• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should the Timer be Set to 10 Minutes?

Should the Timer be Set to 10 Minutes?

• Total voters

Nike.

Smash Hero
Simple question.

And lol, I can't find the poll option. Can a Mod put a poll with options "Yes" and "No"?

Tesh

Smash Hero
Do 12, 4 minutes per stock would deter timeouts soooooo hard.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
But then you would have stupid arguments like "our sets would last 36 min"

Tesh

Smash Hero
100% of voters have answered No.

Close thread plz.

On a more serious note, I really think we should just lower the stock count instead of raising the timer. After 4 years, people should be able to stop crying about SDs or adapting to their opponents.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think a better question would be "Should the timer be increased?" instead. Seeing if the community is interested in increasing the timer at all is a more important endeavor than trying to get people to agree on a specific increased timer.

allshort17

Smash Ace
Why don't we do what Tesh said and lower the stock count (to two stocks), but we keep the time the same. If we do that then overall matches will be shorter, at most matches could take as long as they do now, and it will discourage timeouts.

Cassio

Smash Master
Woah, this is such good timing. Cant wait to see the results of another voluntary response poll :)

The Ben

Smash Journeyman
Certainly they'd get bored of stalling after a while? The player being stalled could almost actively do nothing as the staller tires himself over the course of a few hours.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I like the idea of a 9 minute timer. Either way, 8 minutes is too short. Time-outs seem to happen much too often.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
The timer should be set to 30 minutes :I

Anyone that disagrees should get @ me on delfino offline I:

:pichu:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Certainly they'd get bored of stalling after a while? The player being stalled could almost actively do nothing as the staller tires himself over the course of a few hours.
That's true, but in that same note if you're in a tourney with no timer you just tire yourself out overtime by waiting for nothing. Time is of the essence, you don't perform any better as you get more sleepy/bored/tired that's for sure. In this case, the troll is the real winner.

Not sure if that's what you want. :S I wouldn't mind, seeing as how I am not good enough to win through other means.

:093:

zmx

Smash Lord
This is really avoiding the main issue imo.

The polls that actually need to happen:

Should meta-knight be banned?
Should we adhere to a more conservative stagelist?

I don't care if they've already been done before. That was then and this is now. After Apex when the opinion of many has clearly changed (see the other topic).

Nike.

Smash Hero
Btw, I put the poll question as 10 minutes because it's what Japan uses.
Considering the recent talk of "Should USA switch to Japanese Ruleset?", this is one of those things that would go with it.

Thank you Twinkee (I can't spell it now since you just changed your username lol) for adding the poll <3

And wow, results are pretty 50/50 lol

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
The timer should be 6 minutes so we can just take a stock and plank the rest of the match (without going over the LGL).

No, seriously though, The timer should definitely be increased. Timeouts are much too common. And the timer also contributes to why MK is broken :3 If it matters. Yesterday I looked and the poll was 10 to 18 and I was like, aww. Then I saw today and was like, awesome. (24-24)

If we do extend the timer, timeouts will be much less frequent and much less reliable to people. It will improve our metagame :) And I think it was a great idea to poll this. Nice job! :D

Life

Smash Hero
One stock, three minutes, food on medium, Bo7 is my ideal.

The timer is fine at eight minutes, timeouts are a legitimate win condition, please stop trying to solve a problem that does not exist. broke your tie for you, kthxbai awww someone unbroke it! LOL

Japan also has that air time rule and whatnot that BPC tore to shreds a VERY long time ago. "Because Japan did it" is a stupid reason to do something.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I accidentally clicked yes, but I mean't no.
I don't see anything wrong with timeouts. Why is playing safe punished?
It's not like it's easy to time people out or anything.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
One stock, three minutes, food on medium, Bo7 is my ideal.

The timer is fine at eight minutes, timeouts are a legitimate win condition, please stop trying to solve a problem that does not exist. broke your tie for you, kthxbai awww someone unbroke it! LOL

Japan also has that air time rule and whatnot that BPC tore to shreds a VERY long time ago. "Because Japan did it" is a stupid reason to do something.
Food appears next to me while I am tilting and I get punished for it.

No one is saying that time outs aren't a legitimate win condition. They are just saying that the time limit is too low.

Japan does not use the air time rule anymore.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Timeouts are only legitimate if an adequate solution to them is being used, which is not the case.

:059:

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Less than 1% of matches actually timeout, and I'd wager that at least a few of those that would time out in 8 minutes will also time out in 10 minutes. You don't solve the problem by extending the timer. Further, it is arguable whether it is a problem at all: time outs are simply the TIMER performing it's function!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
8 mins means you can reasonably assume a set will not take longer than a half hour, so it helps with scheduling for TO's. Though admittedly I'm among the few that actually takes this into account.

8X3 = 24 w/ 6 mins of gap time for character selection/counterpicks/etc.

I would not be completely against 9 w/ 3 stocks only because it makes 3minutes = 1 stock look nice, but 10 is completely absurd and the only thing you would get is complete boredom in some matches for an extra 2 minutes.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
don't listen to alphazealot. Japan has always been using 10 minutes for as long as I can remember, and I've been trying to tell people that 10 minutes is better forever now. AZ's statement about those matches "going to time anyway" is false. From personal experience, I would not try to time people out if I saw 4 minutes left as opposed to 2 minutes for example, because it would be much harder to accomplish and I would be risking victory by going out of my way to try to do something that was unlikely to happen. 10 is better, AZ just wants to use the URC ruleset he created where it's 8 min, ridiculous stages, and mk banned. I've been pushing for 10 min since 2009 (I think) in bbr.

Furthermore, it would NOT lengthen tournaments, except by people who GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to falsely try to "prove a point", such as Overswarm, who's just doing it to be a **** and try to convince people he's right, when he actually is wrong. Why does it not lengthen tournaments? Well think about it, if there is 2 min left on the clock and you see timeout as a viable strategy and you want to win, wouldn't you TRY to time them out? I would, because I want to win. Reflex did this against vinnie at apex too (actually half the top wario's try to do this), but with 2 extra minutes, running away to achieve victory is HARDER. If it's not a reasonable strategy to win (increasing the timer by 2 minutes would make this MUCH harder; not a little, A LOT) then people will ATTEMPT IT A LOT LESS OFTEN and this could SHORTEN tournaments BECAUSE PEOPLE WON'T USE THAT AS A STRATEGY. The argument about increasing the length of tournaments is not true, unless people go out of their way to do it (overswarm) just to be annoying and say "see, i was right!" but that's not good for winning, which 99% of SERIOUS players are going to try to do especially at big events.

Player-1

Smash Legend
The 1% timeout thing is pretty dated now, not to mention the fact that the statistics used for that counted literally only timeouts, not matches that went down to the last 30 seconds or last 10 seconds or last one second which essentially are a timeout. They didn't count people that just no contested in the last 5 seconds or anything. Most matches aren't high level play either, once you get to a higher level of play timouets are more of a problem which also skews those statistics. M2K isn't going to timeout some random Ice Climber player first round bracket that can't even CG that he can just wreck anyway.

Tesh

Smash Hero
^ I agree with AZ, but I've always been pretty disappointed that he tossed out that 1% stat like it really means something.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
We want to play the game at a natural pace. The timer's function is to provide a physical limitation to that, since of course we can't have tournaments going on forever. If we could play without worry of time constraints, we would not play with a timer. 3 stocks, let's go.

Further, it is arguable whether it is a problem at all: time outs are simply the TIMER performing it's function!
When we reach a point where the timer is interfering with the natural pace of a game, bureaucracy is interfering with results. Not good.

Brawl is simply not an under-30-min set game. It's harmful to try and force it to be.

Tesh

Smash Hero
don't listen to alphazealot. Japan has always been using 10 minutes for as long as I can remember, and I've been trying to tell people that 10 minutes is better forever now. AZ's statement about those matches "going to time anyway" is false. From personal experience, I would not try to time people out if I saw 4 minutes left as opposed to 2 minutes for example, because it would be much harder to accomplish and I would be risking victory by going out of my way to try to do something that was unlikely to happen. 10 is better, AZ just wants to use the URC ruleset he created where it's 8 min, ridiculous stages, and mk banned. I've been pushing for 10 min since 2009 (I think) in bbr.

Furthermore, it would NOT lengthen tournaments, except by people who GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to falsely try to "prove a point", such as Overswarm, who's just doing it to be a **** and try to convince people he's right, when he actually is wrong. Why does it not lengthen tournaments? Well think about it, if there is 2 min left on the clock and you see timeout as a viable strategy and you want to win, wouldn't you TRY to time them out? I would, because I want to win. Reflex did this against vinnie at apex too (actually half the top wario's try to do this), but with 2 extra minutes, running away to achieve victory is HARDER. If it's not a reasonable strategy to win (increasing the timer by 2 minutes would make this MUCH harder; not a little, A LOT) then people will ATTEMPT IT A LOT LESS OFTEN and this could SHORTEN tournaments BECAUSE PEOPLE WON'T USE THAT AS A STRATEGY. The argument about increasing the length of tournaments is not true, unless people go out of their way to do it (overswarm) just to be annoying and say "see, i was right!" but that's not good for winning, which 99% of SERIOUS players are going to try to do especially at big events.
For you and anyone else meatriding Japan's ruleset, keep in mind that they don't have as much time constraints as we do because they often run things like single elimation brackets, Bo1 sets in pools and loser's brackets and such. 10 minute matches isn't a big deal at all when you play 1/3 or 1/2 of the tournament sets you would in the west.

There is no reason you guys can't just compromise and reduce the stock count and slightly reduce the timer to 6 or 7. Timeouts are less probably and tournaments are shorter in theory AND in practice.

Top Bottom