• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Questions and Answers; Ask here first!

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Ness, Lucas, Well actaully I don't use Cape on them,I just use fludd to move them as they try to shoot them selfs back on stage

Cape ****.
Pikachu

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Can anybody tell me - preferably a seasoned / good Mario player - what Mario's best options on the ledge are? I find it almost impossible to return to the stage against characters with decently ranged aerials unless I'm on battlefield where I can mix in some attacks from a wall jump [and even that is risky to do].

:059:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
No one likes caping Falco or Fox? :S
Doable, but much easier to Fireball or N-air their Side-B.

What else can Mario do with fair(that's not in the air)?
I'm assuming you mean on stage and not off since you can't use F-air on the ground. Mainly ground applications lead to Jab Locks and Tech-Chases.

What's the best stage for Mario?
Battlefield.

Can anybody tell me - preferably a seasoned / good Mario player - what Mario's best options on the ledge are? I find it almost impossible to return to the stage against characters with decently ranged aerials unless I'm on battlefield where I can mix in some attacks from a wall jump [and even that is risky to do].

Clicky.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Usually I Cape stall and if my opponent does something dumb, I will ledgehop B-air. The trick is you need to be able to space this so that you get the 10 frames of landing lag of B-air as opposed to like the half second of lag from landing with Up-B.

Ledgehop Fireballs sometimes are good. Ledgehop FLUDD is useful only for bypassing Recovery Carryover lag.

And I occasionally catch other players with ledgestand -> F-smash. The important thing to note about this option is that Mario gains a little range on his F-smash when it is initiated from the ledge due to the ledge preventing Mario from normally leaning back on his F-smash.

What are some good combos with Mario?
Fastfalled U-air -> U-tilt
Fastfalled N-air/B-air/U-air -> Jab/D-smash/Grab
U-tilt -> Grab (at 0% when U-tilt chains can be blocked between hits)
SH D-air -> U-air (at 0%)
Fireball -> reverse F-smash
F-throw -> Fireball (not actually a combo, but a good followup that can start a Jab lock at low percents)
Jab2 -> D-smash/D-tilt/F-tilt/Grab

IMO those are the practical ones that I expect every Mario player to know.

UberMario

Smash Master
I haven't really been able to get to any tourneys in the past several months due to my schedule and location [haven't seen a tournament within 40 minutes of here since last winter], but how many Marios [does anyone think] use FLUDD to influnce their landing trajectory?

There was a thread about this a while back (or maybe it was just part of this thread, don't remember) talking about FLUDD being used for recoveries/mindgames, I didn't take it seriously at first, but I found it to be pretty effective against players guarding the ground, even making it possible to [at slightly faster than a walking speed] get to the opposite ledge of FD when popped barely off the top of the screen from the other side.

SKidd

Smash Master

I redirect you here

UberMario said:
I haven't really been able to get to any tourneys in the past several months due to my schedule and location [haven't seen a tournament within 40 minutes of here since last winter], but how many Marios [does anyone think] use FLUDD to influnce(Influence :p ) their landing trajectory?

There was a thread about this a while back (or maybe it was just part of this thread, don't remember) talking about FLUDD being used for recoveries/mindgames, I didn't take it seriously at first, but I found it to be pretty effective against players guarding the ground, even making it possible to [at slightly faster than a walking speed] get to the opposite ledge of FD when popped barely off the top of the screen from the other side.
Ah yes, FLUDD. FLUDD for recovery can be useful, and it cannot be useful.

You may get punished. Hard. Just like how one would punish Snake's C4, you're a pretty much helpless character going right into your opponent.

But for the most part, it is useful, since your generally to far out for your opponent to dare attempt to punish you when initiating your FLUDD.

It helps you recover faster. Your recovery is less slanted, and you go faster.

FLUDD can also be used in the air to push opponents trying to punish/intercept away, and punish things like DK's fair with FIHL.

And a question of my own, what other cape ***** are there other than Luigi and Meta Knight?

UberMario

Smash Master
I redirect you here

Ah yes, FLUDD. FLUDD for recovery can be useful, and it cannot be useful.

You may get punished. Hard. Just like how one would punish Snake's C4, you're a pretty much helpless character going right into your opponent.

But for the most part, it is useful, since your generally to far out for your opponent to dare attempt to punish you when initiating your FLUDD.

It helps you recover faster. Your recovery is less slanted, and you go faster.

FLUDD can also be used in the air to push opponents trying to punish/intercept away, and punish things like DK's fair with FIHL.
That really didn't answer my question, I asked how many Marios [here] use it like that. :ohwell:

And a question of my own, what other cape ***** are there other than Luigi and Meta Knight?
Though not quite as entertaining as the two above, you can cape Zelda directly before she teleports to cause her to go in the opposite direction of her intended flight [there's a point in the recovery right before the warp happens where you can not switch directions, either that or everyone I've done it to had no idea it was coming, but I doubt it because I've done it to several people where I went off the stage to do cape them], last time I checked Kirby can't grab ledges when caped during his UpB either.

The following pretty much are just playing the cape right rather than abusing a strange trait, but it's also possible to cape all of the Star Fox characters, including mid flight. (Though it's more likely to happen if you do it JUST as it starts, their UpB moves can be reflected midmove and I've managed to get spiked by Falco's SideB onstage while they got reflected away from the ledge, though I rarely seem to be able to pull it off, must have been port priority or something) FLUDD is a more reliable gimp against them though.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I haven't really been able to get to any tourneys in the past several months due to my schedule and location [haven't seen a tournament within 40 minutes of here since last winter], but how many Marios [does anyone think] use FLUDD to influnce their landing trajectory?

I tryed doing this once.

I was nocked off the stage diagnolly and I used cape to turn me around then use a full charged fludd to spray the I used cape and coin jump.

Didn't work for me, Problably used it to early or late

SKidd

Smash Master
That really didn't answer my question, I asked how many Marios [here] use it like that. :ohwell:
:urg:

I suspect a majority of them use it against characters that can't attack very high and have no projectiles.

which includes myself :)

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Space animals just drive right through my FLUDD with their recoveries..... Fire beats water? The hell? I just cape them instead.

UberMario

Smash Master
Space animals just drive right through my FLUDD with their recoveries..... Fire beats water? The hell? I just cape them instead.
Really? Whenever I use a fully charged FLUDD on them it stops them right in their tracks, especially their side Bs. (FLUDD'ing the Up B causes mostly hit lag, but it does limit their recovery somewhat too)

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hellu Mario Boards, you might be seeing me a lot here in the next little while asking questions about your character and how they perform on a certain stage.
Character boards seem to cycle through incomplete MU threads to new ones in hope to update them and finally complete them. This is the R.O.B. Boards attempt at completing a sufficient stage-discussion thread and I'm going to try my best to get accurate and thorough information, but I'll need your help. This will be the only question with an introductory. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that if you guys need info on anything for R.O.B. don't hesitate asking. ^_^

Anywho!

Q: How does Mario fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can Mario abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see Mario's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.

thanks guys =]
<beep3

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario is harder to gimp on Delphino, and while ROB does have a wall lock, so does Mario (Jab combo from 0-70). The unique terrain is probably more helpful for Mario if he so chooses to camp in this matchup. Otherwise I don't think this stage is a huge matchup determiner here.

So I'd say 6/10

SKidd

Smash Master
@a2z, Delphino?

and Mario has a wall infinite, double ftilt makes them fall, settin up for a jab lock(against a wall)
doesn't work on frigate though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Setting up a Jab lock infinite against a wall is retardedly hard and people do tech in those situations. Wall lock combos are much easier, not that they will happen often anyway.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Really? Whenever I use a fully charged FLUDD on them it stops them right in their tracks, especially their side Bs. (FLUDD'ing the Up B causes mostly hit lag, but it does limit their recovery somewhat too)
You might as well just cape instead if you're in that kind of angle for FLUDD to hit them dead on. Also, to answer your previous post; I'm pretty sure all the good Marios here use FLUDD, its just the problem of who you're playing against. For example; if you're playing against a Link or Ness you're going to see FLUDD a lot more, but if its somebody like Jiggly.... no one is even going to bother....

Also; that wasn't that SKidd was asking. Cape **** and caping someone are two entirely different things. Caping whatever you just explain in your last post. Cape **** is when you use the cape to increase someone's momentum. For example; if Luigi Up'bs someone and you cape him right as hes flying upwards he will fly upwards at a MUCH faster speed, resulting in a much earlier death. It's absurd and kills stupid early, at like 0-10%.
Here's a link to BOx7 video on cape ****. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7WjRsEgGiY

inb4 Reducas says this makes the Mario Bros a 8/10 or 9/10

SKidd

Smash Master
ya i kno bout dat caep raep

But I've seen posts about Pikachu ones as well...
What's up with that?

UberMario

Smash Master
You might as well just cape instead if you're in that kind of angle for FLUDD to hit them dead on.
It doesn't have to be dead on, most of the time I'm aiming it at a 30*ish angle upwards, they only have to touch it to experience the FIHL which cancels out their recovery, they act like they hit a solid barrier.

Also, to answer your previous post; I'm pretty sure all the good Marios here use FLUDD, its just the problem of who you're playing against. For example; if you're playing against a Link or Ness you're going to see FLUDD a lot more, but if its somebody like Jiggly.... no one is even going to bother....
Like I said, I asked more specifically how many Mario mains use FLUDD to get out of being combo'd or for mind game use in midair. It's probably easier if I had a video, but I can't find one that really explains what I'm talking about.

Also; that wasn't that SKidd was asking. Cape **** and caping someone are two entirely different things. Caping whatever you just explain in your last post. Cape **** is when you use the cape to increase someone's momentum. For example; if Luigi Up'bs someone and you cape him right as hes flying upwards he will fly upwards at a MUCH faster speed, resulting in a much earlier death. It's absurd and kills stupid early, at like 0-10%.
Yes, but that's not the only definition for cape ****: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og1fm7xRx_0&feature=related

There's the offensive (where it increases knockback) and the defensive (glitch). While Kirby's and Zelda's recoveries being caped doesn't apply, I consider it vaguely similar to the latter since in Kirby's case he can't grab the ledge once caped (for some reason Final Cutter's hit box forces Kirby to only grab the ledge in the direction he's facing) and Zelda (who's recovery is aimed BEFORE the cape takes effect, reflecting the path of trajectory while the teleportation starts to occur).

SKidd

Smash Master
Cape **** = Cape doing weird, pr0 things (MK gimps)

Caping = gimps/kills by turning your opponents recovery around

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Mario is harder to gimp on Delphino, and while ROB does have a wall lock, so does Mario (Jab combo from 0-70). The unique terrain is probably more helpful for Mario if he so chooses to camp in this matchup. Otherwise I don't think this stage is a huge matchup determiner here.

So I'd say 6/10
Thanks a bunch! If anyone else can help out with this MU on DP, please do so! Answer any part of my question that you can. It would be appreciated a beepton! xD<3

SKidd

Smash Master
when Delfino is moving around, Mario has to be careful not to get gimped by ROB's offstage game.

ROB and Mario both have superb aerial games, but ROBs have their gay jumps and B up that makes them ungimpable.
fair to fair to edgehog/guard

Also, would ROBs uair have a lot of FIHL?

BSP

Smash Legend
When ROB up B's, just land camp him. I don't think he can air dodge; all he can do (safely) is Nair if you come from below, which you can predict, and outspeed it or just wait and punish.

I'm not sure, but Mario's bair might even trade with ROB's fair in midair, which would help you more since it would keep knocking him back off.

I wouldn't bother fludding ROB's uair, but it should have a decent amount of FIHL.

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm working on my Mario, I don't truly have a main right now, but Mario's always been one of my stronger characters in 64, Melee, and Brawl, so I want to learn him at least to use as a second or if I want to go ahead and main him. I've never been the greatest at ATs, but I've managed to pick up most of Mario's so far (still working on sliding usmash...)

But I have a few questions...

1: I use Wii-Remote/Nunchuck. I know GCN controller is recommended, but I use that for Melee and I'm worried about damaging my Melee game by using it for Brawl. Is this a valid concern?
Anyway, I've made a few changes I want to hear some thoughts on: I routed smashes to the d-pad and I switched C and Z, to make it easier to shorthop by tapping Z and I'm still comfortable shielding with C. Will this damage my game at all?
Also, are there any other changes I should make?

2: Gimping. I've never been good at it, but offstage caping and FLUDD I can learn. My question is: What is the most effective way to get off the stage to gimp? I've never been able to get off the stage and into a good position very fast. How would you recommend doing this?

3: Out of shield. I've got Super Jump Punch and usmash oos and shield grab down, but I have been totally unable to utilt oos. Is there a way to make this easier? I always end up either shieldgrabbing or doing a usmash oos.

4: Directional influence. I've seen Mario pros sh, then DI forward, then fireball, then DI forward. Does anyone have tips to get in the hang of this? Or any special way to practice it, because I tend to cape.

I think that's it for now, thanks in advance for help!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
1. I play both Melee and Brawl, and personally I don't find it hard to switch between games. However there is an adjustment period in my experience before you can switch between the two without trouble. Keep in mind that wireless controllers have a very slight frame disadvantage compared to wired controllers. Otherwise with good controller mapping, Wiimote + Nunchuck is perfectly fine from my experience. The changes you made I believe are very smart.

2. Gimping isn't the first thing you should be considering except in matchups where it's fairly easy to do (Donkey Kong, Bowser, Olimar, Ike, perhaps Marth). The standard way to gimp is to simply slow down your opponent with FLUDD and then usually a well-placed Cape is enough to gimp all but the best recoveries in the game. A N-air usually gimps weak low recoveries pretty easily too and can be used to frametrap people who stay on the ledge too long with the threat of a stagespike.

Against people who are recovering mid level towards the edge, U-air is good for edgeguards due to its speed and wide hitbox.

And don't forget to use N-air in general edgetrapping. With a well-timed N-air, you can beat all your opponent's ledge getup options except for the incredibly risky ledgeroll, and reset the situation into enough edgeguard/trap attempt.

3. U-tilt OOS is very situational, probably only going to see use as a situational edgetrap option. The best way to use it out of shield is to punish someone who is getting back onstage with a ledgehop aerial. U-tilt however is better used as an anti-air, an airdodge punisher, or by comboing into it with N-air/U-air at low percents. Against characters like Pit and Samus however, Jab cancel U-tilt is a viable option against them. Learn to B-air out of shield as well. If you like B-airing out of shield, it's worth learning to pivot walk as well, which can help you approach with your back facing towards your opponent. Jab and F-tilt and D-smash out of shield are options that are worth knowing which are all situational but useful. Even F-smash out of shield has uses.

4. The best way to DI is to well...aim for the upper corner, use your double jump to cancel momentum if you're about to die, and then use your fireballs and Cape as appropriate to enhance your recovery. A word about Cape: Saving it is VERY important for recovery. The Cape has the ability to bait ledgehogs and let you punish them as their invincibility wears off.

Smash Rookie
Thank you for replying, I just have a few follow up questions...

1: As for gimping: you've given me a far better understanding on how to do it, but another question of mine is how to best get off the stage and back on (i.e., jump off, run off, backflip off, etc.)

2: How would you do anything not up out of shield (i.e., ftilt, dsmash, fsmash)? I thought pressing up was what cancelled the shield, and if you didn't press A or B, you jumped?

3: Another DI question? Is there a good way to learn how to move forward while shorthopping a fireball?

Thanks again!

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
To answer your question about doing things OoS, the term OoS doesn't necessarily mean you are cancelling the ending of shield into another move. An OoS Dsmash, for example, would be simply dropping your shield and doing Dsmash.

So to do Utilt OoS, you would drop your shield, and Utilt. Pretty simple.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Thank you for replying, I just have a few follow up questions...

1: As for gimping: you've given me a far better understanding on how to do it, but another question of mine is how to best get off the stage and back on (i.e., jump off, run off, backflip off, etc.)

2: How would you do anything not up out of shield (i.e., ftilt, dsmash, fsmash)? I thought pressing up was what cancelled the shield, and if you didn't press A or B, you jumped?

3: Another DI question? Is there a good way to learn how to move forward while shorthopping a fireball?

Thanks again!
1. Just experiment with what tricks you can do offstage and how long and how far away you can stay away from the edge and successfully recover. Generally speaking you want to be able to land on stage if necessary

2. The reason why Up-B and U-smash can cancel the shield is because you are inputting a jump. All characters except Yoshi fundamentally can jump out of shield, but the jump squat is interruptible with an Up-B or U-smash. This is the way it has been since 64. In order to do any other actions out of shield, you either drop shield or jump out of shield as necessary.

3. Mess around with it. Learn how to combo into F-smash after fireball. Otherwise the standard followup after fireball generally should be grab or Jab.

Smash Rookie
Thanks, you guys! You're awesome! This will definitely help my game with the plumber!

Top Bottom