• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF-Dex: Make Your Own Pokemon!

JOE!

Smash Hero
@ulti:

its being changed dummy, you fail to realize he said himself he takes it back, it is 10% chance now, just like normal fire attacks

and an Ant hasnt been done...

fire ants...

:bee:

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Magma Pool:

Oh look, I'm going to go for an SD Lucario sweep.
Oh my, I got burned, man, bad luck.
Oh my, looks like mysweep won't happen.
Oh well, turns out that my opponent had an extreme SDLucario problem, and I lost because of something more broken than stealth rock.

Or, alternatively.

Oh look, I switched in my Guts Ursaring/Heracross in and got burned.
Insta-sweep/Insta-hurt
If it burns of course. If not, then it's just doing meager residual damage when compared to SR or Spikes. And Toxic Spikes provides a more reliable status affliction. Like I said, it's not going to be 100% chance of burn. I didn't think about its impact on the metagame when I was making it, and as such I was willing to change it. Granted, if it shifts the metagame around then I guess I did something cool anyway. I admit an all-stall/special sweeper/guts sweeper/flash fire metagame isn't very fun, interesting, or un-centralized, but then again a Steel/Dragon metagame isn't too awesome either.

Although to note, not everyone will use Magma Pool. I don't know about you, but if my team is Burn-weak or Special-based then I'm probably going to put a Toxic Spiker on my team so I can **** over Blissey. And that's the new game of entry hazards for you. Magma Pool increases the usage of Toxic Spikes, which in turn keeps the usage of SR consistent because they can still fit it in their team now that they didn't want to use Magma Pool. That said, I'm not exactly sure how broken the move could end up being, despite its instant burn.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
High percentage: Over-powered
Lower percentage: People ***** about hax all day long

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
theyre people, theyll ***** about anything.
Wouldn't you want to minimize the amount of *****ing?

Waterfall flinching is much less "haxy" than Crocune freezing me with Ice Beam.

JOE!

Smash Hero
look at it this way:

when you switch in, you take crappy damage and have a 1/10 chance of being burned (toxic spikes poisons you...)

at least you werent nailed by fire blast, then burned on top of that.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
look at it this way:

when you switch in, you take crappy damage and have a 1/10 chance of being burned (toxic spikes poisons you...)

at least you werent nailed by fire blast, then burned on top of that.
Naming worse scenarios doesn't make this ability any better.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The thing is, think about the 1 turn thing.

Stealth Rock > Magma Pool > 1 Layer of T Spikes > 1 Layer of Spikes

The most hindering move in the game > Burn > Level 1 Poison > stupidly low switch in damage.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I would agree, though I would also say you can't really compare those four. Apples and oranges, Stealth Rock is a move and Magma Pool is an ability. Stealth Rock would be really crappy on a support Rampardos, Magma Pool would be pretty bad on Rotom-A, who has Will-o-Wisp and Levitate.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
@UltiMario's list: I'd honestly put level 1 Toxic Spikes > Magma Pool. 100% chance of status over 10% (or even 20% chance) makes it better, despite the fact that the latter has the chance to ruin physical attackers. The catch to using it isn't in a one-turn concept though, but in a full-game concept. What's going to be more effective in the long run? Instant poison or meager damage and a 1/10 chance of ruining a physical attacker (if the physical attacker is even what's switching in)? I'd take instant poison almost any day of the week.

I'd even tell you to consider making Magma Pool stackable(1). That would give you 12% guaranteed damage on the switch (unless you're Fire-type) and a 20% chance of burn. As JOE! said though, this isn't exactly optimal when you could just set up instant Toxic with those turns instead, and still get the ability to set up SR for entry damage across the board and Spikes to make the grounded Pokes cry even more. Plus there's the fact that you'd have to find a way to put a Magma Pool user on your team in the first place; and with it only being logically available to the defensively bad Fire-types, that wouldn't be an extremely easy thing to do (with the exception of Infernape, who still has to worry about Taunt and the weather-inducing Pokes when in the lead position).

I honestly just think that the majority of you are overrating the move's usefulness by staring completely at its positives as opposed to its negatives. It's not something that you can just easily throw on your team and say "Welp, this team just got more awesome" like you could with SR. It's a move that has to be measured with pros and cons, as a team, at least in most cases, could use SR or Toxic Spikes to more success.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Look, Level 1 Poison is the BEST thing in the game to have. EVERY OTHER STATUS I MUCH MORE CRIPPLING THAN LEVEL 1 POISON.

Burn is absolutely crippling. Level 1 Poison? I'd rather get hit with Level 1 Poison than Burn any day, with any Pokemon. Even 10% burn > Level 1 Poison.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
@Annoying: I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Oh, and by "defensively bad Fire-types", I meant more like the Fire typing is defensively bad...not that all the Pokemon getting this are frail as well as Fire-type. So yeah, Heatran would also get it. I just don't see Heatran being extremely good at finding time to put up both stacks while also not ruining its usefulness in other aspects.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
On another note, I was considering the idea of introducing Ability Tutors.

Create new abilities, and allow currently existing starters to gain access to abilities other than the usually undewhelming Torrent/Overgrow/Blaze trio.

Example:

Draconic - Pokemon deals more damage with Dragon-type moves (x1.5)

Requirements: Pokemon must learn a Dragon-type move, have a certain body-type, and not be a Dragon (Charizard, Gyarados would be two examples)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Levitate and Fire- / Flying-types aren't affected, right? So there's a crapload of Pokemon who don't mind Magma Pool. And then there's a ton of Pokemon who would actually like to be burned (Celebi / Blissey can't be Toxic'd, PoryZ can't get paralyzed, Guts abusers, etc). There are few Pokemon who would actually get hurt by this. However, the impact is pretty major.

In my opinion, reducing the percentage does NOT make the ability significantly weaker.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
On another note, I was considering the idea of introducing Ability Tutors.

Create new abilities, and allow currently existing starters to gain access to abilities other than the usually undewhelming Torrent/Overgrow/Blaze trio.

Example:

Draconic - Pokemon deals more damage with Dragon-type moves (x1.5)

Requirements: Pokemon must learn a Dragon-type move, have a certain body-type, and not be a Dragon (Charizard, Gyarados would be two examples)
The problem with this example is that Intimidate > This on Gyara, and the fact that, what, Charizard would get "Stab" Dragon Claw? Not worth it.

:/

Ability tutors would be stupid. Its like teaching a person thats been managing a resturaunt to build a spaceship.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Terywj said:
Banshou
Typing: Normal / Ghost
Ability: Levitate
HP: 60
Atk: 60
Def: 140
Sp Atk: 95
Sp Def: 143
Spd: 60
BST: 558

Weak to only one type (Dark), it can do pretty well at stopping sweepers in their tracks. Immunities to Normal, Fighting, Ghost, and Ground are helpful. Has access to Pain Split, Nasty Plot (along with a respectable base 95 Sp Atk stat), Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, etc.

Gets ruined by priority.

Resembles a thin banshee-esque creature.
Any comments?

-Terywj

JOE!

Smash Hero
The problem with this example is that Intimidate > This on Gyara, and the fact that, what, Charizard would get "Stab" Dragon Claw? Not worth it.

:/

Ability tutors would be stupid. Its like teaching a person thats been managing a resturaunt to build a spaceship.
you do realize it's not just for Dragon types, correct? That was the example. Who knows, wouldnt you like pokemon to learn STAB with moves it can learn, and possibly gain a new benifit besides that too?

also, how in earth is a 1/10 chance of burn ONLY WHEN YOUR POKE ENETERS THE FIELD worse than YOU WILL BE POISONED!

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It looks like your intentionally making an alternate to Registeel/Wall for UU play.

Clever Tery.

Joe, its only worse if theres two layers of Toxic Spikes. 100% Level 1 Poison is a grace compared to Hax Burn 4/5 times.

JOE!

Smash Hero
...4/5 =/= 1 out of 10 chance, you fail epically at probability, and it is only when a new pokemon comes into the field.

seriously, what is there not to get about that?

and for the umpteenth time: who gives a **** about the competitive scene with a theoretical move here, this is for sharing ideas/concepts, not making the next Garchomp or the like...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Magma Pool IS the next Garchomp, fool.

Also, lets do math, for fun.

4/5 X 1/10

4/50

4/50 times you'll ragequit your face off from your sweeper being crippled from Hax. Lucario has the advantage of not being SR or TS weak, no your anti-hazard sweeper has gone pffft.

JOE!

Smash Hero
...so, you're pissed over something that is a 1/12.5 chance of occuring?

0_0

(and where did this 4/5 come from and what does it mean anywho?)

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Look, Level 1 Poison is the BEST thing in the game to have. EVERY OTHER STATUS I MUCH MORE CRIPPLING THAN LEVEL 1 POISON.

Burn is absolutely crippling. Level 1 Poison? I'd rather get hit with Level 1 Poison than Burn any day, with any Pokemon. Even 10% burn > Level 1 Poison.
You obviously play the game with a different mindset than me then. The way I look at it, having status induced on your opponent (at least for the most part) is better than having no status inflicted at all. 100% chance of Poison or a 10-20% chance of Burn? I'd take the Poison, because I'd rather not sit there and wait for 5-10 turns for a status to kick in when I can get another status in 1.

Levitate and Fire- / Flying-types aren't affected, right? So there's a crapload of Pokemon who don't mind Magma Pool. And then there's a ton of Pokemon who would actually like to be burned (Celebi / Blissey can't be Toxic'd, PoryZ can't get paralyzed, Guts abusers, etc). There are few Pokemon who would actually get hurt by this. However, the impact is pretty major.

In my opinion, reducing the percentage does NOT make the ability significantly weaker.
I guess...we'll just have to agree to disagree then? :\ I think it does, because I think that with a 100% chance of inflicting burn it completely ruins otherwise perfectly viable team strategies. A 10-20% chance keeps them rather viable though, and will also keep people from using the move just because the chances of the burn kicking in are complete chance. I do agree that it would have a pretty big impact on the metagame, but I don't think anyone could predict just how big this impact would be and whether it would be for the better or the worse.

Also, I think a new Rapid Spin move would be pretty coolio. I'm sick of all them Ghost-types getting that there special treatment and ****. Possible typings would be Psychic, Electric, Ghost, or Ground. You know, that way it's still walled by something. I think Psychic would be good, as it still leaves a complete Rapid Spin wall while also possibly increasing the usage of a rather underrepresented type. Thoughts?

EDIT: @UltiMario: Use Heatran or Gengar for your sweeper then. Goodness. I know you're angry about your favorite little sweeper suddenly being hindered beyond repair, but **** happens. Get used to it. I'd also like to mention at this time, however, that this is basically meant to be a Next Gen thread. New superomfgawesome sweepers will appear, and you'll fall in love with them as well. If you really wanted a Pokemon to sweep with that doesn't mind entry hazards then purposely make something that can sweep that doesn't mind entry hazards. You can do that, remember?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Anyone can be pissed off by anything.

Tru fax
that is still no basis for you arguing that a move with a 1/12.5 chance of doing anything significant to your pokemon is suddenly OP and ruins the metagame...

Stealthrock is still better in that it does better damage

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Water-Type Rapid Spin

Tide Splash- 20 Power, Whatever amount of PP Rapid Spin Has.

Washes away stage hazards.

If possible to program, prevents Magma Pool from being set up during the match after its used.

Hmm....

Eh, only being blocked by Vappy really? Too broken maybe.....

JOE!

Smash Hero
Water-Type Rapid Spin

Tide Splash- 20 Power, Whatever amount of PP Rapid Spin Has.

Washes away stage hazards.

If possible to program, prevents Magma Pool from being set up during the match after its used.
does rapid spin do that to other traps, or defog?

if not, then not happening

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Eh, only being blocked by Water Absorb is broken enough.

Ground-Type would probably be the best alternate rapid spin type in terms of coverage and the like.

JOE!

Smash Hero
...does this mean all fire types being absorbed by (the thing ponyta has) is broken enough too?

back to starter ideas, so far we have a full grass starter...

an idea for a fire, and 2 waters in the works?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Well, Fire Blast doesn't get rid of entry hazards.

Now I'm in the process of making a Psychic type.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Squabblish

Squabblish, the water starter from the latest generation, looks similar to a nautilis. While its tentacles are shorter than a regular nautilis, they're a good deal thicker and more muscular than those of the real world, allowing them to crack open wild seafaring Pokemon such as Shellder with ease. They can harden the tentacles at will, giving them the ability to use moves like X-Scissor and Cross Poison. Battlfish is a pale pink color, and possesses a thick shell which gives it good defenses. Shinies are dark blue.

Height: 1' 2"
Weight: 20 lbs

Type: Water
Ability: Torrent
Breeding Groups: Ground, Water 3
Evolves: Bashquid, Level 16

Attack: 58
Defense: 75
Special Attack: 48
Special Defense: 69
Speed: 35
Total: 315

--: Tackle
--: Withdraw
8: Water Sport
10: Poison Jab
14: Bubblebeam
19: Clamp
25: Crabhammer
29: Tentacle Jab
34: X-Scissor
34: Cross Poison
42: Whirlpool
49: Hydro Pump

Bashquid

Bashquid is the second evolution of Squabblish, the water starter of the latest generation. Bashquid has retained Squabblish's shell, but thinner and covering their upper body while jutting with spikes. It has gained a squidlike body - not a giant squid, but a fairly long one you wouldn't want to meet in the water. Bashquid has eight shorter tentacles, which it uses to pin down its prey, and two longer ones which it uses to bash its prey into submission in a series of tentacle jabs. Bashquid is a grayish color, though its two longer tentacles are tipped with blue barbs. Shinies are deep blue with black barbs.

Height: 4' 5"
Weight: 184.3 lbs

Type: Water/Fighting
Evolves: Crashken, Level 32

HP: 68
Attack: 60
Defense: 102
Special Attack: 57
Special Defense: 88
Speed: 40
Total: 415

--: Withdraw
11: Bubblebeam
16: Poison Jab
20: Seismic Toss
24: Tentacle Jab (attacks 2 to 5 times with odds similar to Bullet Seed and the like, each hit dealing 20 with fighting type)
29: Vital Throw
35: Whirlpool
42: Hydro Pump

Crashken

The final evolution of the Squabblish family. Crashken is a massive krakenlike Pokemon. Crashken has a squidlike body covered in thick skin and toxic barbs, but it's rarely seen - usually, Crashken uses its tentacles to draw in prey, crush their skulls with an earthen beak and consume them. Crashkens are found in otherwise uninhabited waters, preying on ships to pass. Crashkens are very rare in groups due to often wanting to destroy each other, having violent tendencies.

HP: 73
Attack: 90
Defense: 112
Special Attack: 87
Special Defense: 98
Speed: 70
Total: 530

Height: 11' 9"
Weight: 703 lbs

Type: Water/Fighting
Evolves: N/A

--: Water Sport
32: Aqua Jet
38: Dragon Pulse
43: Hydro Pump
49: Bulk Up
56: Close Combat
63: Focus Blast
70: Power Whip

TM01 (Focus Punch)
TM02 (Dragon Claw)
TM03 (Water Pulse)
TM05 (Roar)
TM06 (Toxic)
TM08 (Bulk Up)
TM10 (Hidden Power)
TM12 (Taunt)
TM13 (Ice Beam)
TM15 (Hyper Beam) (Crashken)
TM17 (Protect)
TM18 (Rain Dance)
TM23 (Iron Tail)
TM24 (Thunderbolt)
TM25 (Thunder)
TM26 (Earthquake)
TM31 (Brick Break)
TM35 (Flamethrower)
TM37 (Sandstorm)
TM41 (Torment)
TM44 (Rest)
TM51 (Roost)
TM52 (Focus Blast)
TM54 (False Swipe)
TM55 (Brine)
TM58 (Endure)
TM59 (Dragon Pulse)
TM60 (Drain Punch)
TM65 (Shadow Claw)
TM66 (Payback)
TM68 (Giga Impact) (Crashken)
TM69 (Rock Polish)
TM71 (Stone Edge)
TM75 (Swords Dance)
TM76 (Stealth Rock)
TM77 (Psych Up)
TM82 (Sleep Talk)
TM84 (Poison Jab)
TM86 (Grass Knot)
TM87 (Swagger)
TM90 (Substitute)
TM91 (Flash Cannon)
HM01 (Cut)
HM03 (Surf)
HM04 (Strength)
HM06 (Rock Smash)
HM07 (Waterfall)
HM08 (Rock Climb)

Hydro Cannon (Move Tutor) (Crashken)

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Tamboo

Evolves into Samboo at Level 40
Type: Grass / Fighting
Ability: Inner Focus / Chlorophyll

Atk: 60
Def: 60
Sp Atk: 35
Sp Def: 40
Spd: 25
BST: 280

Class: Hard Stalk Pokemon
Height: 2'0''
Weight: 65 lbs.
Colors: predominantly jade green and tan
Pokedex Entries:
- It sits completely still in the middle of serene forests to channel the power of nature. Its body is extremely durable.
- Its stalks usually grow at a rate of 6 inches per day, though it can slow its own growth by remaining calm or becoming agitated.

Tamboo's Level Up Moves:

- Tackle
- Harden
5 Growth
5 Absorb
10 Focus Energy
14 Razor Leaf
19 Ingrain
22 Rapid Spin
25 Bulk Up
29 Revenge
31 Iron Defense
35 Reversal
40 Counter
45 Wood Hammer

Notable TM Moves:

Attract
Bulk Up
Bullet Seed
Brick Break
Endure
Facade
False Swipe
Fling
Frustration
Giga Drain
Grass Knot

Hidden Power
Natural Gift
Payback
Poison Jab
Protect
Rest
Return
Sleep Talk
Solarbeam
Stealth Rock
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Swords Dance
Taunt
Thief
Toxic

Notable HM Moves:

Cut
Strength
Rock Smash
Rock Climb

Notable Egg Moves (Plant Egg Group):

Block
Grasswhistle
Leaf Blade
Leech Seed
Wood Hammer

Samboo

Evolves from Tamboo at Level 40
Type: Grass / Fighting
Ability: Battle Armor / Chlorophyll

HP: 80
Atk: 105
Def: 110
Sp Atk: 70
Sp Def: 80
Spd: 50
BST: 495

Class: Samurai Pokemon
Height: 4'5''
Weight: 120 lbs.
Colors: predominantly jade green and tan
Pokedex Entries:
- As a result of its meditation as a Tamboo, its fighting skills have increased exponentially. It is able to cut things with swift and accurate strikes of its two sticks.
- Samboo procures its weapons of choice from the stalks growing from its back. Warriors in the olden days also used its sticks as weapons when they were discarded.

Samboo's Level Up Moves:

- Night Slash
- Slash
- Detect
- Tackle
- Harden
- Growth
- Absorb
10 Focus Energy
14 Razor Leaf
19 Agility
22 Rapid Spin
25 Bulk Up
29 Revenge
31 Swords Dance
35 Reversal
40 Counter
45 Leaf Blade
55 Superpower

Notable TM Moves:

Aerial Ace
Attract
Bulk Up
Bullet Seed
Brick Break
Drain Punch
Endure
Facade
False Swipe
Fling
Focus Punch
Frustration
Giga Drain
Giga Impact
Grass Knot
Hidden Power
Hyper Beam
Natural Gift
Payback
Poison Jab
Protect
Rest
Return
Sleep Talk
Solarbeam
Stealth Rock
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Swords Dance
Taunt
Thief
Toxic
X-Scissor

Notable HM Moves:

Cut
Strength
Rock Smash
Rock Climb

Notable Egg Moves (Plant Egg Group):

Block
Grasswhistle
Leaf Blade
Leech Seed
Wood Hammer

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Thats like, an RBY sized movepool man.

You need to go into better depth than that.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I mean, I could list list all the other random level-up moves and random TMs it would learn, if you want. I just thought those'd be the most interesting moves.

*adds HM01 Cut*

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Only putting interesting moves won't help if we actually bring this into a server or something.

Top Bottom