• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"common knowledge" that a lot of people don't know

Kanelol

Smash Lord
M2's side B little throw thingy can reflect Fox and Falco lasers. Not sure about reflecting larger more dangerous projectiles, but it might be possible.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
M2's side B can teleport people on the ledge underneath the level if you hit them with it while falling off the side of Battlefield

Paixy

Smash Journeyman
when Kirby uses Doc's pills, the collision sound is the same as a green shell

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
i dunno if this has been said or not but normally, captain falcon's full hop can't get you to the top platform in one jump on yoshi's island but if you are at the peak of your jump and do a d-air, u-air, or n-air, you'll land on the top platform. not really useful though lol.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
yo uh, this thread is ****in awesome btw.

Most of the stuff shouldn't even be common knowledge, but it's still mad fun to read about anyway haha

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It's because the first hit of Roy's up B has set knockback (and quite a bit of BKB too). It's SUPPOSED to just make sure that the rest of the up B connects (by launching them into the rest of it regardless of their percent), but you can abuse that first hit by making the others miss (which is what you're doing when you reverse it).

The other hits of his up B have the same qualities (though not as much BKB) and can also kill lighter characters (except the last hit which has terrible BKB), but it's kinda hard to make the last hit miss because the other hits are specifically designed to link into the last hit <_<.

moogle

Smash Ace
if you go to one of the side platforms on the *****-thing in the center of Peaches' Castle with falcon and mash down on the c stick then the animation cancels after a few frames. do it repeatedly for fun.
Depending on what *color* Captain Falcon you are, the down smash cancels at different times. I think regular costume CF does this significantly slower than the other 5 costumes.

Other things...

I've always found it strange that you can't do up+A to do a usmash out of shield in Melee (you can in 64 and Brawl), but you can however do up+A to do a usmash during the shield-drop animation, on what appears to be the first frame after you drop your shield. It could be a reasonable alternative to the usual way to usmash from shield in Melee (up/X/Y, then c-stick up immediately after).

I've encountered a lot of people that didn't know that you can go to "Custom Rules" in the VS menu, and then just push start to go directly to character select. Most people do character select screen -> click around the top of the screen to change the game rules (4 stock, etc.) -> go back to character select screen. That way's inefficient. :p

When typing in your tag in Melee, there's a little "Random" button off to the side, which generates random tags for you. It can spit out some interesting names....

Young Link's up-B goes reaaaally high in Tiny Melee. He can sometimes overshoot the edge recovering from the bottom of FoD, using up-B alone. He makes a great sound, too.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Some people just have really terrible DI. But you can do the same thing with Falcon's back-air, which is a great way to camp just barely out of your opponent's reach. Just keep doing short hop b-air, dj b-air and stay just out of range. I think it's something every Falcon should be able to do with 100% consistency.

`DNS`

Smash Lord
I've always found it strange that you can't do up+A to do a usmash out of shield in Melee (you can in 64 and Brawl), but you can however do up+A to do a usmash during the shield-drop animation, on what appears to be the first frame after you drop your shield. It could be a reasonable alternative to the usual way to usmash from shield in Melee (up/X/Y, then c-stick up immediately after).

You can do it in Melee, you just have to let go of the shield button (because [shield button] + A is a grab)

You can do it without letting go of the button if you use Z, but then it charges (Since Z counts as [L/R] and A)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
My combo DI is good, considering I live in Florida with a bunch of falcos

But I die at 100 on FD to a fully charged shot by samus.

or a fair from ganon at 80 on yoshis.

help.
0_o... All you do is DI up, it's not hard (okay, this is an oversimplification, but in general it works). What separates Rock Crock from you isn't really a secret. He just DIs CORRECTLY more often than you do, because he predicts when the opponent will throw out their kill move and DIs accordingly, while you're probably relying on pure reaction. You may not have the reaction time needed to consistently get the DI that way (for quicker moves anyway, like Fox upsmash and such).

Just try guessing at when the opponent is going to do their finisher. You'd be surprised how easy they are to predict based on their spacing alone.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Pfft if that wasn't in every Mewtwo combo video in existence...
It wasnt
M2's side B can teleport people on the ledge underneath the level if you hit them with it while falling off the side of Battlefield
It works on any surface that you can fall past and the other can stand on. Most of the surfaces are things like platforms or surfaces that the opponent can jump back through.

Kongo mute city rainbow brinstar stadium(only in earlier versions and most commonly on the left side) battlefield randal the cloud are all the legalish stages that you can pull somebody through something other than just a standard platform.

otherwise it just makes them grab the edge.
It reflects all projectiles, however, they can't hit anybody after they've been reflected.
it can hit anyone except the person who shot it. The projectile is still considered the property of the shooter.

It can also fail and the projectile(s) double(s) back and hits m2. In teams you can hit anybody else but it will pass throught the shooter. Its a moderately cool mindgame.

You can also flip somebody over while simultaneously reflecting projectiles.

Anybody you hit with confusion in the air also gets their jump back. cool for saving ppl.

Top Bottom