• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Melee Thread - Updated Summer 2016 Power Rankings!

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Ottawa Melee Monthly

What it is

* A tournament regularly held in Ottawa at least once a Month. The first monthly will include Singles, Low Tier Singles, Doubles, and Low Tier Doubles.
* Entry fee is $3 for Singles, $1 for Low Tier Singles, and $4 each team for Doubles.
* All events will be Double Elimination with regular sets being best of 3, and Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals being best of 5.
* For any questions or concerns, speak to one of the Tournament Organisers BL!TZ and PND.
* First monthly will be held on April 24 at BL!TZ's house. PM BL!TZ for the address.
* Please tell either Tournament Organiser whether you are interested in entering. Even if you may need to pull out, we would like to have a list of people who may be attending. During the last week BL!TZ will PM everybody asking for their confirmation.

Schedule

11:00 am - House will be open at 11:00 am for friendlies.
1:00 pm - Low Tier Singles will start.
3:45 pm/4:00 pm - Doubles will start.
15 minute break - After Doubles finish.
After break is done - Singles will start.
9:00 pm - Everybody must leave, sorry.

Stage List

Starter Stages:

* Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stages:

* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

* Items are set to off.
* Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
* Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
* The Tournament Organisers are the arbiter of all disputes.
* Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
* Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
* Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages.
* Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match with 1 stock. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
* Pausing during a match is not allowed and will result in a disqualification if deemed necessary by the opposing player and Tournament Organiser.
* Rage quitting will considered a loss of the match. It may result in the loss of the set if the initiating player chooses.
* Stalling will result in a disqualification at the discretion of the Tournament Organisers. For the purpose of this tournament, Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable.
* Wobbling is not banned. However doing so past 250% will be considered stalling, and will result in a disqualification.

Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 1 2 order. Note: Order is decided by port priority, with 1 having more priority and 2 having less. In the event of a port disagreement, both players play rock paper scissors with the winner given the choice.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

General Notes

* Players are responsible for:

1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
2. Entrance fees
3. Arriving on time
4. Maintaining personal hygiene
5. Controllers and character knowledge
6. Not being late for their set. I don't even know how you would be, unless you leave for lunch in between sets.

* The Tournament Organisers can kick you out at any time from the tournament and the house, but you probably won't unless you're a douche.
* You can John as much as you like, it doesn't change the fact you lost though.
* Don't be too slow when stage striking and counter picking. It should take 30 seconds maximum.
* For all Melee tournaments, use of the character Master Hand is banned.

Note: Rule set is taken heavily from Melee Back Room Ruleset though changes have been made.

Low Tier Specific Rules

* Low Tiers and Bottom Tiers only!
* Zelda may not turn into Sheik. In the event she does so during a set, the initiating player will receive a warning and she must change back immediately. If she does so a second time, the player is disqualified for the set.
* If both players agree, a single Ice Climber may be used during a set. However, the following instructions must be followed.

1. Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar may not be picked.
2. Character selection must occur before Stage selection.
3. The Ice Climber player(s) will have 10 seconds to remove the second Ice Climber.
4. The opposing player must not interfere with his opponent. They must also be at the other side of the stage close to the edge.
5. The moment the second Ice Climber is removed from play, the players commence the battle.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 every time the Ice Climber loses a stock.
7. Failing to comply with any of the steps may result in a disqualification of the match at the discretion of the opposing player and TO.

Currently registered

* This is a current list of people who may be attending. Entrants will be confirmed during the last week before the tournament.
* Unconfirmed entrants have an asterisk (*) in front of their name.
* The events the entrants will attend will be decided on the day of the tournament.

Entrants:

1. BL!TZ
2. Florence
3. M3GA
4. PND
5. Cman
6. Vanitas
7. LivewiresXe
8. Wak
9. Linkshot
10. *GanonPWN!
11. *chlor0form
12. *Elie
13. *BananaTrooper
14. *HiDef

Setups

BL!TZ - 2 TVs + 1 Gamecube + 1 Wii + 2 Memory Cards + 1 SSBM
LivewiresXe - 1 SSBM
Linkshot - 1 TV + 1 Gamecube + 1 Memory Card + 1 SSBM
PND - 1 TV + 1 Gamecube + 1 Memory Card + 1 SSBM

There are four setups in total.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
lol, I can understand what you mean. I actually do enjoy playing with all the banned stuff once in a while as long as people aren't doing the stuff that makes them banned. I'll probably CP you Great Bay since you don't mind, but I won't be a ***** and use DK.

Edit: Yay, I can change my avatar now.

PND

Smash Champion
Yeah, I can help TO. I'll even make brackets if need be.

EDIT: Can you guys see my avatar? It seemed to disappear on me.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Okay thanks a lot. I'll add you as TO in the post. I'll need you to make sure I don't do anything stupid, lol.

Edit: I don't see a lot of people's. Mine had disappeared to. But I replaced it so it doesn't matter. You may have to re-upload yours.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Something wiped all the avatars, but the feature is working again.

EDIT: Great Bay sounds good. I'll try not to purposely hit you into the ceiling XD
Alright, I think I might CP that in Low tiers if I face you but probably not in regular Singles. Assuming I get to CP you. I'll probably be okay with you CPing most of the stages.

Looks like it's new avatar time then.

Oh yeah, great news. I got my cast off today.
That's great to hear!

Edit: The rules I posted aren't final, I'll need to tweak some things. I'll probably ask you people for some input.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Alright, sounds good. I think we should wait until the day of before we make brackets, since people may decide to show up last minute.

First thing I'd like to ask is should pause be turned off altogether? By doing so, people won't accidentally pause, rage quit, and not let you have your victory cry. On the other hand, if people make a mistake by picking the wrong stage, it takes longer to go back. You can L + R + A + Start if you are quick though. I don't want it on personally but I thought it would be better to ask.

Also, I'll update the rule about stalling so it's clearer and more definitive. Or I'll do my best to do so.

Edit: On a side note, I'm not sure if we should continue doing the Smash Leagues or not. I like it but people aren't finishing their matches, and I would like a frequent tournament better.

Edit 2: Then again, the League could allow us to be more experimental since there is no money involved. Only people's honour. Maybe we should have a wider stage list next time for the League and a smaller one for tournaments.

PND

Smash Champion
I think pause should be left on, I doubt any of us are going abuse it to douchebag proportions. Plus in the scenario something happens (someone sits on a remote and changes the channel, someone walks in front of the TV) the match can be paused usually without serious harm done.

And sorry about holding up our house, I'll get all my matches in next fest / tourney.

PND

Smash Champion
If we continue with the league, I vote we create one giant house. This way everyone gets the chance to play each other and the lower tiered players can get the necessary experience to improve.

For a prize? Allow the league champ to show it off (re: brag) in their sig or something, ie. Ottawa's #1 Player, January - March 2010. Maybe donate some space in the first post celebrating their awesomeness. Mostly just a pride thing

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Like what Linkshot and Vanitas said, Charlesz does it all the ****ing time EXCEPT WHEN HE WINS. I'M CALLING YOU OUT CHARLESZ. I DON'T CARE IF YOUR HERO DOES IT, IT DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT IT'S ANNOYING AS HELL.

However, because of the reasons that everybody gave, pausing will be left on only for emergencies. Doing so for no reason however will result in a disqualification for the set. How does that sound?

I'll make a list of the stall tactics that will be banned. Using them for stalling will also result in a disqualification for the set.

I like the idea of having a giant house, but then again I also like the idea of waiting until we're a bit larger than we are now. I'm not sure about it though. Having space in the first post would be a good idea as a reward. It's definitely a pride thing.

People can start signing up for the tournament now. I may ask for a confirmation closer to the date.

Edit: It's at my house by the way, PM me for the address.

PND

Smash Champion
Sign me up. :)

If you want Chris (or anyone else who is interested) I can show you guys how to properly seed and create double elim brackets, either by tio or by hand. This would help out in the future if I'm not able to attend.

The DQ rule sounds fair, but I think it should be noted that it will only result in a DQ if the opposing player or T.O. deems it appropriate to do so. I personally don't care about pause ragequits, I find them hilarious. . . So if Charlez pause ragequits on me I wouldn't want it to DQ him from the set. I can understand how others would be offended though.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Alright, that would be great thanks! :)

Ya, that makes sense. I'll point it out in the rules.

@ Vanitas: You may want to check frequently for when I make changes. Or even easier, just link to the post and I can remove conversation stuff. http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9907169&postcount=1364

Edit: Rage quitting is annoying but it won't be punished.

I'll make registration for Singles and Low Tier Singles separate. You want in the Low Tier Singles PND?

PND

Smash Champion
Yeah, totally. Now I just need to decide on a low tier. (I play a few, but I need to decide on which low tier to main)

Bracket making isn't terribly difficult but I can't effectively explain it without showing you visually. You'll pick it up in no time.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I've already decided on my Low Tier main. It's a secret though so I won't tell anybody.

I'm a visual learner so if you have to show it visually that's not a problem, lol. I've got Tio on this computer now, so you can show us in that or on paper or whatever.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
I think wobbling should be banned. It makes players of little skill become much better than they should be imo, and that's why I think it should be banned. Chu also thinks it should be banned fyi. You can think what you want but that's what we think (Chu told me this a few years ago)

Last Stand.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
lol, I saw that a while ago. M2K whines about everything he doesn't like and can't fight. He also makes **** up to justify himself. He thinks Jigglypuff is more worthy of a ban than Metaknight (though he hasn't said Jiggs should be banned). Most importantly, he wants Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise banned and that is just unforgivable.

Are you going to sign up for the Tournament by the way Charlesz?

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Alright, you're signed up Al.

I think Low Tiers will end up being for lolz at first, but then people might all of a sudden get serious about it. Then there will be drama when certain characters become mid tier, as people have to find a new low tier main when they don't think they should have to. I can't wait!

Edit: Is your secondary Low Tier main single Ice Climber?

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I don't know. Setting it up would give Ice Climbers a disadvantage, but I don't know if single Ice Climber is considered Low or Bottom Tier. We can try it anyways to see how good he/she would be. Just for lolz though. At least they couldn't wobble.

I might as well reveal my Low Tier main now. I'll be using Young Link because I tier ***** in Low Tier.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Haha, that's one of my low tiers I'm considering.
Young Link is pretty good, yo.

Another rule issue I should bring up now is regarding port priority. I believe when MBR made the stage striking rule, they had it in mind. I have seen posts about it. At the first page of this thread, they talk about it. Do people think that we should do stage strike selection order by port priority, or rock paper scissors? Also, do people agree with having the selection in a 1 2 2 1 order or should it be different?

Charlesz

Smash Champion
I personally think thats a weak arguement...just because it makes certain players more skilled doesnt justify why it should be banned.
Btw Chu said that YEARS ago...the metagame evolved since then :O
imo Chris is right, M2K does complain about alot of things..

Sign me up Chris for both tournaments! :)
BCGAYL is picking up a Secondary Low Tier for CPing. Otherwise his Low Tier main is MEWTWOOOO
Whatever you say. Just because the metagame has evolved doesn't change the fact that your stock is finished when you get grabbed. Plus I have never seen chu wobble except at a crew battle one time. Even when wobbling is legal he still doesn't wobble.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Here's how the infinite works: when you are hit while in a grab, you become stunned and cannot leave the grab. You also cannot escape the grab while being attacked by the player grabbing you. Because the IC's are two people, this lets them take advantage of this fact. In short, with good timing, you have both Ice Climbers alternating hits so the opponent cannot leave the grab.

This is from wobbles himself. I don't see " your opponent may be able to escape if they are less than 40%". It is plain and simple, you get grab and you cannot leave the grab.

M3GA

Smash Rookie
Whatever you say. Just because the metagame has evolved doesn't change the fact that your stock is finished when you get grabbed. Plus I have never seen chu wobble except at a crew battle one time. Even when wobbling is legal he still doesn't wobble.
Stop whining Charlesz. Fox is the best character in the game. With wobbling or without it.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
lol, I saw that a while ago. M2K whines about everything he doesn't like and can't fight. He also makes **** up to justify himself. He thinks Jigglypuff is more worthy of a ban than Metaknight (though he hasn't said Jiggs should be banned). Most importantly, he wants Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise banned and that is just unforgivable.

Are you going to sign up for the Tournament by the way Charlesz?
That is true, I ain't gonna lie lol. And nah I don't think I will sign up for the tourny, I'm probably on the Ottawa Smash Scene's most wanted list by now. I DONT WANT TO GET MUGGED!

Charlesz

Smash Champion
*Sigh, if all I'm doing is just causing chaos and arguements to the Ottawa Melee scene, I'll gladly leave if everyone thinks I should. If I can't get along with someone with the scene, what's the point of smashing when it was created for fun games to have with each other? I thought it was just a game but to someone else, it seems more than just a game to him to the point he would swear at me for such a trivial matter. Does everyone feel the need that I should leave the scene? Be honest.
This post is crazy. I feel wobbling is unfair so I argue against it. I don't see how one person can make you leave the scene. If you haven't noticed it has been Man vs Society, with me being that man. Plus I swear all time.

Top Bottom