• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~~ Into the Fray: A Snake Survival Guide ~~

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
I was testing some stuff with Snake and you might want to add this to your Mortar section of your guide.

I'm sure you guys have seen people like PsychoMidget charging the usmash then releasing a second having both explosions go off at the same time.

To time this, when you charge a smash your character flashes. Release the attack after Snake flashes 4 times and immediately release a second, they'll land at the exact same time.

Sorry if this was known already.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I was testing some stuff with Snake and you might want to add this to your Mortar section of your guide.

I'm sure you guys have seen people like PsychoMidget charging the usmash then releasing a second having both explosions go off at the same time.

To time this, when you charge a smash your character flashes. Release the attack after Snake flashes 4 times and immediately release a second, they'll land at the exact same time.

Sorry if this was known already.
Oh, fancy that. Nice bit of info there, I'll add it, thanks :).

You may want to add that it takes approximately 5 seconds for the grenade to cook.
Actually, I did do tests with a timer while making this guide and the average times fluctuated around 3 seconds. I was surprised because I, too, approximated the time to be around 5 seconds counting in my head. Even after knowing that, I totally neglected the 3 second true count and continued to cook it on my own count.

So in conclusion, I think I left cooking time ambiguous on the guide since everyone has their own method of cooking or their own way of timing it for themselves.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
This is one of the best threads I've ever seen on this site. It almost makes me want to main Snake so that I can put it to use.

Almost. ;)

Deadlypudding

Smash Cadet
I know grenade tricks are done to hell and back, but I have one that I just recently made.

First, take out a grenade shield drop and pick it back up. The run towards your opponent. Do a double jump while DIing away from your opponent yet still facing them. Press b to drop the first grenade and pull out a second. Short throw the second grenade before landing. This creates a difficult obstacle for your opponent to break through since the first grenade will likely explode immediately after dropping. The second will cause your opponent to hesitate and if picked up by them can be stripped since you only have the one nade in play now. Also if you do it close enough to your opponent they'll be blown up by the first nade and the forced to DI away from the second.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Wow, Snake is a lot more complicated than I thought: He can make countless combos with his projectiles! Thanks for the guide; the pictures were really useful

ShadowDigo

Smash Cadet
Yeah, those pictures just rock!
Thanks a lot for the guide, it's fantastic.
You did an exceptional job, Rusty.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
This guide basically taught me how to use Snake and made him my main. It is without a doubt one of the best guides Ive seen for any character. Its really in depth and very very very helpful.

Great job

EDIT: 5/5 rating

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
omg abit_rusty is too good

he took the screenshots himself, using his feet to control the actions of the other character!

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
omg abit_rusty is too good

he took the screenshots himself, using his feet to control the actions of the other character!
lol someone's jealous/sore from a 2-stocking spree. >.>

Also thanks everyone for the positive comments.

T*H*O*R

Smash Cadet
Just a tiny tidbit I found a while back that doesn't deserve its own thread or anything, but does have its situational uses:

If you have a shield dropped grenade in your hand and you are dashing away from your opponent, if you wan t to throw it behind you while dashing, you either have to stop and turn around or jump and then throw backwards. However, only with a grenade in your hand, you can cancel your dash by jumping and then immediately throwing in the opposite direction, it is significantly faster than the other methods for throwing behind yourself while dashing and it can be useful for mindgames or getting rid of a grenade if you overshot someone. Oh and this also works out of a mortar slide.

Check it out, it may be something worth adding to your grenade section.

Llencelyn

Smash Rookie
Not sure how useful it may be...

But if you stand at the very edge of most stages, with your back turned to the edge, and you use the grenade drop technique (be it by shielding or side stepping), the grenade drops straight down into the abyss. In my ideal world, this grenade bounces off a Pit that's trying to come back up from almost directly below. Of course, it might just be easier to pick up the grenade and throw it down at him yourself.

Llencelyn

Smash Rookie
Don't think it makes them flinch. I'll have to test out and see if it at least keeps bouncing on top of them as they make their way up. On the other hand, it should explode right away if the character down below uses a recovery with damaging capabilities. Like say... Fox, Wolf and King Dedede.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
Don't think it makes them flinch. I'll have to test out and see if it at least keeps bouncing on top of them as they make their way up. On the other hand, it should explode right away if the character down below uses a recovery with damaging capabilities. Like say... Fox, Wolf and King Dedede.
ddd has super armor going up... :(

as for wolf and fox i guess it could work.

Interpol

Smash Rookie
Ive got one Noobquestion.
How do you guys make with snake that fast Punches after his down tilt?
Like here

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Hold A after the tilt, with the auto-jab thing Brawl has Snake'll spam his Jab after the tilt when you hold A.

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
Great guide, helped out a lot and taught me a few things I didn't know.

I do have a question regarding grenade usage though: what's a good mix for using them? I went to a tournament last weekend and had the hardest time using them as good projectiles (especially vs Pit). I get grenade cooking and trying to throw it at them right after they begin to attack (self-detonation ftw). Are its projectile properties not as useful as its "counter" ones?

I guess to sum up my question, how should I be generally using grenades?

Thanks a lot in advance.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Great guide, helped out a lot and taught me a few things I didn't know.

I do have a question regarding grenade usage though: what's a good mix for using them? I went to a tournament last weekend and had the hardest time using them as good projectiles (especially vs Pit). I get grenade cooking and trying to throw it at them right after they begin to attack (self-detonation ftw). Are its projectile properties not as useful as its "counter" ones?

I guess to sum up my question, how should I be generally using grenades?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Notice how Nades don't make them flinch. Well, they aren't projectiles to be used to keep the opponent at bay, per say. Rather, they are used to flush the opponent out of his position or stop what he's currently doing. Grenade cooking can only go so far because the opponent can charge at you while you're doing so, or interrupt you with a quicker projectile. Against such opponents, i.e. Pit, you'll want to jump and/or vary the trajectory for your nade, but the most it can do is halt his arrow spam, not clash against it. However, you can take this chance to move in closer.

I think in general you can sum up grenades being used to halt an opponent's actions. From afar, though you can not spam them as effectively as other characters can spam their projectiles, you can still harass due to their timer and ability to be cooked, as well as large blast radius. Anyone projectile spamming or camping from afar will always stop and/or move when a nade's thrown at them. Up close, you can use it as a defense mechanism to again halt an opponent's flurry of attacks, through nade counteriing or simply shield dropping it near the opponent. The hesitation that grenades cause can shift the control of the fight to your favor.

DasGensu

Smash Rookie
****, with ur guide i learned to play snake. before this guide i jsut saw him as one of those "ull never gonna learn how this char can kick some ***" characters, but after reading this and practicing some time I beat some pretty good smash friends of mine.
btw the bdown c4 dropping (in the air) rocks due to the fact that the c4 is barely visible to players not absolutely used to it so even if u dont ignite it after landing the surprising effect of the explosion got me MANY kills already :D

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Okay firstly, I have read almost all of the guide, unless there have been new additions.

And I come bearing the news about what I know about Snake as an Olimar main, use this as you may.

Snake

Latch areas: head, front leg, back leg, and back

If latched to the _____ will remove the pikmin.

Head: Dash attack, Neutral Air, Forward Air, Up Air, Jabs, Forward Tilt, Down Tilt, Up Tilt

Back: Jabs, Down Tilt

Front Leg: Neutral Air, Forward Air, Back Air, Up Air, Down Air, Jabs, Forward Tilt, Up Tilt

Back Leg: Neutral Air, Forward Air, Back Air, Up Air, Forward smash, Down Tilt

My Recommendation
AIM FOR : Snake's back and back legs, the majority of the attacks are facing you but if you land a pikmin on them, a dash attack won't remove it easily. The options to remove the pikmin become limited to laggy aerials which is really good for you.
Snake's Mortar slide WILL not remove the pikmin on him unless they are on his head.
Up Smash is doesn't kill any pikmin unless the mortar lands next to or on Snake, unless they're red.

BEST Color for the match:
RED- The red pikmin shines bright in this match, able to trip mines, literally and walk through a foward smash from Snake, RPG, without harm. Even able to Explode a mine in the act of grabbing. Note that the act of latching a red pikmin will blow up the nikita missile, which is always good. The little red pikmin earn their spot in this match.

I know this isn't information guided to making a better Snake but its info about what Olimar can do and what the latch attack can do to Snake. and Since this is, in my belief the hardest match up for Snake take this and figure out what Snake can do with this info.

-your friendly Olimar

tutata

Smash Ace
Great guide! I was working on one for Snake, similar to my Falcon one in Melee. But everyone is making such great vids/guides for him, it's not that necessary!

Also, I agree: Utilt is amazing. Especially when someone is running at you, and before they get into grab range, hitting them with it and juggling them with it. That always gets a big "WTF OMG!" :D:D:D
I also agree the up titlt is "deep" <-- good,. I love it on battle field because of the platforms. BTW i love your captain falcon meele guide angelobangelo

Top Bottom