• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Matchup Rediscussion #14: Fox

xmisosoupx

Smash Cadet
This is definitely 50-50 if not 40-60. I jsut played Lightning93 in an OFFLINE friendly. I know im not perfect or anything, but from what ive observed as long as the fox player can perfect shield our slow moving projectiles/z-air, the fox has no trouble approaching or killing with that deadly upsmash

Although you might say keep in mid range, it is very difficult if you play a fox player that can perfect shield consistently (i.e. Lightning93).

Lightning93

Smash Champion
This is definitely 50-50 if not 40-60. I jsut played Lightning93 in an OFFLINE friendly. I know im not perfect or anything, but from what ive observed as long as the fox player can perfect shield our slow moving projectiles/z-air, the fox has no trouble approaching or killing with that deadly upsmash

Although you might say keep in mid range, it is very difficult if you play a fox player that can perfect shield consistently (i.e. Lightning93).
Very true, thanks for posting! Running shields help Fox a LOT in this MU. He doesn't even need reflector when dealing with projectiles, and Fox can just SHDL away if a bomb comes his way.

For stages, I would actually prefer to go BF. Makes it easier to juggle, and Fox has a lot of advantageous auto-canceled movement on this stage. It seems to be becoming a Fox's favorite stage imo, but I wouldn't really know which stages to choose against TL anyways...

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
^
As much as I understand miso's point, the MU isn't in Fox's favor. I'd say 50-50 at worst. Playing Dave's GaW makes me feel like it's 70-30 GaW, but I know it's almost even.

Lightning is just too fracking good.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Yeah, that was my point earlier - TL has no reliable way to keep Fox in mid range, and that's why he doesn't have an advantage in this matchup. I love powershielding in this game.

Heavy Metal KiLLeR

Smash Cadet
I think Fox has a nice and quick movimentation, and he has lasers, that MAY outcamp us, not harder, but a little bit. He can cut projectiles using shine, nair(?), or just running and shielding. We can't camp him..., and he's fast...I think a good fox will cause trouble when he is near of us.

Don't think we have the advantage. We can make combos on him, but that's not big deal, this is brawl, not melee xD
He can do nice things, and I think TL is easy to gimp using shine (ok, not a good point, just saying), when he is out zair range. He can do combos also, he is fox xD

Don't understimate him.
55-45 Fox.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Even 50-50

Fox frame data

Best Stage to Fight Fox on:

Worst Stage to Fight Fox on:

Also avoid:
Halberd

Summary:

This match up is pretty even.

First of all, Toon out camps Fox. A lot of it has already been said, Bombs beat reflector, Toon has three projectiles and so on, but when it comes down to the amount of damage being dealt out, Toon out camps easy. So this puts Fox into a position that he doesn't want to be in. He has to approach.
Toon wins the spam war.

Landing the kill move. Toon, yes he can combo Fox and yes Fox can die early because of his light weight, but Toon can still have trouble killing believe it or not. Why? Because Fox should easilly be able to bait and punish all of Toon's killing moves. Fox on the other hand is the combo king, to the point where he can combo into his U-smash. So Fox won't have any trouble killing at all.
Fox wins the landing the kill move war.

As far as the early kill goes, Toon's recovery is quite good. If Fox tries to gimp his recovery Toon has his projectiles to stop any approach from up high in the air. So there really isn't any problem here. If the Toon is recovering from further below however, he has a problem. His options become more limited because of the fact that only his boomerang can be angled diagonally upwards, so if Toon wants to use his Bombs or arrows, he will need to use them right after the double jump. So presuming that he has already used his double jump and is now under the ledge again, he can angle the Boomerang upwards/towards the edge, try to hit you with a quick aerial if you come out (if Fox baits the aerial, it will pretty much mean that Toon has to use Up-B to recover), airdodge an attempted gimp, Tether and Up-B which can both be gimped.

As for Fox, recovering from up high is absolutely no problem. Does anyone even want to debate this point? Recovering down low, Fox has his shine stalling, Illusioning, Rising Fair and Up-B. The Illusion can be used in many ways and when combined with shine stalling, it can be a very versatile recovery. That said, Toon can actually deal with all of these situations. What the Toon can try to do, is force you to use your Up-B to recover by setting up a quick wall of projectiles to take out the Illusion on to stage then edge hog the Illusion to the ledge. This is presuming that you already used the rising Fair.
So I would say, that recovering high, they are equal. Recovering low, they are also equal if not then slightly in Fox's favor.

As for the BCDG, although Fox can technically make it back on stage (this is presuming that you remember to turn around in the shine, that the shine doesn't make recovering even harder by boosting you even further off stage when you use it, that you use Rising Fair then Instantly Illusion, all of this relying on you reacting instantly and not being like, wtf then reacting too late which is what usually happens.) now where was I, even though you can technically make it back on stage, you are still extremely gimpable because you only have that one way to make it back which = predictable. So don't tell me that the BCDG doesn't have an extremely high chance of taking a stock.

Up close, Fox wins hands down. His close combat is a lot faster and better than TL's.

Medium distance, Toon wins. Because he outranges Fox.

Long distance. Fox has his lasers and reflector, Toon has a smash thrown Boomerang and slightly charged arrows. Fox wins simply because at long range, Bombs no longer become a problem which means Fox can reflect whatever he wants and he can easilly power shield/avoid everything else.

Another thing that helps Fox is the fact that he doesn't have to worry about Toon's Grab. So he can get in his face and put pressure on his shield. Also, Toon's keep saying that the Bomb is everything and while this is true, with the amount of pressure you'll be under, you might find it hard to even find the time to pull out a Bomb. I'm not saying you won't be able to period, but having a Fox in your face will make it harder then usual.

-Excellent summary by Fox is Openly Deceptive. (thanx Fox lol)

You should watch out for:
Down Air, Nair, Bair, Utilt Chains, Usmash, Fair, Lasers, Shine.

Good moves in this matchup:
Utilt, Bair, Nair, Zair, Bombs! <3, Usmash, Dsmash, BCDS, Arrows.

Top Bottom