• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser, Grab release thread [Flayl is a boss]

Flayl

Smash Hero
Here's an easy to refer to post when discussing the efficiency of chaingrabbing in matchups:

Cannot be chaingrabbed:
Ice Climbers

Can only be Air Released chaingrabbed:
Donkey Kong

Can be chaingrabbed both ways:
Bowser
Captain Falcon
Charizard
Diddy Kong
Falco
Ganondorf
Ike
King Dedede
Link
Lucas
Meta Knight
Pikachu
Sheik
Snake
Squirtle
Wario

Ground Release Chaingrab:

Standing chain grab:
Charizard
Ivysaur
Wario

Small step chaingrab:
Bowser
Falco
Fox
Ganondorf
Link
Lucario
Lucas
Mario
Meta Knight
Ness
Olimar
Popo/Nana
R.O.B.
Sheik
Toon Link
Wolf

Note: Some of the people that can be small step chaingrabbed can, if you're lucky, be standing chain grabbed. It's not reliable though.

"Easy" Dash chaingrab:
Diddy Kong
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Kirby
Luigi
Marth
Mr. G&W
Peach
Pikachu
Samus
Snake
Sonic
Squirtle
ZSSamus
Zelda

Note: The characters that you can hit with DownB can be walking chaingrabbed if they are slow to react. Easy is in quotations because it's still harder to chaingrab characters that would normally air release.

Hard Dash chaingrab:
Captain Falcon
Ike
Pit
Yoshi

Note: Consider DThrow or releasing into FTilt if you haven't mastered these. Yoshi can't be hit by FTilt.

Don't get grabbed:
Bowser
Falco
Ganondorf
Link
Lucas
Meta Knight
Pokémon Trainer
Sheik
Wario

Note: Anybody in this list should be considered an advantage by default unless they have proven to be capable of avoiding being grabbed (see Meta Knight)

B!squick

Smash Master
Thanks Flayl. Grab release regrabs are really the most important thing. If that doesn't work then naturally move on to Jab and Jab Cancels.

Luxuti

Smash Rookie
Is it true that if a character inputs up while being grab released from a pummel, it will output an air release?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Is it true that if a character inputs up while being grab released from a pummel, it will output an air release?
No, during a pummel a character will ALWAYS ground release. In the intervals in between a pummel, he will air release if he is holding up.

I think he will also air release while not being pummeled if he is mashing jump.

Luxuti

Smash Rookie
No, during a pummel a character will ALWAYS ground release. In the intervals in between a pummel, he will air release if he is holding up.

I think he will also air release while not being pummeled if he is mashing jump.
Thanks. :D

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
Ill continue to work and perfect it, I think there is more charachter that can be pivot CG but they are harder. Ill test with every character.

Flayl

Smash Hero
The artist formerly known as Spadefox put this CG in the tactical discussion (which ended up in a heated discussion and got locked) and people still don't know this? Bowser's pummel is too slow to force MK to ground release all the time.

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
I dont think its an infinite too, I consider it a way to deal more damage on my opponent and to refresh more my moves. My opponent can actually only do air release at any moment of the CG.

swordgard

Smash Hero
The best part about this new chaingrab is getting the opponent to the edge with a higher % so you can side b off the ledge with him and keep the cycle going.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Question about the vid. I noticed he did the pivot every other grab release. Is that how it's supposed to go, or can you pivot grab each time?

Either way, I'll test it out when I get home.

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
^ Corr <3

Anyway this thread is useful info. I love Bowser. I gotta learn all of these, I knew a few but not many.

B!squick

Smash Master
Right off the bat, Ice Climbers should probably be Ice Climber (no "s"). But that should probably be obvious anyway, lol.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Did I ever say it was a recent discovery?

I mentioned it because it was absent from the chart.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
you know it's not missing from the chart right

the "+" section marks jigglypuff and wario, and at the bottom of the chart the UAir thing is noted

Top Bottom