• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong General Discussion Thread

RockCrock

Smash Champion
I think they are all up-hill battles. Sure, DK has great combo ability, but others characters have the same advantage plus more.

I don't like getting into match-up theories.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
going to a tournament in 2 weeks. DK is rusty as hell since I haven't played in like 2 months. I can't do simple combos.

wish me luck

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
CC Grab

F-tilt

I think we should use these more
i agree with the first
d-tilt is in general better than f-tilt, unless you need aerial cover in your range, since it's ~60% the time to use in comparison to f-tilt.

gl ripple!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I like F-tilt better, namely for the range and the fact it actually hits people in the air.

mallu000

Smash Cadet
I don`t usually post anything here since I`m just a beginner but I have to say that for some reason DK`s the funniest character to play. I main Doc and Jiggly but still I enjoy more playing with DK. Maybe it`s his grab game or b-air or just Giant Punch but he sure is a lot of fun.

Dashdance-taunt-dashdance etc. is crazy O_O

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
got 5th at the tournament I went to out of 32.

I'll have videos up soon.

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
is it just me or do most doc players feel that theyre naturally comfortable with DK? I mean his bair has basically the same usage as docs except you cant really $shot (you still can get bair gimps to an extent tho) Im feelin DKs nair (also pretty simillar to docs), and that insane uair hitbox. Dair feels exactly like falcons.

Im definitely gonna start working more on DK. I like The DK/marth MU better than doc/marth. I want to experiment in sheik, and peach fosho since those are my worst doc MUs

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i personally would prefer to use doc vs. sheik or peach.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
is it just me or do most doc players feel that theyre naturally comfortable with DK? I mean his bair has basically the same usage as docs except you cant really $shot (you still can get bair gimps to an extent tho) Im feelin DKs nair (also pretty simillar to docs), and that insane uair hitbox. Dair feels exactly like falcons.

Im definitely gonna start working more on DK. I like The DK/marth MU better than doc/marth. I want to experiment in sheik, and peach fosho since those are my worst doc MUs
sup .

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I don't think DK is similar to Doc at all.

Except they both get destroyed by Sheik, even though she doesn't have a chaingrab on them.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Man...what's going on with the DK threads?... and where did my thread go? lol. Did you guys decide to stop using it? I thought it had some valuable info in it. lol

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
Man...what's going on with the DK threads?... and where did my thread go? lol. Did you guys decide to stop using it? I thought it had some valuable info in it. lol
:D you got my message thing.

The boards are being all weird, dunno why.

So uh. About those new techniques. :bee:

LAX_

Smash Apprentice
lol @Sveet

same here though. i've picked up DK and i'm just learning all the basics with him before i test him in a tourney.
just wanted to let all you DK mains know which (hopefully) sparks some excitement since there is another DK main :).

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I used to play DK.

My friends started playing Falcon to counterpick me. It was not fun.
Fighting against falcon using dk is a very fun match. You just gotta know how to play it. I have fun in matches when i get good edgeguards and combos, and falcon is probably the most combo-able and easiest to edgeguard for dk....so its fun for me. =D

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i think dk vs cf is the most fun DK matchup. combos like crazy, but no blue thing to **** with you

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
So how do I combo Marth from a grab?

I know cargo upthrow uair is guaranteed pretty much at any percent. Good KOer on low ceiling stages.

But how do you rack up decent damage from a grab? There aren't enough videos of the DK-Marth match-up on YouTube to learn from.

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
you would probably have to go for a regrab, or go for a bair after that guaranteed uair since it has good priority. it doesnt seem like theres many more options. Im wondering about this too though.

otg

Smash Master
I know at certain %'s, cargo -> uthrow -> giant punch is legit, and I've seen a few DK's land cargo -> jump -> bthrow -> fair (who knows if that is legit, I've seen it work/gotten it to work a few too many times). It seems like your best bet would be to go for one or two uairs depending on there %, then landing and waiting to see how they react. Marth's don't like it when you are below them and he is in the air trying to land, so bait his reaction and punish him further. Maybe let him land and go for a regrab, or get underneath him and go for a upB.

I don't think you're going to see DK getting those uair juggles like vs. ffers... so don't expect too much.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yea I've been playing the uthrow > uair > bait game for a while. Uair combos Marth pretty well. But not from a grab, it seems. Like dair > uair > something else. Dair is impossible to land, though.

What about cargo > uthrow > nair / bair. Any combo potential in those at low percents? Or am I just clutching at straws?

otg

Smash Master
Yea I've been playing the uthrow > uair > bait game for a while. Uair combos Marth pretty well. But not from a grab, it seems. Like dair > uair > something else. Dair is impossible to land, though.

What about cargo > uthrow > nair / bair. Any combo potential in those at low percents? Or am I just clutching at straws?
You can probably get a cargo -> uthrow -> 1-3 bairs depending on %. 3 is being generous but its not impossible. As for landing Dair, I would never ever ever ever just throw it out there as an approach, but you can tech chase with it, and is good for tech chasing on platforms IMO.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Randomly awesome thing you can do to Jiggs (and Jiggs only). At pretty much any percent above 100, dthrow running SH punch. It legitimately combos and, I believe, is basically DI proof - although I'm not sure about down and away DI.

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I feel like you rely too much on shield grabs and crouch cancels. More the latter than the former.

There's nothing wrong with crouch canceling, I guess, but you really only seem to dtilt out of it which doesn't lead into anything.

Your movement game really seems to stop when you're actually fighting. Like you dash dance and stuff between stocks, but when it's actually going, more often than not, you're just standing there, which is bad because Marth is faster than you are.

Also lolol "iDK this matchup"

MaDWaK

Smash Journeyman
I feel like you rely too much on shield grabs and crouch cancels. More the latter than the former.

There's nothing wrong with crouch canceling, I guess, but you really only seem to dtilt out of it which doesn't lead into anything.

Your movement game really seems to stop when you're actually fighting. Like you dash dance and stuff between stocks, but when it's actually going, more often than not, you're just standing there, which is bad because Marth is faster than you are.

Also lolol "iDK this matchup"
I see. yeah I get super scared dash dancing in front of marth since there is a chance that he could randomly hit me out of it. yeah im gonna work on that though. as for the CCing, most of the time it feels like I cant do much except for a dtilt or possibly grab after the CC and get much damage. thanks for the cirts tho btw.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
The idea of dash dancing is to evade attacks. Punish him enough for whiffing and he'll think twice before attacking your dash dance.

If you can't punish out of crouch cancel effectively... don't crouch cancel. Simple.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lmao if that actually works I'm gonna cry
yeah, it works. dthrow punch combos until like 35% unless they expect it and di downward. idk why they'd expect it. at 100% the hitstun would prolly be enough to sh punch

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I was pretty happy when I found out DK actually has a throw game against Jiggs. Stuff like dthrow ->ftilt and dthrow -> dash attack (when you just need guaranteed damage), works. At mid percents (before SH punch works), dthrow -> SH dair combos and sets up for a tech chase. =)

Also, CC dsmash ***** Jiggs. Lol. Kills her at like 90% on FD.

Top Bottom