• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olinterview topic. :D [Interviewee: Hilt- ask questions!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smedwicks

Smash Cadet
I've got one more question for RichBrown, albeit a multi-part question.

How do you fit Pikmin Throw into your play in matches? Does this change when you fight a disadvantageous matchup? An advantageous matchup? What about when the opponent is being aggressive or campy? Or what about on the size of the stage?

BrianH

Smash Rookie
Larger stage = pikmin toss Small stages don't risk tossing as much. Pretty simple really.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
We're trying to get the interview done. Tomorrow night it maaaaaaay be up.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Interview with RichBrown.

---

Name? Rich Brown
Age? 20
Location? Los Angeles

1. What color Olimar do you use and why?
I picked negrolimar because he looks a lot different from the others and it looked really cool to me.

2. Thoughts and tips on the mk matchup?
It's a never ending battle. We will come up with something one week, they will counter it the next, then we have to find a way around that counter, etc. Just stay extremely mobile and know all your tornado punishment options (nair, footstool, shield, and even whistling the last hit). Don't be afraid to spam pikmin throw. Even though MK can tear through it, he still has to knock them off, which may create openings. And please, please, please utlize all your options. FFdair and whistle bouncing are 2 things I don't see too many olimars do. Just stay very alert, and minimize your mistakes, since MK is allowed far more mistakes than we are.

3. What Olis (if there are any) inspired you as a player?
When I first started out I watched videos of Mr X and Andy G. As I started playing I had a little rivalry with Skank and Awex, who both helped me out a lot along the way. Weruop taught me a lot of stuff too when I met him at Genesis. I learn a lot from all you guys actually, but those people in particular have really influenced me.

4. We know you're a mix, but can you explain in detail the heritage of your parents and grandparents?
Oh man, it's so complicated, I have virtually every mix of every nationality in me, it's ridiculous.

5. Which artists do you really like?
I'm really into Brad Mehldau. The man is an amazing pianist. Anything jazz/fusion is good too, although I like pretty much anything. Among some of my other favs are Chick Corea, Michel Camilo, McCoy Tyner... there's a lot

6. What you do for a living?
Right now I work a lot of random jobs, like reffing basketball games, teaching piano lessons, a lot of random stuff. I might be starting a real job soon though, depending on if my friend can hook me up with an interview at where he works >.<

7. Favorite movies?
Kill Bill is really cool, I was a fan of 300 too. But the one that takes the cake is Avatar, it was an artistic masterpiece.

[18:05] <Dan> I haven't seen that yet.
[18:06] <Dan> Everyone says it's awesome.
[18:06] <Richbrown> omg go see it the moment you're done with this interview lol

xD

8. How exactly is the interview going down? whats going to be asked? -Denti

[18:06] <Dan> LOL, jk dude
[18:06] <Richbrown> LOL
[18:06] <Richbrown> I was trying to think of an answer too XD

9. In your opinion, of course, what do you think is the biggest roadblock for Olimar at tournaments? This ties into my next question. What usually prevents you from winning said tournaments? A matchup? Inconsistency with Oli's recovery? Stage counterpicks? Certain players that simply have a better grasp of the game? Thanks.
Olimar is pretty much an all or nothing character. Either you're ****** your opponent, or they got inside your camp and are comboing the heck out of you. Unfortunately with Oli, just one mistake can be heavily capitalized on, and it's very hard to keep mistakes to a minimum throughout the entire duration of a tournament. What I think prevents me from winning is just every now and then I make a series of bad decisions. Most of my matches I know how to capitalize on my opponents mistakes and take 60ish% in a matter of seconds. But all it takes is one bad decision off stage, or one move that pops me up in the air and it gets hard sometimes to reestablish position. CPs don't help either, since Frigate, Japes, and RC aren't exactly Oli friendly. Also gotta give credit to so cal, there are some REALLY good players down here.

10. What pikmin would you personally dub really useful in certain MUs and such?
With the exception of the pikachu matchup (pikachu gets ***** by yellows) I haven't really found any particular colors to be more useful than others when it comes to matchups. I just like it when I have a lot of purples lol.

11. Why are you so sexy? -Kewl
I've been told my hair is pretty amazing, but other than that I'm not really sure why I'm so sexy, Kewl.

12. When and why did you first decide to play Oli?
Funny story about that: When I was deciding on a main I wanted a balanced character that leaned slightly towards the power side. I was actually debating between wolf and lucario. Then my friend was like "yo try olimar." I was infatuated by the ridiculous speed and power of his smashes. The people I played with at the time never knocked pikmin off, plus they didn't know how to DI, so I'd just latch a white or 2, hit them once, then Bthrow. [No] other character felt so natural. The moment I truly decided I was gonna main Oli though was when I was playing my friend's TL, and he tried to dair me. I just spammed Usmash repeatedly and the move kept clashing, and finally when his Dair ended I hit him with an upsmash. At that moment I knew I was an Oli main.

13. When did you first notice that you were recognized as an excellent player?
My recognition has come in spurts. My name first started going around when I randomly placed 5th at a 80ish person tournament in nov 08 after never really getting higher than 13th/17th or so. I got ranked in march 09, and won my first real tournament in may 09. Each phase has had its varying degree of recognition.

14. Why do you have piano keys as your avatar?
I've been playing piano since I was 9 and am currently majoring in music =).

15. Do you remember your first brawl tournament? If so, what stuck out in your mind?
My very first brawl tournament was actually in my hometown. The main thing I remember from that tournament was all of us hanging out outside and talking about random **** really late into the night, it was really fun (I got 4th out of 14 or so lol)

16. What would you consider to be a good day (weather, season, etc.)?
Just barely cool enough to where if you stand still you might be a little cold but as long as you keep moving you'll be warm. Slightly overcast, but the sun peaking through the clouds. Awww yeah.

17. Do you have a set doubles partner? If so, who?
AC. We actually just recently started teaming, we've only teamed twice, but we got 3rd both times, one of them being at Winter Game Fest (big San Diego Regional). He's amaaaaazing.

Who does he play?
Mainly MK, although he goes DDD sometimes. We haven't tried Snake-Olimar in tournament yet. I also kinda wanna try my MK with his whatever for CPs, my MK is ok lol

18. Do you prefer to drink out of large cups or small ones?
Wow you really felt the need to just ask a question didn't you

19. What is your favorite food/drink?
I'd have to go with the generic pizza/sprite combo.

20. What is your favorite stage (out of the standard starters/counterpicks)?
Pictochat!

21. What is your least favorite stage (out of the standard starters/counterpicks)?
Cruise. Japes sometimes, although I know how to play there. Frigate is fine if the stage flips and never flips back lol.

22. Favorite ledge option?
The classic Uair through the stage. I do a lot of wacky stuff off the ledge involving whistle bouncing lol.

23. Favorite and least favorite character to fight?
My favorite character to fight is ZSS. I'm not really good or bad at it, it's just a fun matchup to play. Olimar tricksies don't really work on zss and vice versa, so it really becomes a player to player thing. My least favorite is MK, ewwww

24. I [SkyPirateCoud] never hear anything about you having secondaries. Do you have any? If so, who and why?
I play MK and Snake, although I never really use them in serious matches. I'll occasionally bring them out if I have to play a matchup in the first round that I don't like.

25. Do you think you'll be one of the first olis to get a purple name?
I really don't know.

26. Do you think that olimar's gameplay still has some things to figure out about it? Is this all Olimar will ever be able to do?
There is so much more Oli is capable of. I don't think there's anything particularly ground breaking, but there are little nuances that can really make Oli even better than he is.

Even though Olimar's moves all look alike, I've realized we all play somewhat different. When I played Weruop at Genesis, there were so many things he did that I didn't do (like landing behind a shield and smashing). I introduced the concept of white-purple lineup after a KO. We all know little somethings here and there that others don't, and when we all learn to utilize everything we got, we might see Oli placing higher

27. Who do you think is the worst matchup for Olimar?
Luigi. God help us if someone got really, really good with Luigi.

28. Who is the best opponent you have ever fought? Did this person make you mad with their playstyle, or were you proud to win/lose to them?
The best person I've ever played is M2K. He's on a level far above anyone else. The best player I've ever played in tournament is Larry (DEHF). When Larry is playing his best, there isn't a player in the world that can beat him.

Their playstyles are frustrating, but they are really smart... they just know how to get around everything you do

29. Are you proud of how well you do? Can you do better?
I'm very happy with how far I've come. I still feel like the best is yet to come tho ;)

30. How do you fit Pikmin Throw into your play in matches? Does this change when you fight a disadvantageous matchup? An advantageous matchup? What about when the opponent is being aggressive or campy? Or what about on the size of the stage?
Pikmin throw varies from matchup to matchup. Against Toon Link I hardly do anything other than pikmin throw. Against Marth not so much. I sort of envision 5 layers of Oli's defense (spacies are exempt from this): Neutral, where neither opponent can really do anything to each other; pikmin throw, then smashes, then grabs, then tilts. Smashes/grabs are interchangeable. If the opponent is being aggressive, there really isn't time for pikmin. If anyone even thinks about outcamping me, I'll just spam that side B like crazy and throw out the occasional precautionary Fsmash/pivotgrab if they suddenly run in. As for size of the stage.... well I just love big stages.

[19:09] <Dan> There's 1 more I'm requiring you to answer
[19:09] <Dan> to end this interview...

31. What underwear do you wear Rich? -Draconoa44
LOOOL I knew it would be that one... I'm currently wearing camouflage underwear. My other pairs have spongebob, the monopoly guy, penguins, or random designs on them. Boxers btw, not tighty whities.

32. Any last words?
Be as innovative as you can with Olimar. He is an amazing character. Learn all your options, and stay cool if someone breaks through your scheme. Olimar is always capable of bringing it back, and is also capable of anihilating anyone in a matter of seconds.

---

Well, that concludes this interview. Hope you guys liked it. :D

Noa.

Smash Master
In terms of Oli metagame stuff, I agree with you a lot Rich. Espeically on how Oli is so momentum dependent and how mistakes really mess him up.

Kill Bill is one of my most favorite movies of all time. Rich is uber cool now.

And nice underwear. ;)

Smedwicks

Smash Cadet
I play the guitar.

And I play the Olimar.

And I can fist pump like a champ.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Aww, that cup question was serious. Real men drink from small cups and enjoy the flavor. ^_^
Thank you for your time, Rich.

Loved the TL story, BTW. XD

RichBrown

Smash Master
I originally was gonna vote for kovarish, but for this week I wanna see Logic.

Thank you for all the questions everyone, and thanks to Dan for conducting a nice interview =)

Denti

Smash Master
my question was the smartest question :D *takes pride!*

I wana see Dabuz interviewed personally. I know AiB is still wifi but always getting in the top 5 on ladder means something impressive.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
11. Why are you so sexy? -Kewl
I've been told my hair is pretty amazing, but other than that I'm not really sure why I'm so sexy, Kewl.

why rich your underwear is what makes you sexy.

btw you guys should interview Logic next. o yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom