• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDC20XL

Smash Rookie
Tails. Cool? ........ ok fine. Sortof. But Knux is awesome, added to the fact he's more fit for fighting. Plus he can already do what some ppl can in brawl- Glide and Wall Stick. Added to the fact that he could be the next great heavy-hitter! He's got upper-cuts, straight jabs, digging, heck he can even swim! He has SO much potential.

justaway12

Smash Master
Yes but tails can fly and since he has been sonic sidekick in almost every game has a much better chance he is like marios luigi besides it's not like game&watch and some other characters are meant for fighting.

Ice!

Smash Apprentice
If Megaman is added, he should be along with Zero, for Sonic characters I would like to see Silver and Knuckles, Shadow must remain as an assist trophy. If Snake returns, he must be old, and Gray Fox must be replaced by Raiden as an assist trophy. I personally don't like Bomberman, but if he is added, well what can I do?

DDC20XL

Smash Rookie
Sure he'd be like mario's luigi but c'mon ITS KNUCKLES! He's strong, fast, loves a good fight, his intro cutscene would be awesome!

and Wario is here too.... riiight? Wario is to Mario like Knuckles is to Sonic (excluding the fact that knux is a "friendly" rival).

Added, can you think of good alt costumes for tails? I sure can't. Knux, he could have his hat from the movie, or his getup from riders!

And he'd have great catchphrases for situational battles like when Wolf wins against Fox!

justaway12

Smash Master
You don't need good alt.coustume to be in brawl. Have you seen Sonics? They did even give him his sunglasses from riders. I suppose I could argue that Wario got in because of his warioware games (which he did) but everyone knows Luigi>Wario in terms of mario but I do think Knuckles would get in if they had 3 sonic chars.

@Ice!: Well unless they find the fountian of youth or something like that in his next game snake has to old doesn't he or not in the game at all which what I might expect but again I'm not sure.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Despite him not having as much involvement in the Mushroom Kingdom, I like Wario better as a character. He's much more unique than Luigi in both abilities and character design and he had more games than Luigi did. That doesn't mean that I don't like Luigi, since I like his super long wavedash in Melee (that's why he's my Melee favorite), Luigi's Manson, and being able to stand up for what's important to him. I just like Wario better as a character for the reasons I stated above.

Tails has his attacks from Sonic Battle that are pretty unique, so he could be more interesting than Knuckles.

justaway12

Smash Master
Despite him not having as much involvement in the Mushroom Kingdom, I like Wario better as a character. He's much more unique than Luigi in both abilities and character design and he had more games than Luigi did. That doesn't mean that I don't like Luigi, since I like his super long wavedash in Melee (that's why he's my Melee favorite), Luigi's Manson, and being able to stand up for what's important to him. I just like Wario better as a character for the reasons I stated above.

Tails has his attacks from Sonic Battle that are pretty unique, so he could be more interesting than Knuckles.
I wasn't talking about peoples opinions I was talking about games and second bananas have more priorty over pretty much everyone else other than the main character.

Also how about we move on from the sonic and mario discussion it's getting kind of boring why don't we talk about someone or something else
even though we always come back to mario and sonic

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
I think there are a lot of characters that need buffed lets talk about that.

Mario: Nintendo's pride and joy deserves to be good but he's only okay. I think he should stay balanced but boost up all of his stats by 1 so he is above average. His ^B should hit more often and go a bit higher. His vB should push opponents further. His cape should be able to be held turning his jump into a glide. It might make him a bit broken though. :(

Captain falcon:Make him faster and easier to connect with. Make his >b and vB go farther sideways. Falcon puch needs to be faster.

Yoshi: Make him able to eat things with B(does nothing but is fun.). Keep the aerial boost in ^B, but make it so you can push down afterwards and he'll aim it at his butt pushing him upwards(After that he could go helpless for all i care.) His tongue needs to be a tether grab, and make it so he doesn't go helpless after side b in the air. It kills him to often and he no longer gets the vertical boost.

justaway12

Smash Master
I think there are a lot of characters that need buffed lets talk about that.

Mario: Nintendo's pride and joy deserves to be good but he's only okay. I think he should stay balanced but boost up all of his stats by 1 so he is above average. His ^B should hit more often and go a bit higher. His vB should push opponents further. His cape should be able to be held turning his jump into a glide. It might make him a bit broken though. :(

WHO CARES IF HE'S BROKEN MARIO FOR TOP TEIR

Captain falcon:Make him faster and easier to connect with. Make his >b and vB go farther sideways. Falcon puch needs to be faster.

yeah he is ok and he does deserve a higher placement IMO

Yoshi: Make him able to eat things with B(does nothing but is fun.). Keep the aerial boost in ^B, but make it so you can push down afterwards and he'll aim it at his butt pushing him upwards(After that he could go helpless for all i care.) His tongue needs to be a tether grab, and make it so he doesn't go helpless after side b in the air. It kills him to often and he no longer gets the vertical boost.

Yoshi already eats people with his grabs and he the same thing with his up B he already does that right? I would like to see a tether grab.
comment are in pink and also italic too make it look pretty.

Here is what I think for peach and just for fun i'm going to number it

1.)Replace her turnips wtih bob-ombs
2.)bring back peachs Dsmash in melee but probably buffed up a bit
3.) make her stay in the air for as long as she waants
4.)turn her hearts into super sharp daggers that can instant KO
5.)FACON PAUNCH

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
@justaway: yoshi gets a small boost from his up b but you can't aim the egg down to hit his but pushing him up. And i want him to eat items even though it's useless.

I also think jigglyppuff needs denerfed. Her down B needs to be as powerful as in melee because it is already hard to connect with.
Sonic really needs help. Give him some killing moves like making ^B more powerful and his down B to something with power.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
another smash??? if from melee to brawl was almost 8 years... what will it be for another smash...

I won't be supporting something that maybe won't be released soon, that would take years for nintendo to make a better not, fun but competitive smash game like it happened with melee

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Meta Knight: He must be vulnerable while in tornado form.
He is. =0

Toon Link's D-Air, Samus Full Charged Shot, Ike's as well as Marth's Counter, Donkey Kong's Giant Punch, and more.

You mean make him more vulnerable while he's doing the move I will understand because of his landing lag isn't enough to keep him from doing this move again. Though in the game, if Kirby was in Tornado form, he can't get hurt while in tornado from, one of the reason why they call Tornado Kirby the most broken abilty yet.

Ice!

Smash Apprentice
He is. =0

Toon Link's D-Air, Samus Full Charged Shot, Ike's as well as Marth's Counter, Donkey Kong's Giant Punch, and more.

You mean make him more vulnerable while he's doing the move I will understand because of his landing lag isn't enough to keep him from doing this move again. Though in the game, if Kirby was in Tornado form, he can't get hurt while in tornado from, one of the reason why they call Tornado Kirby the most broken abilty yet.

Yes, that's what I mean, moar vulnerable.:bee:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
lol, metaknight it's not broken, you silly noobs XD <--This is sarcasm, don't flame me >_>

DaThings

Smash Rookie
If the Falcon Punch becomes an Instant KO, it'd be too easy to use. It should then be extended.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
And spam arrows!
I was wondering why you didn't mention a projectile. But now that we're at it, he should have a hybrid of Falco's laser with Wolf's and Pit's. It hits you if you are on the ground, and you can maneuver it if you so choose. :)

If it's "TOO" broken then we should just replace his down-B with ROB's gyro. I'd like to have a glidetossing MK

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Super Smash Brothers 4 Prediction List
version 1.0

Before reading this there are a few very important things you should remember. The first of which is that this list was made by the Official SSB4 Social Group (OSSG), which is comprised of those of whom have proved themselves both intelligent and insightful in the discussion of SSB4.

Certain characters from certain series were barely chosen over others. A good example of this would be for the Mario series – Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario are both considered likely, but Bowser Jr. was chosen over Paper Mario simply because he is more likely. If we DO make another version of this list, we might see some characters that barely didn’t make it on, well, make it on.

If your favorite character was not on this list, there is nothing else to say but ‘too bad’. This doesn’t claim to be a complete or even correct roster, just a list of the characters that we can say have a very good chance of getting in. As you can see, there are only 44 characters on this list, and most people expect a number around 50! Don’t come in here complaining if any character wasn’t on this list – ESPECIALLY IF THIS CHARACTER IS NAMED KRYSTAL OR MEWTWO. Those two aren’t getting in. They have been subject to a lot of discussion and the consensus was unanimous – they would be cool to see, but they just are not likely characters.

And now... this list! Remember we don't claim to be official or even for all of this to be correct once SSB4 rolls around -- these characters are just the most likely.

Mario Series

Mario- Do I really need an explanation here? Undeniably the most recognizable video game character of all time and the mascot of Nintendo, SSB4 would be a bad game just not for including him.

Luigi- The slightly less popular younger brother of Mario. Still extremely recognizable and important to Nintendo. He is also part of the original 12, so he wouldn’t be taken out anyway.

Peach- Need I really say anything here? Mario’s assumed girlfriend and the Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom, Peach isn’t a slouch at fighting herself! Simply to important to leave out.

Bowser- Mario’s long time enemy and leader of the Koopa’s. To important to leave out.

Bowser Jr.- As much as I would prefer to see Paper Mario or a Baby Mario Bros. team, Bowser Jr. is simply the most likely fifth character from the Mario series. Hopefully he’ll get his paintbrush from Super Mario Sunshine, which will lead to a very unique and very fun moveset.

Donkey Kong Series

Donkey Kong- The titular character and primary antagonist of Nintendo’s first big game, Donkey Kong. Extremely important to Nintendo and part of the original 12. Why would he not be in the next Super Smash Brothers?

Diddy Kong- Donkey Kong’s sidekick and friend, he is very important to the series. He was expected to be in back in Melee by most, but he had to wait until Brawl to get his turn.

King K. Rool- The antagonist of the Donkey Kong series. He will be the only newcomer for this series. Being part of Nintendo’s fourth highest selling series, he would be the most important third character.

Yoshi Series

Yoshi- Arguably more of a sidekick that Luigi ever was, Yoshi is a fan favorite and a major part of Nintendo. Hell, he almost counts as part of the Mario series, but the Brawl character select screen doesn’t have him as a Mushroom Kingdom-er. Part of the original 12, so there is no reason for him to get kicked.

Wario Series

Wario- Speaks for himself. Introduced as evil rival to Mario, has been main villain in a main game and several spin-offs, starred as a character in many games of the Mario series and almost all spin-offs. He also has 2 of his own series (Wario Land and WarioWare), both which are rather successful and don't seem to be stopped so soon. Not to mention that it was a shock that he didn’t appear in Melee.

Zelda Series

Link- Obviously, he’s going to stay in. Recognizable to gamers everywhere, Link is too important to Nintendo to not be in Smash.

Zelda/Shiek- Being the titular character, Zelda is obviously important. Add in her alter ego Shiek, and you get two movesets for the price of one!

Ganondorf (De-cloned)- Ganondorf is the primary antagonist of the Zelda series. Sadly, he’s been a clone of Captain Falcon since Melee! Ganondorf will be de-cloned for SSB4.

Toon Link (Luigified)- While the idea of Toon Link not being the same as Link may seem a little far-fetched, Toon Link has many viable options for him. Toon Link will be de-cloned, or at the very least luigified, for SSB4.

Tingle - while not the most favorable of Zelda characters, he is obviously the current candidate for a seat with the playable Zelda reps in SSB4. Why? Well, not only was he featured as an Assist Trophy, but he has starred in two of his own spin-off games (notably two of the very, very few Zelda spin-offs in the history of the series). He has a rather large fanbase in comparison to just about every other plausible character (with Vaati being his current, main rival).

Metroid Series

Samus/Zero Suit Samus- Samus is a ‘no duh’ character. Zero Suit Samus is an awesome addition. No argument here.

Ridley- One word: fan demand. While Metroid may not be as good as a seller as many other Nintendo games, Ridley was the one character that could earn you a ban on some websites just by making a thread about him in the pre-Brawl days. Obviously, he is well liked. The question isn’t ‘why should Ridley be in SSB4’ but ‘Why wasn’t Ridley in Brawl?’

Kid Icarus Series

Pit- Pit serves the retro bill quite nicely. Not very well known, but was as pretty big hit back in the day. While he’s not OMG MUST HAVE MUST HAVE, he’s pretty popular now due to his Brawl appearance, so fan demand alone should keep him in.

Ice Climber

Ice Climbers- The Ice Climbers, just like Pit, are good for retro characters. Not very well known today, but was a pretty big hit back in the day. And due to being in both Melee and Brawl, it would be a surprise to see them go. With a cult following and unique moveset, the ICs are pretty much guaranteed a spot in the next Super Smash Brothers.

Kirby Series

Kirby- Everybody’s favorite pink puffball is back! Being the protagonist and most recognizable character from the series, he’ll obviously be in. Not to mention that he’s part of the original 12.

Meta-Knight- A recurring antagonist of the Kirby series, though not the main one. But, the Kirby series is still important to Nintendo (fifth best selling) and Meta-Knight has had some popularity even before Brawl. Not to mention that he was planned to be in Melee but was cut from the final roster.

Kind Dedede- Primary antagonist of the Kirby series. He has had popularity even before Brawl and was supposed to be in back in the Smash 64 days! I don’t see any reason for him to be cut.

Pikmin Series

Captain Olimar- One of the greatest WTF characters ever, and probably my most pleasant surprise on the Brawl roster. Deserving because Pikmin is a popular new IP, and is going to stay because a new game has been announced – or at the very least, a new version of the game. This is all not even talking about the incredibly unique moveset.

Star Fox Series

Fox- Been around since the Nintendo 64 days and is from a series that got its own competition around it back in the 90s. Though he’s not a top seller, he’s still pretty important.

Falco (Luigified)- Though he’s not as much of a clone as he was in Melee, he could still use a bit more variety from Fox. He’s been around since Melee, so he’s obviously going to stay in the game.

Wolf - Wolf has huge popularity in Japan, which comes first when it comes to Smash. He is a recurring character (usually an antagonist) in the Star Fox series, which has huge success in Japan and moderate success in the US. There is no chance of Wolf getting cut.

F-Zero Series

Captain Falcon- Is any explanation needed here? Not even looking at his mega-popularity, he’s the main character of a game that has spawned its own anime and arcade game. Though the series isn’t a top seller, Nintendo definitely seems to like it. It’s surprising the series didn’t get a second rep in Brawl!

Black Shadow (Ganondorf’s old moveset)- The primary antagonist of the F-Zero games, Black Shadow is the most likely pick for F-Zero’s second character. Not to mention that he seems made for Ganondorf’s current moveset, which is a clone of Captain Falcon’s.

Pokemon Series

Pikachu- Probably the most obvious character for Smash right after Mario. Almost as well known as the plumber and probably just as important, Smash wouldn’t feel right without everybody’s favorite electric rodent.

Pokemon Trainer- Staying in because Sakurai likes the nostalgia characters and has obvious bias towards the first generation of Pokemon. Not to mention that PT was an immediate fan favorite.

Jigglypuff- While a lot of people express anti-Jigglypuff views, it can’t be forgotten that Japan comes first when it comes to Smash and Jigglypuff is the second most popular Pokemon there – right after Pikachu. Also, she’s original 12, so her spot is guaranteed.

Fifth Generation Pokemon- Not much can be said about this one. This is a very likely roster position, seeing as the Pokemon Company likes advertising so much. Not to mention a smash with no representation of the newest generation would be a bit weird.

Lucario – He was already predisposed to be popular when he was revealed early for the fourth generation of Pokemon in the movie Pokemon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, both because it made him a more exposed Pokemon and many people were impressed by the looks of him in the movie. Since then, he’s become the most popular of the fourth generation of Pokemon, the most recent one to date. Pokemon has always been one to have many reps – counting PT’s Pokemon individually, it is the franchise with the most reps in Brawl – so it wouldn’t be surprising at all if such a popular and well-known Pokemon made the cut.

Fire Emblem Series

Marth- The main character from the first game and a veteran smasher. How will he not be in SSB4? Not to mention that his game is about to come out in a remake on the DS, so he’s practically got his spot guaranteed!

Ike- First 3-D lord. Not to mention that everybody loved him in the game because he was so good that you could beat all of FE9 just using Ike. And the blue hair. Oh, god, the blue hair.

New FE Lord- For those of you who don’t know what an FE Lord is, it’s the main character of a Fire Emblem game. Obviously, Fire Emblem is going to get a 3rd rep. It’s 11th game is about to come out, so the series obviously has a lot going for it.

Mother Series

Ness- The original WTF character. He’s been around since the beginning, so he’s not going anywhere despite what anybody says. Not to mention that he attacks using a Yo-Yo. How awesome is that?

Lucas- Lucas will not stay because of popularity or how important his series, but because of how much Sakurai likes Mother. Obviously, a character from a Japan only game from a series that only has three entries is going to need at least some bias from the creator to get him in.

Game and Watch Series

Mr. Game and Watch- Despite what anybody says, the Game and Watch series is just too important to Nintendo to not have a rep. Being Nintendo’s first notable attempt at a video game, the series enjoyed a seven year life spam. Not to mention that Game and Watch should stay in if only as a tribute to Gunpei Yokoi.

Punch-Out!!

Little Mac- Everybody’s favorite boxer is also a pretty logical choice for SSB4! Appearing first as an Assist Trophy, and now he’s getting his series revived, Little Mac’s chances to become a smasher have become increased substantially. Not to mention that he fits the same bill that Pit and the Ice Climbers do, with his game being a pretty big thing back in the day.

Third Party

Solid Snake (Metal Gear)- Solid Snake was the character that made people not otherwise interested go out and buy Smash. Solid Snake is the character that people will recognize as one of gaming’s icons. Solid Snake deserves to be in Smash.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog)- Sonic was a character that everybody has been clamoring for since the original Super Smash Brothers. Not to mention that a prank by IGN sent the internet ablaze with rumors on how to unlock Sonic in Melee. Sonic’s inclusion was not only one that was obvious, but was one that can settle an age old rivalry.

Megaman (Megaman)- Another character that a lot of people expected to be in Brawl. Even Megaman’s creator has expressed interest in Megaman becoming a Smasher, so it’s a good bet that he’ll make it into SSB4. Not to mention that he has the wild fan demand that drove Sonic to eventually being added.

Second Party

Isaac (Golden Sun)- Making his first appearance as a mere Assist Trophy, Isaac is the most stand-out choice. Protagonist of an award-winning RPG series and he has fan demand.

Ray 01 (Custom Robo)- While he may not have as much fan demand, and his games may not win many awards, his series has a cult following and he was an Assist Trophy in Brawl. With nearly limitless moveset potential, Ray 01 is a clear choice for a second party character.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You wouldn't buy the game because it only had 11 newcomers? Your logic is flawed.

And I don't even like Tingle that much. But he is still the most likely Zelda character.

Isidro25

Smash Cadet
SkylerOcon: Um....I think that's too dry of a list for a real SSB4. And some of the predictions do not seem to stand in solid foot. Just 11 newcomers?! Melee had 13, Brawl had 15. To think SSB4 will go backwards is not something I agree with.

Tingle? The reasons provided for his possible inclusion are in no way determinant. And I don't have anything against him. I'm not aTingle hater. But just because he is an assist trophy and had 2 spinoff games (one of which was a bonus only available in Japan's Club Nintendo) doesn't mean that he's going to make it. I think it's more likely that the Zelda series won't have a newcomer in SSB4. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they were to de-clone Ganondorf and Toon Link, thus giving us 2 new movesets . I don't know if that will happen, but again. I firmly believe that there won't be another Zelda newcomer in SSB4.
Not that I would mind another, but that's what I think.

I also think it's very likely Wario will get another rep. Warioware has been selling like hotcakes, and the series is decently popular among both casuals and hardcores.

With Sakurai praising the creation of new character-driven series and Pikmin being a successful new series, I don't see how Olimar's inclusion is WTF-esque at all.

I'm sorry if I have been a bit of an ***, but that's some of my gripes with this list.

Caedes

Smash Cadet
I'd buy the game just for the chance to beat up Tingle.

Since you guys apparently know what you're talking about the fact that Waluigi, Geno and another Sonic character are apparently unlikely to make it in makes me sad. Ridley and Megaman being likely is nice, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom