• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LAB 1 - Jan 20, 2010

clowsui

Smash Legend
THOUGHTS ON RUNNING THE TOURNAMENT

- Doubles ran smoothly. How did you guys like the BO5 loser's semis? Only real hiccup was...actually I don't think there were any hiccups lol

- I decided to run pools and eliminate because of selfish reasons - I wanted to play more sets, lol. That and some other people brought up with me that they wanted pools. We had...14-15 setups for 32 people lmao, 1:2 ratio = who gives a **** LOL
Worked out well to start pools during dubs. Only real pools issue was me being a derp and not noticing two Moreheaders in the same pool. I also didn't make some of the pools hard enough (i.e. mine), though this wasn't intentional seeing as I thought Kassandra/Hael had good chances to beat me as the contenders for four seed. Props to Chris for beating me.

- Bracket went well. I apologize for moving around a lot and not being at the desk enough, though for the MOST part I think I was where I needed to be. In any case, singles ran extremely smoothly other than like...Mister Eric/Mr. E/Chris disappearing but that wasn't too bad in the end.

- I might try and sneakily run another one of these but my parents are being hardcore about stopping me from playing Smash seeing as I told them I'd make the decision to quit until my life was back in order/quit forever...:<

SHOUTOUTS

1: Infern ($160.00) :snake: - knew you could win it, good stuff. We'll chill + play again at Ohayocon, methinks.
2: Y.b.M. ($80.00) :kirby2: :zerosuitsamus: - s-a-l-t-y. salty. salt salt salt blargh I wish I could've taken a game from you. Your Diddy is solid.
3: Blue Rogue ($48.00) :wario: - Lucas? v. Falco? whatchu thinkin'!? I watched your set(s) in singles, nice job duders. Your Wario's changed a lot.
4: Hilt ($32.00) :olimar: - :( thanks for everything. Great playing you, thanks for helping.
5: Nope :snake:/:wario: - Thanks for the tips vs. Snake. I'mma need them to beat Infern...hehe. Your Snake is as good as ever!
5: vVv DJ Iskaskribble :metaknight: - IskaskrivVvle, good job at this tournament. Fun doubles game and MM! I'll end up MM'ing you again at Ohayocon methinks.
7: Sneakytako :rob: - Inui logic dictates you're better than Chibo. What a world 8D Thanks for the ride and the advice. Hopefully we'll see results this weekend.
7: Mister Eric :rob: - BEEPO (yeah that's right I said it)
9: Fonz :lucario: :metaknight: - I still have a lot to learn about that raccoon. I'll get you someday though...:bee: 200% fsmash too dumb
9: Fizzle :dedede: :metaknight: - fun seriouslies, why you losin to ROB though.
9: Sorasin :falco: - Slap match. Ohayocon. Let's make it happen! GGs in dubs =) Your Falco has surpassed mine by a mile already, I feel.
9: Luminoth :wolf: :diddy: - gotta step my game up lol, you're the Wolf version of Steel Samurai. See you at Ohayocon!
13: Mr. E :rob: - Mystery still confounds me with ROB. Sad we didn't get to friendly.
13: Chris4ever :ike: - you're good vs. Falco xD GGs, your Ike is real solid.
13: Sai :diddy: - man what is this 13th, step it up! Let's MM at Ohayocon, I don't feel like I've played my best in any of our recent sets though that's such a convenient john to make. You're more consistent than me anyhow so chances are you're better than me xD GGs in dubs.
13: Today :gw: :metaknight: - nice to see you improving. I don't like your attitude though, you consistently seem to "not care" or "lose interest" whenever you get faced up against hard opponents and you don't feel you're going to do well.
17: Clowsui :falco: - you scrub
17: Steel Samurai :marth: - you scrubbier. Nah dude thanks for letting me stay over at your house. Yomi is too good. Buster and Sydney are crazy lol. Now I think you're not aggressive enough lol, play balls to the wall sometime with Marth. Just go nuts like Leon and keep getting ***** in friendlies that way until you learn how to do both your natural style and aggression. That's what's missing IMO, your reading abilities are very good though
17: Links24 :toonlink: - Got my revenge :awesome: Toon Stink blows. Nice to have played you in an MM before you took your break though!
17: Excel :popo: :metaknight: - our team chemistry is through the roof as usual, we just didn't capitalize enough on some situations and took too much damage in others. Thanks for coming out, was nice to play you =)
21: KirikouRung :metaknight: - work on what I told you to and you'll do a lot better.
21: Fromundaman :kirby2: - You beat me again xD Maybe when I'm not so frustrated vs Kirby, haha. Nice job beating Steel!
21: Shadobot :marth: - I didn't play you...but you're hecka good at DDR.
21: Nicalobe :yoshi2: - NICK! Didn't play you but it was great seeing you again bud.
25: KassandraNova :metaknight: (forfeited pools sets) - stop getting mad. It genuinely upsets me to hear you say that you're a terrible player and that you should quit, because you're not. Then I get even more mad because I'm being distracted and I end up playing terribly. That's why you should work on your temper: you're not the only one who suffers from you losing control of yourself.
25: Crash :bowser2: - BOWSER
25: OfftheHeezay :marth: - nice seeing you again, after two years lol
25: e__ :metaknight: - try playing Marth or Sheik for a while. Make yourself minimize the number of actions that you do every five seconds. I guarantee that you'll start doing better in Melee.
29: HaelPhael :pikachu2: :rob: :falco: :metaknight: :kirby2: - man those bdacuses though
29: Calebyte :mario2: - <3 no homo. Thanks for coming out. You're making huge leaps already, keep it up. Sorry we didn't get to play more, but you're the best student I've ever had.
29: Steep :mario2: - Wanted to play your Mario, maybe another time...
29: Brandon :gw: - you leavin'? :< Sucks we've never played, thanks for supporting my event.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
@Chi, ='P Hard opponents?
Who was hard that I had to fight?

Also, just because I don't care about WINNING doesn't mean that's an issue at all!
I was laughing and enjoying myself the WHOLE time and I think that's more important than not caring about winning if you ask me.

@Mr. E, People care about yeeew!! Hope to see you at SiiS5, yah? x__x; Also! I have pictures of us and Bluerogue!! I don't know if you have FB, though..

clowsui

Smash Legend
Fizzle isn't difficult?

Also I don't think I said anything with regards to whether you enjoyed the rest of the event or not, because I know you did. Not to mention I agree with you about having fun being more important than winning, and you know that.

Count

Smash Champion
Grats Infern and gj Y.b.M. too. Infern we still need to team!

Hilt/crash I will miss you and Fizzle keep your head up. Sad I missed this tourney since Nope/Fonz made an appearance and I miss everyone!

See you suckas soon, I hope.

NJ running this Chi. You're a pro TO.

edit: OH tourney without Kel and Shugo is :( though.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Thanks broski :) Sad you couldn't make it cause you were just going to destroy doubles in that case, but it's whatever eh?

Also let me be specific: I didn't like how you "didn't care about winning" during this tournament (not fair to say that about other ones, because I thought you did it at SiiS3 too but you had TO'ing and headache issues there, and I remembered that you said you were upset about Ren not teaming at GP Affairs plus you didn't even enter singles there, and I forget the other tournament that I thought this was an issue at).

I'm not saying that winning means more than having fun, but what I am saying is that it's a total discredit to everybody you beat/did well against by saying you don't care about winning or w/e. To me that's the equivalent of "welp I may as well have sandbagged". Not caring about the outcome of a match for the sake of having fun, yeah I can agree with that, but keep that to yourself if that's the case.
To me that kind of stuff just smells of an easy way out too: not to say that you would do this but many times, people are inclined to say "welp don't count this tournament!" even when they had a noticeable achievement because "they weren't trying". Not entirely believable, until they show that they're consistent at least.

Please don't take this to be anything but a comment though. I liked seeing you at the event, and I wish we could've played some friendlies.

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
Thanks Takeover!

And count, come next time, and yes we definetly need to team up sometime soon, thats gonna be a killer team

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Thanks broski :) Sad you couldn't make it cause you were just going to destroy doubles in that case, but it's whatever eh?

Also let me be specific: I didn't like how you "didn't care about winning" during this tournament (not fair to say that about other ones, because I thought you did it at SiiS3 too but you had TO'ing and headache issues there, and I remembered that you said you were upset about Ren not teaming at GP Affairs plus you didn't even enter singles there, and I forget the other tournament that I thought this was an issue at).

I'm not saying that winning means more than having fun, but what I am saying is that it's a total discredit to everybody you beat/did well against by saying you don't care about winning or w/e. To me that's the equivalent of "welp I may as well have sandbagged". Not caring about the outcome of a match for the sake of having fun, yeah I can agree with that, but keep that to yourself if that's the case.
To me that kind of stuff just smells of an easy way out too: not to say that you would do this but many times, people are inclined to say "welp don't count this tournament!" even when they had a noticeable achievement because "they weren't trying". Not entirely believable, until they show that they're consistent at least.

Please don't take this to be anything but a comment though. I liked seeing you at the event, and I wish we could've played some friendlies.
Me at SiiS3 and me here are completely different.
If I recall correctly, SiiS3 I was extremely bummed about doing anything.
But here I was laughing and having fun. I saw a lot of people I enjoyed. I teased people and I had a good time playing Smash.

What I'm wondering is why are you so bothered by how I am acting?
And how is saying I don't care about winning the same thing as sandbagging?
Crash went BOWSER the WHOLE tournament, and you're getting at me who went GnW/MK all tourney? Crash had a great time! And I'm glad he did! And I had a fun time, too! Anthony/Infern played Ike occasionally. Just because I don't care about winning doesn't mean instant sandbag, it just means I'm not stressing myself out to try and do extraordinarily well and that is perfectly fine.
Smash Bros. is a video game, and I plan on enjoying myself.
PLUS, if I recall correctly YOU were the one pressuring me to enter in the first place after I mentioned how much I came just to have fun several times.

Again, Chi, why are you SOOO bothered about me and laughing and enjoying myself at your tournament? And I can totally mention that I came to have fun as much as I want to?

clowsui

Smash Legend
Me at SiiS3 and me here are completely different.
If I recall correctly, SiiS3 I was extremely bummed about doing anything.
But here I was laughing and having fun. I saw a lot of people I enjoyed. I teased people and I had a good time playing Smash.
I already acknowledged this difference, which is why I revised my statement.

What I'm wondering is why are you so bothered by how I am acting?
And how is saying I don't care about winning the same thing as sandbagging?
Don't try to tell me whether I'm bothered or not, that's actually what's causing me to be bothered now. I wasn't even remotely bothered before, actually; just because you equate dislike to bother doesn't mean I do.
I'll address the second point in a bit.

Crash went BOWSER the WHOLE tournament, and you're getting at me who went GnW/MK all tourney? Crash had a great time! And I'm glad he did! And I had a fun time, too! Anthony/Infern played Ike occasionally.
I don't respect Anthony doing that. I laugh about it, I joke about it but I hate it when people do that, especially because he doesn't consider his Ike to be remotely good enough to compete/explicitly sandbags that way. Different from Y.b.M., who believes that his secondary characters are tournament viable, he just doesn't intend on working on them.
Crash went Bowser, I don't care because he doesn't intend on competing any more. I was surprised he entered.
Thank you for playing GW/MK.

Just because I don't care about winning doesn't mean instant sandbag, it just means I'm not stressing myself out to try and do extraordinarily well and that is perfectly fine.
Smash Bros. is a video game, and I plan on enjoying myself.
PLUS, if I recall correctly YOU were the one pressuring me to enter in the first place after I mentioned how much I came just to have fun several times.

Again, Chi, why are you SOOO bothered about me and laughing and enjoying myself at your tournament? And I can totally mention that I came to have fun as much as I want to?[/color]
Don't put words in my mouth. I never once said you had to stress yourself out in order to do well as an alternative to not caring about winning. What I DID say was I think it's a discredit to people that you made it out over, because that implies that you don't have to try your hardest to beat them. Considering you yourself told me your pool was pretty stacked in the four seed area, and that Steel was in that pool and didn't make it out by a margin of one game, you can see why I feel you're disrespecting your poolmates. I'm further puzzled by the fact that you were very relieved when you made it out of pools and that you were very happy to have beaten Infern in one game with Metaknight. I suppose you can be happy about the latter without caring about winning, but I don't think you cared any less than you would in a tournament that you tried the moment you beat him in that game.

I pressured you to enter because I saw that you were having doubts and I thought it would be a good experience for you (and I was under the impression that you were having doubts on that count, playing well enough to compete, but apparently not). I then pressured you twice more because I had to start singles soon.

I didn't say anything about you not having fun. What I DID say was that I think it's very easy to make excuses for your performance when considering this tournament for rankings or something. I don't think it's fair at all to depict me as someone who is against you enjoying yourself and against you having fun and against you laughing, because I'm not.

For the record, I don't even think this is that big of a deal, but I think it's worth responding to. I'm still looking forward to hanging out w/ you this weekend + competing in the future with you, so please don't take this as anything more than an observation/comment.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Chi. I am not putting words in your mouth.
So please re-read.
But by playing to win usually means stressing yourself out to do extraordinarily well. I'm just not doing that.
Other than that, not responding to anything else since it's pointless. ='P

Oh. Also. I'm not making any excuses about my performances? I'm just defending myself from your shoutout. I could care less about how I preformed. I made it out of pools and I'm 100% saatiisfiiieed.

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
@Chi, ='P Hard opponents?
Who was hard that I had to fight?

well... thanks. x.x

i feel like i've improved a lot too and i proved to myself and to my opponents that i've got potential >.>

@chi: i just gotta give you more of the MU experience man. XD i hope you run into a scrub wolf at ohaycon! XD

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
SHOUTOUTS:

Hehe, top 3 God Kais again.
1: Infern :snake: : Good **** once again. Someday I'll manage to take a game off of you... someday...
2: Y.b.M. :kirby2: :zerosuitsamus: : Good **** sir. How are you so good?
3: Blue Rogue :wario: : Beware the Japanese Giant Hornet!
4: Hilt :olimar: : Indeed there are. EC has pocket MKs, MW has pocket Marios XD Also, that combo... oh god that combo!
5: Nope :snake:/:wario: : Good to see you again, and glad to see you didn't lose your touch. I'm taking at least one game next time!
5: vVv DJ Iskaskribble :metaknight: : Stop reshuffling my deck every time I see you! (Oh and relearn that snake MU) Also, my Wolf kinda sucks, but we're teaching you that MU when I move down there.
7: Sneakytako :rob: : GGs. You are a lot of fun to play against, and a good player. Get out of :rob:th place!
7: Mister Eric :rob: : I don't think I've ever played you in singles :( GGs in doubles though beep!
9: Fonz :lucario: :metaknight: : Good **** in doubles. I wish I would have gotten a chance to play some matches with you. Ah well, maybe next time.
9: Fizzle :dedede: :metaknight: : Stop talking to Coney XD Now I need to find a new way to play against good D3s, because that advice obviously works...
9: Sorasin :falco: : It was good seeing you again, and thanks for the MM. I'll get you next time though.
9: Luminoth :wolf: :diddy: : GGs and thanks for the MM. Silly knees, I'll get you guys one of these days! Also, you gotta teach me to Wolf better. Good **** in your set vs Scribble btw.
13: Mr. E :rob: : Gotta go join your brothers in :rob:th place!
13: Chris4ever :ike: : I don't think I saw or played you.
13: Sai :diddy: : GGs and thanks for the MM. Ouch, you wrecked me. I'll get you next time though.
13: Today :gw: :metaknight: : Were you in a bad mood? Hope to get some friendlies in with you next time, because I visibly have no idea how to fight G&W.
17: Clowsui :falco: : GGs. Control your temper And you'll have me. It's obvious that you're the better player, and I really shouldn't be winning these MMs.
17: Steel Samurai :marth: : GGs. Those were some really close games. Didn't think I'd win that set TBH.
17: Links24 :toonlink: : You can do better than that! Thanks for teaming with me, as always. Sorry for sleeping so much in the car.
17: Excel :popo: :metaknight: : Good to see you again, like always. Sorry I didn't get a chance to play you. How'd that Sonic/Lucario MM with Fonz go?
21: KirikouRung :metaknight: : Fun friendlies. You're improving at a rapid rate. Keep it up and you'll get there soon.
21: Fromundaman :kirby2: : Wow, stop sucking so hard at both smash and pinball.
21: Shadobot :marth: : Don't think we played.
21: Nicalobe :yoshi2: : I didn't see you here! Man, sorry I missed you.
25: KassandraNova :metaknight: : We finally got to play, although only in doubles, but it's too bad you seemed in a bad mood. Don't let anger get the better of you; you're better than this placement.
25: Crash :bowser2: : Oh god the bowser! It surprised me actually, because you're not bad at all with him, and I felt dumb as hell every time a Fsmash or something hit.
25: OfftheHeezay :marth: : Don't think I played you.
25: e__ :metaknight: : Don't think I played you.
29: HaelPhael :pikachu2: :rob: :falco: :metaknight: :kirby2: : Gah, I missed you again. I just remembered I owe you a MM from a while back too. Hopefully next time...
29: Calebyte :mario2: : Damn, your Mario surprised me. It's way better than I thought it was, and definitely better than mine IMO. Sorry I didn't go Mario on you, but I didn't think I would win if I did (and you scared my Kirby a few times too!)
29: Steep :mario2: : You're definitely improving. You're way better than you were last time I played you. Keep improving (though if you want to see placement improvement you'll probably need to switch characters :p )
29: Brandon :gw: : Brandon what happened? I'm guessing this is why you decided **** Brawl, gonna go win money in CoD?

Special shoutouts:

Clowsui: Thank you for running this tournament, and this being my first time at this venue, allow me to say it is absolutely amazing.

Nintendo energy drinks: These taste like ***, but they were the most amazing thing on concept.
To quote Jellytime: ‎"Don't drink Donkey Kong's Jungle Juice. It tasted like he nutted in my mouth, but it's okay since it was DK."

Judge Dredd Pinball Machine: You own my soul. Thank god you were on free play, or I would be about $300 down. Definitely one of the top 2 machines I have played, and one of the hardest (**** you center pursuit ramp!). This is the first time I've gone to a smash tournament and spent less time playing smash than a non-smash game. Yes, I love pinball enough to leave a pinball machine a shoutout.

Luminoth64

Smash Ace
9: Luminoth :wolf: :diddy: : GGs and thanks for the MM. Silly knees, I'll get you guys one of these days! Also, you gotta teach me to Wolf better. Good **** in your set vs Scribble btw.
hahah thanks man. :D there are 12 more than sora and myself that you can go after! if you ever wanna play wifi, hit me up on here. i can show you some things, but wifi wolf is different than offline. XD

@Infern: you know it man! my goal is to at least make HM!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ewwww Wifi... I can try it in the interest of learning, but I can't play it seriously; it just ends up frustrating me too much.

But yeah, I'll hit you up for it probably in the next week. If you could teach me the Wolf/Kirby MU as well that would be awesome (I hate the kirby ditto with a passion, so I've been trying to use Wolf for it.).

Calebyte

Smash Lord
fromundoman said:
29: Calebyte :mario2: : Damn, your Mario surprised me. It's way better than I thought it was, and definitely better than mine IMO. Sorry I didn't go Mario on you, but I didn't think I would win if I did (and you scared my Kirby a few times too!)
Thanks man! I've been working really hard lately trying to improve, glad it's starting to show! I'm glad you went Kirby, gives me some MU experience. I love Mario dittos but only in friendlies. Thought I had you in game 2, but whatevs, I had a blast playing you! ^_^

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Oh **** I almost forgot. Thank you for reminding me, Fro.

1: Doctor Who Pinball Machine: I regret not being able to get a legit picture of you. I was a scrub at pinball when I walked into the building but I walked out a champion. I ****ed those Daleks UP.

2: Shoutouts to Galagay:: We didn't get to play but I saw your matches against others and you were definitely on your game. Sucks that I had to leave before we got a game in. I have you at home though so we've got all the time in the world. It was just great seeing you again, you're ****in awesome.

3: DDR Extreme 2: Man you just weren't on it today. Your timing was off and everything. Talk to DJ Iskasnuggy and get him to get you back on your game.

4: Mother ****in JOUST: Man I don't even know what was going on when we played you just ****ed me up. Like I don't think Fizzle did either, he had to call me in for backup and everything. I think if he and I teamed up we could've stood a chance but we were too busy fighting each other. Sometimes you just have to put your differences aside to take down your common foe. We have a lot to learn, Frank.

5: Japanese Paper Mario: You have no idea. You have no idea how much I wanted to buy you. You have no idea.

5: Chocolate Rice Crispie: Glad you came out of retirement, it was great seeing you again. Sucks that Fizzle had to go and snatch you away. I really hate that kid.

7: Third Strike Machine: Why are the cool characters always ****ty?

7: Broken Battlezone Cabinet: Man why did you even come to the venue if you knew you were gonna be playin like garbage ****.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

4: Mother ****in JOUST: Man I don't even know what was going on when we played you just ****ed me up. Like I don't think Fizzle did either, he had to call me in for backup and everything. I think if he and I teamed up we could've stood a chance but we were too busy fighting each other. Sometimes you just have to put your differences aside to take down your common foe. We have a lot to learn, Frank.
THEY HAD JOUST?! Why was I not aware of this?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Top Bottom