• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Stuff that ends in fair..... A Sheik Social Thread!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I was gonna make a similar joke, then i realized that you were probably making that joke... I didnt know how to carry it tho lol

Beat!

Smash Master
AoE also = Age of Empires and I don't know what kids you were watching but it's usually anything but 'stupid and non-competitive'.
Idk about aoe 1, but I've read that competitive AoE 2 is played with a random map generator. That sounds like the dumbest thing ever.

Zoler

Smash Ace
I think i saw some kids on my floor play AoE2 but it looked really stupid and non competitive
AoE2 is far from non competitive, it has lots of multitasking, micro+macro, harassing, rushing and various forms of timings.

Everything in Starcraft pretty much. Fun fact: AoE2 at high level is never played at max game speed, as it is too fast for a human to play the game efficient. Max speed in AoE2 isn't that much faster than max speed Starcraft, but AoE2 has actually a bit more multitasking requirements.

The downside is that there is pretty much only one "race", the different nations all are the same in the core, with some different units (2-3 out of ~10). There is also one broken race, the huns, which doesn't need to build houses to increase their supply (they have max from start).

Other from the huns it's pretty balanced.

AoE2 has been in WCG a lot and people still play it competitively online, I don't do it myself but I defenitely like the game as I enjoy most RTS games that aren't stupid in some way.

Beat: Matches are pretty much never decided by the random map generator (it's not fully random, all starting positions always have bushes, the same amount of sheeps and boars in the area which are the main mean for food early on. The same with gold and stone mines), but I agree that any random factor how small it may be is unnecessary. Yes, peaches random turnips are bad.

Zoler

Smash Ace
1) in that BW clip, you can't even see half the battle. That is a huge improvement that sc2 has provided.
2) Ease of use has nothing to do with depth. Automatic l canceling wouldn't increase or decrease depth, it just removes needless clicks.
3) Masters was introduced last fall, not january. Since then the metagame has shifted intensely. A year ago people won consistently with all ins, 1-2 base play, ect, where now it is uncommon to find a game end in less than 3 bases per player.
4) your worries are unfounded. The genre is built on not having enough APM to possibly do everything. Btw, fOrGG joined oGs and just qualified for code A this season (under the name oGsFin)
Masters was added in patch 1.2 which was released earliest 10th january. Don't try to correct me when you have no idea yourself =)

Also I'm still watching matches even though I'm not playing. I know people like Morrow, Haypro etc. from SCBW, I'm pretty up to date regarding themeta game.

Yeah, I saw that forgg joined, it's pretty cool. Even though he's bad in scbw and have been for 2 years (guess why he starts playing sc2). Anyways some scbw pros in SC2 would definitely make things interesting.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah you're right. I thought it was released earlier, my fault.

Btw sources say flash is playing sc2 now :D

Zoler

Smash Ace
That would be cool, I've been following that kid ever since he started becoming good... God.

Probably my favorite terran after Boxer and Iloveoov.

Beat!

Smash Master
I hope I'll become relevant in SC2 eventually. Atm I'm just a terrible gold, soon-to-be plat player :/. Only played for a month though.

Such a fun game. Makes me wonder why I never got into BW.

Zoler

Smash Ace
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=280168

i think i read something about iloveoov, too. Who knows.
Iloveoov is married. He may be a coach if SKT1 becomes a SC2 team, who knows.

Flash... As far as I know Flash has already done what he wanted to do in BW, be the most dominating player ever, that was his goal. I could definitely see him switch has he has nothing left except ****** more and getting a even closer to 100% win rating. LOL

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Well according to that link every major BW team except one is confirmed to be practicing SC2. SK CJ and STX all changed their equipment to stuff that can play sc2, too.

edit- on iloveoov, i dont really know the guy so i dont remember what was said, but i remember seeing his name quite a bit recently. He may already be a coach or something. Or maybe people are just name dropping him like "i wish iloveoov would play sc2". I can't remember so idk why i even brought it up lol

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
AoE2 is far from non competitive, it has lots of multitasking, micro+macro, harassing, rushing and various forms of timings.

Everything in Starcraft pretty much. Fun fact: AoE2 at high level is never played at max game speed, as it is too fast for a human to play the game efficient. Max speed in AoE2 isn't that much faster than max speed Starcraft, but AoE2 has actually a bit more multitasking requirements.

The downside is that there is pretty much only one "race", the different nations all are the same in the core, with some different units (2-3 out of ~10). There is also one broken race, the huns, which doesn't need to build houses to increase their supply (they have max from start).

Other from the huns it's pretty balanced.

AoE2 has been in WCG a lot and people still play it competitively online, I don't do it myself but I defenitely like the game as I enjoy most RTS games that aren't stupid in some way.

Beat: Matches are pretty much never decided by the random map generator (it's not fully random, all starting positions always have bushes, the same amount of sheeps and boars in the area which are the main mean for food early on. The same with gold and stone mines), but I agree that any random factor how small it may be is unnecessary. Yes, peaches random turnips are bad.
Thanks for the support there! I knew it wasn't a bad game... ^_^ To be honest, I always thought the Teutons and the Saracens were broken.

Zoler

Smash Ace
Thanks for the support there! I knew it wasn't a bad game... ^_^ To be honest, I always thought the Teutons and the Saracens were broken.
When I played the game as a kid my favorites was the Teutons :D badass knights ftw!

Salevits

Smash Apprentice
> Be a child
> Stay over @ a friends place
> Play aoe2
> Type in a few cheats
> Build a wall made of Wonders around your troops and watch the CPU trying to get through while drinking some hot chocolate.

Ah the memories.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
So which did you play on more often? All ages or Post-Empire Age (IV). I used to play quite competitively w/ my friends, so we always played Post-Empire Age so all our time and resources could go into building and fighting, especially since some civs had much more to research than others.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
> Be a child
> Stay over @ a friends place
> Play aoe2
> Type in a few cheats
> Build a wall made of Wonders around your troops and watch the CPU trying to get through while drinking some hot chocolate.

Ah the memories.
i did similar things in custom games on scbw

3rd grade, cannons everywhere, never attacked

my old savefile on my older cousin's computer...

Zoler

Smash Ace
So which did you play on more often? All ages or Post-Empire Age (IV). I used to play quite competitively w/ my friends, so we always played Post-Empire Age so all our time and resources could go into building and fighting, especially since some civs had much more to research than others.
You always start from the dark age.

Here's a AoE2 pro match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwsUUfcs4jA

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I watched that whole 12 minute video (didnt go on to the second part) and i guess thats sorta cool. I can see it takes skill, but I don't think I would be too interested in playing it (the hotkeys/control look really awkward compared to what im used to)

Zoler

Smash Ace
There's no trade carts since pro matches are generally 1vs1. Food and wood are pretty much infinite. There's enough gold and stone on the standard maps for an at least 40 - 1 hour game.

Resources are never on high either, but standard. It's easy to run out when all you do is mine mine mine and never attack. ^^

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Does that trick need a certain browser to do it? I can't see anything w/ my regular Firefox browser... :(

There's no trade carts since pro matches are generally 1vs1. Food and wood are pretty much infinite. There's enough gold and stone on the standard maps for an at least 40 - 1 hour game.

Resources are never on high either, but standard. It's easy to run out when all you do is mine mine mine and never attack. ^^
Well, on the contrary, I usually find myself running out of stone most often when I go offensive. I have a lot of workers mining stone, often enough to deplete one mine in a couple minutes, while I make castles closer to the enemies' bases. Btw, the font in the vid was too small for me to see. What's the pop limit of these tourney games? 150?

Edit: Also, the best units (Paladins, unique units, trebuchets) use up gold so after making a lot of those.......well, you see what I mean.

JustBlind

Smash Rookie
Had a short question, how do you guys practice situational tech in friendlies? I spam new tech in games till I get it but for stuff like weak bair to fair, failling weak uair to grab, dair on missed techs/get up attacks etc. that are really good if you can get it to happen, especially at low-mid percents, I can't really spam it to practice since it only applies in one situation every game or two and on 1 out of 4 stocks, I'd have to recognize the situation then consciously tell myself to do the new stuff rather than what I usually do but by then it's usually too late.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
KK, ORLY is trying to steal the dash attack -> tip usmash combo... he says he invented it
It was honestly probably CJ or something. I've seen Plank do it too. I know others have done dair > up smash before me as well. I just love doing it and I think I use it the most (except maybe mew2king).

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
I used to think that KK was better than me, but then I observed him losing to a captain falcon.

(It's okay, I lose to random people too)

:D

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You're probably better vs ICs, Falcon, and all low tiers.

I think I'm just gonna watch you vs Falcon for a while and just copy what you do and then figure out a way to make it gayer.

Then I think I'll be good.

Top Bottom