• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser, Grab release thread [Flayl is a boss]

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
Great job on this Vex, but a quick question, are all of these supposed to be inescapable? I've been using them but it seems that sometimes they get powershielded, am I just getting the timing wrong? Please clarify! ^_^

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Great job on this Vex, but a quick question, are all of these supposed to be inescapable? I've been using them but it seems that sometimes they get powershielded, am I just getting the timing wrong? Please clarify! ^_^
Very few things are wrong, I will admit, mostly some ftilts, however its most likely your timing if they only powershield sometimes, everything that will be listed after the update will be inescapable.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Attacks are not buffered out of a grab release, so it's a timing thing.

Often, you only have a window of a couple frames to initiate the attack, so you just need to practice.

Phantom287

Smash Rookie
To add on to what everyone else has said, for the timing issue, usually, I predetermine exactly what move I want to do with my grab release, and once I have hold of my opponent, I start bashing their head in and tilt the control stick in the direction of the attack I want to use being careful not to actually throw my opponent in that direction. Once they're released, and provided they didn't break out of my grab with an aerial release which would require some hasty recalculations, my controls are already in position to hit my opponent immediately after they're released. They'd need extremely fast reflexes or plain dumb luck to shield an attack coming out that quickly.

Of course, if you think they will shield, you could always try going for a regrab or a side B if you can do this for that particular character. Bowser has quite a few options for his grab release on a lot of characters, so be sure to switch it up when you can. It always pays to wrong foot your opponent.

As to when this will all be updated, I'm not in the know, but I'm pretty sure if it'll be updated, it'll be when winter break starts. That's just my guess.

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
It might be worth noting any character you can GRJab, you can jab cancel (lolobvious) and the opponent will probably try to shield, leaving them open for another grab or Side B.

When doing grab releases, I prefer to think on my feet ratherthan planning ahead.

For example, if they like to jab out of a GRJab, I'll jab once, shield, then shield grab them to repeat or UpBOOS.

But probably the most important part of grab releases are manipulating your opponent, and thats a great tactic all in itself.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Sorry guys for not updating yet, honestly I haven't done any new testing yet because I've been real busy, sorry. Promise to get a full update before the end of this month(Most likely mid January)

Riku00

Smash Ace
his downward grab is the best
its perfect for opening up multiple hits or using Neutral B right after

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Johns

Ugh, I'm so sorry guys, I've been really busy lately, I promise after Clash of Titans 4 I will start working on the update, again I'm sorry but I've been busy.

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
OK, I've been working on the grab releases for a few weeks now, and I have a question. What's the best way to ensure a ground release? Is it just a question of mashing the jab constantly, or is it more the case that one should watch the opponent's break habits and try to predict the break accordingly? I ask this because I can grab release the computer very consistently, having gotten used to the timing at which they break out (it's very consistent, and goes by hit percents) but against human opponents, who of course are less robotic in DI/button mashing, it's more difficult.

In short, what do you guys find is the best way to achieve a ground release?

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah, I know what you mean. I think the average Smasher isn't really paying a lot of attention to Bowser's tricky grab game, and that can lead to some nice mayhem. Even so, I find that it's occasionally difficult to force a ground release. If people mash consistently during the pummel, it's pretty easy, but if they get tricky and ease up a little, it throws me off.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
OK, I've been working on the grab releases for a few weeks now, and I have a question. What's the best way to ensure a ground release? Is it just a question of mashing the jab constantly, or is it more the case that one should watch the opponent's break habits and try to predict the break accordingly? I ask this because I can grab release the computer very consistently, having gotten used to the timing at which they break out (it's very consistent, and goes by hit percents) but against human opponents, who of course are less robotic in DI/button mashing, it's more difficult.

In short, what do you guys find is the best way to achieve a ground release?
Your best bet for ground release is just to keep on Pummeling the opponent. There is a very rare chance they may escape in the air between pummels, probably because Bowser pummels are slow.

Man, I really havent visited the Boozer Boards in like 6 months since I was with Pit all this time -_- but I'm glad this place is still doing well, while poor Pit isnt doing as well as he used to be :(
I'm still amazed on how much stuff Bowser can do to Wario, though Wario is hard to grab.

This could mean that Bowser > Dedede against Wario! :laugh:

B!squick

Smash Master
This could mean that Bowser > Dedede against Wario! :laugh:
Eh... Bowser doing well against Wario is almost totally dependent on getting a grab and even then it's not like you're guarrenteed a stock from it. Though I have seen a good Wario camp a DeDeDe like he was in training mode and the CPU is set to stop so, eh...

Top Bottom