• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enemies of the Crown: King Dedede Matchup Thread (SERIN IS IN CHARGE NOW NOT GATES)

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
ddd's ledgecamp game is weak...i'm pretty sure falco can ftilt him off the edge or falling bair punch ddd

but falco is bad at beating ledgecamp, so idk
In general though, D3 really does not have alot to work with when hes just below the stage coming up to sweetspot the ledge. Thats the one place I heavily avoid when im on D3. Any one that is 1. smaller 2. has faster aerials, esp. a meteor can really **** us in this particular zone of the stage....I'd rather recover high [jumps not up+b] or just above platform.

If you want to really play it safe against a Falco at the ledge, walk away and Dee toss at him from on the platform. Or SH/Full Hop Dee Toss to throw your Dees at different heights.

Since most Falcos love to side+b back onto the platform either after touching the ledge or just to recover, predict these and punish. I like sitting my D3 just outside the range of his illusion so when he hits the platform w/ delay, he stops next to me and thus i can punish him.

Don't play many Falco's.

When I play one they are usually pretty bad or rusty so I beat them pretty easily.

You can tech his CG to spike just to show off but its not really necessary because DeDeDe comes back to the stage most of the time if he reacts fast.

To tech his CG to spike just SDI to the stage and tech.

Falco is probably the best character at camping, what they mostly do is SHL till you approach them and then they Phantasm away from you and continue camping, this strategy is really gay but you know the rules to counter a gay strategy you MUST use a gay strategy like planking.

Predict when Falco does the Phantasm and Utilt him out of it.

Watch out for SHDL to Boost Smash its a scary finisher.
Falco arguably is one of the better campers in the game next to ROB/Snake. Its kinda strange how we have trouble with Falco, yet ROB can really **** Falco and Snake in terms of camping. Then D3, does well against ROB and Snake. Its like some kind of weird 4 way love rectangle.

When it boils down to it, the Falco match up really becomes a test of patients/spacing for the D3 player. To which everyone here should be real masters of being the patient or waiting type. A good solid defense can beat out a camper if you got the patients, and great timing when it comes to punishing.

RATED

Smash Lord
In general though, D3 really does not have alot to work with when hes just below the stage coming up to sweetspot the ledge. Thats the one place I heavily avoid when im on D3. Any one that is 1. smaller 2. has faster aerials, esp. a meteor can really **** us in this particular zone of the stage....I'd rather recover high [jumps not up+b] or just above platform.

If you want to really play it safe against a Falco at the ledge, walk away and Dee toss at him from on the platform. Or SH/Full Hop Dee Toss to throw your Dees at different heights.

Since most Falcos love to side+b back onto the platform either after touching the ledge or just to recover, predict these and punish. I like sitting my D3 just outside the range of his illusion so when he hits the platform w/ delay, he stops next to me and thus i can punish him.

Falco arguably is one of the better campers in the game next to ROB/Snake. Its kinda strange how we have trouble with Falco, yet ROB can really **** Falco and Snake in terms of camping. Then D3, does well against ROB and Snake. Its like some kind of weird 4 way love rectangle.

When it boils down to it, the Falco match up really becomes a test of patients/spacing for the D3 player. To which everyone here should be real masters of being the patient or waiting type. A good solid defense can beat out a camper if you got the patients, and great timing when it comes to punishing.
the thing in bold, I do uptilt or jump or I do a waddle toss! once I predicted a phamtasm and I used waddle toss but I got a gordo and destroyed the illusion very epic!, now seriously, uptilt , bair, can anyone test if nair can do this?.

Edit: I need serious help against Olimar. if anyone could help me before saturday in a pm I will be very happy since I have a tournament this weekend and I don't play olimars often.

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
Olimar, Falco, & Pikachu are all un-winnable matches if the player plays it correctly. However, Since most people who play this game don't like to SUPER camp, those matches will still be winnable for a while.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Edit: I need serious help against Olimar. if anyone could help me before saturday in a pm I will be very happy since I have a tournament this weekend and I don't play olimars often.
Don't worry about it guys, I got it covered. But that doesn't mean you don't need to send him some info on the matchup versus Olimar either!

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I moved him ahead in the discussion. Unfortunately the formula I use for deciding who should be rediscussed when is:

(x^2)*p=T

...where x is the number of people who requested the matchup, p is the tournament placings of that character (according to Ankoku's list) and T is the total, which each character is then organized by.

tl;dr - The more people request a certain matchup, the sooner it will be rediscussed.

But as I was saying, because of this system, Olimar only moved up 1 spot. =/ I guess it's better than nothing, right?

However, Since most people who play this game don't like to SUPER camp (and those who do just play MK and plank), those matches will still be winnable for a while.
Fixed.

Excellence

Smash Champion
What does patients have to do with this match-up? If Falco has already chaingrabbed you, then you're pretty much safe from that and a **** load of damage ahead of him which isn't too bad as long as you can avoid SHDL into Gatling Combo, but you sill have to deal with lasers. Most Falcos I've played have given up on taking a risk and playing me like normal, they've all found it much easier to spam double laser than phantasm away when I ge near them. If you play patient with that you're going to end up losing a lot more quickly. I think this match-up boils down to how much your opponent is willing to spam and how long you're willing to deal with it.

Coney

Smash Master
For what it's worth, I'd like to discuss Peach again. I've played a few and honestly, there's no way that this matchup is 50-50.

RATED

Smash Lord
For what it's worth, I'd like to discuss Peach again. I've played a few and honestly, there's no way that this matchup is 50-50.
I know peach matchup a lot, and yeah is 50-50. I have played against a awesome peach from Puerto Rico and yeah the matchup seems hard but with practice on that matchup is not that hard I found that matchup really even.

Atomsk- btw congrats I am not from USA but I have heard that u have a awesome ddd, now pikachu I dont find that matchup imposible of course I havent played a pikachu like anther but I have played really good pikas , if ddd do to approach pikachu,ddd can do good against pika if ddd plays correctly. but right we ddds have to remember the CG that pikachu has on us.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Which character is on discussion right now btw?

Also
Tip for all non chain grabable characters : Use my trap fellas, I guarantee you, you won't be disappointed

@Atomsk - Blackwaltz Olimar is nuts, however in tourney, I almost beat him. Also I knocked out Pyronic Star at Cat4. The match up isn't impossible, you just have to play extremely smart. Once Oli is off the stage...he should be done.

@coney Isle - I know this match can be irritating at first however, it's extremely easy once you know how to play it. Let's face it, it's peach's down air, hovering, fair, and jabs that are dangerous. Now if peach is floating above Dedede and you shield her down air...IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU SHIELD THE LAST KICK, DROP YOUR SHIELD AND UP TILT. It will work all the time. Anticipate a jab or grab after her aerials and shield grab her. Kill her with up tilts accordingly, and space f tilts. If your in the air, get above her and dair. Bair her to hell when she's off the stage, and mix in falling inhales when she thinks your going to bair. (FACE AWAY FROM PEACH, JUMP AT HER, reverse arial rush nothing at her, just show her your back, and fall with a turn around inhale) Don't forget you can rack up 19% with up airs and can kill her off the top with them on occasion. Fair also hits above and behind you. I hope this helps :)

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
Buuman i've beaten both of them. I've even 3 stocked P~S. The problem is in the matches i listed, no one is playing them 100% correct. If a Olimar does play it correct I don't see DDD getting in on him unless the Olimar made a mistake. DDD vs Falco I also see as un winnable. The Pikachu one i'm willing to consider winnable.

The problem with the current metagame is that DDD is still considered top tier. I 100% believe he is high tier given his matchups, and his ability to lose to anyone that super camps him.

CO18

Smash Hero
I dont think theyre unwinnable even though theyre hard. I honestly think pikachu is his worst out of the 3 being mentioned though.
Olimar can super camp but dedede can still air camp and eventually get in close and once he finally lands a grab he can gimp/punish olimars recovery pretty easily and kills him early.

Falco is really hard but its still winnable due to the fact that he cant kill dedede and he eventually has to get in close to kill and since he has no range dedede can sort of just play safe and slowly come back. And he can sort of punish falcos recovery if playing smart. I had to play kismets falco at final round and he camped throughout the matches yet i was still able to pull off a win and hes prob a top 2 falco in EC, him and chillin although chillin hasnt played much but they both went to herb and placed the same.

I honestly think pikachu is the worst of the 3 mainly because I feel his recovery is harder to punish and he has better edgeguarding tools vs dedede by far then falco and olimar as well as being to kill decently and can air camp.

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
CO18 You never fought Chillin when he played perfectly. Both M2K and myself got 2 stock'd multiple times. Once again, if you manage to get in on Olimar, the Olimar player made a mistake :p. I don't really know a whole lot about the Pikachu match since I've only fought Anther when I had no clue what to do. I am just making assumptons given what the character can do camping wise, and recovery.

Excellence

Smash Champion
I dont think theyre unwinnable even though theyre hard. I honestly think pikachu is his worst out of the 3 being mentioned though.
Olimar can super camp but dedede can still air camp and eventually get in close and once he finally lands a grab he can gimp/punish olimars recovery pretty easily and kills him early.

Falco is really hard but its still winnable due to the fact that he cant kill dedede and he eventually has to get in close to kill and since he has no range dedede can sort of just play safe and slowly come back. And he can sort of punish falcos recovery if playing smart. I had to play kismets falco at final round and he camped throughout the matches yet i was still able to pull off a win and hes prob a top 2 falco in EC, him and chillin although chillin hasnt played much but they both went to herb and placed the same.

I honestly think pikachu is the worst of the 3 mainly because I feel his recovery is harder to punish and he has better edgeguarding tools vs dedede by far then falco and olimar as well as being to kill decently and can air camp.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there, CO18. Whenever I play King Dedede I literally: Side B, runaway, Pivot Grab, Side B, repeat. If all Olimar does is camp and runaway, King Dedede shouldn't be able to ever grab him and toss him off stage. Olimar's Pikmin out spam Waddle Dees and most of the time, when Olimar is hit with something like BAir it's because he's watching it too much instead of just running away from it. Dedede isn't very mobile no matter how you look at it, while Olimar is pretty **** good at running and not getting punished for it.

CO18

Smash Hero
Yeah I know ive never played him Im just basing it off what I know, Im not sure exactly what he couldve done camping wise differently compared to kismet even though I could be wrong.

If an olimar plays perfectly noone will probably beat him XD. Good thing there aren't any perfect olimar players/humans lol.

Is there any olimar that you can't beat at all? I havent seen you lose to any olimars or anything or at least recently.
Not making one mistake is pretty hard lol

@ Excellence thats what alot of olimars do vs ddd lol but there are stll ways around it. Im not denying its an annoying and hard matchup but its not unwinnable or anything lol

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
lol I wish I fought more Olimar players tbh. That way I'd learn the match up a lot better.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Olimar can be a very gay match however against blackwaltz and P~S I would air camp (CO18 knows where I'm coming from) with dairs, empty bairs, to falling inhales. INHALE OLIMAR....it's impossible to run up to him and inhale...however, air camp into inhales, spit him out (which props him into the air) and you're one step closer to racking up damage (read his air dodges) and edge guarding him.

*Up tilt kills olimar at 103% even if Oli has perfect DI and momentum cancels
*BUUMAN TRAP OLIMAR (HIS ROLL ****ING BLOWS...you should be able to tech chase him easily)

Falco - This match is quite gay. I've learned that taking him to lylat can help a bit. Stage tilts so sometimes he's forced to up B, the tilting negates his lasers (not just the ground but also the platforms and the degree that they are turned). You have to be perfect shield all the time, also try to get at least one waddle out in front of you to act as a lineman (football reference) then try to approach with perfect shielding and hopping dairs or Bairs ---> to falling inhales. Falco is harder to tech chase due to his loong roll but it's still feasible. Back throw will help you here...and every once and awhile up throwing helps

Yes I said it...UP THROW. Up throwing falco will get him off the ground (Up throw preferably on your percent...if you're in CGing percent..up throw him) MOST Falcos will see you jump after the up throw and will try to out prioritize whatever you got with there HIGH *** PRIORITY DAIR....if you can anticipate this punish theyre ***.

*Falco dies from an up tilt at 108% fresh...even if he momentum cancels and DIs
*Buuman trap the mother ****er
*Take falco to lylat is u can, tech chase, and if you can grab him out of his second jump....he's dead. When you grab him off the stage...don't throw him...just pummel pummel pummel...until he breaks out (and again this is only if you grabbed him out of his second jump) once he breaks out...HE CAN'T JUMP, NOR SIDE B because he is too far beneath the stage...his only option is to up B!!! Which all u have to do is edge hog...don't attack him..just time your edge hog...and he's dead all the time...if you grab falcos second jump...consider it the stock.

Pikachu - try to hurl a waddle to take on some of the thunder shock camping . F tilt him when u can to stay away from him in close combat. SMASH DI UP out of his down smash. Keep in mind he can B stick down Bs....it's deadly. And if and when you do land a grab..you make the decision whether you want to go for the tech chase or b throw for 16%

I wish I could help on the pikachu matchup..but no pikachus have fazed me yet. I'll let you guys know once I play Anther...or a really good pikachu. My apologies for the lack of experience in the pikachu matchup.

@atomsk - if only everyone played their chars perfectly...we wouldn't be able to beat ANY MKs, Olimars, Falcos, or Pikachus. M2K has reached the point of perfection I've realized...after playing him for over an hour....and getting ***** >,>

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
buuman- I feel ddd vs mk is 50/50 it's just no ddd player is at the level of m2k

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Yeah Gates I hate that west/east boloney.

I think I've said this before but when against Falco, don't pick any neutral stage without platforms! We all know why.
The only real kill moves normal Falco's will use are his up smash and forward smash, because his forward air is a lag machine and his back air is pretty easy to see coming.
Instead of meteor-cancelling his down air with puffs, do a quick UpB if you're especially at 80-90%, the jumps won't cancel it anymore I don't think.
If we get tripped by his reflector, don't do any tech-roll, and do the tech-attack thingy, considering Falco's will expect a tech-roll at that moment.
I remember it being a bad matchup for King Dedede except if you play on Battlefield or Yoshi's Island, then it'll be even I think. . .

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
What advice would you give to deal with MK players atomsk?
Okay first off, you want to stay on the ground a lot. The typical MK approach is sh fair. You easily can shield cancel grab it. Most of MKs approaches are unsafe vs DDD, EXPECIALLY TORNADO. Campier MKs will space tilts. Power shield these and punish them with B-throws. B-throw is extremly good in this match. Its generally good to keep b-throwing him until it starts to do 12%. At this point he should be around late 80s assuming you've hit him with other things lol. This is when you should start to try and either

A) D-throw mix up(will go into predicting these in a bit)
or
B) U-throw

U-throw is very good because a horrible position to be in this game is above someone. Sadly, using brawl+ tatics will work at 0% against most high/top tier characters the first few times you do it. Seibrik taught me this a while ago. At 0% its good to u-throw to u-air most of the top/high tier characters. You should be able to connect with some of another u-air if you do it right afterward. It also forces many characters to airdodge. If you watch in my match vs ADHD on Frigate, I get 2 kills off on him cause I U-throw him when he is at kill %.

When fighting aggresive MKs aka people like Dojo or DMBrandon, the matchup will generally revolve around being a tad more aggresive earlier on. A good approach to MKs or vs any character in general, is to run at them to sh bair. When they're near you and you feel unsafe you have 2 options besides rolling away, shielding, or sidestepping. You can u-tilt whenever you feel unsafe since it'll beat out most things, or you can full jump dair out of shield.

When fighting MKs that will camp you aka teh_spamerer, its much easier to force the MK players to approach you. Gain the % early on from a poke and simply walk away. MKs options aren't very good since mostly everything becomes predictable. Just wait for him to arieal or tilt, and power shield it and b-throw and run to the other side of the stage. Now I understand that this isn't the most entertaining thing to do, but its the most effective.

TORNADO

Tornado is seen as the major reason as to why MK wins vs DDD. However, once you learn to predict it, its a very easy move to punish. All of the moves I'm about to state will beat the tornado.

Suck from the top
You can pivot grab it
You can grab it when it first starts
All of your smashes will
Gordo will
F-tilt will cancel it when it first starts
Utilt will flat out beat it unless they space it
D-tilt will beat it
Fair from the top will
Dairing from the top onto the middle of it
Bair from the top will
JET HAMMER BEATS THE TORNADO
Nair from the top onto the middle will

However, even though all of those options will beat it, the safest one to do is to just angle your shield up as they tornado you and grab them once it's over. Your shield is amazing. Even when its a small circle it can stand up to the tornado.

EDIT Also shielding 2/3s of the tornado then side stepping the rest of it is great cause its a free punish

D-throw

When you d-throw people, it generally depends on what the skill level of your opponent is as to how you should react to it. Scrubs will either always roll the same direction or get up attack.(I CAN BE WRONG, THEY CAN CHOOSE TO HAVE A BRAIN) Smarter players will tend to mix it up(obviously lol) so here is what i do. I d-throw dash shield. I watch expect them to roll away or get up attack, however I assume that they'll roll behind me too. So anticipating the roll, and reacting to the other options is the best thing IMO. If they try to just lay on the ground you can either Fsmash, Dash attack, or D-tilt. IMO those are the best options and they're what I hit with.

The match up in general is mostly about knowledge of MK and how the character plays. Most MKs when they f-smash your shield when your close will d-smash right after. Just f-tilt him out of it. When they try to d-smash multiple times while next to you just f-tilt or d-tilt them out of it.

D-smash is also very good for killing MK in this match. Since its range is very good, it will hit people trying to space tilts or fairs.

Suck is awesome in this match too. When forced to land on the ground you don't really have many options. However the best ones to do are the obvious airdodge down, bair before you hit the ground, Suck, or Dair. Those are DDDs only real options while landing. HOWEVER, JET HAMMER ACTUALLY IS GOOD. Jet hammer has a low hit box that is actually a good way to knock people away while trying to land. MKs often time will charge F-smash expecting you to airdodge down into it. Fall Jet hammer is very good against that lol.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS ASK ME XD

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'm pretty sure that you get a guaranteed usmash if you shield the Shuttle Loop.

:059:

Buuman

Smash Ace
Atomsk, that was a great summary. This needs to be added to the front. Something I do that I've seen you do before...is when you shield the tornado, roll away, and most MKs pursue with the nado..however in the mean time..the roll spaces for Up tilts, because the nado isnt as fast as D3s roll.

Also, I'm 100% confident in saying if anyone knows this match up, it's atomsk. So do ask him anything about this match up, he plays M2K often, so fire away.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
U-smash sucks lol
It sucks just about, but I've found it very useful for a small mindgame when your opponent does a airdodge while falling back down to stage and you do up smash instead of up tilt. Up smash gets the perfect timing when you opponent air dodges before hitting the ground. So lagful attacks do have some use =).

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Atomsk, I love you.

Good read, and i agree with pretty much all of it, jet hammer is so scary to use though lol I'm gonna have to practice it :)

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
It sucks just about, but I've found it very useful for a small mindgame when your opponent does a airdodge while falling back down to stage and you do up smash instead of up tilt. Up smash gets the perfect timing when you opponent air dodges before hitting the ground. So lagful attacks do have some use =).
D-smash is better in that situation since it covers a larger area.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Ok, for those of you following the official discussion, I'm going to close rediscussion of Falco now.
DIDDY KONG REDISCUSSION GO!

...or, you know, whatever.

ADHD

Smash Hero
50:50, diddy camps the ****/combos the **** out of DDD, but DDD lives to 160+ every stock and his enormous black-hole whoring grab range stumps most of his average approaches. There's so much more but I'm too lazy to say stuff right now XD.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Yeah. I put this match-up as 50/50.
This is one of the rare match ups where Diddy has to keep the **** away from his opponent.
We can't approach you at all until we know for sure you've been hit by a banana, so this is actually the one match-up I'm scared to glide toss forward (actually, Marth too). From D3's perspective, you actually have to approach slowly and know what's going on. What I mean is you can't just run at Diddy because of bananas and if you grab with a banana behind Diddy, just d throw and pick the banana up, or you can just b throw.
I actually don't feel like typing right now, so I'll add to this later. xD

Top Bottom