• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash is NOT a Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
Read before you post.

I have been smashing a long time. I was there for true life, for the mlgs, for the OC Biweeklies.

I love smash. But that does NOT make it a "sport." Sports, in generally are explicitly different from video games. There is a big difference between Madden 2k9 and actual football. You cant call them both a sport when they are so obviously different.

As humans we often want to glorify our interests, because in essence, that glorifies and validates us even more. But it is unrealistic to say that a game where you are sweating and tackling, and being tackled, and generally physically involved is categorically the same as a game where you hang out in a room and hit buttons on a controller for hours at a time.

For those of you who like definitions:

Game is defined in Dictionary.Com as:

a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

Sport is defined as:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Athletic is defined as:

involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina.

We love melee/brawl. We want to make it seem important, to other people by categorizing it as a sport. Smash is not a sport. It is a game. A high stakes game. A game where you can win alot of money and spend alot of time practicing at to try to get better. A game many of us may take very seriously. But it is not a sport.

And I dont think we should feel the need to classify it as one.

Wuss

Smash Champion
Sport is just a term that society uses. It has no intrinsic meaning or value. Society is what places sports above activities even though in reality, some sports may be more like activities and some activities may be more like sports.

For instance, as difficult as golf is, I would say that professional starcraft might actually be more physically demanding. And yet, society claims that golf is a sport, while starcraft is not (unless you live in korea). It's all relative, we should just be happy that melee is as competitive as it is.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I hate sports, so actually, calling any sort of video game a sport isn't glorifying it, for me.

Though I do think it should be pointed out that just because you aren't doing full-fledged tackles doesn't mean it doesn't involve agility or anything. There's a reason I'll play video games with people who rarely play games, and then after a half an hour they'll ask me how I can stand playing for so long so frequently because their hands hurt now.

It's because it does take stamina, strength, and agility, it's just that it's solely in the hands.

Just sayin', if we're going to get technical about definitions...

Cook

Smash Master
I hate sports, so actually, calling any sort of video game a sport isn't glorifying it, for me.

Though I do think it should be pointed out that just because you aren't doing full-fledged tackles doesn't mean it doesn't involve agility or anything. There's a reason I'll play video games with people who rarely play games, and then after a half an hour they'll ask me how I can stand playing for so long so frequently because their hands hurt now.

It's because it does take stamina, strength, and agility, it's just that it's solely in the hands.

Just sayin', if we're going to get technical about definitions...
If your friends hands hurt after playing a 6 minute game then they need to, I dunno, maybe move their hands a couple times a day or something because that's pretty sad.

Stev

Smash Ace
Dexterity is skill or adroitness in using the hands or body; agility. According to your definition, since smash requires dexterity, smash is a sport. Use better logic than just stating definitions.

/thread

ThatShadyAsianKid

Smash Rookie
Smash IS a sport.

If you're fingers are in bad shape you can't play well. You'll do really badly if you do something like climbing mountains the day before a tourney. Thats because it PHYSICALLY strains your HANDS.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Ok, you obviously understand that people want to call Smash a sport for self validation and glorification, to fulfill that craving for importance that we as humans have...

So knowing that, why would you make a thread to take that away from them? All you're doing is hurting their pride. It's pointless other than to prove a point and to be "right," and you know it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The definition of "sport" has changed as of late. Chess has been officially considered a sport for years. Competitive videogaming is oftentimes referred to as e-Sports. The logical conclusion is that Smash, at the very least, would be considered an e-Sport. Bridge is considered a sport, for crying out loud! Lifesaving, orienteering, powerboating are considered sports!

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
A sport is something which requires skill or physicall prowess. Smash would fall under the "skill" banner. Look at the highlighted sports. Racing, hunting and fishing. Hardly sports for which you need extensive physical prowess. In racing, it's all about your ability to steer, tactics, etc. In hunting, it's about marksmanship and possibly being able to lift a gun. In fishing, it's about... I don't really know what fishing it all about, but it doesn't require that much physical strength/"prowess" unless you're fishing for giant sharks or mega octopi or something.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
My arms are puny. At 10, my arms were much punier, yet I still managed to pull fishes out of a lake. Unless they're fishing for some super-sized salmon or some other huge fish, fishing isn't exactly a sport for which one needs extreme physical prowess.

InfiniteGXT

Smash Journeyman
Dexterity is skill or adroitness in using the hands or body; agility. According to your definition, since smash requires dexterity, smash is a sport. Use better logic than just stating definitions.
You dont have to come in sounding like a jerk. Learn manners.

And of course there are going to be smart***es who come in trying to dance around the definitions to make it somehow still considered a sport when it is obviously not. It doesnt need to be classified as a sport for it to be important.

Ok, you obviously understand that people want to call Smash a sport for self validation and glorification, to fulfill that craving for importance that we as humans have...

So knowing that, why would you make a thread to take that away from them? All you're doing is hurting their pride. It's pointless other than to prove a point and to be "right," and you know it.
Haha. So I cant even say what I want without you making me sound like a bully or something. Im pretty sure they can handle it. Im not saying "smash isnt a sport and we are all losers." Im saying we shouldnt need it to be classified as a sport to validate ourselves.

The definition of "sport" has changed as of late. Chess has been officially considered a sport for years. Competitive videogaming is oftentimes referred to as e-Sports. The logical conclusion is that Smash, at the very least, would be considered an e-Sport. Bridge is considered a sport, for crying out loud! Lifesaving, orienteering, powerboating are considered sports!

1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
Chess is not considered a sport by most people. And those who consider it a sport are those who want to glorify it because they like it. Just like in this situation. But by that definition ANYTHING could be a sport. Thats extremely vague. Walking takes some amount of skill. Eating alot takes skill (and is considered a sport haha although I beg to differ). Even turning the lights on in the dark takes a bit of dexterity and mental ability.

Video games do not require physical prowess, and if you want to call pressing buttons physical prowess than you are a very silly person.

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman
Read before you post.

I have been smashing a long time. I was there for true life, for the mlgs, for the OC Biweeklies.

I love smash. But that does NOT make it a "sport." Sports, in generally are explicitly different from video games. There is a big difference between Madden 2k9 and actual football. You cant call them both a sport when they are so obviously different.

As humans we often want to glorify our interests, because in essence, that glorifies and validates us even more. But it is unrealistic to say that a game where you are sweating and tackling, and being tackled, and generally physically involved is categorically the same as a game where you hang out in a room and hit buttons on a controller for hours at a time.

For those of you who like definitions:

Game is defined in Dictionary.Com as:

a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

Sport is defined as:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Athletic is defined as:

involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina.

We love melee/brawl. We want to make it seem important, to other people by categorizing it as a sport. Smash is not a sport. It is a game. A high stakes game. A game where you can win alot of money and spend alot of time practicing at to try to get better. A game many of us may take very seriously. But it is not a sport.

And I dont think we should feel the need to classify it as one.
Brawl isn't a sport..... but melee is a sport. So your half right by saying that smash isn't a sport.

Skler

Smash Master
Hoggled!

Also explain bowling. I really want to hear somebody explain bowling as a sport.

I don't think smash OR bowling should be a sport. Golf gets a free ride because you have to hit a ball really hard. Bowling does not require strength, stamina or agility.

Edit: Professional chess requires stamina. Do research.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
My arms are puny. At 10, my arms were much punier, yet I still managed to pull fishes out of a lake. Unless they're fishing for some super-sized salmon or some other huge fish, fishing isn't exactly a sport for which one needs extreme physical prowess.
In competitive fishing, you're looking for HUUUUUUUUUEG fish. I mean, bass the size of small children, big ol' redtailed catfish (NC Smash get at me) the size of grown men, marlins, salmon... These are big, powerful fish, and most of them are stronger in the water than many humans are on land. Competitive fishing is one of the most arduous sports I can think of.

Still, you're right that Smash falls under sport. Especially if chess does.

I don't think smash OR bowling should be a sport. Golf gets a free ride because you have to hit a ball really hard. Bowling does not require strength, stamina or agility
Hitting golf balls hard is not demanding of strength or power in the slightest. Gravity and physics do most of the work. The difficulty is in controlling the swing such that you hit the ball straight without wrenching your shoulder in the process. Ultimately, it's not much different from bowling in that regard.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Hah, I wasn't trying to make you sound like a bully, but I just don't know why you made this thread when you're obviously well informed and intelligent on consequences of how it would make the people feel that you are targeting.

You basically said, "Most people want to call Smash a sport to feel good about themselves. Well get over it, IT'S NOT."

lol

Xelyst

-_-
Smash may not be technically considered a sport, but sometimes it does feel like one. Heh, some people do in fact end up sweating buckets wishing for Gatorade and AXE spray while under allot of pressure, heading for losers finals, fighting for their lives and hoping to go for the gold (whatever the gold may be in smash). Eventually they might end up in top 3, drowned in satisfaction, personal achievement, happy and super insanely tired ready to pass out from the fatigue of playing all day.

Some just love the game that much to hype it up. So I like those people because they want to acknowledge the game as something more important, since there is just one thing to define melee as and that is it's just "a game". I don't think smash is a sport, and I'm not going to argue and say Wii Fit should be one. I sure wish I could call melee, something I genuinely love to do day in and day out, something that has brought me to meet new people, to travel, to put my mind in a state of wanting to learn more, even to shape my way of thinking something sometimes, more than a hobby or a game.

+ I'm not good at sports but I love Gatorade

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I'd argue bowling when you have to bowl in a 64 man bracket, best 2/3, not including the 2 6 game qualifying blocks.

But I also agree its not a sport ^_^

It lacks agility and strength, but does require stamina if you are on that level.

Stev

Smash Ace
You dont have to come in sounding like a jerk. Learn manners.

And of course there are going to be smart***es who come in trying to dance around the definitions to make it somehow still considered a sport when it is obviously not. It doesnt need to be classified as a sport for it to be important.
How am I being a jerk? By telling you about the flaws in your logic? I wrote an entire 5 page essay in high school defining a sport. If you applied smash to it, it would NOT be considered a sport. I still don't think it is. I'm merely saying that start a thread about this out of nowhere, you should use better arguments, which is why you got half the responses you got so far.

MegaFEAR

Smash Apprentice
That post by hoggle....
Omg, i don't know who you are. But marry me
I'll have your babies

Zeborg

Smash Cadet
Chess is not considered a sport by most people.
Look at it this way. Everyone has their own definition of what a sport is. You may not think chess is a sport but the International Olympic Committee certainly does. How about letting everyone keep their own definition of "sport" and you can just abide by your definition?

Grandeza

Smash Master
I've had this thought for a while. i consider guitar hero a sport and will definitely back that one by saying any definition that includes pool as a sport HAS to include guitar hero. that takes stamina, dexterity and a lot of other skills. now smash idk. that might be a litlle bit of a stretch. One could argue that smash requires physical skill and stamina to an extent. idk I'm on the fence about smash being a sport. I could kind of see it both ways. i'll have to think this one over a bit =\

L__

Smash Master
Why does this even matter?

I've NEVER heard of Smash referred to as a sport. I don't even see why this is such a big deal

pockyD

Smash Legend
the only case i can imagine it matters is some kid trying to convince his football-crazed father that he has a worthwhile hobby

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
i'm pretty sure poker is considered a sport... smash involves attributes present in poker plus reflexes, timing, and a multitude of other things... thus, smash indeed can very well be considered a sport...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom