• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rule #2: Never listen to Fino +1

OverLade

Smash Hero
Yeah, of course M2K doesn't know the matchup, he didn't 3 stock Brood first round or anything...

Mabye Brood just decided he wasn't going to let the same thing work again? But wait, that would be outplaying him...and M2K is perfect and godlike and outplaying him is impossible because in the minds of americans he's the pinnacle of brawl's potential...there's no way the 3rd best olimar in japan could somehow be a superior player to USA's best...

I have a feeling everyone in Japan is like that. Their metagame isn't even up to par with our in a lot of areas but the mental ability of their players seems to be staggering...

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
RedHalberd is slowly becoming one of my favorite posters on this site along with Pierce. Good **** with the real talk.

Dabuz...lol, no comment.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like Brood used that first match to feel M2K out, figure out his gameplay style, and find what habits he had that he could exploit later.

Why? The guy went from being three stocked to reading nearly every move that M2K made at one point. I kinda think it was on purpose, you know? Might be a Japanese thing, or maybe just an individual trait...

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
brood beat m2k/ally and many more people who NO OTHER olimar beat. hes the best. its simple.
^^^^^^

if you think your better than brood dabuz then quit wit da talkin, n get with the work'n

prove it

vocal, thats exactly what he was doin. Hes not the only player that's done it obvi, i think what makes him stand out versus other people that employ that same strat is simply who can cope with the most changes and find ways around what their opponent throws out at'em

He's only good when I'm not there.
band camp is a rly bad john btw

Rust

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rustic
That's fine with me. Anything that makes us Olimars strive to up our game and be the best shouldn't be shot down.

Bring on the better Olimar players, someday America will surpass them and then we'll all have a drink
Step up now or forever hold your inadequacy

Just sayin'

I'm respectin' Rich on his last post though, <3

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
^^^^^^

if you think your better than brood dabuz then quit wit da talkin, n get with the work'n

prove it

vocal, thats exactly what he was doin. Hes not the only player that's done it obvi, i think what makes him stand out versus other people that employ that same strat is simply who can cope with the most changes and find ways around what their opponent throws out at'em
people misinterpret me, im not saying im definitely better than brood, but i'm saying that i have not gotten a chance to fight the same people he had fought and in those settings so its possible that he isn't better than every American oli, maybe he is, but until i get a shot, its not a completely factual thing, even though i know everyone will jump on the brood bandwagon forever now

OverLade

Smash Hero
I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like Brood used that first match to feel M2K out, figure out his gameplay style, and find what habits he had that he could exploit later.

Why? The guy went from being three stocked to reading nearly every move that M2K made at one point. I kinda think it was on purpose, you know? Might be a Japanese thing, or maybe just an individual trait...
I dont think so.

I think Brood genuinely got destroyed first match. Most people don't understand adaptation in this game and assume that people sandbag when they get destroyed. Players at that level have the capacity to adapt that quickly. I'm sure you could find plenty of examples where top players lose a first match and then IMMEDIATELY figure out why they were getting ***** and adjust.

Brood is obviously on a level where he could figure out M2K in one match. If you didn't notice, he was figuring DEHF out as well during the 3rd and 4th games of their GF set, though it obviously took him long. M2K is a lot more repetitive which is why it's not too surprising.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Yeah I saw that too Red. He started catching on to Larry and tacked on some good damage but it was simply too late by then. He caught on to M2K extremely fast I agree. I'm kind of glad M2K lost after pulling that RC running **** with the USA tag on lol. It was kind of humiliating and basically said: "hey Japan, this is what we do in a pinch, how do you like it?". He did what he had to do but in the end Brood got the last hit that matters. Congrats to him for absolutely wrecking everything in sight other than Larry.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Lmao @ the oli boards getting invaded

Oooh yeah 5th @ MLG doubles who's da bess XD

Nah but for real Dabuz, until you actually prove it (and me too) Brood is better. Until then it's all talk. Don't be like Rok the Reaper lol

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I just picked Olimar up and when I was watching Brood play I realized that his play style is like mine.

Except you know, he did good and ***** alot.

But still, I have always thought that his play style was the way to play.

CO18

Smash Hero
Srsly brood is redic holy ****. I actually wanted him to beat m2k cuz I felt like m2k would come back vs larry and I wanted a black man to win a national :D. But yea brood is on some other ish with olimar. Who is this olimar that they're saying is better cuz brood is 4th in japan and I know rain is first and I was pretty sure masashi is 2nd so unless that oli is in that one spot.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Srsly brood is redic holy ****. I actually wanted him to beat m2k cuz I felt like m2k would come back vs larry and I wanted a black man to win a national :D. But yea brood is on some other ish with olimar. Who is this olimar that they're saying is better cuz brood is 4th in japan and I know rain is first and I was pretty sure masashi is 2nd so unless that oli is in that one spot.
Yea, you're right. Brood has mastered the buffering system in ways that American Olimars hadn't even thought about until he came along. We're gonna work on that though ^_^

And idk who is better, you'd have to ask someone else.

Denti

Smash Master
it's not like I ignored that post vocal, I just prolly wasnt here. I'm training super hard now, brood is just crazy good and I have lots to learn. I wish he could come to the boards and talk here...

In the interview he did on the livestream in which Kel translated for him and Rain
What sort of interview? All this stuff I missed because my internet was not letting the stream work. There is so much I always here people asking about the japanese metagame.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
What sort of interview? All this stuff I missed because my internet was not letting the stream work. There is so much I always here people asking about the japanese metagame.
I think they were accepting question for a bit on the livestream, wrote them down, waited for an opportunity, then had the interview on the stream. This was yesterday, during pools. Asked them dif things like what's dif between American/Japanese smash, what's their most disliked matchup, other stuff, etc.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I HAD WORK FROM 5PM-2AM EST, I MISSED SO MUCH!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I'm sorry but the amount of meat riding occurring in the stream is ridiculous. He also lost to kadaj earlier. And I bet mikehaze would trash him, or the rest of the marths. Plus he plays blue gloves.
:laugh:

Attention...

Brood has demolished everyone. We will all be switching to Blue Gloves Olimar.

That is all...
**** that

^

Begin flood.

The small Olimar community as we know it has come to an end ;-; In a good way, I suppose, but I'm gonna miss it. You all r still gonna b my bros tho :p

Oh, and I'd really appreciate it if someone made me a mod in the Xat again; I've changed computers yet AGAIN :)
Who are you? You have never been here before. Is this what we will be subjected to from now on?

I think I'm gonna like these boards a lot less now ;-;
:chuckle: LMMFAO now you know how I feel xD.

We should make a backroom group of all the oldies before we get flooded with bandwagon.
WE DEFINITELY NEED THIS!

For once, you're right. I need to learn to choose what I reply to or I'm only going to end up frustrating myself.
:laugh:, lol bob xD

I agree on Gonta.

I also find it interesting that M2K has being saying Olimar is the best character in the game for a while now :laugh: Sure, it's his MK bias, but still funny
:chuckle: LOL M2K can be so gay with diddy, Olimar johns, as well as trying to do that brawl star **** and trying to get Lain and Chu Dat/Junebug DQ'ed xD

Brood da bess
I agree with the hype and the meat riding now haha.

Olimar movin up on that tier list!

Olimars get your metagame moving

Dam, there better be vids
Man I so agree, I want vids too, and yeah Olimar moving up. Its amazing he was 17th at 1st tier list the 10th 3 times in a row xD. With ROB moving down so much, I was beginning to feel like **** for putting my time into such a ****ty character, but with Olimar, I'm feeling very happy for putting my time into him.

thank god brood didn't win this national
I agree. Regional Bias FTW!

*sighs* now people will think brood is better than all american olis...*shrugs*...and he apparently isn't even the best olimar in japan
This is a mad scary thought. If this is tru then THE ONLY TOP OLIMARS ARE IN JAPAN. NA WOULD THEN HAVE NO TOP OLI'S :crying:

He placed better than all of America's Olis. He does things we don't. He eliminated M2K from the tournament. He took second at Apex.

Look, it doesn't make me happy at all to say this because I wish it wasn't true, but he IS better (though America may be better at certain MUs).

And if he's not even the best I'd be afraid to see who the best is because the truth is that he already has most of America beat :laugh:
I'm pretty sure he is the 1st/only Olimar to ever take a set off M2K & Ally. And yeah, Japan is so amazing right now.

That's fine with me. Anything that makes us Olimars strive to up our game and be the best shouldn't be shot down.

Bring on the better Olimar players, someday America will surpass them and then we'll all have a drink
I truly hope this comes true

Yeah this is gonna push Oli up the tier list like ****in crazy lmao
Looking forward to it :]

Alright, mad logic **** comin up real quick.

Brood is DEFINITELY better than all the USA Olimar players put together there's like no comparison. You shouldn't take this as offense. He's literally like an Olimar player with M2K or Ally's mind. There should be no debate. He literally proved this like 10000 times over and just by watching him you can tell he's smoking that herb that doesnt' even grow over here.

The same can be said for RAIN even he's on some **** US falco's dont know about. Metagame/matchups/brackets deterime a lot but based on how good even Brood is Japan is definitely better than the USA in SSBB...
As it should be with all video games :laugh:. Japan/asians need to solidify dat stereotype & be the best nation at all games. I definately also think the **** are better than the US now.

The olimar boards are going to be spammfully active now... kinda irritating
ugh I know :urg:

Would you say Brood pulled a Pound 3 Mango story, but was not able to win? ;O
More like a Genesis Armada story. coming to US for the 1st time, beating M2K yet losing in GF.

I pointed this out ages ago from watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk7hej_mIHg

But no one paid attention. I find it efficient as well though.
I... never... even... thought of that :eek:. I'm totally mind ****ed right now. the way he got that 1st kill using the dsmash thing was amazing. That totally revolutionizes my game now

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a few more things

1. THIS WAS LARRY'S TOURNAMENT. HE WAS THE ****EN STAR OF IT ALL. ALL EYES WHERE ON HIM IN THE FALCO DISPUTE, AND WE GOT TO SEE HIM PLAY BOTH OF THE BEST PLAYERS JAPAN HAD THAT DAY (although I didn't see him fight brood :cry:)
2. Turaz thanks for linking me to oli chat and letting me root for my country. Sry for overdoing it tho, I just really wanted them to rep Canada well lol. When they lost, I was humble in victory and vocal noticed it too. Anyways turaz ur a true bro :]
3. Iunno about Richbrown being the best at teams (at least not for long). Brood & rain never did teams in tournament before so if they started teaming a lot more often, rich could also lose that.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I definitely think Pyronic is the best in doubles. Brood's really good too though. I haven't seen much of Rich in doubles tbh, so I could definitely be wrong.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Well, I just swung by to say...

BLUE GLOVESSSSSSSS. BROOD SHOWIN WATS GUDDDDDD.

Btw I'll be posting again since the Falcon boards are being gay.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Just thought I'd stop by to say that Rain said that the consensus in Japan is that Nietono is the best Olimar.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I HAD WORK FROM 5PM-2AM EST, I MISSED SO MUCH!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
That's hard bro. At least it was recorded, so even if you weren't here for the hype you can still watch the highlights reel :)

:chuckle: LMMFAO now you know how I feel xD.
I do lol, though I hope I wasn't one of those people when I arrived ^_^

:laugh:, lol bob xD
O U SAW WUT I DID THAR? ;)

This is a mad scary thought. If this is tru then THE ONLY TOP OLIMARS ARE IN JAPAN. NA WOULD THEN HAVE NO TOP OLI'S :crying:
Sad, isn't it...

I'm pretty sure he is the 1st/only Olimar to ever take a set off M2K & Ally. And yeah, Japan is so amazing right now.
Far as I know he is, and yes it is. Psh, Rain the best player? Nah dog.

I... never... even... thought of that :eek:. I'm totally mind ****ed right now. the way he got that 1st kill using the dsmash thing was amazing. That totally revolutionizes my game now
Yup.

But guys, this video is even more amazing than I ever knew. When I saw this video, I was too new to realize what I was seeing, but you know how we've been talking about how Brood buffers? It's all in here, AND HE BUFFERS EVERYTHING.

Out of pluck, out of Dsmash, out of TRIPPING, out of spotdodge, out of Pikmin Throw (more on that later), out of fair (sometimes straight into another fair)

Pikmin Throw needs to be explored immensely. I'm not joking when I say this: 95% of the time that he used SideB he had something buffered IMMEDIATELY AFTER EVERY ONE OF THEM. My personal favorite: SideB to Buffered Fsmash >.> I know Dabuz mentioned this, and he was right - we've got a lot of exploring to do. (He also buffers a lot out of dsmash, most likely to make it safer, so we should explore this as well. Hell, we need to explore buffering everything :laugh:)

Speaking of Dabuz, remember how you just told us in the Xat about that great Airdodge > Spot Dodge? Brood uses it in that video, and that was well over a year ago O_o

This man has so many things for us to steal it's not even an exaggeration to say that studying him could revolutionize our metagame.

a few more things

1. THIS WAS LARRY'S TOURNAMENT. HE WAS THE ****EN STAR OF IT ALL. ALL EYES WHERE ON HIM IN THE FALCO DISPUTE, AND WE GOT TO SEE HIM PLAY BOTH OF THE BEST PLAYERS JAPAN HAD THAT DAY (although I didn't see him fight brood :cry:)
It really was Larry's tournament. Perhaps Brood was the attention getting co-star, but this was Larry's tournament through and through. He won, and he earned every last bit of it :)

And as far as Brood in doubles, it's hard to tell. IMO he was carrying Rain through a lot of it, and he would've placed higher with a better partner (as in someone who's better at being a partner).

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Just had a thought: I'm guessing that buffering explains why some of America's mid-tiers (like Fox and Pit) are thought to be much better in Japan. I don't even wanna think about what kinds of crazy stuff Fox can buffer O_O

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
at japan's got the platform canceling down too. I'm also gonna ick that **** up ASAP
What is this platform canceling? I hear this term a lot but I sadly don't fully know what it means :( I know it has something to do with dropping down through platforms and I think something with aerials, but I don't know

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Heh, I had this buffering realization the other day watching recent Chu videos. It's not as crazy as the *** buffering, but really, it's crazy seeing how much it speeds up your game. Brawl has more tech skill than I had thought.

at japan's got the platform canceling down too. I'm also gonna ick that **** up ASAP
That **** is hard.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I do not understand how no one else thinks that Brood only chose to lose to Chibo ;-;

Am I really the only one?
Didn't he lose to kadaj?

Also tin man no problem canada is great make good toppings for my pizza

Top Bottom