• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ART with Your Almighty Power 4! Results March 28th, 1997!

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer

Art With Your Power

We are incorporating two different themes to spice things up a bit, so make sure you have both of them in your submission!

Our next prompt, brought to you by our very own FROWN, is...
ANGER
With the secondary theme
The color blue

Any medium is allowed. Contest is over on March 14th at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time!

Judging
Each entry will be judged according to four guidelines, and each of these will be worth five points(meaning each piece will be eligible for a total of 60 points; 20 from each judge):

Adherence to prompt!: Self explanatory. It just needs to relate to the topic in some way. I see this as an easy 5 points.

Skill!: Another self explanatory one. Don't worry if your art skills aren't top of the rung. This is only one category and let's remember the basis of this contest is fun and improvement :)

Ingenuity/Style!: How clever were you with your piece while sticking to the theme? Also, is your style refreshing? Did you use your medium in an unconventional way?

Aesthetics!: Is your piece pleasing to look at? How is its composition? Colors work nicely together? Does it draw the viewer in?

The three judges will be: Livvers. Virgilijus. Spire V. FROWN. The method for judging is the so called "Scurvy" method devolped by Scav and Virg: only the top three placers will be named (barring very close 4th places) and no numerical scores based on the rubric will be posted. This is to help the younger artists who don't necessarily need to know they were the judged the worst. There will be judge's comments with each piece that offer critiques on the piece.

Prizes

The prizes this round are:

THIRD PLACE:

You'll get to tout an orange name and have a paintbrush icon along with your other icons.

SECOND PLACE:
You'll get the orange name, the paint brush, AND a custom title.

FIRST PLACE:

You'll receive an orange name, the paint brush, and will be allowed to pick out the next prompt as well as judge the next contest.

How to enter:

Just post your entry in this thread, along with these guidelines:

You absolutely MUST INCLUDE a description along with your image giving a brief summary of what you did. This is to help weed out stolen images. We also need at least two progress pictures. For photography I ask that you supply a picture of you holding out your screen name in the scene you just photographed(like, say you photographed a field. I would want an extra picture of you showing your screen name in said field). I know this is a pain, but it's much harder to find stolen images than stolen written works. Also, please put these WIPs in the same post as your submission, and make them just links.

Virg edit:
DO NOT CHEAT. I cannot be more serious when I say this. We take cheating/stealing images very seriously and won't hold back on any perpetrators. If we find you have stolen an image, this will result in a one month ban from the AE. You will receive two points that will last two weeks as per the global rules. You will also be banned from future AWYPs and have the stigma of a cheater all over you. We've had people cheat before in other contests and I can assure you, for the 30 seconds it took them to cheat they absolutely regret it. If you are drawing, tracing is also not allowed and will be up to the judges discretion to claim.

Deadly Turnip Corollary: All entries must be completely new pieces of art. Even if you are the artist, if it is found that your work was posted online or in another forum before submitting it in this contest you will be disqualified.

Also, NO JOKE ENTRIES. This doesn't mean your entry can't be funny, but I won't tolerate an image you threw together in MS Paint for lulz and attention. You will be warned the first time it happens, and then banned from the AE if I see it again. You will no longer be able to submit real entries to any future contests. This is a serious competition to promote practicing your art and improving. Also, one official entry per entrant. If you have several pieces and don't know which to choose, you can post several and get other people's opinions on which you want to enter, but only one will be entered (we can comment on the others, but it won't affect the contest).

Now, the main purpose of this contest isn't to win: it's to draw and paint and sculpt and to have fun while doing it. If it becomes too much of a chore or things start piling up on you, don't worry about it. There will always be another contest :)

So go ahead and start drawing! And don't forget to ART WITH YOUR POWER!

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The due date is a bit too soon, IMO.

Being that the Flyer contest is up and has a similar due date (only a day difference).

But I will do what I can. Thanks for the heads up.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Are we ever going to get that paintbrush icon? Because I'm certainly no writer.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
hype hype hype

Anger and blue don't normally go together. This will be interesting. Good idea.

If I don't participate in this someone ban me forever.

Two questions: Are we only allowed one entry? I know this might sound silly, but just to be sure, are we allowed text, like speech bubbles and the such?

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Speech bubbles and what not are fine. Just be careful with use, if you spell out the prompt totally with them you may lose points in ingenuity.

I apologize for the short time limit. Think of it as a challenge. We just wanted the due date to line up with spring break so the judges would have ample free time to write out critiques. And I meant to post this sooner but I got a pretty nasty cold that put me out of commission for a week.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Frown's username still makes me giggle.

The time limit seems fine, imo.

Anger and blue? I got just right the thing in mind! :D I hope... o.o

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh, cool, I have a sketch of an ink drawing that suits this perfectly. Just gotta deviate it a bit and get the necessary supplies.

*sees deadline*

Yeah, might make it....

Chaco

Never Logs In
Oh, a question on the incorporation of blue: How essential of the judging will it be? In a percentage, how much of the piece needs to be blue?

I find that these two topics conflict each other, sense the arbitrary color of anger is red. Where as blue can represent anger such as used in a blue flame, but essentially I guess that lies in the hue of the blue.

I'll still submit, however, I'll only be using blue as a guideline.

Kupo Rose

We also need at least two progress pictures. For photography I ask that you supply a picture of you holding out your screen name in the scene you just photographed(like, say you photographed a field. I would want an extra picture of you showing your screen name in said field).
Does it have to be myself in person? Or will a hand do? (with my screenname of course)

=====

edit: Alright thanks.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
@Chaco: The color blue needs to be present or a bit of a focal point in the picture(like, just having a random blue object that doesn't relate to the picture as a whole wouldn't be good). The point of picking the color blue to go along with anger was due to the fact that they aren't often associated with each other, and we wanted a more challenging prompt =)

@SoniKupo: A hand with your screen name is fine.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Ooh~! This looks cool and I most definitely want to enter this! I'm a bit nervous but I'll do my best~! -^__^-v

Edit: Whoopsies. Forgot to mention good luck to everyone~! >.<v!

Super edit: Sorries for changing a lot of things. D: But yeah! I may have to reconsider this now. I'd really like to try but there's that Flyer contest that's due the same day so it doesn't give a lot of time to focus on both..! But I'll try!

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I would just like to say that the early due date is because of me: I have a rather heinous schedule at the moment and that date is the start of my spring break. I don't want to pull a he who must not be named and drag the results on forever, so asked Livvers if it could coincide with it.

If it's getting towards the end and people are needing a day or two more, we can probably move it back. That said, don't depend on it and get cracking :)

Also: paintbrush icons are awaiting the MLG team to upload. That has taken a while (submitted them long ago) and... will probably take a lot longer :'^(

Chaco

Never Logs In
@Chaco: The color blue needs to be present or a bit of a focal point in the picture(like, just having a random blue object that doesn't relate to the picture as a whole wouldn't be good). The point of picking the color blue to go along with anger was due to the fact that they aren't often associated with each other, and we wanted a more challenging prompt =)
I wasn't thinking like an---"OH look there's his blue!'-- more of blue incororated into the piece but more as a stepping stone to the focal point. It'll be there, underlying the focal point. But, yeah, we'll see how it goes. I'll do the piece as planned, and see if our views on it match. :D

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
hmm, blue anger? i like a good challenge, one week from today--id better get on it! btw, this'll be my first entry, hope im up for it!

Geist

Smash Master
Curious, is the cut-off as soon as the 14 begins, or is there some slack there to work with?
I picked a great time to have a busy week.

Chaco

Never Logs In
It'll be the 14th...whoo for one week to finish. I'm roughly 1/4 done though.

Kupo Rose

Okayy thanks.

(Now I'm stuck on 2 ideas >.<)

======

edit: Sounds easier said that done lol.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Finished the main part of my piece last night~
Working on final adjustments/edits tonight x3

Good luck everyone!!

Frown

poekmon
Oh my... I really, really like those. The Wizard Kick fits the prompt quite well.

On the other hand, they were made outside this contest. It's not a legitimate entry if it has been posted before. :(

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
They were technically teased in the Workshop Back Room late last night, but they haven't been shared publicly yet for the project. I originally intended to unveil them to the public in the Project M thread, but chose to do so here, for whatever that's worth. It would be a shame to DQ something on a very minor technicality.

Top Bottom