• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rule #2: Never listen to Fino +1

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
(And you talk about your jokes being overlooked? ^^; )

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Beef you're my favorite Dedede X:

But yeah, people are most likely going to start trying out Olimar more now, but quitting half way like most people do. Especially people that try to pick him up as a secondary. People that pick up Olimar because they like what he's capable of don't last nearly as long or do nearly as well as those that pick him up because they like his play style.
Totally agree with you, Hilt. The only people that stick with Olimar are the people that actually like him. Not people that want to play him because he's good. Not the people that want to be like Brood. Only those who genuinely like the character are going to have the gaul to stick with him through thick and thin.

(Hell, I LOVE the guy and I've played him since January and even I've gotten disheartened a couple times.)

I've already watched enough to see that Brood wasn't playing his usual style. A huge giveaway was how he ran in to Chibo and shielded at 1:20 - he just doesn't do that. I'm sticking with my theory that he was just testing different playstyles on an American Smasher.

You can also look at how he plucks pikmin. In matches where he's going all out, he picks his pikmin in a more sporadic manner, as in he plucks a pikmin, dashes somewhere else, plucks another, etc. I've noticed in all of the games where he lost that he just plucked pikmin in place. I'm not 100% on if this is a pattern in all of his videos, but it appears to be so far.

He also died to an obvious bair at 1:45 that even a rookie Olimar could have whistled. He was sandbagging. (Side note, you can see this same "rookie mistake" in game one against M2K - he's gets easily juggled by uairs on his third stock, but in game two you can see he both knows how to whistle a Uair and knows to whistle the Dair that immediately follows it. He was sandbagging guys.)

Turazrok

Smash Master
I said it because you know, he's pointing and the Pikmin are there looking...

never mind. Joke overlooked.

@Sky Pirate, I do not know if they were trolling me or not though.
I would've been more open to it if you had said pikmin instead of olimars, or the picture had dabuz' richbrown's and logic's faces on them.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I kept on watching this Chibo v. Brood set. People really think he wasn't sandbagging? He makes so many rookie mistakes it's almost a joke reel. Brood doesn't make this many mistakes (like shooting a tether as soon as Chibo came back on screen, very far out of range).

edit @Turaz: but those three have nothing to teach that is new. Though they COULD teach Brood to Nair/Utilt Illusion.

it was a moderately humorous joke

edit: Ok, last note I'm gonna make to prove this. @3:25, Brood grabs Chibo with a purple pikmin and Chibo is at 129%. His Uthrow was entirely fresh. PURPLE UTHROW WOULD HAVE WON HIM THE GAME, PERIOD. Watch the video. He pauses, realizes this, and Dthrows instead.

I don't want to hear anyone assert that Brood wasn't sandbagging.

edit2: This is about the video, but not about him sandbagging. At the end of every stock, Brood arranged his pikmin using a combination of Dsmash, Usmash, and SideB. We need to look at what orders he commonly goes for and why.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I said it for all the "Brood da bess" talk. And the bandwagon jumping people are making for him.

A joke.

@Vocal, yeah I was thinking the same thing when I saw he didn't kill him.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
edit: Ok, last note I'm gonna make to prove this. @3:25, Brood grabs Chibo with a purple pikmin and Chibo is at 129%. His Uthrow was entirely fresh. PURPLE UTHROW WOULD HAVE WON HIM THE GAME, PERIOD. Watch the video. He pauses, realizes this, and Dthrows instead.

I don't want to hear anyone assert that Brood wasn't sandbagging.
No, Chibo knows the matchup like a bro and Brood doesn't. That's it. Brood may have not been going 100% during the match, but Chibo does know the matchup really well and he did legitimately win the set.

Brood not playing his normal style could have been due to a number of reasons.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I know he knows the mu well; he's got .Com to train against so I don't doubt that for a second. However, Brood makes a lot of rookie mistakes that aren't explained away by mu inexperience - he doesn't have to know ROB's metagame to know what his bair does and how to whistle it, for instance.

And how would you explain away him not going for the Uthrow kill?

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
i was honestly gonna start maining wario before i saw the amazing things brood did. I love olimar but never felt he could really win a tourny, but Brood has totally changed that mentalaty for me and im as determined as ever to increase my olimars skills, knowledge, and experince. This is exactly wat Amerian olimars needed to be shown so we can finally bring out olimars true potential that i always knew was inside that little slave driver!! XD

_lemons

Smash Journeyman
Hilt, you ****.

Also, Brood raaaaaaapes, wow. Most entertaining brawl vids I've seen in a while (also basically the only brawl vids i've watched lately lol)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
i was honestly gonna start maining wario before i saw the amazing things brood did. I love olimar but never felt he could really win a tourny, but Brood has totally changed that mentalaty for me and im as determined as ever to increase my olimars skills, knowledge, and experince. This is exactly wat Amerian olimars needed to be shown so we can finally bring out olimars true potential that i always knew was inside that little slave driver!! XD
But what about all of our fantastic American Olis like Rich, Logic, and Dabuz? They win tourneys all the time, you meanie :(

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Beef you're my favorite Dedede X:

But yeah, people are most likely going to start trying out Olimar more now, but quitting half way like most people do. Especially people that try to pick him up as a secondary. People that pick up Olimar because they like what he's capable of don't last nearly as long or do nearly as well as those that pick him up because they like his play style.
omg that means a lot, thx :)
SoCal has had a HUGE decline in tournaments for the past two months, no joke, which has caused my sudden inactvity. They'll get it back up soon though, for sure.

Hah yeah they see Olimar's phenomenal ground game in play but once they're half way through the Olimar process, they start to get more aware of his horrible weaknesses lol.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
@Vocal: Actually I was wrong, uthrow would have killed him, lol. But maybe Brood didn't know, or maybe he didn't have time to notice the percent and react as well as know what percent it would have killed him at. My point is that we have no way of knowing why brood lost and it's not smart to write it off as him simply "sandbagging". There are too many things to factor in other than that. Chibo knows and played the matchup well. At least it looked like he did in that video. He kept good pressure on Brood exactly the way Rob is suppose to. M2K, Lee Martin, and Ally, did not do this. M2K did during the first game, but when he realized that Brood actually had what it takes to **** him up, he started playing patient and careful and didn't keep any pressure on Brood. And while this play style works on most characters with MK, it isn't at all how you should play against Olimar. Let Olimar get stage control and you're going to lose. And I feel that that was the major thing that Chibo did that the others didn't. He was able to keep constant pressure on Brood because he knew how to.

omg that means a lot, thx :)
SoCal has had a HUGE decline in tournaments for the past two months, no joke, which has caused my sudden inactvity. They'll get it back up soon though, for sure.

Hah yeah they see Olimar's phenomenal ground game in play but once they're half way through the Olimar process, they start to get more aware of his horrible weaknesses lol.
Exactly XD They want to do well but they hate the work and stress involved. Also yeah, I've heard that SoCal's tourney scene hasn't been as strong as it was. Are you not able to travel far very often?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I know it would have killed him ;) I highly doubt Brood just didn't know this, though; him not knowing something so elementary seems iffy to me.

But in the end you're right. It's pointless to try and analyze why Brood lost and Chibo won. Chibo's an amazing player, he's very good at the Oli MU, and now he gets a shiny new badge that say "I beat Apex's best Olimar" :D

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
But what about all of our fantastic American Olis like Rich, Logic, and Dabuz? They win tourneys all the time, you meanie :(
when i say "tourny" i mean ones like apex, ones that have the top players across all of america like m2k and ally ^^; my bad

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion

Exactly XD They want to do well but they hate the work and stress involved. Also yeah, I've heard that SoCal's tourney scene hasn't been as strong as it was. Are you not able to travel far very often?
Gah! Nope I'm not able to. I still don't have a car either because of money stuff. I feel like the one at fault now haahaa
I'm not quitting though of course, I'll stay in touch. No homo :)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Someone before mentioned that there might not be any Japanese ROB's. I just had a scary thought. Ocean is a ROB that became popular for his wave bounce tricks(This -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-QVc3pMoi8&playnext=1&videos=1pApgp-GmrU). Much like here with Brood, ROB's weren't necessarily happy with the meat riding that was happening (Ocean is the best ROB). We looked at other videos of him and really criticized him hard. It would be interesting to think that he would come to the US one day and out place all the ROB's.

Top Bottom