• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
12 centimeter high-density optical disc... it's basically the Wii optical disc with improved storage space in the vein of sony's Blu-Ray disc. imagine a dual layered disc? are there dual layered blu-ray discs?
That's what I had in mind. Yes, Blu-ray can be dual layered. But my point is that SSB4 can't simply be the same game on 3DS and WiiU, cuts have to be done on either of sides (WiiU or 3DS). It's up to Nintendo to hide those cuts the best they can.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Because a cartridge is not as huge as a Bluray disc.
That's irrelevant. It's painfully obvious that the content on a 3DS version would be scaled down power wise which means less details which means less memory is used.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
That's irrelevant. It's painfully obvious that the content on a 3DS version would be scaled down power wise which means less details which means less memory is used.
Yes, obviously. But if Nintendo decides to fill SSB4 with random content like they did in Brawl and Melee, I wouldn't say they'd fit it onto a 3DS cartridge without actual content cuts.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
Yes, obviously. But if Nintendo decides to fill SSB4 with random content like they did in Brawl and Melee, I wouldn't say they'd fit it onto a 3DS cartridge without actual content cuts.
No one enjoyed all of those random pointless features, so if Sakurai listened to us, they should not return.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
No one enjoyed all of those random pointless features, so if Sakurai listened to us, they should not return.
And if that happened, 3DS and WiiU versions could be pretty much the same.

But will it happen? I don't think so. Maybe in 3DS version.

edit: To be honest, I like my Smash game big. I like the useless crap they put in. Unlocking is fun. And if they removed the crap, I'm sure they would not add more gameplay related content instead.

Okay, I'm going offline now. I wonder how many pages will appear while I'm absent :)

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
if storage is an issue i can't imagine the 3ds having as much content as the wiiu version then, it'd probably be like SSF4 then to be honest

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to pop in and say

Sakurai is making it, I am disappointed and will not be buying it at launch, if at all.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
...Can't tell if serious.
Why wouldn't I be serious? Are you saying that you enjoyed the 5 second Masterpieces? The pointless Chronicle list? Tripping and the massive boring SSE?

Get rid of those and there should be plenty of space freed up.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Exactly. Sakurai doesn't care about characters unfortunately. He'd be perfectly happy chopping down the roster to make room for a terrible, unweildy, and confusing story mode as well as trivialities such as coin launcher, stickers, and masterpieces. One can only hope that he doesn't see fit to have a small roster on the WiiU for the sake of "fairness" or whatever other madness he can come up with. As far as physics, I would be perfectly happy if he copy pasta'd Brawl's and just added more characters, stages, etc. But that's just me.

:phone:

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Why wouldn't I be serious? Are you saying that you enjoyed the 5 second Masterpieces? The pointless Chronicle list? and the massive boring SSE?

Get rid of those and there should be plenty of space freed up.
Masterpieces were pointless indeed, Chronicle is few kilobytes of text anyway, SSE should be improved, but seeing all the characters cooperating in an actual adventure is a great idea. Yes, I said it. It could be improved, of course. But if I said I didn't enjoy SSE, I'd lie.

ALSO, pointless features should be limited a bit too. Coin launcher was crap, so were stickers. But not cut completely. Trophies and SSE should stay.

Okay, now I'm really going off.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Trolling be da bess around these parts. Over yonder in me neck of the woods we talk intellectually.

Side events weren't bad.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
There's an absurd amount of hate here for the guy clearly only being remembered for his odd choice of direction in Brawl when he did in fact direct all three Smash games.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Man I haven't been on these boards since around the Brawl release. Amazing how so much has changed and yet so much has stayed the same...

On topic though, I'm thoroughly excited to hear this announcement! Portable Smash Bros. has always been a big wish of mine and with the purported capabilities of the Wii U and 3DS it should be something to behold.

Also, MEGAMAN FTW.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Bring back fight the porygon team in the new one. It was fun as hell to smash them and that music they had fit perfectly for that. I just pray the online will improve. Makes rooms, host, and join. Sick of 2 min BB and TB when I want to play casually.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I don't dislike him.

People are really desperate for a comeback for him. This community fits this perfectly. "You can do a million good things, but people will always look at you for negatives, even it was one mistake"

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
When Sakurai stated that things like testing for balance are not a priority I basically lost all hope.

That said I will still probably follow this game closely for the next few years -.-

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
He doesn't need a comeback, Brawl was fine, Meteos is gdlk, Kid Icarus will be awesome. Sakurai is awesome, you're just salty you can't wombo combo anymore.

When Sakurai stated that things like testing for balance are not a priority I basically lost all hope.

That said I will still probably follow this game closely for the next few years -.-
LOL you read too much smashboards. I'm betting 10:1 he didn't playtest your precious Melee for balance either. That game is riddled with problems.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
Let me inform Webster and the Urban dictionary. Stating one's opinion makes one a troll now. Looks like we're all trolls then.

Most of you just joined the conversation. I've been in this thread for 2 weeks. I wasn't trolling then and I'm not trolling now. If you don't like my opinion then ignore my posts.

Masterpieces were pointless indeed, Chronicle is few kilobytes of text anyway, SSE should be improved, but seeing all the characters cooperating in an actual adventure is a great idea. Yes, I said it. It could be improved, of course. But if I said I didn't enjoy SSE, I'd lie.

Okay, now I'm really going off.

I didn't find the SSE to be the slightest bit enjoyable. If I wanted to play a poor-quality sidescroller I'd play a flashgame. It wasn't fluid nor interesting. The story was bland and heavily biased toward Sakurai's characters (ddd).

It was also tedious to travel 5ft and have to stop and kill 10-20 annoying avoiding enemies before you can progress. Or being stuck on an elevator for 5 minutes because the wheel monster decides to stay under the platform where you can't reach it. Certain areas allowed you to run away from battles if you wanted, but it is full of instances where you can't progress until you kill *insert ridiculous number* of enemies to proceed. Play on anything higher than normal mode and it gets even more ridiculous. They don't make 1980's style sidescrolling beatemup games now for a reason. To me, it leads to a boring and frustrating experience.

All of the cgi scenes also took up too much space. SSB is a multiplayer oriented series and it should remain that way. A massive single player mode just isn't necessary.

-

I don't hate Brawl or Sakurai. I hate many of the pointless features in Brawl, but it is a superior game to Melee.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I don't dislike him.

People are really desperate for a comeback for him. This community fits this perfectly. "You can do a million good things, but people will always look at you for negatives, even it was one mistake"
I don't dislike him either. His whole philosophy and stance is pretty stupid but all in all Brawl was a good game. However, I do loathe his disregard for having a large and worthy roster. I mean, we have all gotten used to it so it doesn't bother us anymore but R.O.B.?????? Really???? Come on. Shafting worthy characters to make room for useless features is unacceptable. I just hope he listens to the fans.

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
Wow, still 70 people here. I was going to post my roster guesses for each game, but it would just get lost in the pages.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
There's an absurd amount of hate here for the guy clearly only being remembered for his odd choice of direction in Brawl when he did in fact direct all three Smash games.
This. And Brawl wasn't even bad.
Let me inform Webster and the Urban dictionary. Stating one's opinion makes one a troll now. Looks like we're all trolls then.

Most of you just joined the conversation. I've been in this thread for 2 weeks. I wasn't trolling then and I'm not trolling now. If you don't like my opinion then ignore my posts.

I didn't find the SSE to be the slightest bit enjoyable. If I wanted to play a poor-quality sidescroller I'd play a flashgame. It wasn't fluid nor interesting. The story was bland and heavily biased toward Sakurai's characters (ddd).

It was also tedious to travel 5ft and have to stop and kill 10-20 annoying avoiding enemies before you can progress. Or being stuck on an elevator for 5 minutes because the wheel monster decides to stay under the platform where you can't reach it. Certain areas allowed you to run away from battles if you wanted, but it is full of instances where you can't progress until you kill *insert ridiculous number* of enemies to proceed. Play on anything higher than normal mode and it gets even more ridiculous. They don't make 1980's style sidescrolling beatemup games now for a reason. To me, it leads to a boring and frustrating experience.

All of the cgi scenes also took up too much space. SSB is a multiplayer oriented series and it should remain that way. A massive single player mode just isn't necessary.

-

I don't hate Brawl or Sakurai. I hate many of the pointless features in Brawl, but it is a superior game to Melee.
"I don't like content"
That's what I read.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
1992 - Kirby's Dream Land
1993 - Kirby's Adventure
1993 - Kirby's Pinball Land[citation needed]
1995 - Kirby's Block Ball[citation needed]
1996 - Kirby Super Star
1999 - Super Smash Bros.
2001 - Super Smash Bros. Melee
2002 - Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
2003 - Kirby Air Ride
2005 - Meteos
2005 - Kouchuu Ouja: MushiKing -- Greatest Champion e no Michi[5]
2008 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
2011 - Kid Icarus Uprising

Yeah man, Sakurai is ****ing terrible

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
1992 - Kirby's Dream Land
1993 - Kirby's Adventure
1993 - Kirby's Pinball Land[citation needed]
1995 - Kirby's Block Ball[citation needed]
1996 - Kirby Super Star
1999 - Super Smash Bros.
2001 - Super Smash Bros. Melee
2002 - Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
2003 - Kirby Air Ride
2005 - Meteos
2005 - Kouchuu Ouja: MushiKing -- Greatest Champion e no Michi[5]
2008 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
2011 - Kid Icarus Uprising

Yeah man, Sakurai is ****ing terrible
Well most of those are Kirby games so its debatable. I find them to be the blandest possible sidescrollers in existance, thus SSE being so bland. Kid Icarus looks good though, maybe he should stick to 3rd person adventures.

Weyard

Smash Apprentice
This. And Brawl wasn't even bad.

"I don't like content"
That's what I read.
I don't like "casual" content. The only content I need and want in a SSB title is:

-Adding of gameplay elements which benefit and enhance gameplay (lolnotripping)
-Adding of new characters
-Balancing of said characters to allow for fair multiplayer matches
-Balanced stages that benefit or enhance gameplay
-Online mode that actually works

Ok lets check through these.
-We have tripping. Doesn't add anything to gameplay. It's far too random. It is the major negative fault in Brawl.
-Brawl had a nice amount of characters.
-The roster is not balanced. Sakurai himself said that he doesn't focus on balancing.
-Over half of the stages are unsuitable for competitive play because of the randomness factor.
-Online mode doesn't work for most people. Too much lag.

SSB was a good mix of casual and competitive. Melee was mostly competitive. Brawl is mostly casual. The next game needs to lay off the casual aspect and refine the actual gameplay instead of filling the game with pointless features that distract from the gameplay.

I'm not a 5 year old. I was around when all of these games were released so I don't need a Chronicle to tell me the name and release date of all of Nintendo's old games. I don't need a sticker collection. I don't need 5 second demos of games that I played 10+ years ago. I don't need a boring single player mode. I play SSB for the multiplayer gameplay. I am a 21 year old gamer and I should be the target audience.

I read it as "I don't like content that is nothing more than a cheap one time experience. I want something that'll make me go back to it and is not dull and repetitive."
^ This.

The SSE is only good for one playthrough.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
"I don't like content"
That's what I read.
I read it as "I don't like content that is nothing more than a cheap one time experience. I want something that'll make me go back to it and is not dull and repetitive."

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
instead of calling it the Nintendo WiiU or wii2... i wanna call it Nintenduu.
i read that too.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
WTB Playable Golden Sun characters, PST.
If we don't get a playable Golden Sun character this time, I will have lost all hope.

However, this time I won't bank my whole opinion over the game on that. lol. I'll try not to anyway, I just couldn't get over how Isaac was an Assist Trophy. :(

I don't know what good it will do to discuss anything right now, though. We most likely won't see a shred of any information about this for a whole year, and we probably will see little then.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ok lets check through these.
-We have tripping. Doesn't add anything to gameplay. It's far too random. It is the major negative fault in Brawl.
-Brawl had a nice amount of characters.
-The roster is not balanced. Sakurai himself said that he doesn't focus on balancing.
-Over half of the stages are unsuitable for competitive play because of the randomness factor.
-Online mode doesn't work for most people. Too much lag.
-We also have a "pivot grab", gliding, crawling, and wall cling.
--
-Melee's roster is balanced?
-Over half the stages in Melee are legal in tournament?
-There's a Wifi mode on Wii that doesn't have incredible amounts of latency?

You're complaining about one admittedly poor mechanic out of several that were introduced, two issues to competitive play that were present in Melee as well, and something that isn't even anyone's fault except for whoever conceived the networking system for the Wii itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom