• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I guess ICs are "S Tier" now :) / :( ?

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I'm going to my first tourney in a longgggg time this weekend. O:
But my controller is broken. So I'm gonna have to do something about that. :|

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I really do wanna visit Texas one day though. That's why I wanna get top 16 at MLG. X.x

Teh Future

Smash Master
I will probably be at dallas. not sure about the NC one but I would like to go to either that, apex, or supercon.

They are all far away though am Im not sure who else from stl would want to go.

Anyways the first circuit event for my region is this weekend, Im hoping to do well. Wish me luck!

Teh Future

Smash Master
crashboards erased my post =(

Anyways:

-will prob be at mlg dallas

- trying to go to either apex, mlg NC, or supercon. not sure though

the first circuit event for my region is this weekend. wish me luck cause I will be trying mah hardest!

I will even try on gay counterpicks now LOL

Teh Future

Smash Master
crashboards erased my post =(

Anyways:

-will prob be at mlg dallas

- trying to go to either apex, mlg NC, or supercon. not sure though

the first circuit event for my region is this weekend. wish me luck cause I will be trying mah hardest!

I will even try on gay counterpicks now LOL

ch33s3

Smash Lord
I'll be at Supercon, Raleigh, and Dallas for sure.

Anyways, I'm sure this is old and known, but I was playing around with ISSDI while practicing CGs, and it seems that if you hold towards your opponent as you grab (if you're properly ISSDI'ing), you continue to slide towards them while your shield drops, good for those moves that push you JUST out of range and don't give you enough time for good ISSDI.

Probs old, but figured I should mention it.

inb4crashboardsmakesmepostthis2times.

00-Zero

Smash Journeyman
Lol what? I thought ISSDI had to do with using the c-stick like SDI. I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying.
But for moves that don't hit enough for ISSDI but have a grip of hitlag on shield, I'll just spot dodge immediately after it connects with my shield to negate the sliding effect.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Let's see....none of the above D;

Apex I got Otakon the week after, so I lack the funds
MLG Raleigh I was planning on going to, but have to start college (coming up to NYC)
MLG Dallas uhhh.....doubt i'll have enough money for the trip

Basically if the finals are back in the meadowlands, i'll be there.

You should all come to 0mni's tourney on the 17th in Baltimore though ;D

...or you know, #####

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
no, see, i don't think you do... MY song is an expression of feeling towards nana and how much hate she can generate. its also a commentary on their play style and over all relationship.

Your song is a stupid joke that has the word "ice" in it and lack any other references to the ICs. in short, you have no idea whats going on.

Aglow

Smash Journeyman
RAAAAAGEEEEEEEEEEEe.

And, um, "no children was kind of raw". Like. Really raw. Like, more raw than ice climbers angst raw. But thanks for sharing. I like folk.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Alright Frozen, let's not be pretentious and assume your opinion is fact and a disagreement with it makes me ignorant. To preface, my original post was just a joke, and not meant for you to take it personally. However, by stating I "have no idea what's going on", you made it personal. As such, I will state the merits of both negating from your resolution as well as building upon my own.

I'm sure we can agree that the highest value for the theme song would have to be relevance. Therefore, it is reasonable to conclude that the most relevant song to the IC's would serve as the proper theme song.

As a criteria of determining relevancy, I will be using deconstruction of song lyrics.

To begin, I will first dissect the content of your suggested theme song's content and determine its relevant and irrelevant lines.

"I hope that our few remaining friends
Give up on trying to save us
I hope we come out with a fail-safe plot
To piss off the dumb few that forgave us"
The most relevant line in this one would perhaps be "Give up on trying to save us". However, that is most likely not the case in the sense that the line is applied to a plural group. IF it were to apply to the Ice Climbers, it would state "save her", in terms of saving Nana.

"I hope we come out with a fail-plot" is relevant. The rest, not so much.

I hope the fences we mended
Fall down beneath their own weight
And I hope we hang on past the last exit
I hope it's already too late
The song moves to more figurative language here. The fences and exits mentioned in the song are strictly metaphorical, and really have nothing to do with the Ice Climber dynamic. In terms of applying to Ice climbers, the only relevant thing might allow the fences to reference Blizzard walling. It's a weak analogy at best.

And I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here
Someday burns down
And I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away
And I never come back to this town again in my life
If there is an application that I am missing here, I don't see it. This is just figurative poetic device that does not really apply to the climbers.

I hope I lie
And tell everyone you were a good wife
And I hope you die
I hope we both die
This part of the song clearly shows that this song is not a reference to the Ice Climbers. Nana and Popo are brother and sister. They are not husband and wife. Suggesting this as the theme song would be advocating our support to an incestuous couple.

I hope I cut myself shaving tomorrow
I hope it bleeds all day long
Our friends say it's darkest before the sun rises
We're pretty sure they're all wrong

I hope it stays dark forever
I hope the worst isn't over
And I hope you blink before I do
And I hope I never get sober
Most of the poetic value for this verse comes from the idea that the two are in love beyond all challenges. Yet this is really applicable to the marriage bond, not so much the familial bond. The familial bond is incest level creepy.

And I hope when you think of me years down the line
You can't find one good thing to say
And I'd hope that if I found the strength to walk out
You'd stay the hell out of my way
This doesn't necessarily work either. When desynced, Nana has the tethered physics that drag her with you. Also, upon being separated, she runs back to you. Quite the opposite of staying the hell out of the way.

I am drowning
There is no sign of land
You are coming down with me
Hand in unlovable hand
This sentiment also doesn't really apply. For the most part, opponents will center their tactics on killing Nana first, and then Popo. Therefore, the line should read "I am coming down with you," for it to apply to the Ice Climbers. Just because when Popo dies Nana disappears is not justification to say that Nana is "going down" with Popo. The fate of Nana after the death of Popo is left vague, perhaps intentionally by the game creators.

And I hope you die
I hope we both die
I'd hope that you'd hope you would live. And I hope you would hope that Nana lives too.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Ice Ice Baby
Ice Ice Baby
All right stop
Collaborate and listen
Ice is back with my brand new invention
Something grabs a hold of me tightly
Flowin like a harpoon daily and nightly
Will it ever stop?
Yo--I don't know
Turn off the lights and I'll glow
To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal
Light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.
There is reference to the pair collaborating. Something grabbing a hold of an opponent tightly, is also mentioned. Perhaps that might be in regard to the sensation of being grabbed 0-death by a flowing daily and nightly chain grab? However, the chain grabs might stop, but before they do, the act of down throw on the chain grab actually makes the stage light up on the ground.

Dance

Bum rush the speaker that booms
I'm killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
Deadly, when I play a dope melody
Anything less than the best is a felony
Love it or leave it
You better gain way
You better hit bull's eye
The kid dont play
If there was a problem
Yo, I'll solve it
Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
Dash dance desync into a rush, possibly an ice block chaser. Once you grab, the rhythm for pulling chain grabs is much like playing an instrument. Also, because there are two IC's, they are very versatile in solving many problems that other characters face (i.e. landing lag). So if your opponent doesn't hit the bullseye on you, he is getting hooked into a grab, and insert that chain grab rhythm.

Ice Ice Baby Vanilla (4X)
Now that the party is jumping
With the bass kicked in, the Vegas are pumpin'
Quick to the point, to the point no faking
Cooking MC's like a pound of bacon
Burning 'em if they're ain't quick and nimble
I go crazy when I hear a cymbal
And a hi hat with a souped up tempo
I'm on a roll and it's time to go solo
The relevant points here concerns your opponents again. IF they aren't quick and nimble, they are going to get grabbed. It also makes a clear cut reference to going SoPo.

Rollin in my 5.0
With my ragtop down so my hair can blow
The girlies on standby
Waving just to say HI
Did you stop?
No--I just drove by
Kept on pursuing to the next stop
I bust a left and I'm heading to the next block
That block was dead
The reference involves the Ice climbers jumping up and down and waving taunt. Also, the last two lines could refer to Ice Blocks.

Yo--so I continued to A1A Beachfront Ave.
Girls were hot wearing less than bikinis
Rockman lovers driving Lamborghinis
Jealous 'cause I'm out getting mine
Shay with a guage and Vanilla with a nine
Reading for the chumps on the wall
The Chumps are acting ill because they're so full of eight balls
Gunshots ranged out like a bell
I grabbed my nine--
All I heard were shells
Fallin on the concrete real fast
Jumped in my car, slammed on the gas
Bumper to bumper the avenue's packed
I'm tryin to get away before the jackers jack
Police on the scene
You know what I mean
They passed me up, confronted all the dope fiends
If there was a problem
Yo, I'll solve it
Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it
Take heed, 'cause I'm a lyrical poet
Miami's on the scene just in case you didn't know it
My town, that created all the bass sound
Enough to shake and kick holes in the ground
'Cause my style's like a chemical spill
Feasible rhymes that you can vision and feel
Conducted and formed
It's a hell of a concept
We make it hype and you want to step with this
Shay palays on the fade, sliced like a ninja
Cut like a razor blade so fast
Other DJ's say, "****"
If my rhyme was a drug
I'd sell it by the gram
Keep my composure when it's time to get loose
Magnetized by the mic while I kick my juice
If there was a problem
Yo--I'll solve it!
Check out the hook while Deshay revolves it.
Yo man--let's get out of here!
Word to your mother!
Ice Ice baby Too Cold
Ice Ice baby Too Cold Too cold (3X)
I'll be honest, the rest doesn't really apply, but I feel that I've built a stronger connection than your song by now.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
The most relevant line in this one would perhaps be "Give up on trying to save us". However, that is most likely not the case in the sense that the line is applied to a plural group. IF it were to apply to the Ice Climbers, it would state "save her", in terms of saving Nana.

"I hope we come out with a fail-plot" is relevant. The rest, not so much.
you analysis is interesting. however, when applied to the IC player interacting with their friends/community, the use of CGs against your friends may be enough for them to rage, leave, and not support you in future matches due to your actions. similarly, if you are then accused of using "cheap tactics", your friends will most likely still be pissed at being caught in an infinite (in tourney or friendlies) that they won't jump in and defend you.

The song moves to more figurative language here. The fences and exits mentioned in the song are strictly metaphorical, and really have nothing to do with the Ice Climber dynamic. In terms of applying to Ice climbers, the only relevant thing might allow the fences to reference Blizzard walling. It's a weak analogy at best.
again, commenting on the players and their own "mended fences". if you infinite every chance you get, its not going to be long before people just stop playing with you.

If there is an application that I am missing here, I don't see it. This is just figurative poetic device that does not really apply to the climbers.
this is actually the first true application to the ICs themselves in reference to nana killing herself/doing stupid things. Its an expression of exasperation and a desire to just leave your partner (nana) behind all together.

This part of the song clearly shows that this song is not a reference to the Ice Climbers. Nana and Popo are brother and sister. They are not husband and wife. Suggesting this as the theme song would be advocating our support to an incestuous couple.
their relationship has never actually been defined. on the original melee site they were described as "more than friends, but not quite lovers". your argument here is null.

furthermore, this segment is a great description of playing ICs. following a victory, you can praise her for being a huge help, but deep down you know she's a large hinderance that can hurt you severely with just a single mess up. you lie and tell the other person that she's a god send, but you know she's really a *****.

Most of the poetic value for this verse comes from the idea that the two are in love beyond all challenges. Yet this is really applicable to the marriage bond, not so much the familial bond. The familial bond is incest level creepy.
again, they aren't brother and sister. nowhere does it ever say that. in all of the nintendo archives they are never referenced as being brother and sister.

This doesn't necessarily work either. When desynced, Nana has the tethered physics that drag her with you. Also, upon being separated, she runs back to you. Quite the opposite of staying the hell out of the way.
to a point. i've had plenty of times when nana will just randomly jump into an attack/run off the side. her suicidal nature definitely qualifies for this part as well as the rage expressed when she does so.

This sentiment also doesn't really apply. For the most part, opponents will center their tactics on killing Nana first, and then Popo. Therefore, the line should read "I am coming down with you," for it to apply to the Ice Climbers. Just because when Popo dies Nana disappears is not justification to say that Nana is "going down" with Popo. The fate of Nana after the death of Popo is left vague, perhaps intentionally by the game creators.
when popo dies, so does nana. whats confusing about that?

I'd hope that you'd hope you would live. And I hope you would hope that Nana lives too.
you don't seem to have played long enough to feel the sufficient amount of rage needed to understand this. believe me, when you have money on the line and she does something stupid to get you both killed, you will want her dead.

ice, ice baby >_>

Top Bottom