• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scar talks Lean Melee [2012YotF]

tubes

Smash Ace
I think he's empty pivoting near the ledge so that it slides off but I'm curious to know just how he's making it slide off so consistently.

Lovage

Smash Hero
consistently? i had to try that like 25 times before i did it those 2 times

it's really really hard but i wanted to put it on youtube cuz i never seen it before

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
he did it twice, and the clips were separate, which makes it seem like there isnt much consistent about it

lovage if you can do that consistently, i apologize for doubting you and holy **** youre insane

edit: wow lovage himself beat me to it

Magus420

Smash Master
I don't think it's actually possible to do it consistently. It's not even about timing, but that it's simply not possible to do it out of any and all starting points near the edge before starting the dash.

Whether the possibility even exists for you falling off after pivoting on the last possible frame before running off the stage can be based on whether you happen to be in one particular spot where it is possible to do it, or like 1/2 a pixel closer where it is not and you'll either pivot and stay on the stage or simply run off if you were to try pivoting on the following frame.

Lovage

Smash Hero
I don't think it's actually possible to do it consistently. It's not even about timing, but that it's simply not possible to do it out of any and all starting points near the edge before starting the dash.

Whether the possibility even exists for you falling off after pivoting on the last possible frame before running off the stage can be based on whether you happen to be in one particular spot where it is possible to do it, or like 1/2 a pixel closer where it is not and you'll either pivot and stay on the stage or simply run off if you were to try pivoting on the following frame.
it would be interesting to know if some characters (or at least falcon) can pivot drop from any possible spacing. or, if not, if the spacing needed to pivot drop is reasonable enough to gauge by eye.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Thumbs, dont be insulted, I ****ing loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee watching you. I was just saying. Besides, friendlies are the appropriate time to do the ridiculous flashy ****, not in brackets where matches matter.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
why can't anyone recreate or try to emulate isai's smart style? falcon is all flash these days

i really don't understand. isai's game seems ungraspable. why don't falcons play slower, safer, more consistent?

is it how everyone plays the game today or it is us playing the character? i hope its the latter so one day falcon will become a better char again because hes been under fire lately

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
why can't anyone recreate or try to emulate isai's smart style? falcon is all flash these days

i really don't understand. isai's game seems ungraspable. why don't falcons play slower, safer, more consistent?

is it how everyone plays the game today or it is us playing the character? i hope its the latter so one day falcon will become a better char again because hes been under fire lately
have you seen how slow spacies played when Isai played?

the game's changed, that style is no longer viable because the general level of play is so much higher.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
yea everything sped up times 5000

isai was good in his time

but that style wouldnt cut it anymore

if he would have kept playing, he would have had to change his style a whole lot

you cant play slow, like scar says you have to keep moving always

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
it works when people mess up hahaha

rolling or wdOoS is like the best option now

sucks

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
question

i know cpus really arent good practice but their really all ive got because every melee player lives like almost an hour away

should i keep practicing on cpus? their really the only form of practice ive got for the time being

Reaver197

Smash Lord
0-death w/ slot **** in the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgU9gLFaSvc

eg smth -> uair uair nipple spike sending them into the side of the stage
I've gotten a death combo ending with slot ****. It was pretty lol. I would want to see Scar slot **** then knee someone out of the slot rapage, at the very least.

I always wondered if getting slot ***** changed whether you could still meteor cancel or not.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
question

i know cpus really arent good practice but their really all ive got because every melee player lives like almost an hour away

should i keep practicing on cpus? their really the only form of practice ive got for the time being
just practice hitting l-cancels vs. level 1 CPUs with max handicap and min damage ratio. Other stuff tends to be sorta counter-productive, though comboing level 1s can be ok practice so long as you don't get so used to doing stupid combo that you start trying them vs. people with DI.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
this is how I understand it works. dont take this for fact.
You hit R or L. 20 frames pass. during the next ? frames, if you hit a ledge during hit stun, you'll tech it.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
During the 20 frames after hitting L or R all the way in, if you are in a position where it is possible to tech (tumbling but not in hitlag and near a surface), you will do so.
After those 20 frames (aka a third of second) are finished, the next 40 frames (aka two thirds of a second) you will not be able to tech at all, and if you press L/R in all the way again during those 40 frames of being unable to tech, you won't be able to tech for another 60 frames (aka a full second) after that.
Also if you press L/R while in hitlag from someone's attack, you won't tech.
Someone correct this if any of it is wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
My understanding is similar to Spaceballs so I will start with what he wrote.

During the 20 frames after hitting L or R all the way in, if you are in a position where it is possible to tech (tumbling but not in hitlag and near a surface), you will do so. If you miss the tech, you will go 40 more frames (from the pressing of L or R or missing the tech, I am not sure) without being able to tech. This is "getting 40 framed". After those 40 frames are up, you are golden to tech again.

inb4mangusclearseverythingup

tubes

Smash Ace
During the 20 frames after hitting L or R all the way in, if you are in a position where it is possible to tech (tumbling but not in hitlag and near a surface), you will do so.
After those 20 frames (aka a third of second) are finished, the next 40 frames (aka two thirds of a second) you will not be able to tech at all, and if you press L/R in all the way again during those 40 frames of being unable to tech, you won't be able to tech for another 60 frames (aka a full second) after that.
Also if you press L/R while in hitlag from someone's attack, you won't tech.
Someone correct this if any of it is wrong, but I'm pretty sure.
seems about right. What happens if you press L before the 40 frames of no tech are up? does the timer start over? and would it be for 40 or 60 frames?

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
seems about right. What happens if you press L before the 40 frames of no tech are up? does the timer start over? and would it be for 40 or 60 frames?
That's the main part I don't feel confident about. I think that if you press L/R during the 40 frames of no tech, it resets the timer to 60 frames of no teching, and then if you press L/R any time during that, it resets it to 60 frames again, etc. etc. But I'm not at all sure if that's correct.

pockyD

Smash Legend
That's the main part I don't feel confident about. I think that if you press L/R during the 40 frames of no tech, it resets the timer to 60 frames of no teching, and then if you press L/R any time during that, it resets it to 60 frames again, etc. etc. But I'm not at all sure if that's correct.
i don't feel as if that's correct

also iirc, if you miss a tech with L, you aren't punished if you then use R (meaning if you hit L/R back to back, you could have a 40-frame tech window)

sounds pretty incredible but i've never been disciplined enough to try it out

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
There is a 20 frame window to tech. After this window you have 40 frames of "cool down" in which you cannot tech. I believe that if you hit L/R again during this 40 frames it starts over again at 2/3 a second or 40 frames.

This is the same for ledge techs and ground tech(stick). In combination with the correct Di these rules are also used to maximize your chances at instateching.

Just remember you cant Hit L/R or tech during hitstop. If you do, I think you have a 40 frame cool down as if you hit it twice. During hitstun I believe you can still tech.

If the move has alot of hitstop its harder to hit the button before hand and still tech. That 20 frames from when you press L/R will be eaten up by hitstop. Samus charge shot(full) has 18 frame(might be 16, I forgot), you can only press L/R within 2 frames before getting hit or you will not tech. Its easier to hit the buttons after the hitstop.

To help not miss techs while also trying to L cancel, lightly push the L/R. When teching you have to push it all the way down.

@pockyD-Were you serious in considering that? Like did you hear somewhere that L and R were different as far as having cool down where you cant tech. If so I mght try that out.

Magus420

Smash Master
What? You can most certainly tech during hitlag. Almost every one of my edgetechs are done during it by SDIing during hitlag. When you SDI tech you actually go into the walltech animation while they're still stopped in hitlag, though you don't advance in the tech animation until hitlag would normally end.

You just can't press L/R during hitlag to tech, so you press it right before you'd be getting hit. High hitlag attacks are actually much easier to tech if you SDI to do it since you have a huge window to do the SDI.

Top Bottom