• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Research Thread - OP has new stuff

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I didn't ignore it. It's on the first page.

To get a direct post, click the number on the top right of the post. By "reference thread" I meant a thread directly saying that moves do more damage/knockback/whatever in the middle of an opponent's attack. No offense to Veril, of course. I'd just like better proof. :x

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I didn't know there was a counter system in this game. >_> Do you have a thread or something for reference? That'd be great.
I tried looking for it, but I forgot the name of the thread. You'll have to believe me on this one, or test it out yourself. The thread was kind of old, so I forgot where it was. It was posted like 5 months ago.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195032&page=127 Go there and ctrl+f for "Kirby's f-smash is insanely good OMG I hate that move." *forgets how to lead into individual posts and the 2 ways he tried didn't work...*

There's a post by Veril saying rest deals more damage if it hits during our fsmash animation, a post by Asdioh saying that he's never heard of it, and I think it dies away after that. (Yea, my memory is THAT good.)

Why did CaliburChamp and Bunny ignore my uair research D:
Thanks for posting the info.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
I tried looking for it, but I forgot the name of the thread. You'll have to believe me on this one, or test it out yourself. The thread was kind of old, so I forgot where it was. It was posted like 5 months ago.
well i believe you but i might test it myself anyway to see exactly how big the difference in kill power is. thank you for the info though =)

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
well i believe you but i might test it myself anyway to see exactly how big the difference in kill power is. thank you for the info though =)
Well, Kirby's u-smash goes from killing Mario at around 101% to about 75%.

o.O

The mechanic is reliant on the person being hit holding down their charge button though. If they let go during the time they can SDI, the knock-back won't be increased. Info like this might break characters like Fox... I wouldn't doubt some of his KO percentages will drop to about 50% just from a well timed hyphen smash. Still, its opponent reliant and and Kirby doesn't exactly have the mobility to capitalize... I can check it if people want me to, but it would be a pain and it will take much longer to do.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
I'll be updating the post with all my uair->footstool %'s bunny, so you'll need to keep checking it. Also, while this is off-topic for this thread, I'll be going to Rome and then Israel at the end of a summer which will last 2 weeks. Can you update the matchup thread for me during that time?

*Post 1400!*

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I updated the character KO list Bunny. If you want, I can copy/paste the hammer info for you into my post so you don't have to. Also, should I go ahead and calculate in the opponent charging KO percentages?

@SNO: I'd be happy to add the calculations that you mentioned, but I don't understand how multiplying it by anything other than 100%+ is going to account for DI, seeing as it would give a lower percentage number for the KO. If I'm not mistaken, the character weights aren't any different in practice mode, but the moves are set to 100% strength, rather than the usual 100%+ (sorry, I don't remember the exact number) that a fully fresh move will have in Brawl mode. I'm not sure about it, though.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meaning, and I'm sorry if I am.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Actually, go ahead and update your post you made before. I have a better idea for the OP. It'll let you make changes whenever you have to, and I won't have to keep editing the OP over small stuff.

Edit: A'ight. :3 Now your posts are linked to the OP. When you need to make a change/update, just update your post.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I updated the character KO list Bunny. If you want, I can copy/paste the hammer info for you into my post so you don't have to. Also, should I go ahead and calculate in the opponent charging KO percentages?

@SNO: I'd be happy to add the calculations that you mentioned, but I don't understand how multiplying it by anything other than 100%+ is going to account for DI, seeing as it would give a lower percentage number for the KO. If I'm not mistaken, the character weights aren't any different in practice mode, but the moves are set to 100% strength, rather than the usual 100%+ (sorry, I don't remember the exact number) that a fully fresh move will have in Brawl mode. I'm not sure about it, though.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meaning, and I'm sorry if I am.
you need to use my formula. There is bonus knockback in vs mode compared to training.

sushi-F13ND

Smash Cadet
im surprised they hadn't made a thread with this info before..
really helpful though, thanks kawaii :)

but might i suggest adding a section with kill%'s at the side of the stage?
i hope thats not too much work..i feel bad for asking you to do work in the first place, i would really do it myself but im like n00b and idk if you guys would trust my data >__<

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Horizontal and Vertical Attack Ranges for All Attacks!

I was bored today and decide to test the horizontal ranges of all of Kirby's attacks, w/o hacks (I haz no sd cardz...).

From highest range to lowest:

S Tier
Final Cutter (Projectile)
Fsmash
Jab - 3rd (infinite) hit
Final Cutter (Blade)

A Tier
Bair
Fair

B Tier
Inhale (grab)
ftilt

C Tier
dtilt
Usmash
dsmash
Jab - 2nd hit
Grounded Hammer
Jab - 1st hit

D Tier
Grab
Utilt (grab and utilt are so close, I'm not sure I did it right) (hit behind Kirby)
Utilt (hit in front of Kirby)
Nair

Tiers are broken up when there is a noticeable gap in the ranges (fair has noticably longer range than inhale, so there's a tier division there...like that).

Inhale has surprisingly long reach (greater than ftilt O_O). I'm not sure about uair's or either stone's ranges, didn't test them. Aerial hammer isn't on the list, as I have no idea how to test the hitbox size of it (you kind of move forward...), but you travel slightly farther forward than the range of Kirby's fsmash. I think I covered all of Kirby's moves (except spitting and swallowing ranges...), let me know if I missed any.

Vertical Range (just 6 moves...):

Final Cutter (Blade, Grounded)
Final Cutter (Blade, Aerial)
Usmash
Upair
Up-angled Fsmash - Yes. Really.

Utilt
Final Cutter (Projectile)

(I made a stage designed to test the height range of these attacks, I'll redo everything later and make sure it's all right. Crossed out things might be wrong.)

Utilt has the 2nd worst vertical and 3rd worst horizontal range of all of kirby's attacks. O_o

Also, there are a lot of strange upsets, like the infinite part of jab being his 3rd longest-ranged attack (behind fsmash and FC projectile).

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Nice. I'll add it to the OPsies.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
this thread shud show kirbys exact grab box size/shape... throws are pretty important for kirby <.<
The grab range is ********. I don't think anyone has ever seen the actual grab range, but try going into training and grabbing from different distances and you'll see that as soon as you press "grab", the next time Kirby touches your opponent with his extending arm while in the animation, he grabs. If doesn't matter if Kirby touches them with less than a milimeter of his hand, he still grabs the opponent.

Now, dash grabs and pivot grabs are a different story...

A1lion835

Smash Champion
So, liek. I was messing around in training mode. I randomly did edgegrab->drop down->jump->airdodge->fastfall->regrab. I've been working on it for a bit, and I've managed to perform it so that he has almost no vulnerability time. I find he also regrabs the ledge if you substitute the airdodge with uair or bair. It's a semi-viable planking technique, and you can also use it to stall on the ledge if for some reason you're afraid to intercept a recovery.

You probably already know this, but no one's mentioned it, so can it hurt?

0^2

Smash Cadet
That f-smash is awesome, it's the reason I'm even as good as I am (which really isn't "that" good)

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
Hey guys, sorry to bump, but are there any "researchers" that would mind helping me with a little project? I got the idea since we're doing a Diddy Kong MU.

I'd like somebody to test exactly what moves can combo out of a banana trip, what ones can result from a glide toss, and what moves act as follow-ups (moves that can be avoided, but often hit regardless)

Thought it would be good for the MU.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Hey guys, sorry to bump, but are there any "researchers" that would mind helping me with a little project? I got the idea since we're doing a Diddy Kong MU.

I'd like somebody to test exactly what moves can combo out of a banana trip, what ones can result from a glide toss, and what moves act as follow-ups (moves that can be avoided, but often hit regardless)

Your best bet would be to run in and grab after Diddy trips. You COULD run past him if you expect him to roll backwards then fsmash him, or run and bair him... But I assure you, out of everything I've tried, a grab is the best idea.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Your best bet would be to run in and grab after Diddy trips. You COULD run past him if you expect him to roll backwards then fsmash him, or run and bair him... But I assure you, out of everything I've tried, a grab is the best idea.
Well, the grab was what gave me the idea, but if he trips on a glide toss, doesn't the momentum put us in a perfect place to land other moves?

Also, we may have a new recruit

:kirby: +1

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Our glidetoss is so bad, we literally look like we're standing still. :(

And who's this person? I shall ready my rotten eggs welcoming party for the new guy!

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord

And who's this person? I shall ready my rotten eggs welcoming party for the new guy!
Seriously? GAY

I was hoping for mad anti-diddy combos. :sad:

But it was some new guy in the Meet & greet who likes playing as Kirby. Gave him a few links, but he's not on now.

And speaking of eggs...

SkylerSilver

Smash Journeyman

Hmmmm....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWB_7cRXNs8

This COULD help.

Tiersie

Smash Ace

We do have a jump cancelled throw though, which is pretty easy to do, just initiate/be in a dash, then press jump and throw a the same time, we don't go too far, but we make a fair slide I'd say.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
What is this, I don't even...

HOW did you guys NOT find something like this before!?
Some of us have, it's just that in the heat of a match, it's impossible to set it up. Diddy's not just gonna stand there and let us jump over him with a banana in hand, if he trips and we try to set it up he's going to roll away and our banana will fall on the floor, and that's it for the Banana Lock... There's lots of characters with Banana Locks too, but they're all very impractical due to their start-up nature (we have to be in an advantageous position, and trip him then re-catch the banana before we land to start it up).

And Jump-Cancelled Item Tosses... Kirby still gets a super small boost, almost going nowhere. Diddy trips and falls backwards farther than the amount of distance we travel when we jump-cancel item toss. That's how sad it is for us.

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Some of us have, it's just that in the heat of a match, it's impossible to set it up. Diddy's not just gonna stand there and let us jump over him with a banana in hand, if he trips and we try to set it up he's going to roll away and our banana will fall on the floor, and that's it for the Banana Lock... There's lots of characters with Banana Locks too, but they're all very impractical due to their start-up nature (we have to be in an advantageous position, and trip him then re-catch the banana before we land to start it up).

And Jump-Cancelled Item Tosses... Kirby still gets a super small boost, almost going nowhere. Diddy trips and falls backwards farther than the amount of distance we travel when we jump-cancel item toss. That's how sad it is for us.
What about a DACUS? can we do that at least?

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Yes.

Sorry for stating that wrongly. But no Kirby does not have a dacus.
Actually, he does. All characters do. Its just whether or not its useful. Kirby's isn't.

What A.T. CAN Kirby do?
Not any, really. Most of his techs are universal (AKA doable by all characters) and he doesn't have very good versions of those. He is a very simple character in regard to ATs. t1mmy should have most everything you need to know about the character listed in his guide.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Same people that come up with the names of gimp, turtle, camp, plank, etc. XD

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
But doesn't DACUS mean "Dash-Attack-Canceled-Up-Smash"?
So was his name and the acronym just a coincidence or did he change it to match?
It was more or less the same as Seibrik's DASC, known both as Da Awesome Seibrik Combo and Dash-Attack Shield Cancel.

Top Bottom