• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong General Discussion Thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

^Best setup ever. True story.

I had this idea for a little bit now, since MEXICAN kinda left and the "ask" thread kinda died because of it. Plus, with this one I'll be able to update the first post with important info as it becomes available to me/I learn it through experience. I'm not necessarily good with DK, but I am kinda good and I know a lot about DK regardless. That and no one else uses the DK boards.... there are like 7-8 threads, 4 of which are stickies....?
So we all know that DK isn't exactly a good character... but he has an amazing taunt and we all love the big gorilla for one reason or another, otherwise we wouldn't use him. Maybe it's his amazing sound effects? Maybe it's the fact that he is so classy that he wears his tie when he goes to work (i.e. ***** the **** out of people)? Or is it because you can't spell **** without ape? No matter the reason, we all love DK, so let's discuss him.

I intend to go through the Ask MEXICAN thread in its entirety at some point in time where I'm not completely swamped with homework and regular work and c/p important pieces into the first post. I might even ask Bum some stuff if I feel like it.

Here, I just think I'll put in some fun info that might be useful to someone about DK that some people may not know. I'll put more real info here later. :3

Up-air auto-cancels when you shorthop and fastfall it. There is no need to L-cancel it. For some reason, some DK players don't know this.... step it up DK mains. This bit of info actually helped me a lot when I was first learning the up-air combos vs. fast-fallers, since I was putting more effort and focus into doing something that I didn't need to do, when I should be paying attention to my opponent's DI and position and focusing on making decisions about what to do next in the combo.

Up-air has really weird/annoying hitstun properties. Whether or not it knocks the opponent over is affected by falling speed, weight, %, and how much move decay your up-air has, for some stupid reason. I've tried extensively to figure it out but I've never quite understood its properties. :(

Dreamland and FD (obviously) are the only neutral stages that you can't up-b someone who is on the platform above you on. :( Sux... it's a pretty useful technique since you can up-b and then grab the ledge next to you. Battlefield require ridiculous spacing though. XD

DK can ledgehop and do either a nair, u-air, bair, or fully charged Giant Punch and then regrab the ledge. Best thing ever, srsly. I've done it in teams while trying to edge-guard; one opponent was off-stage recovery and another was heading toward me to save his team mate. I ledge-hop Giant Punch him, killing him, and then regrab the ledge with some invincibility to edgehog the recovering opponent. If I can get it recorded one of these days.... ****.

DK can moonwalk... lol. I might put a vid up of little tricks like this sometime. Almost entirely pointless unless you feel like doing an off-stage bair (since it's the only way to gain backwards momentum... plus run -> jump -> reverse giant punch -> cancel charge w/ z/l/r is probably better XD). It's difficult to do though :(

Donkey Kong has the best taunt in the game. Actually, his taunt is seriously technically second best. Luigi's taunt is obviously the best because it has a hitbox, but DK's taunt is tied for quickest taunt. Completely useless information, but.... uh-roo?!

I'll update later with more stuff/match-up information/stage stuff. If anyone wants to talk about anything specific with DK, go ahead and do so. Anyone can ask questions and anyone can answer. ^_^

First, I'll give you a quick history about the colors of DK. Courtesy of otg.
Alright here is the 'Legend of Blue DKs (phonetically 'deeks') '. The DK's are a graceful and peaceful race. They all live under Blue DK's law for you see he is the strongest DKs. Why? His arms are stronger after years of underwater training, and as a result he can throw and monkey copter better than the rest of the DK's.

Red DK punches harder, Brown DK is just your average banana hunting chum, Green DK is stoner/sickly DK, and the strangest one of all is Black DK... the betrayer. You see, Betrayer DKs is the only one who can stand up to Blue DK's... but only when the other kongs align behind him. One day the two went head to head, but in the end Blue DK's BFDD (donkey punch/big floppy donkey ****) proved to be the mightiest. Since that day, Blue DK has continued his quest to find his bananas. So let it be known: Blue DK = Top tirez.
Monkey Copter ftw. I use Black DK and own everyone, though... I always choose Blue team if I ever use DK in teams :)

also, what does everyone think of a match-up discussion thread? Should we just do that here from time to time, and then I can update the first posts with the info, or should I make a new thread for it?
also I might remake the DK guide if I feel like it. some of the info is pretty dated IMO.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Go ahead and make the match up discussion thread, I would definitely contribute (I promise not to make it). I also think a new guide would be good. We should do it together it would be a fun joint project.

Dk is amazing.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
^that's basically Donkey Kong in a nutshell.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
oh my god Battefield is so stupid
the side platforms are JUST the right height... for DK's standing up-b to work on some characters and not others.

currently testing, but here's what I have so far

Characters who CAN get up-b'd when they're standing on the platform and DK is under them:
Fox
Marth
Jigglypuff
Ice Climbers
Donkey Kong
Link
Pikachu
Young Link
Roy
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness
Yoshi
Bowser
Mewtwo
Kirby
Pichu

so basically, Sheik, Falco, Peach, Falcon, Samus, Dr. Mario, Ganondorf, Luigi, Mario, and Zelda cannot be up-b'd while they're on the platform above DK on Battlefield.

god this game is so messed up sometimes.

Riddle

Smash Lord
IF you don't make the matchup thread or express interest in making the matchup thread soon I am going to make it myself.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
currently barred from using my computer
I'll make it whenever I can use it again and make the thread all pretty

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
how the **** can a character NOT get hit on a platform?

Other than the blatently obvious "smash is dumb like that."

(Im asking what properties avoid that)

Gea

Smash Master
I would assume their hurtbox is the property you're looking for, lol.

More seriously I would assume that characters whose feet tend to lack a hurtbox (like it doesn't extend slightly under them) are immune to this. Not only that but a few of those characters stand on their toes in their idle animation.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
How would one go about playing DK + Falcon in teams? Falcon can't really run in and attack an opponent when DK is nearby thanks to him being such a huge target...

Excellent coordination + ingenious usage of invincibility frames?
repost because i'm dumb and can't tell which thread is active...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I wrote this earlier but my iPod ****ed up and didn't post it, so whatever.

if you are seriously going to use a DK + Falcon team, then the DK should know basic team strategy with DK. stay out of his partner's way unless it's Peach or Jigglypuff or I guess Samus, use Bair a lot, use up-b a lot, sometimes get Giant Punch kills and get up-b gimps against spacies. DK should be staying alive and keeping stocks, and saving Falcon when necessary. Choose stages that are big and give Falcon room to work with and making it easier to avoid hitting his partner, while playing to DK's strength of being difficult to kill, at least in teams, with so much going on.
Falcon should be watching for DK getting gimped or ***** because of his ****ty recovery from chars like Falco, Fox, Marth, and basically any character with a meteor, and give him assistance when necessary.

Dogy: Hurtboxes and hitboxes were both kinda lazily made (see: Marth's hitboxes lol), so some characters have hurtboxes that go below their actual foot model and some don't.
Though, I am really confused as to why I can hit Fox with an up-b and not Falco when they are on the platform above me on Battlefield. What the ****???

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
bbut that thread's lame.... =)
j/k but seriously, it doesn't matter. what kind of discussion DOESN'T have questions?

Riddle

Smash Lord
bbut that thread's lame.... =)
j/k but seriously, it doesn't matter. what kind of discussion DOESN'T have questions?
This seems like it should be more of a 'Advancing the DK's metagame and the DK boards' thread and also a Social thread. This thread is more for things like the battlefield up-b thing and just general discussion about DK.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
the intent and scope of this thread is at my discretion, considering it's my thread. like you can do whatever, but DK is kind of like Doc. there aren't very many people who use him and even less who check the DK boards. it's a lot easier to keep things all in one or two topics, since it's not like there's just going to be an explosion of activity in here any time soon. it's also ridiculous, IMO, to have an "ask" thread with two players whom no one has ever heard of, when it would be just about as effective and get more discussion sparked if questions were asked here during the general discussion about DK.

IMO, anyway.

also uh-roo

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Doc has more rep then DK imo, I'm saying this mostly seen known players actually post in the Doc forum / use Doc.

DK is the least popular character in Smash. It's been that way since 64.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Almost all of those boards have more total views/threads lol.

DK is only beating Pichu (finally, wasn't that way before).

Also you must consider the Brawl forums as well. People just don't like Gorillas :(

Jbunk

Smash Rookie
theres nothing to talk about dk

MAJOR TALKING POINTZ
he sucks
he has no shield
he has no approach
he sucks
his uair is good
he smells

PNaleek

Smash Journeyman
Fail. ^
DK has very good high tiered match-ups (besides Marth and Falcon, IMO).
He has a good approach; properly spaced Bairs and Nairs can lead to grabs, which lead to combos, which lead to death.
You should try playing someone who's good with DK, it's not an easy match up.
Oh, and you smell. o_o

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Fail. ^
He has a good approach; properly spaced Bairs and Nairs can lead to grabs, which lead to combos, which lead to death.
Oh, and you smell. o_o
you think he has a good match up vs falco, sheik(?), peach, ICs and Jiggs (the high tiersbesides fox)) as opposed to falcon and marth?

how do you play DK?

otg

Smash Master
DK's high tier matchups aint so great. Marth and Falcon are IMO actually his better high/top tier matchups;

-vs. Fox its probably 35/65, a technical fox who doesn't mess up his tech and laser camps gives DK a **** hard time, plus stage CP's are much better overall for Foxy then DK. Oh and shinespikes.
-vs. Falco it's probbaly 30/70 or at best 35/65, Falco just completely shuts down DK's game. Lasers **** DK over because they turn him around to face Falco, and his ****ty shield gets ***** by Falco's shield pressure. Oh, and Falco's Dair spanks DK at pretty low %'s off stage.
-vs. Sheik is probably 30/70 or at best once again 35/65. Sheik's tech chase game vs. DK is pretty brutal, his combo game is also not very effective vs. her. Easy edgeguards, a projectile, superior speed and tech cahse game all spell bad news for DK.
-vs. Marth is potentially 40/60 or maybe even 45/55. DK's got range comparible to Marth, is pretty fast and can combo Marth legit (guaranteed cargo uthrow -> donkey punch at certain %'s, and cargo -> bthrow -> fair is legit). DK's a big target and gets ***** by Marth once Marth gets a legit hit in.

I'm lazzy and don't feel like going into anymore of these. All IMO... I wonder what the canadian matchup chart thinks about said matchups.

*goes to look

Edit:

Just looked, go figure most of my #'s were right for the most part. Although, Falcon is evidentally a 35/65... I'm not so sure about that one.

Pi

Smash Hero
lol today i charged up dk's punch and dash danced real quick and he was smokin!!

I think if dk had a fair better for approaches he would get repped more

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Win
He gets ***** by Falco and Sheik. Does decent on Fox on 1 stage, gets ***** on the rest. Marth is actually his best high tier matchup.
I don't understand where "very good" comes from if he has the disadvantage against all of them.
You must be turned around for Bairs, it's a decent approach.
Nair for approaching? It's horrendous. The hitbox/range and priority simply isn't good enough. I will say it's a good combo move, however, so is Fox's and Falco's SHFFL'd Fair lol.
Grabs do lead to combos, but they only lead to death if it's a fast faller on FD unfortunately.
Which good DKs have you played? I'm curious.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i did the best thing ever last night at a smashfest.
so i was facing this falcon, and he goes out to dair me. I ain't havin' none of that ****, so I meteor-cancel it immediately. Keep in mind, he was down-airing, so he was going forward (behind me) and downward. so, he was following me down.... he got hit by the strong hit of aerial-up b and died off the side and i recovered.

too good imo.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
My friend made a bet with me saying that Marth is DK's hardest matchup while I said it was Falco. He txted RockCrock for his opinion.

Apparently RockCrock thinks this is DK's hardest matchups in order: Sheik, Marth, Fox, Falco, Falcon. lolz..

Marth is DK's best top tier matchup -_-

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
what do you think about the order of difficulty of dk's matchups, then, rockcrock? :0

Top Bottom