• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] No Johns Monthly! April 19th!! Project M ! (Nanuet, NY)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Also:

Midnite: Yo. Good stuff. I really liked that Platform game. I noticed you didn't really use it much until the CLUTCH time. Like, when things had to be decided haha. Also, I really liked the hype loool. It was fun. It did make me a bit nervous. ;o We should play again.

Max?

Smash Champion
What happened to the 4000+ entrants that were supposed to go to this?

Ranmaru, I don't plan on going to tournies for awhile, I have bigger priorities than wasting $ on this game atm.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ah, I understand man. Keep it real. I'mma watch some more of your vids tho. I really liked your set vs Forward, hahaha.

Max?

Smash Champion
I would argue there was a point in time where we had good turnouts and people actually played the game and tried to improve. There was a point where I would say it was the best region in the world, but no longer, it's deaded

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Don't make serious posts when I was ****ing around >:[

I'm gonna sound like an *** but I'll be frank, I think some of the better players stopped trying so hard because theres what, only 1 tournament series in the Tristate region and Jesus/Aziz/m2k go to each of them.

As much as I hate to admit it, high level players go to tournaments to have fun and hope to win something, even a little. And with 3 players that are incredible and payouts being just top 3 its hopeless and it deters people to play.

**** attitude to have but yea I admit I had that thought process at a point in time.

Though my absence today was because I literally have 15 dollars to my name.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I mostly agree with Haley. I also don't think it deters ppl necessarily but I genuinely think in most cases people just have lives/jobs/obligations. Locals are there for practice if you want it/need it since not all of us are blessed with having fests to go to.

You're never going to see the amount of people you would have seen in 2005/2006 before the Brawl era tbh. You just can't expect that unless you got some real hype being brought (out of staters, guests in titles etc).

It doesn't mean tri state melee is dead though. I can safely say I saw a lot of fresh faces today.

:phone:

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Ppl just don't understand the people at the top are not that spectacular. Amateur brackets would help tbh. WV will bring hype to these mugs soon.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
lol the whole "no johns/tri state melee is dead" again? Really? I think this thread goes through that dialog a least twice a year. Probably coming to the next one. A little break from OOS traveling for me since we've developed our own little scene here. Must get in the lab and reinvent

PK Webb

Smash Champion
mad new faces i was surprised to be honest......max can u plz stop sayin tristate is dead ur proclamations arent helping the scene but hurting it...it was like 23 or 24 man bracket and sum ppl didnt want to enter cuz they didnt want to pay to get *****....i believe a am bracket would be cool just to get new ppl to enter and since alu is a g at running fast brackets i can see it being done. like i sat down and talked to sum newer faces and alot didnt enter because they didnt want to go 0-2 for $10. i understand just about all of us had the 0-2 phase but we have to give newer players sum more play sum how. like 1 person was like i was gonna enter till i played friendlies and realized how much better every1 is. granted it is a tourney and u should expect some beast players like p90 curl but i can see where they are coming from. me personally imma try and just hype up random *** matches like i did with ranmaru vs midnite i think little acts like that can keep ppl coming back. that am bracket shud happen tho and u dont have to do poools it could be every1 outside of top 10 or something. just a thought ill do my shout outs when results get posted

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah they felt that they would rather get more EXPERIENCE playing some friendlies. Although some of them said that they learned alot from playing people there.

Also I had alot of fun, especially that hyped match I had haha.

Paramedic

Smash Rookie
Good stuff. Came from NYC to get MERKED. Need more skillz to pay teh billz. I agree with above posters, am bracket would be nice so newbs don't have to pay $10 just to get destroyed. True story.

Shoutouts to Smellycat, Ranmaru, GOP had fun chatting with you guys. Was an eye opening first tournament.

:phone:

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Well to get it straight AM bracket isn't just for noobs. AM bracket is a good way to let the mid-level guys thrive too. Wow a 23-24 man bracket? Thats actually very solid given the people who did not show up. Good job.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Wait what? What's with this dead tristate business. T.Webb only listed the top 5. The turnout was good lol. 30 people came, just only like 25 entered I think.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Teams didn't even start until 4, it's not like there wouldn't be time to run another event. Remember the crew battles from the beginning of No Johns?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Most efficient no johns ever lol. Teams started at like 4:30, singles was done by like 8 with 25 entrants.

Poly

Smash Rookie
bleh

would've gone but i've grown so accustomed to playing level 9s that i would rather not pay $10 to get 0-2. maybe next time! is there board for people in NNJ/NY state near Nanuet that play friendlies often? i'd be down to play to improve my skills

Alukard

Smash Hero
Singles

they split like lames ^_~
1: M2K
1: hax

3: DOH
4: StriCNYN3
5: twebb
5: hobo <<<< JMAN got blown up cuz he thinks he can place well without playing ^_~
7: sensei
7: nando
9: ultima scout
9: oorah
9: enzo
9: phish it
13: punch
13: jsex
13: chain ace
13: vin
17: ranmaru
17: midnight man
17: blank dots
17: internet explorer
17: nopted
17: deku
25: paramedic

Doubles

1: hobo + hax
2: DOH + M2K
3: d1 + enzo
4: Twebb + crismas
5: alukard + DJN << got blown up cuz that guy alukard sucks soo bad ^_~
5: jsex + ultimascout
7: mark + ryan
7: Minuteman + vin
9: oorah + phish it
9: gop + deez

doubles started at 430 and finished at 520 ... and then singles started at 540 and ended at 730 only took that long cuz m2k and a few others wouldn't report matches and had me running around pressing reset !! homies forget i have that W2Z finger ready!!!

anyway i had a ton of fun hyping up matches for the new guys and next one in march should be a really nice sized one since i have people from all over coming ... i WILL have an am bracket ALSO i would like to treat that no johns kinda like a mini major where we can start at an early time and not be soo laid back since i'm expecting a bunch of people ... so wats up tristate how does that sound ??

PK Webb

Smash Champion
1: M2K-hate ur marth for how beast it is
1: hax- keep ****** and lets get sum games in next time

3: DOH-1 day u wont 0-2 me
4: StriCNYN3-need to get my fox to ur falcos love
5: twebb
5: JMAN-teach me fox
7: sensei-y u so smart i got lucky with that shine spike it was all or nothing
7: nando-that falcon sooooo smooth
9: ultima scout- nice sets
9: oorah- thx 4 the warm ups y u sooo hyped
13: jsex- ur gettin good fast its scary
13: chain ace-good stuff recording
13: vin- keep at it u no what u gotta do just do it and go to tourneys
17: ranmaru- practice man imma be hyping all ur sets up
17: midnight man-see ranmaru
17: internet explorer- nice link thought i'd neva say that
17: deku: send me trunks fox!!!!
smellycat:enter next time thats how u get better

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Hey Brian if you plan on AM bracket could you let us know in the title thread? If you aren't planning on one then I would help someone run it. I would likely not be able to stay the whole time, but I could at least run some of it and help create bracket etc etc.

Paramedic

Smash Rookie
Might make it out again to play some friendlies & watch some good matches. Taking the NJ transit from NYC sucks, although it wasn't nearly as far as some people came for it.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Hey Brian if you plan on AM bracket could you let us know in the title thread? If you aren't planning on one then I would help someone run it. I would likely not be able to stay the whole time, but I could at least run some of it and help create bracket etc etc.
definitely plan on running it ... ^_^

also tec0 show up dammit!! <3

Top Bottom