• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

X1-12

Smash Champion
M2 reflects a pikachu's neutral B it like floats up in the air and like flows round his head, I'm sure i've got it to go over M2's head and land on the other side keep going like normal

ru5514n

Smash Ace
it can hit anyone except the person who shot it. The projectile is still considered the property of the shooter.

It can also fail and the projectile(s) double(s) back and hits m2. In teams you can hit anybody else but it will pass throught the shooter. Its a moderately cool mindgame.
Oh. I've only seen it done in 1vs. 1 matches, so I assumed the projectile wouldn't hit anyone. Thx for clearing it up.

Lovage

Smash Hero
if you do a running grab while running to an edge, and the momentum of the running grab carries you to the edge, your grab hitbox will still be out for as long as it should be.

this is cool if you're platform techchasing (falco comes to mind) and you want to put our your grab before they finish rolling to the edge of the platform. the grab hitbox stays out and they roll into your catch range.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Nice. : D I'm pretty sure it has been posted here, but I was like on pg 5 and I don't have the time. xD

When Doc/Mario capes falco's/fox's illusion, they like, phantom to the other side of the stage. Its like YAY I CAPED HIM NOW HE DIES :D. But what then happens is he disappears and re-appears on the other side! XD Maybe thats why its called an illusion?

Also I was daired by Falco on that dumb tree in Pokemon Stadium. : [ xDDD

I don't know that much stuff but I'll try to learn as much as I can, because I want to know everything. :3

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
You can edge cancel jigglypuff's sing. The sleep animation, not the sing animation. (ei, puff sing cancels on the edge, as a fox runs at the edge. fox gets put to sleep, slides forward then is suddenly not asleep thx to edge canceling)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^To add to that, you can also edge cancel the "my shield is broken" animation. In fact, the wind on dreamland can even push you off a platform while in this state and as soon as you fall of the platform you can move again.

Also, you cannot grab an edge when falling back down from the initial shield break.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
You can edge cancel jigglypuff's sing. The sleep animation, not the sing animation. (ei, puff sing cancels on the edge, as a fox runs at the edge. fox gets put to sleep, slides forward then is suddenly not asleep thx to edge canceling)
I wonder if that work with shield breaks?

EDIT: ^ o lol, that's what I get for leaving a page on for 30 minutes before reading and replying.

Thanks Sonic for the additional info.

EDIT2:

Also, you cannot grab an edge when falling back down from the initial shield break.
How in the world did you test that? Time a shield break on Randall on YS or something?

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
The voice actor of Master Hand/ Crazy hand is none other then Dean Harrington. It is rumored that if he screams directly into your face, Your soul bruises forever.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
How in the world did you test that? Time a shield break on Randall on YS or something?
Well, it'll work on moving stages too, but yes that's where it first happened to me.

Also, you can kind of shove them while they're falling to send them over the ledge (you know how 2 characters can't occupy the same space?)

Oh, and I think shoving (when two characters try to occupy the same space, one character is moved out of the way) is done by controller port as well.

Lovage

Smash Hero
can someone explain this?

pick fox on fd
run from one end of the stage to the other, and right before you get to the edge, cancel your dash (tap down) and do a jab.

once the jab is over, you stay still, on the very tip of the edge. BUT, if you hold back or hold shield you drop off

this is similar to momentum drops (watch phanna's video) where if you do a dash attack with certain characters and hold back/shield you'll fall off

that's pretty weird that it works with fox's jab like this. it probably works with other characters/moves but i didn't mess around with it much.

MELEE IS FULL OF SURPRISES

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
He falls because he's lighter?
That doesn't seem to make sense....
Lighter characters fall over at lower percents from all moves. But because Fox's shine has set knockback, characters that fall over from it at zero (everyone who weighs less than 87 pounds, aka Roy and below) always fall over, whereas characters that don't fall over at zero (87 pounds and up, aka NTSC Marth and above) always don't fall over. That's just the dividing line for the shine, Sakurai agreed, don't bother us about it.

Arcade

Smash Ace
If you push a five-year-old and a sumo wrestler with the same force, the kid falls over but the sumo wrestler doesn't (assume they have the same shoes, stance, etc.)

This is because friction = mew * N
where mew is a constant and N is the force exerted on the floor by the person. So a heavier person would exert more force on the ground, increasing the friction and thus resistance to being pushed/toppled over. Of course you could take into consideration a whole bunch of other things but you get the idea.

battousai555

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but if you miraculously shine a Bowser while he's charging, it's possible to thunders combo him (every char falls from a shine if he/she is charging a smash). Unfortunately I haven't tried this on any other characters. Shall I do some testing and make a list? I'm probably the only one who's interested in something so silly :ohwell:

X1-12

Smash Champion
can someone explain this?

pick fox on fd
run from one end of the stage to the other, and right before you get to the edge, cancel your dash (tap down) and do a jab.

once the jab is over, you stay still, on the very tip of the edge. BUT, if you hold back or hold shield you drop off

this is similar to momentum drops (watch phanna's video) where if you do a dash attack with certain characters and hold back/shield you'll fall off

that's pretty weird that it works with fox's jab like this. it probably works with other characters/moves but i didn't mess around with it much.

MELEE IS FULL OF SURPRISES
Lovage I think i understand this

When sliding forawards to an edge, if you are mid attack you seem to go into a 'momentum stall' phase where you complete the attack right on the edge, however if just after the attack you press shield or inwards you leave the 'momentum stall' and characters who have low traction may have left over momentum from before the atatck which starts having an effect again.. and thus you slide off

I did some testing by wavedash to the edge -> jab then hold shield/inwards It seems to work all the time with characters with low traction, and only works sometimes (if you start the WD right near the eadge) with mid-traction chars but peach and xelda it doesnt work at all..

Also i did some other test, Using ICs do WD to edge -> jab ->hold in they fall off, same with f-tilt and D-tilt but not U-tilt or any smashes, it seems that the longer moves (U-tilt and smashes) give more time for the stalled momentum to wear off so tat when you leave the momentum stall there's no left over momentum

that made sense to me not sure if i explained it properly :/

Magus420

Smash Master
You can have what the game considers the bottom point of your character go over the edge during some attacks that don't allow falling off the stage during them, and in some cases it doesn't get to fully 'correct' your position to be back on the stage when it ends. When that happens and you're facing the edge without doing anything you'll go into the teeter animation (also known as 'Ottotto' for 'Ooops' in Japanese). The teeter anim also has the flag set to disable sliding off edges, so it will prevent you from falling off as well even if you are still considered over the edge from the attack before it. Turning, shielding, crouching, etc that cause you to fall off do not have the flag set to prevent it.

You can actually interrupt with certain moves that prevent slide offs if you do it right. If you were to do CF's dash attack to the edge and then hold down as it ends you'll follow it up with a crouch and allow you to fall off. If you instead hold down and time pressing the A button just right so you go directly from DA to d-tilt you won't have a chance to fall off.

Though you don't actually reach any further beyond the edge when doing the sliding jab than you would while standing at the edge, your position as the game is concerned does still overshoot the edge when you're moving towards the edge as you get stopped, and slowly 'corrects' itself back to normal. It doesn't get all the way back on the stage when the jab ends though so if you then go into something that allows slide offs you will fall.

X1-12

Smash Champion
You can have what the game considers the bottom point of your character go over the edge during some attacks that don't allow falling off the stage during them, and in some cases it doesn't get to fully 'correct' your position to be back on the stage when it ends. When that happens and you're facing the edge without doing anything you'll go into the teeter animation (also known as 'Ottotto' for 'Ooops' in Japanese). The teeter anim also has the flag set to disable sliding off edges, so it will prevent you from falling off as well even if you are still considered over the edge from the attack before it. Turning, shielding, crouching, etc that cause you to fall off do not have the flag set to prevent it.

You can actually interrupt with certain moves that prevent slide offs if you do it right. If you were to do CF's dash attack to the edge and then hold down as it ends you'll follow it up with a crouch and allow you to fall off. If you instead hold down and time pressing the A button just right so you go directly from DA to d-tilt you won't have a chance to fall off.

Though you don't actually reach any further beyond the edge when doing the sliding jab than you would while standing at the edge, your position as the game is concerned does still overshoot the edge when you're moving towards the edge as you get stopped, and slowly 'corrects' itself back to normal. It doesn't get all the way back on the stage when the jab ends though so if you then go into something that allows slide offs you will fall.
Wow, I was sorta close, this is a proud moment

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Lighter characters fall over at lower percents from all moves. But because Fox's shine has set knockback, characters that fall over from it at zero (everyone who weighs less than 87 pounds, aka Roy and below) always fall over, whereas characters that don't fall over at zero (87 pounds and up, aka NTSC Marth and above) always don't fall over. That's just the dividing line for the shine, Sakurai agreed, don't bother us about it.
Sorry, when I think about SSBM I don't assume they programed something that makes sense in the real world....

You don't have to act so bitter...

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Sorry, when I think about SSBM I don't assume they programed something that makes sense in the real world....

You don't have to act so bitter...
But I didn't compare it to something in the real world, I compared it to all other moves in SSBM.

Also I wasn't being bitter, I was being... efficient? Concise? Succinct? Something like that. And then I ended with a kinda outdated internet meme to try to give the post a more playful edge.

X1-12

Smash Champion
. And then I ended with a kinda outdated internet meme to try to give the post a more playful edge.
this always works

Geoff: "My Mom died.."

Alex: "oh no, what happened?"

Geoff: "Someone stabbed her 9001 times"

Alex: "OVER 9000?!!!?!?!?!!!?!?!?"

Hilarity Ensues....

no but srsly i don't think he was trying to be bitter

BunBun

Smash Master
You guys worry me sometimes.

Also, some fun common knowledge: Fox (among other characters) says different things in his japanese audio version than his English. Most pronounced are Fox and Mewtwo, IIRC.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
If Roy hits a character with counter, and connects any other move before they hit the ground - the next move will "invisible ceiling" them. Try countering Marth's UpB and fsmashing him before he gets the edge or lands on the stage. Even Roy's tipper will send them at an awkward downwards angle.

Jonas

Smash Champion
HMW's an American, so he will never get the pronounciation of a Japanese word 100% right unless he puts a little effort and thought into it (sort of how Japanese people never get English words right).

When I say it I always pronounce it a bit like "ka-yeh" (with the "ka" being pronounced like "ca" in "cat") because that's how it's pronounced in Danish :V

X1-12

Smash Champion
HMW's an American, so he will never get the pronounciation of a Japanese word 100% right unless he puts a little effort and thought into it (sort of how Japanese people never get English words right).

When I say it I always pronounce it a bit like "ka-yeh" (with the "ka" being pronounced like "ca" in "cat") because that's how it's pronounced in Danish :V
KAGE: WHERE YOU AT? we having some pronunciation problems

Arcade

Smash Ace
Kage is a Japanese name? Then it shouldn't be pronounced with an R. It should be kah-geh. Say "car get" then say it again but drop the R and T.

To kinda get back on task, Ness's taunt probably came from the character naming screen in EarthBound. When you finished naming a character and clicked "OK" a voice would say "ok desu ka", meaning "OK?"

For some reason Ness's PSI Magnet has changed in color from green to blue to purple-ish throughout the Smash series.

Top Bottom