• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Donkey Kong [Summary Updated: 8/17/2009]

Airborne

Smash Lord
If your not expecting it, it will happen. I've seen this happen to yoshis before, having a stock taken just for being footstooled. And by "yoshi's before", I mean me. :V Seriously, always be doing something. I usually up-A the little characters, and spotdodge the big characters. Also airdodge against DK if hes pursuiting you. His spike kills retardly early.

Other then that I have like no DK experience. Im not sure if this is true but if they cargo throw you, apparently if you hold up it will count as an input for every frame, so you can escape until real high percentages.
Actually, according to Judo, according to Ripple, holding up will allow you to break out in 'X' frames, 'X' being the current percent damage you have. Example: You have 126%, and DK cargo's you, so you decide to hold up. This mean that you'll break out in 126 frames, which is 2.1 seconds after you were initially grabbed. Which means yo' gonna get stage spiked, so get ready to tech nawwwwwwmean?

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I figured, he is mainly an MK for a while now

so I didn't expect his ROB to do much even through ROB buttrapes Yoshi

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
No, rob is fine. It's his adv. but barely. I play rob EVERY DAY. We have a PR'd rob here (placed 2nd in doubles with rob at SIN2 btw) and my brother, the one who got that footstool once on me, mains him as well.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I honestly think the ROB MU is either equal or slightly in yoshis favor but i'll get into that later.

Also I hate ROB. I hate him alot. :l

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
No, we dont have the advantage. I promise. It's even at best.

And why you hatin' on rob? He's so fly...

hadesblade

Smash Lord
I figured, he is mainly an MK for a while now

so I didn't expect his ROB to do much even through ROB buttrapes Yoshi
The Rob MU is so heavily based on what stage you fight at I'd say its even (or even slightly in our advantage) on some neutrals and 35:65 on others.

As for DK, you can grab release Fair him and if he does anything besides fall/airdodge into the ground it will connect because DK has no options in front of him in the air lol. If you think he will fall/airdodge to the ground or even side b you can run under him and usmash. It's the only character I've been so succesful with punishing with non guaranteed things out of grab. Those two moves cover ALL his options out of grab release.

Also, if he lands and you don't think he'd going to side b, don't try to punish with anything besides a grab or you will get DK punched.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The Rob MU is so heavily based on what stage you fight at I'd say its even (or even slightly in our advantage) on some neutrals and 35:65 on others.

As for DK, you can grab release Fair him and if he does anything besides fall/airdodge into the ground it will connect because DK has no options in front of him in the air lol. If you think he will fall/airdodge to the ground or even side b you can run under him and usmash. It's the only character I've been so succesful with punishing with non guaranteed things out of grab. Those two moves cover ALL his options out of grab release.

Also, if he lands and you don't think he'd going to side b, don't try to punish with anything besides a grab or you will get DK punched.
Uair can hit if you are stupid and nair will connect unless you space really well

Cable

Smash Lord
DK vs Yoshi I believe Yoshi wins by a small amount both me and Will have played DeltaCod and its a tough MU imo

Yoshi's camping with the eggs makes it hard for DK to get in and when hes inside yoshi just punishes him quickly or throws him away. Another thing is Yoshi fast spotdodge makes it hard for DK to hit. You have to play real patience with DK and don't rush to get some hits off yoshi and pull a win

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
@airborne: But of course, SD, Bulk, or DD Brick Break/FP/Hi Jump from Zuru would trump him any day :p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Im pretty sure he has time for those 2, fair isn't super fast and dk's uair comes out frame 6 i believe and his nair comes out 10ish. Remember, Yoshis fair doesn't hit until frame 19

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
Im pretty sure he has time for those 2, fair isn't super fast and dk's uair comes out frame 6 i believe and his nair comes out 10ish. Remember, Yoshis fair doesn't hit until frame 19
frame 6 from behind yea, so in front abit later, but hey, we have upB invincibility on frames 4-6, so if DK can airdodge, he can also hit you back (help me on this one, will it land lagless on a platform if done out of an air release?)

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
frame 6 from behind yea, so in front abit later, but hey, we have upB invincibility on frames 4-6, so if DK can airdodge, he can also hit you back (help me on this one, will it land lagless on a platform if done out of an air release?)
Yeah, we can always use up-b which comes out uber fast has invincibility, and yes grizzer we can land on plaforms lagglessly, unless its smashville (if i remember correctly), that **** platform is too high.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
You guys are probably right, however up smash would just hit your up b from under. upsmash or fair beats every option you guys have :p

daisho

Smash Lord
I hated the DK vs. Yoshi matchup...

Remember that game where I was well over 200 all three lives Delta? I was playing sooo cautions.

marthsword

Smash Ace
Walk me through how a dair at low %'s can get you footstooled? I'm not the one with matchup experience, but running it through my head I know the dair hitbox in this scenario will have enough meteor strength to keep DK below you. I figure his double jump is just the right height to peak atop Yoshi's head at footstool distance, but wouldn't a nair or uair counter the footstool?

Oh, and for the sake of stirring up this discussion: how to avoid bairs? Which counterpicks will screw him over?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I somehow managed to convince Will that Yoshi is one of DK's worst match-ups. XD

Oh, and for the sake of stirring up this discussion: how to avoid bairs? Which counterpicks will screw him over?
Don't contest DK if his back is facing you in the air (go all out if his facing you, though). What you'd want to do is try to egg him while he's still in the air, retreat and pivot-grab him, or advance and do an up-smash. B-air is still such a good move that you will probably be hit by it anyways sometimes, but we have options for it, so it's not too bad.

Good stage to take DK to? Frigate Orpheon and Rainbow Cruise sound like good choices. In terms of neutrals I like FD and Pokemon Stadium 1.

Ban Halberd.

:069:

Top Bottom