• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG Orlando 2010 - April 16-18th ($7,000) - RESULTS THREAD IS UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I wonder why....

because they're not in this thread....

Because they're not coming....

Because they don't stand a chance with their mediocre characters...
disagree. since when you add in these stages and rules, some of those mediocre characters, all of a sudden, arent really so mediocre anymore.

ima throw this out there now. any good ness mains that show up to this are going to place redix high.

Everyone needs to go to gamestop now and hope to find any old gamecube controllers with the joystick chewed up and sticky ish on it.

Everyone that doesn't already have a GC controller obviously
ORRR...

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-23-49-en-70-2ola.html

@ally,

dont bite the hand that feeds brah. even if it isnt your favorite food...

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I wonder why....

because they're not in this thread....

Because they're not coming....

Because they don't stand a chance with their mediocre characters...
Esam will do well.
Nick riddle will do well.
random pools I could make it far as hell, lol especially with this stage list. Modern day sheik on norfair? Can't wait.

Honestly though, spare the controller deal there is very little to complain about every character has multiple stages to CP to in the even their best stage is banned it isn't just MK or just snake.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Esam will do well.
Nick riddle will do well.
random pools I could make it far as hell
How do you know? Anyone could get ***** at this tournament. Top MKs, top Snakes, top ZSS players. And they're like the only players in this thread who play below A tier or w/e so if they don't complain it's not like it means much. Top players could get ***** by "good players" who just know how to be gay on the new stagelist. Strategy is going to be increasingly important, and a lot of people who you've never seen use MK will probably pick him up as well :laugh:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
How do you know? Anyone could get ***** at this tournament. Top MKs, top Snakes, top ZSS players. And they're like the only players in this thread who play below A tier or w/e so if they don't complain it's not like it means much. Top players could get ***** by "good players" who just know how to be gay on the new stagelist. Strategy is going to be increasingly important, and a lot of people who you've never seen use MK will probably pick him up as well :laugh:
playing gay on gay stages has been happening for a while now. adding a few stages obviously won't change that.

None of the good players are gonna get beat by month old pick up and play MKs.

=ZtA=

Smash Rookie
So none of you know who I am, but let me try to explain why wiimotes should be allowed (mind you I have worked with Bluetooth technology as an intern).

First off to explain how the wiimote bluetooth works: When you sync (or as i will refer to it pair) your wiimote to your wii it pairs by the method most commonly refereed to as "just works". This is because no pin or numeric comparison is required. It simply "just works" by the wii sending a Radio Frequency (RF) signal for a specific response (the response only a wiimote can make with the sync button) think of hitting that button as a long string of numbers in response to the wii asking you a complex math equation. The just works pairing of devices (wii and wiimote) is typically referred to as one of the more secure ways to bluetooth pair.

Having a secure pair is a good thing, but that is not necessarily vital. Many things can cause interference with the RF waves exchanged between the two devices (the wii and wiimote), and this is MLGs main concern.

First off I will give an example in retort to them saying there is not enough "bluetooth channels" which let me tell you do not exist.

Airports, business offices, and city streets have very similar environments as to MLG: lots of people in one place with cell phones in their pockets. And let me say this for an added bonus: a larger percentage of people on in those areas have bluetooth enabled and are using it to chat on their phones. Whether they are in a car, walking down the street, sitting in a lobby with a bluetooth mouse at the airport, or answering thousands of calls. Those people actually have the bluetooth enabled and are emitting RF waves. The people in the stands at the MLG events will not be using it nearly to such an extent...if at all.

Alright so if that is not enough to convince someone that interference will be minimal let me continue.

Bluetooth is run on a 2.4ghz band meaning anything running at that frequency could potentially cause interference which could include any of the following (this list is not all inclusive):

-Microwave ovens
-2.4 GHz or 5 GHz phones (these would be your house phones that are wireless and have a charging dock)
-Metal objects (will vibrate and send the RF band from the bluetooth in radical ways)
-Wireless speakers (would have to be running at 2.4ghz frequency)
-802.11 WIFI (but this is not much of a problem due to it using a different technique for accepting signals than bluetooth)
-Other Bluetooth devices and other 2.4ghz operating devices

I do not expect any "house phones" to be within a reasonable distance to cause interference so that is nil, metal objects I am assuming will not be placed between the player and the wii so that is also nil, even if wireless speakers are present they will probably be placed on walls and not causing noticeable interference, 802.11 wifi should cause no troubles as stated, and I do not expect many people will be using bluetooth devices (with it enabled) while watching the players.

So that was the list of possible inteferences, and most of them do not seem very likely to cause problems. If that is not enough to reconsider the wiimote. Let this last bit of knowledge help aid in your decision.

Bluetooth is divided into 3 classes of strength (1 being the strongest and 3 being the weakest).

So with the Wii probably being about 4-5 feet in front of the potential wiimote player very severe interference would have to take place in that distance to cause any sorts of problems...maybe if you placed 2 microwaves (right between the user and the wii) turned on you could get no signal. But that is not practical so let me go back to reality. The wiimote is classified as a class 1 bluetooth device...that is a ridiculously strong signal (I will admit I was shocked when I found that out). Class 1 devices are 10 times stronger than class 2 (class 2 is used by cellphones) and 100 times stronger than class 3.

So basically the only thing that is going to interfere with the bluetooth signals is microwaves or you get about 30 people standing between the player and the tv also with wiimotes pressing buttons at about 200 actions per minute.

sorry everyone for the SUPER LOOOOOONG post, I just wanted to help clarify a topic that I happen to know about. *note* I will not be attending the mlg event and I do not use a wiimote, also the stages and some of the rules look pretty lame.

To everyone that goes I hope you have a pleasant experience.

Best Regards,

ZTA

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
WOAH OUT OF EVERYONE trashing harder than me, this is what I get

You have received an infraction at Smash World Forums
Dear Ally,

You have received a 1 point infraction at Smash World Forums for Minor Spam. If you have six or more infraction points, you will no longer be able to post at Smash World Forums until some of your points expire.

For a full explanation of the rules and a detailed list of infractions, please review the Global Rules.

Original Post:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=9898395

Quote:
Major Fail gaming.
If you have a question about this infraction, please contact the moderator who issued it. If that does not resolve the issue, visit Forum Support.

Remember that, unless specified otherwise, all infractions expire.

All the best,
the Smash World Forums staff

Seriously?
Everyone else will be getting them too mate, don't you worry about that :)

@Everyone Else: Mods are going to be circling this thread like we usually do with high traffic threads, adhere to the global rules and have fun :)

RichBrown

Smash Master
In regards to my 10 wiimote players comment, I meant that with only 10 wiimote players, there shouldn't be THAT much interference. My bad, I completely worded that wrong

So you're the best Olimar now?

D1

Banned via Administration
This ruleset will make Brawl fun. Me and NL practiced a couple games on Green Greens and had a blast laughing at each other flying across the screen like idiots after blowing up. We also threw some OD brolic apples at each other and watched each other die. Ahhh good times.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
So none of you know who I am, but let me try to explain why wiimotes should be allowed (mind you I have worked with Bluetooth technology as an intern).

First off to explain how the wiimote bluetooth works: When you sync (or as i will refer to it pair) your wiimote to your wii it pairs by the method most commonly refereed to as "just works". This is because no pin or numeric comparison is required. It simply "just works" by the wii sending a Radio Frequency (RF) signal for a specific response (the response only a wiimote can make with the sync button) think of hitting that button as a long string of numbers in response to the wii asking you a complex math equation. The just works pairing of devices (wii and wiimote) is typically referred to as one of the more secure ways to bluetooth pair.

Having a secure pair is a good thing, but that is not necessarily vital. Many things can cause interference with the RF waves exchanged between the two devices (the wii and wiimote), and this is MLGs main concern.

First off I will give an example in retort to them saying there is not enough "bluetooth channels" which let me tell you do not exist.

Airports, business offices, and city streets have very similar environments as to MLG: lots of people in one place with cell phones in their pockets. And let me say this for an added bonus: a larger percentage of people on in those areas have bluetooth enabled and are using it to chat on their phones. Whether they are in a car, walking down the street, sitting in a lobby with a bluetooth mouse at the airport, or answering thousands of calls. Those people actually have the bluetooth enabled and are emitting RF waves. The people in the stands at the MLG events will not be using it nearly to such an extent...if at all.

Alright so if that is not enough to convince someone that interference will be minimal let me continue.

Bluetooth is run on a 2.4ghz band meaning anything running at that frequency could potentially cause interference which could include any of the following (this list is not all inclusive):

-Microwave ovens
-2.4 GHz or 5 GHz phones (these would be your house phones that are wireless and have a charging dock)
-Metal objects (will vibrate and send the RF band from the bluetooth in radical ways)
-Wireless speakers (would have to be running at 2.4ghz frequency)
-802.11 WIFI (but this is not much of a problem due to it using a different technique for accepting signals than bluetooth)
-Other Bluetooth devices and other 2.4ghz operating devices

I do not expect any "house phones" to be within a reasonable distance to cause interference so that is nil, metal objects I am assuming will not be placed between the player and the wii so that is also nil, even if wireless speakers are present they will probably be placed on walls and not causing noticeable interference, 802.11 wifi should cause no troubles as stated, and I do not expect many people will be using bluetooth devices (with it enabled) while watching the players.

So that was the list of possible inteferences, and most of them do not seem very likely to cause problems. If that is not enough to reconsider the wiimote. Let this last bit of knowledge help aid in your decision.

Bluetooth is divided into 3 classes of strength (1 being the strongest and 3 being the weakest).

So with the Wii probably being about 4-5 feet in front of the potential wiimote player very severe interference would have to take place in that distance to cause any sorts of problems...maybe if you placed 2 microwaves (right between the user and the wii) turned on you could get no signal. But that is not practical so let me go back to reality. The wiimote is classified as a class 1 bluetooth device...that is a ridiculously strong signal (I will admit I was shocked when I found that out). Class 1 devices are 10 times stronger than class 2 (class 2 is used by cellphones) and 100 times stronger than class 3.

So basically the only thing that is going to interfere with the bluetooth signals is microwaves or you get about 30 people standing between the player and the tv also with wiimotes pressing buttons at about 200 actions per minute.

sorry everyone for the SUPER LOOOOOONG post, I just wanted to help clarify a topic that I happen to know about. *note* I will not be attending the mlg event and I do not use a wiimote, also the stages and some of the rules look pretty lame.

To everyone that goes I hope you have a pleasant experience.

Best Regards,

ZTA
Quoting for last post of the page syndrome.

Extremely good info. I had no idea wiimotes had that strong of a signal. MLG can't keep up that "no wiimotes" rule with this information!

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
So heres the thing.

We spent a long time on the ruleset. Reading backroom posts, reading what players have had to say, watching vids, conference calls, email chains. Probably more time than any of us would have liked to have, but we did.

I understand its probably more liberal than most of you are used to (even what I myself play on). But we feel it has merit, that it balances out well, and gives people the opportunity to play a good, solid, intelligent match/set.

Now, I am not expecting everyone to say MLG made it, so lets love it. But all im asking you guys is to keep an open mind. Some of the levels you are arguing about you have so little experience on you may be surprised. And if we are wrong, we are man enough to admit it. So practice the levels, really learn them. And if you are at Orlando, or watching the livestream and home and see some level being broken or make for awful matches afterwards we give you full right to point and say "I told you so". And just as we did setting these, we will take an intelligent look at it and make changes if needed. But much in the same way its difficult to un-ban Meta Knight after you ban the sword wielding mofo, its difficult to add a level with no data to support it. Nothing makes us think subtractions will be needed, but we are smart enough to follow very carefully and if it does, do so.

So like I said, give it a chance for an event here. We are giving everyone the opportunity to showcase their best in Orlando. Really put an educated amount of time and practice into the ruleset. See what happens. And be it a player, forum lurker, community veteran, let Orlando pass before passing judgment.

So some notes:

Spring Removal is 100% fine

Wii Motes- We are still trying to figure this one out. But the MLG tech team has said because of the massive amount of electronics and things we run (and all do respect but an airport is just not an accurate analogy to MLG event. But i do appreciate the post Zta, hopefully something i can pass along) bluetooth (2.4 ghz) signals just do not work properly. Now unfortunately theres no way for me to test this till Orlando. But at the same time, you people that purchased passes, purchased tickets, we appreciate people coming out and if they do work would like to potentially give you players that did so without knowing the opportunity to use them in Orlando. Its not totally my call, but im hopeful.

gallax

Smash Hero
So heres the thing.

We spent a long time on the ruleset. Reading backroom posts, reading what players have had to say, watching vids, conference calls, email chains. Probably more time than any of us would have liked to have, but we did.

I understand its probably more liberal than most of you are used to (even what I myself play on). But we feel it has merit, that it balances out well, and gives people the opportunity to play a good, solid, intelligent match/set.

Now, I am not expecting everyone to say MLG made it, so lets love it. But all im asking you guys is to keep an open mind. Some of the levels you are arguing about you have so little experience on you may be surprised. And if we are wrong, we are man enough to admit it. So practice the levels, really learn them. And if you are at Orlando, or watching the livestream and home and see some level being broken or make for awful matches afterwards we give you full right to point and say "I told you so". And just as we did setting these, we will take an intelligent look at it and make changes if needed. But much in the same way its difficult to un-ban Meta Knight after you ban the sword wielding mofo, its difficult to add a level with no data to support it. Nothing makes us think subtractions will be needed, but we are smart enough to follow very carefully and if it does, do so.

So like I said, give it a chance for an event here. We are giving everyone the opportunity to showcase their best in Orlando. Really put an educated amount of time and practice into the ruleset. See what happens. And be it a player, forum lurker, community veteran, let Orlando pass before passing judgment.

So some notes:

Wii Motes- We are still trying to figure this one out. But the MLG tech team has said because of the massive amount of electronics and things we run (and all do respect but an airport is just not an accurate analogy to MLG event. But i do appreciate the post Zta, hopefully something i can pass along) bluetooth (2.4 ghz) signals just do not work properly. Now unfortunately theres no way for me to test this till Orlando. But at the same time, you people that purchased passes, purchased tickets, we appreciate people coming out and if they do work would like to potentially give you players that did so without knowing the opportunity to use them in Orlando. Its not totally my call, but im hopeful.
most of us are actually glad about the new stage list or indifferent since its ur call. most just want the wiimotes allowed so that we can have more people playing, especially people like razer and ybm. but thanks for being patient with SWF and the scrubs who post without thinking. i hope the mgl orlando tourney goes extremely well.

1 question though- how many livestreams are there gonna be? just one? two? more!??!?!?!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You would be silly not to pick up MK for MLG considering this stage list. Ever seen MK scrooge on Green Greens? I bet not. Time to get creative.

I don't have a problem with the stage list for the most part. I'm kinda meh on Norfair having a higher LGL than everywhere else, but most everything else seems fine. 9 starter stage list is fine and the CP list is good enough IMO (albeit a bit liberal).

Toneh

Smash Lord
is MLG ********??? friendly fire off???

*reconsiders going*

wont be anything but a metaknight parade.....

might as well name this MLG (Metaknight League Gaming)
pff all about falco lasers.

But nah it says this under the rules

2v2 Settings

1. Rules = Stock
2. Stock = 3
3. Timer = 8 Minutes
4. Items = Off & None
5. Team Attack = On

lou4222

Smash Lord
Haha this thread went from talking about a bunch of mms that will never happen, to complaining about rules.

Is there any way we can get a list of people who have bought passes/ registered for the event?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Thankfully I've played on most of those "gay" stages.
Just gotta learn Grean Greens.
<3 Norfair

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I have registered/have a pass

1 DOWN, SO MANY TO GO

Oh yeah, I uh found some neat stuff for MK on Green Greens. Gonna see how much of it M2K and Dojo already know lol.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Lol. I'm not gonna waste 350-500 dollars just to enjoy myself during the school year. I still get to use the money for that plane ticket to something else but I just gotta pay 150 to activate it.
Yo shut up son, I'm waiting for Ally round 1 and to get hardcore camped and planked on green greens. I think you would still place top 3 with some random *** controller you found on the ground in relevance to this ruleset of bull****ness! LET'S GO *****ES RANDOM ELEMENT TOURNEY.

Edit: Metaknights, don't go to mlg. Pro-banners will use this tournament as an excuse to ban your character when he already got all the top 10 spots in the first place before-hand ,lol.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No you don't understand how bad Razer is with a GC controller.

He's so bad, that he would be one of the worst players in Texas by a fair margin. Like he's that unused to it. It's like him trying to play Falco with a Wiimote LOL

Also ADHD instead of telling MK players to stay away, why not rally the non MK people to try and come slay MK? Seriously everyone and their grandma knows MK is gonna dominate the hell out of the first MLG results, regardless of the reason/s, might as well try to do something about it that is productive lol

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Metaknights, don't go to mlg. Pro-banners will use this tournament as an excuse to ban your character when he already got all the top 10 spots in the first place before-hand ,lol.
This will be fun. :)

Too bad I can't go. I'd love to see this in person. :urg:

MLG_Deimos

<font color="dimgray"><b><i>MLG Administrator</i><
MLG DEIMOS...

Where you at? I need some answers pimp....
I understand everybodies opinions regarding the rule set that was released. And I understand that there are players with unanswered questions regarding the rules. I'll try to post a response to most of the common questions I see coming up such as the allowance of the default Wii remote, suicide penalties, timing out of matches, etc. Please be patient, and I will make another post as soon as I can with some of the answers or reasoning's for the rules.

MLG_Deimos

<font color="dimgray"><b><i>MLG Administrator</i><
1 question though- how many livestreams are there gonna be? just one? two? more!??!?!?!
The Livestream information for SSBB will be announced at a later time. Please stay tuned for more information.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Ok I want to state this first because it is important:

There needs to be a rule on scrogging at least. Failure to do so will cause something that is not pretty at MLG.

logically speaking, team attack will prolly be something that gets dealt with accordingly.

outside of that, this ruleset is bonkers.
it's like MLG wants to portray Brawl as this exciting game.

i will never understand why the given infinities get banned.

i also think its lol that you're allowed to plank so long as the time doesn't run out.
The infinite's are banned for the simple fact that it completely shuts down the opposing character from even having an attempt to succeed. It's logical.

For people who did not see this:

So heres the thing.

So some notes:

Personally, I question the stage selection, as many others. The wii-mote issue is not surprising to me, as I stated in the MLG thread that it will simply not happen due to the amount of wireless activity that will occur. This isn't a local, and because of that there will be about 200 wii's going off at one time. While not every station will be using one, there will be a fair amount if they allow the rule. because of the possible confusion, it can delay matches, and because of the amount of events that are happening, this is one of the last things they need. The only real issue I have with the wii-mote rule is that they informed people so late about it, and because of that people who are used to the wii-mote can't adjust to another controller.

I am not the person to normally complain, unless there is something wrong, and I apply this here. They are setting a standard and it will be adjusted as time goes by, like everything else. You can't say when we first made this game we had the rules right from the start. You should also note that there are going to be rules that will not suit everyone's need. By going against it, it is like you are arguing with your boss about how to do HIS job, and saying that he should be doing this, that, and the 3rd. Like I said, while I question the stage selection (because I think it is heavily leaning to certain characters) I think it is worth a shot before turning it down. I say this a lot, and the people who normally read what I write in the MK discussion or else where

"Only testing will prove results, not the speculation of theory"

It really is the only way to see if it will work or not.

There needs to be a rule on scrogging at least. Failure to do so will cause something that is not pretty at MLG.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Scrogging is the Jogging Version of Scrooging.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
I understand everybodies opinions regarding the rule set that was released. And I understand that there are players with unanswered questions regarding the rules. I'll try to post a response to most of the common questions I see coming up such as the allowance of the default Wii remote, suicide penalties, timing out of matches, etc. Please be patient, and I will make another post as soon as I can with some of the answers or reasoning's for the rules.
thanks and i'll be waiting patently :S praying that my wii-mote is allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom