucky you. I'm still practising yet I still cannot perform the non-contact mortar slide. I tried using the dust given off by Snake as a guide and only once have I performed it correctly. The contact one is simple and easy

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
i made some tests to find out which projectiles destroy the nikita missile,maybe you could add it to your guide.

What destroys the nikita missile:

-Samus' fully charged charge shot (neutralB)
-Snake's nikita missile(sideB)
-Snake's C4(not really a projectile,but i put it here anyway)
-Snake's landmine,if the missile is close enough to the ground(see C4)
-Bob-omb(only here because Peach sometimes picks up one of these with her downB)
-Dedede's Gordos(sideB)
-Dedede's Waddle Dees/Doos when they already are on the ground(sideB)
-Lucario's fully charged aura sphere when he is at 100% dmg or more
-Ness' fully charged PK Flash(neutralB)
-R.O.B's laser(neutralB) (even though it doesn't destroy the missile,it goes right through it and hits you anyway)
-Olimar's yellow,white,blue and red Pikmins(sideB) (the red one is the only one who is not killed by the blast,and the purple pikmin only deflects the missile,doesn't destroy it)
Thanks for the extra info. Now I know how to guard safely against those projectiles. Though not the fastest option it is still a good option to protect oneself during brawls because normally the best option is to approach whilst walking with Snake

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Lucky you. I'm still practising yet I still cannot perform the non-contact mortar slide. I tried using the dust given off by Snake as a guide and only once have I performed it correctly. The contact one is simple and easy
Just go to training mode, set the speed a bit slower, and practice there. Use the c-stick down -> z+up on analog method. I believe that is easiest. Practice is the key.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
lol quadruple post

also, i took the pics as moreso to show how big the hitbox really is for the tilts, meaning you should take advantage of that...........and also to show how broken snakes tilts are, but not really

Top Bottom