• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Donkey Kong [Summary Updated: 8/17/2009]

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Everyone else has posted my thoughts, and of course DK has monstrous Power. We have Projectile. I either say 50:50 or 55:45 Yoshi. DK depending on the player but I personally Think Yoshi has the lead.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yosh, it can be pretty hard. This mu is all about spacing and momentem. You also need to read the opponent really well as they both have very dangerous punish moves. He have to try and keep him away with eggs and such, while he wants to try and land a bair or so on us. If he makes a mistake, we either grab or it not enough time ftilt (which i already explained). If we get the grab, we can cg him all the way to the edge and put him in a really bad position offstage. However, if he lands a bair on us, he can easily get another uair, bair, etc. on us. Afterwards, DK can actually juggle us decently.

Even though we inflict damage easier, DK can kill really early. His giant punch can be wavebounced into our mistakes, his dsmash is suprisingly fast, and fsmash and usmash are both really early killers. He however can kill with uair and usmash decently (around 150-160 on fd i believe) and our fsmash kills well if you can land it. Down b in my opinion really isnt that great of a kill move here as it kills really late, but that could just be my playstyle, so correct me if im wrong.

On the defense, we both have the options to keep each other away. However, since both of our shields are terrible, if you can get up close to the opponent while they're shileding, it should almost always result in damage. This is why spacing is so important here.

I say this is slightly Yoshi's favor because we should be inflicting about 160 damage for every 100 damage we take, but dk kills at 100, and we kill at 160 making it even. We both have good spacing and virtually the same problems, making us have similar advantages and disadvantages. that said, we do have better speed and a projectile that dk can't powershield, plus we have the tools to get that free gimp every once in a while off a good read (which dk does have, but not to the extent we do). That's why I believe it to be 55:45 yoshi adv.

tl;dr yoshi has a slight advantage imo

EDIT: You guys should know what to do by now: http://www.smashboards.com/group.php?groupid=2360

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
You guys pretty much put down what I think this match-up comes up to.

Regardless, I still think it may be even because I believe Yoshi's mobility is countered by DK's hard reads.

:069:

Airborne

Smash Lord
You guys pretty much put down what I think this match-up comes up to.

Regardless, I still think it may be even because I believe Yoshi's mobility is countered by DK's hard reads.

I highly agree. Like I said before, I believe the MU can range anywhere between 55:45 and vice versa, so I'm just going to say 50:50.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Oh god I remember this MU back in the day. Use your cg to freshen your up smash, you'll need it since Usmash/uair are your only reliable kill moves here. You won't be killing DK horizontally very often, f smash is your strongest horizontal KO move and DK is ridiculously difficult to kill off the sides.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Which Yoshis have you played Chaos? Cause you just said your "friend who has a decent Yoshi." Who is this guy and do you have any vids or anything so we know he's a good Yoshi? I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just wondering how you're basing your conclusion, cause just from knowing what each character has, I'm having a hard time seeing it being that hard of a MU for Yoshi.
I have played two Yoshis, one of them is named slush (not sure his name on the boards is). and the other is a friend who just plays a lot of characters. And sorry no, i do not vids. I will try to get other Dk's in here to help out.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Slush is me... Chaosgriffin... CG! Should've known, I never played you before but I do remember seeing you play at WHG3 and you probably saw me play against Broly since me beating him the first game attracted a crowd.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Slush is me... Chaosgriffin... CG! Should've known, I never played you before but I do remember seeing you play at WHG3 and you probably saw me play against Broly since me beating him the first game attracted a crowd.
Yeah, I am CG. lol

Good job btw at the tourney.

I know we did not play at that last tourney, but i could have sworn that we played at the one we held before WHG3 in Kingsville.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Never been in Kingsville till this WHG3. And I searched my results of tournaments yesterday and you weren't in any of them. I remember Broly from San Japan I believe.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Never been in Kingsville till this WHG3. And I searched my results of tournaments yesterday and you weren't in any of them. I remember Broly from San Japan I believe.
Hmm.....could of sworn i had played you before. Oh well. Anyway, i have another question. Does the CG work on DK? Has anyone tested DK trying to break out of it with up-b? Case up-b comes out on frame 3, or 4.

Yikarur

Smash Master
DK can buffer a sideB on Reaction to avoid the chaingrab and we're pinned if we doesn't do the Dash Grab perfectly.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
We don't have to be perfect we just cant mess up is all

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Lol

Both Slush and CG. :)

I saw you at the tourney in kingsville. Why is everyone taller than me? :|

Anyway.. I have really never played a Yoshi... Ever.. But I can sort of try to give some logical input anyway.

I know one big weakness of Yoshi's is the chance of getting foot stooled off stage after your second jump.

I thought I might add this to the discussion. Reason being is that Donkey Kong is VERY big. It's not as hard to footstool someone with such a large character.

Iunno. Thought I'd add SOME type of input. Again, I've never played a Yoshi. :|

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
...If you've never played against Yoshi, don't give any input. I mean, I haven't played against too many DKs, so my input for this match-up is limited.

Yoshi is never going to get footstooled. Ever. It's not a weakness at all.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I fight dk a lot. I even used to use him as a secondary. He's still probably one of my top 5 characters that im good with :)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I've only ever been footstooled in a tournament match (aside from X's on stage footstool combo thing that he gets out of spin dash >.>) once. And it was from my brother. At like 40%. I let my guard down cuz I fight him so often and then it happened... I still pulled of a win that battle though... Barely.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I've only ever been footstooled in a tournament match (aside from X's on stage footstool combo thing that he gets out of spin dash >.>) once. And it was from my brother. At like 40%. I let my guard down cuz I fight him so often and then it happened... I still pulled of a win that battle though... Barely.
You must live in 08' land

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Strangely enough, yes, but we have yet to learn the 'air dodge'.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Sonic footstools me alot. And by that I mean Espy/Turbo since *Some* people noticed this is another of Yoshi's Weakness.
Sonic is the only thing that ever footstools us. But even then it's only onstage. (For me at least)

Airborne

Smash Lord
Nah, bruh, I just get footstooled like it's a daily chore, because that's what a certain sheik does when he fights Yoshi. If you get footstooled, it's your fault for empty jumping.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
If your not expecting it, it will happen. I've seen this happen to yoshis before, having a stock taken just for being footstooled. And by "yoshi's before", I mean me. :V Seriously, always be doing something. I usually up-A the little characters, and spotdodge the big characters. Also airdodge against DK if hes pursuiting you. His spike kills retardly early.

Other then that I have like no DK experience. Im not sure if this is true but if they cargo throw you, apparently if you hold up it will count as an input for every frame, so you can escape until real high percentages.

Top Bottom