• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MBR Application Process is Closed

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
Well here goes.

Smashboards Username: Bing
Region: Niagara Region, Ontario,Canada
Primary Character(s):Fox
Secondary Character(s):Falco,Peach,Falcon,Pikachu, Marth.

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A. Year and a Half

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A.I attend all the local tournaments and am looking to attend more Out of country tournaments within the near future.
We dont have much of a local scene, I've been trying to build it up since before I truly got started in competitive smash.
As to the regional scene, I attend every GTA monthly that we have and I feel that I am pretty familiar with the scene.
For the national/International scene, I've only attended Apex thus far, but I am looking to branch out further. I am also one of the hosts for this years Nationals, Impulse.

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. Average and moving up.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A.I feel that they would be on the fence about this. Truthfully speaking, I am lacking knowledge in some departments, but I do have a decent knowledge about many characters and MU's. I also am always looking to expand my knowledge and read everything possible. So I feel that some would support this, the ones who truly understand how adamant I am in becoming better.

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A. In discussions that I truly feel "connected" with yes I can be.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. As I posted earlier, Im one of the tournament organizers of Impulse, I've also been trying to build a local scene to host more tournaments.

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A. Generally the tier list is accurate, I do feel that the mid tier do need to be shuffled around a little. I feel that a character Like Pikachu should be slotted in the C tier and that Ylink she be switched with Mario.

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A.I do believe that the MBR stage list is fair, I mean, the only stages that are left are all relatively basic with little stage interference. I.e Dreamlands wind, Yoshi's Fly Guys + Randall. Pokemon Stadium does transform creating different strategies and a touch of intereference but regardless, its fair. I do however wish that there were more stages available, but when you look at the stages that could potentially be used, theres always something that makes each one non-viable.

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A. Completely, I feel that the time alotted and stock amount are the right amount allowing a solid match while giving a player a chance to recover from an early mistake.

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. At this stage in my "career" I feel it a combination of both. Tech Skill is a necessity but it can only get you so far. That is where a strong strategy comes into play. No one generally wins on strength alone in this game.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. I believe that Maximizing Punishments are the most important because racking up damage and eventually getting the stock is pretty difficult when you can only chip away with a few hits. Stocks can be taken in a matter of moments, so if you don't take full advantage of your opportunity to punish, you're possibly giving the opponent another chance to punish you.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. I do believe that Melee does have a limited lifespan as do all things. Nothing lasts forever. The factors I believe that would contribute to this would be that yes it is getting older, and as this game gets older, and the current pros begin retiring, and our "fountain of youth" eventually dries up, then one day it will become difficult to find people to play, tournaments, scenes in general. Now with that being said, I also do believe that this game has awhile before this does occur, I mean, based on tournament attendance lists, and the emergence of new, strong players all the time, we have awhile yet.

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A. An issue I've seen is that many players dont really understand what it is that competitive gaming is all about. A lot of gamers see competitive gaming as a waste of time. We need to show these people that yes, we have put in a lot of work to master our craft, yet we do it for yes the competition of something we love. But its all a friendly gathering, a place to meet new amazing people and so much more then what meets the eye.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. When I first began playing smash competitively, I was nervous, I had idolized these people for years and here was my chance to meet and face them. And this is where Kirbykaze comes in, he greeted me into the community first hand with open arms. This is what we need to stimulate the community. A lot of people on the fence about competitive smash are too nervous of these famous celebrities to write a post because they are afraid of the response. We need the pros to see these new people and be welcoming, as much as possible.

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. I think the MBR would benefit from my opinions and my willingness to learn. I know for a fact that I do not know everything, and I can accept this. I do however feel that my eagerness to create new scenes and bring in new "talent" to the scene could be of the most benefit.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link:http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298700&highlight=Story+of+a+noob
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300107&highlight=Story+of+a+noob
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=300318&highlight=Story+of+a+noob
i. Description: These are a series of stories I wrote when I first began competitive smash. The reason why these are contributions to the melee community is that after writing these, I began receiving messages from people telling me about how reading my stories gave them the urge and hope to get involved in the community themselves instead of just lurking the boards in fear.

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: KirbyKaze
i. Reason: The first pro I ever spoke with, has the most general knowledge aswell as a friendly attitude. He is loved around the boards and I feel that KK is probably the most loved MBR member.
2. Player:Dr PeePee
i. Reason: PPMD is a very knowledgeable and kind smasher who is always giving and seeking advice. Has a lot of theories and is another well respected player in the community.
3. Player: Wobbles
i. Reason: Very intelligent but doesn't post as frequently as the other two I listed. Has very strong theories and is always able to back up them with a good debate.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer:
I agree with Sirlin's general theory on play to win,however when disected it's not really that can have all aspects applied to a competitive gaming scene like Smash. Our community is partially based on being one as a community and if everyone was to come to tournaments simply to just win. The community with shrink as it would become unenjoyable to play and tournament scene would become dull.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS: I feel that I would be a good addition to the MBR because of my eagerness to learn and my wanting to expand the community in every way possible. I have a fairly decent general knowledge of almost every character, this is good for helping out newer players who are lost with whatever situation seems to be bothering them.
lol

:phone:

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I swear bing posts smart things in every thread in evey board. I go to super obscure threads like pichu matchups and there's bing leading a discussion a out pichu. Lol

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I mean i dont see other people besides maybe KK post as much in random locations as you. Im just going off what ive seen in my brief 3 months of browsing smashboards.

plus when shots are fired I usually defend somebody haha :)

Bing

Smash Master
aha well thanks :p I try to help as much as I can, though I wouldnt go as far to say that everything I say is smart, Im certainly wrong sometimes, but when I see an obvious solution I try, and its mostly in low tier boards because no one is there and the ones who are there... have no clue.(Not trying to insult anyone, but generally no one has a decent answer)

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I totally feel you. I wasnt calling you infallable. I just like that you take action to answer questions and contribute to discussions. Makes the boards more fun to see tons of people posting

Bing

Smash Master
lol thanks :)

Also Im sorry, I shouldnt generalize, there are some intelligent people that post in the low tier boards, just a lot dont generally know what they are talking aobut for the most part :p

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Two things:
One. There are so few low tier mains that have stuck with their character so usually its new people (me)
two: just noticed that you sigged my post haha XD

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I lol'd after shadowpheonix said "mr.pro" Sinji and said that my application was a lie when I didn't even put that there. lol

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
lets not get into technicalities here.
"high level" = lol

and im with bing here.
G Revolution is meh
vforce was pre good

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I want a purple name.

Smashboards Username: RaphaelRobo
Region: NC
Primary Character(s): Purple Ganondorf
Secondary Character(s): Yellow Kirby

REQUIRED

1. Q. How long have you been playing competitive melee?
A. A very very long time. Since last October, I think.

2. Q. How often do you attend tournaments? How familiar are you with your local scene? Your regional scene? The national/international scene?
A. I have never attended a tournament.
LOCAL: PP beats everyone.
REGIONAL: PP beats everyone.
NATIONAL: PP beats everyone except Mango.
INTERNATIONAL: There are countries outside of America?

3. Q. How would you classify yourself as a player relative to the current metagame? (beginner, average, high level, pro, etc.)
A. Pro. I talk to PP about stuff, and he tells me I'm right. Also, I have a flawless 0-X record. Not many people have a flawless record.

4. Q. Do you think the other individuals in your region would support you being a member of the MBR? Why?
A. There are other individuals in my region?

5. Q. Do you consider yourself a discussion leader? Why?
A. Yes. I talk a lot. Like a teenage girl.

6. Q. Are you an active Tournament Organizer? If Yes, what are some recent tournaments you have hosted? If No, what are some ways you feel you contribute to your local scene despite not being a TO?
A. Tournaments? What are those?

7. Q. Do you feel that the current tier list is accurate? Why?
A. No. In the future, when we have a perfect spacing metagame, everything is going to be about Uthrow suicides with Kirby. Therefore, Kirby should be at the top of the tier list.

8. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended stage list is fair? Why?
A. No. A fair list would only have purple stages. For example, BF and FD. However, there are some stages on our current list that don't have any purple on them. This is unacceptable. Also, we should remove all random influences. Our stage list should like something like the following:
Hyrule Temple
PokéFloats
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Final Destination
Battlefield
Big Blue

However, that list still has stages that lack purple, so our list should really be the following:
PokéFloats
Final Destination
Battlefield
Big Blue

9. Q. Do you feel that the current MBR recommended rule set is fair? Why?
A. No. Some people bring purple controllers to tournaments. Because purple is an amazing color, these players clearly have an advantage. There should be some sort of handicap to help people who don't have purple controllers. Also, there should be a bonus for using Ganon's Fair.

10. Q. What is more important to you: Tech Skill or Strategy? Why?
A. Neither. I prefer trash talk. My tech skill and strategy aren't good enough to beat PP. However, creating a video about Kentucky Fried Falco counts as a win.

11. Q. What is more important to you: Maximizing Punishments (Combos) or Initiating Punishments (First Hits)? Why?
A. Neither. What is most important to me is Kirby's taunt. Unlike combos or first hits, Kirby's taunt guarantees a moral victory.

12. Q. Does SSBM have a limited lifespan as a competitive community due to its age or any other factor? Why or why not?
A. Yes. Eventually, everyone's going to die. Then no one will be left to play Melee.

13. Q. What do you think could be done to expand our community?
A. That depends on what you mean by expand. Obviously, McDonalds would be a good way to allow us to expand.

14. Q. What do you think the MBR could do to stimulate the community?
A. That depends on what you mean by stimulate. I imagine some photos like this would stimulate a lot of Melee players.

15. Q. How do you think the MBR would benefit from your input?
A. My birthday is coming up this Sunday. You could all use that as an excuse to have cake. That seems like a pretty good benefit, in my opinion.

OPTIONAL

1. Please provide up to 5 examples of contributions you have made to the melee community. Links to exceptional, informative posts are highly valued here.
1. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13649663&postcount=3704
i. Description: I started a discussion about Ganondorf being the best character in Melee that lead to this amazing post.
2. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13650041&postcount=3710
i. Description: I countered with this, proving that Ganondorf truly is the best character.
3. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14483140&postcount=597
i. Description: This post helped people understand that the MBR is actually just a group of popular girls.
4. Link: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14525299&postcount=66843
i. Description: I portrayed Leffen as a rapping dinosaur. Kind of like Barney. Rapping dinosaurs are cool.
5. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toJaH_I4t5I
i. Description: This video shows the future of fast food.
6. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6J6UoTlvU#t=3m24s
i. Description: This game is what all tournament matches should look like. Especially when I start planking at 4:17.

2. List up to three players you feel demonstrate good discussion ability or have outstanding contributions to the community and explain why you think they are a good example.
1. Player: PP
i. Reason: He was willing to do Kirby dittos with me and he had a cool beard.
2. Player: HBox
i. Reason: He has a cool beard.
3. Player: KK
i. Reason: He's a Digimon fan.

3. Have you read Sirlin's theories regarding "Play to Win"? Do you agree or disagree? Why? How do you think these theories affect and apply to the Melee community?
1. Answer: "Play to Win"? What is this "winning"?

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS/FINAL WORDS:
I actually have attended tournaments, so I lied when I said I hadn't. But I needed this application to pull off the right impression, so I had to lie.
I don't care about the MBR, I just want a purple name.
I like the color purple.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
fwiw your text is pink, not purple

seems like getting pranked and having a pink name/title would fit you better?

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
No, this is definitely purple. Well, it's more of a cross between purple and magenta. But it's definitely not pink.

And I like being a Smash Lord. It makes me feel like I have 6 Earth Djinn.

Top Bottom