• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dynamism needs a character.

Who should Dynamism use?

• Total voters

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
James asked me to make a poll to help him decide on a character to use in Melee lol.

Feel free to vote for more than 1 character. Limit of 3 please.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Any input would be helpful, or reasoning why.

I just need help. :(

This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make in smash hahahah

<3 Victra

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Doc, because there has been a decent amount of hype for him lately, does alright vs spacies and good vs jiggs, is a cool character and isn't common.

idea

Smash Master
since there are so many, maybe you should try to narrow it down to three or so. one of which should be falcon <_<

another could be fox probably since he's so variable. hmm...peach could also work. luigi seems so vulnerable to camping and projectiles that i just think too much tournament play with him would annoy you after a while.

hmm...marth and doc both seem like good options too. i dunno. does any one stand out as the most "comfortable"? or the most "satisfying"?

edit: oh yeah, and i remember you having a good pikachu too =P

Crispii

Smash Rookie
Obviously Luigi. He's got the speed you need to compete, his high pri aerials counter top tiers, people don't know the matchup nearly as well as anyone else you play, plus it means you're at the frontlines of character development. Anyone else and you'll be struggling to catch up with the best before you can define new limits and possibilities for the character. With Luigi, you're already at the top, which puts you in the unique position of being able to define him as a legitimate competitor. In this way, you'll also be giving the most back to the community by expanding the competitive roster, and showing that there's life outside the top tiers.

You'll move the game forward the most by being different from others, and that seems definitively James to me.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
I think you should just stick to a character that feels the most like you feel

I mean I absolutely love falcon and falco

but i don't main them because 1)i love metroid, and 2) because samus just feels right to me

I can't vote because I just don't know what that is for you

you've probably already mulled this over in your head like this, but i hope it helps anyways

GOD!

Smash Ace
Just use whomever you want to.

Don't let other people tell you who you should use. Just play someone who you like and is fun to play.

If you are going to ask people, then ask the people who you play with locally (well I guess this is kind of the same thing, but you posted in the fox boards too).

HugS™

Smash Lord
Everyone naturally gravitates towards a character they'd like to main.

There are a select few out there who can't seem to do this no matter how hard they try. You may be one of those players who won't be able to dig too deeply into a single character, but will manage to apply a somewhat shallow style with each character and gain success through a variety of characters rather than one highly developed main.

You'll be like an Azen/DJ Nintendo/NinjaLink(brawl) type of player I guess.

I say keep playing as you've been playing, no main, just whoever you feel like playing at the moment.

The only downside is that if you're not amazing, you'll have a harder time improving as quickly.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Thanks for the input everyone. Quick response in many ways, poll included, thanks. :D

Whoever I want is all of them. I've been through all of the discussions and personal debates, peer questioning and the works over the last 6 months. This is the only way. I don't really care who I end up going with because they're all fun, the only thing I'll miss is playing as the others. I just can't decide who to abandon so I'm putting my fate in everyone else's hands. That's all really.

The last 4 days, I've played 5 different people.
1 said to main Peach when playing against him and Samus otherwise.
1 said to main Luigi and stay with one of the characters nobody else plays around here.
1 said to main Falcon cause it's freakin FALCON and exiting.
1 said to main Fox since it's so funny to watch but somehow does ok.
1 said they'd be scurred if I mained Pika but others would be good too.

That's not an exageration, that's the exact feedback over 4 days with locals. XD
That's how it's been for months...

I really just should accept any and all annonimous and meaningless votes and I'll just take the top few whoever they are, no exceptions...but what if it's only 1 vote differences or they're all tied. This is soooo hard. :(

Hugs, that's some of the best advice I've heard and I've only heard it recently and from very smart people. It's come down to that or this random voting thing. I want to give this a try, but that's what I'd be falling back on.

I like how you said 'shallow style' hahahah
I've only ever heard the opposite about my playing, so hopefully if I do put some effort into becoming 'amazing' like others have, all I can try to do is keep playing so entertainingly in that time.
As well, improving rapidly and significantly in short amounts of playtime has never been a problem for me. So that's not so much a concern as travelling the great distances I have to just to get that playtime in. I just hope that will be more frequent as I start putting the effort in.

Thanks again.

idea

Smash Master
maybe it's a bit much to main and keep up with...*counts* 11 characters, but 2-4 is still pretty manageable. that would also let you have one or two weird low tiers and one or two overall better high tiers, so you'd be covered for more cases in tournament. ("this guy won't know the pikachu matchup" or "this guy plays marth, sooo sheiklawl")

SmashMac

Smash Lord
I'd use Doc. as a main. He's a good overall character, which is why he's where he's at on the tier-list. You do have a solid chance against most characters higher tier than you, as long as you know the match-up. Backup characters should be Fox, and Marth. Fox should probably be your second and most used besides Doc. because of the versatility his move-set offers. With Fox you can do anything (gimp, combo, take advantage of bad habits, camp ... you name it). Marth should be a "just-in-case" type character, where if you have no clue how to play against a certain character, just pick Marth and play very smart and space all of your moves, and take advantage of your opponents bad habits.

What I did was I first learned Doc.'s match-ups. I got a solid knowledge base for all of them. Then as time went on I picked up Fox, Marth and Captain Falcon (Falco was my first main so didn't have to pick up him up). With Fox and Marth, you get the best of learning both worlds. With Fox it starts off with technical stuff like combos, quick-gimps ... where as with Marth you will get into spacing, reading peoples bad habits, gimps, and CGing. If you can be a smart, technical player and can space your moves, while reading your opponents every mistake and taking advantage of them, you can be a great player. "Mindgames" is just using all of these at the same time to make your opponent do what you want them to do, and be where you want them to be.

Rappster

Smash Ace
i'd say pika cause low tier tournaments, as well as no one knowing the mu (unless they live in AZ).
Doc is also good. relativeLy underplayed, fairly good against most top tiers.
Finally, EVERYBODY should have a pocket shiek for when you need to gay ppl to death.

booshk

Smash Lord
james, i say if you have a passion to play who you want, i would say main luigi. he is your most comfortable character right ? but if you're looking to play competitively i'd say pick a high tier character which you already have knowledge about, so you can do well in tournies.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
holy crap why is this poll so intense.

so many people voted o.o

hugs and smashmac oshi

ThePrime

Smash Lord
From the friendlies we played I think you should play luigi. He seems to fit your creative playstyle. Your consistency yet unpredictability is not only one trait you have as a player, but also plays toward luigi's advantages as a character.

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Idea : Yeah 11 is at least double what I should be doing right now, and ever. I'll have plenty of diversity no matter who I keep, so that's not really a problem. The question is WHICH of these 11 should be the 2-4 you're suggesting on keeping. lol

SmashMac : It took a while for me to pick up Doc but I've slowly stopped playing my Doc as a Luigi (lol) and really see a lot in him. Enough worth keeping him in high regard, but having him more than others is the tough choice to make.

Thanks for your story and thoughts, though you seem to be thinking in terms of someone who's learning 'smash' and is deciding on their first character in terms of the way your post would help someone. The only reason I EVER win against high level and experienced, intelligent players is because I've grown good at 'smash' in general and BAD at 'the character' I play. That's really of no concern, just focusing myself into specifics is the troubleshooting task at this point.

Spacing, chasing, all of that isn't a problem and I can apply the way each character roughly goes about it, it's just those specifics (like knowing Docs match ups well as you suggested) that I have NO idea about. Hence every match is something new to me. Really, I just want to get a familiar feeling when I play as a character instead of 'oh yeah, unlike those other 10, this character is decent in this way so I'll try remembering how that works by the end of this match' lol

As well, having Fox/Falcon/some sort of good back up and well rounded safety is a given. I will have those and thanks for pointing that out.
In fact, right now all I have is those. LOL

luigi is hella gay crisp
Don't be mean to Crispy just cuz you're annoyed at how he knocked you out of doubles at his first tourney in years...
Or how you're scurred of my weegee after what you saw in the MM at your house... Sions Flaco is just breakfast, the world will crumble by dinner time! (metaphorically) MUHAHAH

falcon or weegee if winning isnt super important.
... poor falcon and luigi, what did they ever do to you :(
I'll win with any character, but thanks for your concern and consideration for me winning. ;)

james, i say if you have a passion to play who you want, i would say main luigi. he is your most comfortable character right ? but if you're looking to play competitively i'd say pick a high tier character which you already have knowledge about, so you can do well in tournies.
WESLEEEY!!! All of these characters are high tier according to me!!! hahahah >:[

I don't have much in detailed knowledge, that would come with playing a single character more than 10% of the time (I guess right now I play each about 9.1% of the time hahaha) but I do know a fair bit about everything on a broad range.

And I can do well in any tourney, really REALLY well, but that would mean not using 11 different characters in a row hoping I won't be poorly suited in every third game throughout a tourney. Up to now, that's been a bit of a burden. LOL

Edit: HAHAHA I just remembered something!
You were the first Shiek I EVER played against as Falcon, in tourney, you 3/4 stocked me! HAHAHAH
Right after I 3/4 stocked you with Luigi too! HAHAHAHAH
Then I 3 stocked Tony with my Falcon in an MM afterwards (like wtf)
And my Luigi got ***** by some noobs in doubles!!!
HAHAHAH

That's a PERFECT example of how ****ed up my match up knowledge/experience is!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

From the friendlies we played I think you should play luigi. He seems to fit your creative playstyle. Your consistency yet unpredictability is not only one trait you have as a player, but also plays toward luigi's advantages as a character.
Thanks, that's very good reasoning, and Luigi seems to be getting a lot of votes. :p
Though that 'style' is quite applicable to every character to some extent, and being creative comes in many forms. Sounds good though. See you July 10th? LOL

just play fox? ez game.
I don't know how good Foxy's ever lose.
...um... I was just gonna rant about my thoughts on how good Foxy's piss me off by being silly, but I'll restrain myself. >:[

<3 hahaha

MM on the 10th Tony?

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
holy crap why is this poll so intense.

so many people voted o.o

hugs and smashmac oshi
It's actually funny in that none here save probably a few who know me actually know how significant this decision is, not just for me individually.

Or maybe these people do know something, somehow, that not many others do. The others will in time though, that's garaunteed. ;)

And who are you Imagination? And why do you know that?? HAHAH

booshk

Smash Lord
you 3-stocked my marth with your weegee(frickin luigi LOL) and i 4-stocked your falcon with my sheik :p
dude if you 3stocked dieslow with your weegee.. that means i can SEVEN STOCK HIM
LOL jk. i'd get destroyed.

see how clueless i am to other matchups as well :( i love marth though. next time we play im going sheik/fox all the way though! : )

iuno man, go falcon or weegee lOL :p

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
you 3-stocked my marth with your weegee(frickin luigi LOL) and i 4-stocked your falcon with my sheik :p
dude if you 3stocked dieslow with your FALCON.. that means i can SEVEN STOCK HIM

see how clueless i am to other matchups as well :( i love marth though. next time we play im going sheik/fox all the way though! : )
lol too funny
Fixed to Falcon. LOL yeah 7 stock is so future you if you play better and more!
If you like Marth, why not play him too?

I didn't see kirby m2 or pichu. wtf man, limit yourself more why doncha
Sorry, I'm afraid they're just too good for me. :(

booshk

Smash Lord
marth is my main man :)
im very comfortable with him, not against weirdass huge WD luigi though LOL no idea what to do.
im trying to bring my sheik and fox up to par, but theyre not really :(

i will!!!!!!!!!! LOL
july 10 man gonna practise so much :)

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
LMAO Kaelen your sig is so good! XD
Are you free tomorrow? I'm moving back tonight.

It takes work to get used to playing other characters if you've never played with lots before.
When I forced myself to go Luigi for like 6 months, it took a LONG time to stop playing EVERY character just like Luigi (no DD or shffling and never leaving the ground, etc) but when it clicks, you'll get it. Just takes some work.

Shiek and Fox are almost opposites too. One loves being close but has no range and uses speed to get there then combos into kill moves really fast. The other loves being close but can't get there so just walls people off with gayness and tries to push them to the edge quickly. If you could get both of them down then you'll REALLY understand this game and why it works the way it does. :D

Good variety though. Marth Fox Shiek and the rest. It's amazing how this game is so balanced XD

Top Bottom