• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ask XIF About Peach Thread, because Cort is like 65 years old.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
Doc is pretty gay because I think dthrow to fair works on a large death % range, never tested what DI to use exactly

You should just hit and run, never try to beat an aerial when he's above you, abuse fair/bair and feel free to turnip approach even if he has a cape, it's not completely safe for him as long as you aren't predictable about it

Other than that don't get ***** and you're good to go

Laijin

Smash Hero
Is Peach better at the Jiggs match up than Sheik?
I can **** every Jiggs in FL with Sheik no problem, but as soon as play Hungrybox its like the match up changes and what used to work does not anymore. :[
So Peach better vs Jiggs than Sheik?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Hey XIF how would you fight a Doc with Peach i have some trouble during this fight.
*points down*

against doc, Bair > Dsmash.

it's all i do.
With a fullshield, doc isnt (read:shouldnt) get shieldstabbed by that, and all that really does is give him some incentive to run. But with the way doc is pretty much played now, that somehow works to some degree (Because docs now-a-day, just like a wide majority of people, dont like the concept of running).

Doc is pretty gay because I think dthrow to fair works on a large death % range, never tested what DI to use exactly

You should just hit and run, never try to beat an aerial when he's above you, abuse fair/bair and feel free to turnip approach even if he has a cape, it's not completely safe for him as long as you aren't predictable about it

Other than that don't get ***** and you're good to go
First: Yeah dunks (throw -> f.air) works on peach. For the record, doc has one on every character in the game except samus. It's doc's trying to cheat you out at the wrong percent, you can shake and n.air. There's actually another way out, but im not even going to bother mentioning it.

Second: Hit and run only works against Docs that are going to run at you. In all actuality, if you come across a doc that's going to run from you (which makes more sense imo), you're only making the situation worse by running from him. Not saying you want to be the one to always go in, but if you run from him, you're just running out into his pill game, and that's when **** starts getting baited.

__

I could go on and on about how this matchup works, but im pretty sure it'll mostly fall on deaf ears beyond the stuff above (i've felt like that alot lately, that's not an insult or anything).

If somebody really cares to know more about it, pm me or something. Or hope somebody slaps this thread back up in my face.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
lol, I'm paying attention, xD. I also thank you DogySamich. I know how it feels to not even be recognized for things not said. Even when it's good advice...or just repeated, and not even given credit to. Especially when the post is right there. >_> Doc is a major problem for me...so any advice is welcome.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
INCOMING GREEN WALL OF TEXT

*looks up* Man I whined a lil too much and that came off wrong.

Its not really that i dont get "recognized for what i say" (i mean ****, im the first person to slap myself down), it's just that i've been helping some people with stuff lately and with somethings it kinda feels like ramming my head into a wall.

__

To kinda explain this and stay topic related, I was actually explaining to somebody the best way to go about beating Peach. I told them for defense, they outta move. Peach is slow and you want to exploit that fact. So rather than sit there and constantly block what she does, when the opprtunity comes, move away. And since she cant move fast herself, you do stuff to her that she has to beat by running (read: throw a ****ton of pills).

And then I get the question of "What happens if she throws a turnip and is coming in".... *rams head into wall* ****ING MOVE.

___

But yeah, that kinda segues into the main part of this matchup, imo. The fact that Peach cant really run. Like, if Doc spaces his stuff to where you're allowed to run, then yeah, you're allowed to run. But like, if he starts throwing pills or starts aiming behind you so you cant run, well then you cant run. That's one of peach's faults, her evasion blows.

So, on the defensive end, you want to set yourself up to where you dont have to run from stuff (or where it's an actual option instead of your only out that wont work). So that means you want to do alot of zoning (actively defending) and blocking (shielding and anything from shield). Doc has a hard time getting around zoning because his range is pretty fu**ing short. Best thing he's got is f.tilt.

If he starts throwing pills, the best thing you can do is flat out run from them, because that allows you to maintain (or adjust) spacing withing putting yourself in a set animation. However, we already said peach kinda blows at running, so sometimes that's hard to do. You're next best option is to actively defend (read: hit the **** things). If you go with this, you have to read what Doc's doing behind the pill as well. One nasty trick that will catch alot of Doc's is if he's coming in behind a pill, pull Toad. I mean seriously, Toad's spores have more range than Doc. The absolute last thing you want to do against pills is block them. Doc gets to wear away at your shield and not get punished for it (unless he's just at the wrong place at the wrong time).

One thing to note (really to try, Im not exactly sure if this works but i'd be shocked if it didnt) is talking about Doc jumping over you. If doc jumps over you with a d.air and you really want to stop him, i'm pretty sure up+b would beat out his d.air. . . . . I'd have to ask Mike G about that, that's something he'd know.

On the offensive end, you want to do your best to keep him from running from you, because again, you cant keep up with him. That means you have to do whatever you can in your power to corner him. Once you get him cornered, your main objective is to keep him cornered and then pick apart at him as you see fit (some peachs like to run in n.airs flying, some like to just kinda hang in the middle of the stage. Really comes down to your playstyle)

Doc should be looking to evade everything you do, jump and run from your turnips, flat out run if you move in, etc etc. If you happen to land a doc player who choses not to do this, then you're made; he's doing a majority of your work for you. All you have to do at this point is just not get grabbed.

What you really want to do is force doc into positions where he has to zone for defense, because his active defense is the worst. He can run fine, and his shield is ok for his size, but heaven forbid if he actually has to keep something out of his space. He's got very little leeway to **** up with. So if you can keep putting hits on his shield and wear it down, eventually he'll have to stop with that and go to zoning (provided you keep him pinned in a corner if he's running).

On your turnip game, one thing to keep in mind is that if you suspect doc will try to cape it, you dont have to specifically hold your turnip. One option you have is to throw the turnip from one level then enter at another (i.e., throw it from the ground and jump over it, throw it in the air and go higher, throw it in the air and run under, etc etc). If doc capes the turnip and you're not there, you're moving in while he's in a set animation, so you're closing distance while he's standing there not being able to do anything. (This is assuming he doenst Capedash)

A few random pointers

1) if you pull a stitch or bobomb and you have the lead, dont dismiss the option of throwing it away. Sure it sounds like a punk move, and sure you COULD get a big lead, you could also get it caped (or just caught). As a doc player, i have no problem taking a chance catching a stitchface, i dont see why anybody would, it's that good.

2) if you knock doc out far enough, most of the time all you have to do is grab the ledge and hold it. You dont have to trick him, you dont have to come up with some fancy ***-to-double-jump-peach-bomb-recovery bull****, "Just put your ****ing hands on the ****ing ledge." Doc's recovery is 2nd worst in the game.

3) In a situation where you can get dunked (d.throw -> f.air), looking to DI torwards a platform is a good option. (there's actually an in general best way to go, but i'll let you figure that out. I dont tell people that very often)

*thinks* that's all i got off the top of my head.
If you need anymore, you're gunna have to tell me what your problem is specifically. >.>

Cia

das kwl
Bair > Dsmash doesn't always have to sheild stab, the point is i've never seen doc punish it.

but the sheild stabbing is nice :D

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
heh, if you space it "too good", you'll wind up bumping doc out on the first hit or 2 of d.smash, in which case he can come over with a f.air.

Im not saying dont ever try it; cause you're right, it does work.

I honestly dunno where you'd space it to where he doesnt get bumped out. Logic tells me that you want to hit deep with the b.air, but dont quote me on that. >.>

*edit*

and, if he chooses to stay there and eat all of it, it's a great way to eat at his shield regardless (which is what you want to do)

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
couple of answers to some of these questions:

I use A to FC. Whether if it's out of shield, I generally just hold down, Y, roll my thumb down to A while letting go of the stick ever so briefly, and then tapping down again. It's really a double tap motion.

If i'm using it to approach, it's basically a quarter circle motion twice.

dash, down and Y, quarter circle forward for momentum, let go and press A, down for FF, and quarter circle forward immediately for dash again, and repeat.

To be honest, i'm trying to visualize myself playing, and it's really tough to see myself actually doing the motions. This is what I *think* I am doing... pretty sure... i'm not trying to be a jerk or anything when I say above all else I just do it @_@

as for the Doc matchup, I will say all you need to know in one word:

spacing.

bair and fair as far away as possible, or do bair to d smash (vanz is right, and while it's not everything, I use it alot too). Don't get greedy getting past the pills. They will screw you, you are not better than pills!!!

Other than that, gimp his recovery. I think I talked about it before, but hit him out of his lag from tornado, or dair to nair as he up B's, or hang from the ledge and drop off bair. Careful about stage spikes.

And as dogy said, sometimes the best option is to just park yourself on the ledge and stay there. Not a bad play it safe option either if you really don't know if he can make it back or not. Letting Doc back on the stage isn't dangerous like letting fox back on.

and don't get grabbed.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
2 questions:
dsmash for ledgeguarding: is the spacing any different if you're doing it on floaties instead of spacies?
and also I can't float cancel. I hold down, jump, do a nair, and before it's over, I let go of X. I still get normal lag. What am I doing wrong?
lol another question:
what's your opinion on Second Jump Canceling (Not DJC)
by SJC, I'm talking about jumping, and then using the small dip on the second jump to land. So far, I just use it as a taunt, but I'm sure there's something beyond it.

milkieee

Smash Journeyman

Cia

das kwl
^ Bair > Dsmash

hahaha, i have the most annoying playstyle ever.

* Cool thing you can do to Link + YL. just rain on their sheild with nairs. it's not like they can sheild grab you

:laugh:

GA Peach

Smash Lord
2 questions:
dsmash for ledgeguarding: is the spacing any different if you're doing it on floaties instead of spacies?
and also I can't float cancel. I hold down, jump, do a nair, and before it's over, I let go of X. I still get normal lag. What am I doing wrong?
lol another question:
what's your opinion on Second Jump Canceling (Not DJC)
by SJC, I'm talking about jumping, and then using the small dip on the second jump to land. So far, I just use it as a taunt, but I'm sure there's something beyond it.
XIF on Marty's Account

You should always space out the d smash as far as possible so you can avoid trading hits. And also try to time it so that the first hit of the d smash hits them. If it does, then the invincibility they get from the tech doesn't last long enough and the last hit still hits them. I'm not even sure if they can tech it twice. It's too good.

That's how you float cancel, you're probably just mistaken and not bringing out the attack from the float cancel quickly enough. Make sure you are doing the aerial while you are floating, and then land. It doesnt work if you float, drop, and then do the aerial.

There's no real use for SJC, you can do it towards the opponent out of sheild and d smash out of it for some goofy mind game, but I never personally use it, and it's certainly not necessary.

Samochan

Smash Master
There's no real use for SJC, you can do it towards the opponent out of sheild and d smash out of it for some goofy mind game, but I never personally use it, and it's certainly not necessary.
It can be used to land on platforms with only landing lag (I think). If someone were able to double jump land onto platforms consistently, it might open new ways for her to combo and chase more effectively and quickly to platforms. But the timing is kinda precise and different on each platform, at worst it'll make peach jump above it and you'll lose your possible chase & punishment altogether. :/ I agree with you though, it is quite unneccesary to learn.

I've thought of double jump landing a toad from shield against falco however, lol.

JFox

Smash Hero
I can double jump cancel onto platforms 100% of the time, no matter what platform (even on FoD). Its not hard, just practice it.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
XIF on Marty's Account

LOL SJC... this isn't Street Fighter Xif.. ! >_<

JFox

Smash Hero
you really ever shffl either of those. Either double jump cancel or float cancel. Peach falls too slow to make use of her shffl'd bair or dair.

XIF

Smash Master
you really ever shffl either of those. Either double jump cancel or float cancel. Peach falls too slow to make use of her shffl'd bair or dair.
fix'd

as for Pikachu

stay the heck away. Pikachu is a glass canon. He can kill you really quickly, but is fairly easy to kill, plus he doesn't have the range to really force the kill. You need to be going to him in order to get those kills. Dair is a fairly safe approach, otherwise, space with bairs or spam turnips. Pikachu, and the other pokemon in general, are very hit and run oriented fights.

Quaz

Smash Master
I hate using dair and landing it because it does like no stun to the foe whatsoever. always get punished for it. I prefer bair much more.

plsu I've seen Cort VS Chu everytime Cort tries to dair to dsmash Chu just djs out of the dair before the dsmash can hit him and punishes.

I mean dont get me wrong its not like dair is a completely useless move, I just seem to suck at using it =(

Grunt

Smash Master
you can drop turnips off the ledge and grab the ledge for a nice edge guard. also try hopping backwards and dropping it if they run at you. also if you Dair someone try dropping it afterwards to get that extra hit in as you fall.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Mute City is the ideal counterpick against spacies, Falcon, Sheik, Pikachu, etc because due to the lack of ledges, their recoveries are easily stopped. You can also chainthrow the first 3 for a large portion of the stage, Peach floats above cars while most characters have to waste their precious shield or put themselves in a disadvantageous position, Peach can maneuver below the stage with her float, and in the event of getting meteored/shined off the main platform, she can stall for the stage to save her. Just a few off of the top of my head.

And a question for XiF. Do you parasol out of shield? I see Cort doing it to relieve shield pressure from Falco/Fox, but I've never actually seen a vid of you up B-ing oos. Is there a particular reason or have I just not been watching the right vids haha. Also, what do you do about a Ganon that spaces well? As of now, I've resorted to turnip camping, but there's probably something better right?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
as a space animal player that has played xif and mike g, they parasol out of shield to relieve shield pressure. xif does it sometimes and it's really annoying, but he doesn't do it very often because it's risky. like any good player, he mixes it up. from my experience, he prefers to fc nairs out of his shield. btw xif i'm never going to live down your invisible fc nair in teams that one tournament.

afaik you should watch xif vs chaddd. XIF has never really resorted to turnip camping. from what i've seen, what XIF does against well-spacing ganons is just edgeguard really well.
i'm not sure what he does to lead up to the edgeguarding part though. chaddd's spacing is absolutely bonkers, so it'd be some good stuff to watch.

they're on my youtube channel at /durhamred
or you could prob just search chaddd vs xif or chad vs xif.

XIF

Smash Master
as a space animal player that has played xif and mike g, they parasol out of shield to relieve shield pressure. xif does it sometimes and it's really annoying, but he doesn't do it very often because it's risky. like any good player, he mixes it up. from my experience, he prefers to fc nairs out of his shield. btw xif i'm never going to live down your invisible fc nair in teams that one tournament.

afaik you should watch xif vs chaddd. XIF has never really resorted to turnip camping. from what i've seen, what XIF does against well-spacing ganons is just edgeguard really well.
i'm not sure what he does to lead up to the edgeguarding part though. chaddd's spacing is absolutely bonkers, so it'd be some good stuff to watch.

they're on my youtube channel at /durhamred
or you could prob just search chaddd vs xif or chad vs xif.
I run and pull turnips until I land a hit, and THEN i put pressure on ganon. You can rush ganon down somewhat, but you need to lead with a turnip to do it.

edgeguarding is essential as well. It's like more than half the matchup right there.

And yeah, I dunno what I did in that teams tournament, I wish it had been recorded. The nair that never was rofl.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
down smash and fc move --> down smash

once you get them separated, just do moves on nana (the cpu) until she dies. fc nairs / bairs / fairs and whatever can combo nana pretty easily because she doesn't di and she doesn't tech. she also has preset jump patterns and doesn't wiggle out of any sort of tumble (she only jumps). so if you knock her off the stage and hit her with anything that puts her in tumble after her jump, she can't be saved by popo either.

fc aerials are nice because they kill her and they also let you respond to popo coming in to defend his b*tch. d-smash too because it can kill her, and it forces popo to do either a slow aerial approach (in which case you probably hit and ko nana) or wait it out (in which case you probably hit and ko nana).

the extra 20% from a grab combo by solo climber will be worth koing his cpu support.

Pritch

Smash Lord
XIF on Marty's Account
Negative.

It can be used to land on platforms with only landing lag (I think). If someone were able to double jump land onto platforms consistently, it might open new ways for her to combo and chase more effectively and quickly to platforms. But the timing is kinda precise and different on each platform, at worst it'll make peach jump above it and you'll lose your possible chase & punishment altogether. :/
This. SJC (or doublejump land - DJL - as I learned it) is actually really useful.

To be more specific, something that exarch and I have been doing for about a year now with good results is using it as a way to continue chainthrowing fastfallers on platform stages since it's slightly faster than wavelanding on the platform, and that difference is enough to allow you to get up there and tech chase them consistantly. You can literally chainthrow all the way up to the top platform of battlefield, for example. Getup attack beats this, but no one EVER getup attacks when they get launched up onto a platform because, well, it's terrible vs everything except this trick. Fox and falco can technically shine out of it (if they 're aware of this - most aren't), but if they start doing that you can mix up with uthrow uair, uthrow DJL dsmash, etc.

The free techchase is also obviously good vs non-spacies as well. For example, any grab under a platform can be leveraged into grab -> uthrow -> land-regrab into whatever you would have done from the grab normally with a few extra % tagged on. It's just best vs fastfallers since you can take fox/falco to battlefield to screw with their recovery and still be able to chainthrow them (which is ridiculous).

It's also fast enough for you to do stuff like chase people who get popped up onto a platform by a dashattack or the like. The thing that's especially cool though is that NO ONE expects any of this stuff, so you can get a lot of free **** off of people who just aren't expecting you to be able to follow them. I can't begin to count the number of WTF's I've gotten from fox players who I grab at the bottom of battlefield and chainthrow all the way to the top.

Incidentally, this thread is pretty cool. Glad to see some life in the peach boards.

Top Bottom