• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Dark Lords' Intreview Thread. [Current: Ray Kalm]

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
Man... I fell on the ground when I saw you in that video. I laughed my tears out! x'D

Manly to the last stray of beard!

DoonKoon

Smash Journeyman
Second Victim: Clai

Who do you think is the best wifi/online dorf?
I don't like gauging people's skills based on Wifi, mainly because of how much lag can get in the way of things. If you mean to ask who's the best wifi/offline Ganon, I would have to say Vex Kasrani is the best Ganon. I might be biased because I play Vex all the time, but I'd say that he knows how to win with Ganon in the highest levels of play more than anyone.

how often do you use the dorf in tournaments?
I've been using Ganon more and more in tournaments. If I'm fighting Falco or one of Ganon's 0-100 matchups, I may switch to another character, but I'm actually planning on saying 'screw the matchups' and just go all Ganon.

Originally Posted by Bahamut777 View Post
Your FoG video is amazing! How many time you spent practicing and recording all that? What about the edge game video?
For the FoG video, it only took me about an hour to get all the footage and then maybe 30 minutes making the video. When I saw the FoG section in the last Super Ganon Time video, I was already consistent with doing FoG's and I figured out pretty quickly how to pull off the FoG's in that video, so it was just a matter of playing timed matches and getting the FoG's off.

The ledge guide video took probably around 2-3 hours in total. Again, I already knew what I planned to put in the video, so it was a matter of just playing the matches and being able to pull off everything I needed to.

Did you ever used Ganon in a tourney? What was your ranking then?
Ganondorf is by far my best character, so I use him all the time in tournaments. The only times when I don't use Ganon are if I think I'm going to fight an impossible matchup like the IC's, but I'm actually planning on using Ganon in those matchups as well.

My tournament record fails really hard, but it's due to the fact that when I play tournament matches, I tend to lose technical control over Ganon completely and I end up being incapable of doing anything that I try to do., not because of my character choice.

You think FoG is really useful during a serious match against high level players?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAdXK-XrJqY

Yes. Anything that give Ganondorf more options is good enough to use for me. Ganon really needs all the options he can get.

Ganon's favourite move?
Warlock Punch. Obvious answer.

Do you plan to travel to some other country/state/region to play on a big tourney?
Outside of NY/NJ/PA, I don't plan on travelling out of my region for tournaments. I don't have my driver's license and I don't want my parents to freak out about taking public transportation that far.

Would you come to Brazil? *-*
Not in the forseeable future.

What controller and controller scheme do you use?
I use a Gamecube controller with L set to jump and X set to attack. L is at jump because it helps me with jumping out of shield, and X is so I can do walk-off Murder Stomps off the edge of the stage and not fast-fall them and kill myself.

Oh, and my tag is 'Manly' Pretty obvious as to why.

Do you have some kind of trademark or custom item that you always use at tourneys so people can identify you?
I print out images related to Ganondorf and tape them to my shirt. It gets people's attention pretty easily. At Veridian City, I coupled a picture of Ganon doing a Warlock Punch next to a picture of Chuck Norris and wrote, 'It is written, only Link Chuck Norris can defeat Ganon."

Photos of yourself? 8D
How about a video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvabzPfMc70

Favourite underwear color?
Gray

Do you have any hobbies?
I like running, playing tennis, playing the piano/tenor saxophone, and reading (either about weapons or humorous books, especially Dave Barry; he's hilarious)

What do you feel when (if) you get flammed for using Ganon?
I'm not really affected by it. I just tell them about how manly Ganondorf is and leave it at that.

What is Ganon's hardest MU, IYO?
Ice Climbers. They can just grab Ganondorf out of too much too easily. If Ganon had moves that weren't so terrible on shield, IC's would be a lot more manageable, but I can't do anything about that.

Do you like Brawl as it is or are you hacking-addept?
I don't hack myself, but I do play texture/music hacks. I also play Brawl Minus, but I don't use Ganondorf in that game because I don't want to get my timing for standard Brawl messed up. I can't wait for the Alpha release, and I'm not sure as to who I'll main in that game, but I'm leaning towards Luigi.

Is there any player that you like/respect/aim toward?
You'd have to be pretty much a complete jerk for me to not like you. We're all here to have fun, and it's awesome to share my love for this game to other people.

Originally Posted by DLA View Post
What's your greatest strength with Ganon? Greatest weakness?
My greatest strength with Ganon is the speed and fluidness that I play him. I take pride in having a very technical and fast Ganon (LOL calling Ganon fast) because it sure helps fighting players who think "Ganon's so slow I can do anything I want to him and he can't do a thing about it."

My greatest weakness is being offensive offstage. I get hesitant in attempting to edgeguard someone offstage because knowing how crappy his recovery is, I tend to predict wrong and then get edgeguarded myself. I see people like Ijosh edgeguard the balls off an opponent and I'm all "I wish I could do that and not worry about killing myself..."

Originally Posted by Noobicidal View Post
Where would you be at in life were it not for Kamina's manly influence?
If Gurrenn Lagann has taught me anything, it's taught me to never give up on myself because through effort and determination, any obstacle can be destroyed. However, I have already had this type of personality, for the most part, and I've only watched Gurrenn Lagann this past summer, so to be frank, it hasn't had that much of an effect on me.

In terms of affecting me as a competitive smasher, Gurrenn Lagann gives me some incredible quotes that I can use if anyone tries to put me down for using Ganondorf. However, I have had my goal to become the manliest Brawler long before I watched Gurrenn Lagann.

Originally Posted by @HomE View Post
On a scale of 3 to 26, how turned on do you get by sight of your own nude butt?
30. Every time I stare at it, I instantly have Jessica Alba's face burned into my mind. I was meaning to check that out, because that might be a serious psychological problem.

Originally Posted by Hobs V
What's in the name? (repeat for everyone else)
When I started competitive Smash back in 2007, I knew I wanted a short, distinct name, but not an abbreviation like M2K. I had thought of Clay Aiken because I remembered American Idol and thought he had a cool name, so I replaced the 'Y' with an 'I' for more cool points and that was that.

Originally Posted by WhatIsRaizen?

Why do you think you're the manliest guy there is?
It's a combination of my aggressive and technical playstyle, my boisterous personality in tournaments, and the fact that I'm more willing to use Warlock Punch and other techniques that are probably useless but have infinite manly points than the other Ganon mains. The other character mains don't count because Ganondorf is, by far, the manliest character in Brawl and just using him makes me manlier than they are. The 'Manly' tag just adds to it all.

Kai, interview is up ^.

Our third victim... hmm let's go to Breezy. Does he still use Ganon?

DoonKoon

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I guess we're not doing him. Any suggestions on who to do next?

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Kalm... very little is known about him. Except that he's of middle eastern descent I believe?

Bahamut777

Smash Ace
Do you consider yourself top world's Ganon?

Your prediction skills are amazing! Were you born with them or you practiced/developed them on your daily life?

How often do you go to tourneys?

Can you spoil us about the C.Video's situation? (N33d h4lpz/)

Were you a Melee player before Brawl came out? Who you played as then?

Internet serious business. Agree or disagree?

Ganon's favourite move?

Do you plan to travel to some other country/state/region to play on a big tourney?

Do you have some kind of trademark or custom item that you always use at tourneys so people can identify you?

Photos of yourself? 8D

Do you have any hobbies?

@HomE

Smash Ace
I lol'd when he just flat out said breezy doesn't use Ganon anymore...

I thought Kalm was asian?

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Lol I said Breezy doesn't MAIN him anymore, not that he doesn't USE him >.> Anyways get ***** Brizzle McDizzle.

Kalm: Do you ever laugh? What does it sound like, and can it cure cancer?

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Do you consider yourself top world's Ganon?
Not really, but I do find myself reaching that spot pretty soon. I consider DLA better than me, merely because of his results.

Your prediction skills are amazing! Were you born with them or you practiced/developed them on your daily life?
Ganon relies on prediction to do anything, so it's pretty much a must to have good prediction skills.

How often do you go to tourneys?
As often as I can. The tournament scene around here isn't much compared to other regions, and there wouldn't be much at all if it weren't for a few well known players showing up.

Can you spoil us about the C.Video's situation? (N33d h4lpz/)
It's almost finished.

Were you a Melee player before Brawl came out? Who you played as then?
While I didn't play Melee competitively, I did play it. I used Ganon there as well.

Internet serious business. Agree or disagree?
In between.

Ganon's favourite move?
Clai already answered this question for you.

I don't have much time to even attend the tournaments around here, so I doubt I'll be traveling as much. Maybe in the future, but I'm unsure.

What for?

Default.

Nope, I'm just me.

Photos of yourself? 8D
I'll update this post when I find some.. currently using my laptop.

Black.

Do you have any hobbies?
Well, I've been a huge soccer fan and player all my life, which pretty much takes up most of my time if I'm not busy reading or working out.

I've never been flamed for using Ganon, but I have been flammed for winning matches with him.

It's a tie between Olimar and Ice Climbers.

I like it as it is, and I try to lay off of playing the hacked versions of this game to preterit my vBrawl skills.

Unless someone's a real pain in the ***, there isn't a reason for me to hate anyone.

Except that he's of middle eastern descent I believe?
I thought Kalm was asian?
You came close. I'm of southern Asian descent, Pakistan.

LOL, pick your own favorite move, I bet you don't even use Warlock Punch in matches.

As for my questions:

How do you deal with online lag? Are you more selective with your moves and actions knowing that lag will be an issue?

Do you have any respected rivals that you play a lot, offline or online?

Which matchup do you think Ganondorf has the best chance against (and no himself doesn't count)?

Is there anywhere that we can follow your tournament scene (like a Youtube account that puts up a lot of matches from your region)?

@HomE

Smash Ace
not being able to win tournys with Ganon = fail

breezy who do u MAIN now?

@kalm: do you watch UFC? if not, why not?

Breezy

Smash Ace
breezy who do u MAIN now?
Falco. He's like ganon, except with a better recovery, is faster, has projectiles, can approach, can punish, is weaker, has oos options, and can cg.

He's also a bird, which is cool, because birds make them pretty tweetish sounds.

And as for a question for kalm;

Why don't you like me? Is it because I'm black? If it is, that's weird, because i'm actually half mexican and white, with some sort of native canadian thrown in there.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Falco. He's like ganon, except with a better recovery, is faster, has projectiles, can approach, can punish, is weaker, has oos options, and can cg.

He's also a bird, which is cool, because birds make them pretty tweetish sounds.
I found this hilarious.

Breezy

Smash Ace
I found this hilarious.
Beast.
I now have 3 people on smashboards who have quoted me :chuckle:

Maybe 4 <_< I can't remember if both red8 and home quoted me when i was thinking of names for the ganon boards combo video which I won't be in because ray doesn't like me.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Clai already answered this question for you.
LOL, pick your own favorite move, I bet you don't even use Warlock Punch in matches.

As for my questions:

How do you deal with online lag? Are you more selective with your moves and actions knowing that lag will be an issue?

Do you have any respected rivals that you play a lot, offline or online?

Which matchup do you think Ganondorf has the best chance against (and no himself doesn't count)?

Is there anywhere that we can follow your tournament scene (like a Youtube account that puts up a lot of matches from your region)?

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
besides the fact that he's really good, why did you highlight zhouten so much in the combo video?

after watching my combos compared to how I play now, they were bad lol

(what do you think o.O)

and who is tonsana?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Kalm, are you any good with MK/Snake/Diddy?

If you suddenly woke up one day and realized you were Ganondorf... What would you do?

Have you ever met Adam Copeland? aka EDGE.

Which are your top favourite Video Games ever?

Tonsana

Smash Apprentice
I dont post here so often....thats why noone knows who I am lol.

But I like this interview thing so I am gonna ask a few questions to you Kalm.

Who do you belive is Ganons best teammate in teams?

How can you play so well in lag? :p

If you gave up Ganon. Who would you pick for your main?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I should probably save this for if Z1gma gets interviewed, but I want to know: Why do all the Ganon mains in Europe like green Ganon?
I wasn't able to come up with a funny answer for that, so, instead:
I have no clue.

Top Bottom