• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CSRBT Season 1 - Arcade Legacy - CSRBT 1-5 on 10/7

clowsui

Smash Legend
Cincinnati Smash Ranking Battle Tournament Season 1, Tournament 1

INTRODUCTION
Cincinnati Smash has been slowly diminishing for a while now, but there seems to be some interest still in keeping the scene alive among newcomers and veterans alike. This is an effort to introduce new people into the Cincinnati Smash scene and the Super Smash Bros Brawl scene at large.

BACKGROUND/WHAT IS A RANBAT?

My name is Chi Wong, handle clowsui. I've been in the Brawl scene since its inception and I've run or helped run about 10 tournaments or so, the largest being 100+ people (School is in Session 4). I have a lot of experience TO'ing and so far all of the events that I have hosted myself have been a success. The most recent event which I hosted, REVENGE, drew 78 people from all around the Midwest and even got people from the Atlantic South.

Ranking battles, or ranbats for short, are tournaments that are unique in that they are part of a league and attribute ranking points to competitors based on their placement result in the tournament itself. This is the appeal of ranbats as a tournament format within a city - it allows newcomers to directly measure their skill and improvement and allows for veterans to do the same.

OKAY, SO LET'S SAY I GO TO CSRBT 1-1. NOW WHAT?

When you get to the door, first thing’s first: you need to pay your fees.
There are two fees associated with CSRBT tournaments: a one-time CSRBT entry fee and a venue fee that you have to pay each time you come to a CSRBT.

CSRBT Entry - $5
This puts you into the league and covers your entry for CSRBT 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 and possibly 1-5 (more on that later). Since CSRBT events are singles only for now, any side events determined at the venue by demand will be paid separately from the league fee.

Venue Fee - $5
This is the amount of money that goes directly to Jesse, the owner of the arcade. This fee must be paid every time one goes to a CSRBT.

From here you’ll be entered into the tournament, and all you need to do from there is play your matches!

RULES/PROCEDURES

The rules to the tournament can be found here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301032

CHANGES NOT INCLUDED IN THE RULES ABOVE:
Metaknight is legal
Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar are banned

Important things for newcomers:
1. You strike from the list of “starter” stages: Battlefield, FD, Smashville, Stadium 1, Castle Siege, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi’s Island. First person strikes 2, second 3, first 1 in that order. This is to make sure that the first game played is done on relatively even ground.
2. After a game in a 2/3 set, the winner bans a stage of the legal stages available, the loser picks a character, the winner picks their character then the loser picks their character.
3. Don’t forget to report the result of your match to the TO. Each match up until finals matches are 2/3; finals are 3/5.

RANBAT-SPECIFIC RULES

Point distributions are as follows:
1st 10
2nd 9
3rd 8
4th 7
5th 6
6th 5
7th 4
8th 3
9th 2
All others 1
If there are less than 16 people, then the top ½ of competitors will receive ranking points. Head-to-head matches determine 5th/6th/7th/8th place since brackets have two 5th and 7th places. If the two people who are competing for 5th and 6th/7th and 8th have met before, they will play in a three out of five set instead of a two out of three, with the previous victor having a 1-0 game count. Standard striking procedures apply.

At CSRBT 1-5, the final ranking battle, the top three point scorers will collect a distribution of the total CSRBT fees collected as follows:
1st 60%
2nd 30%
3rd 10%
For example, if the total number of league entrants is 16, then 1st receives $48, 2nd receives $24 and 3rd receives $8. This amount is collected independently of the placement in the tournament – i.e. if the top scorer gets 5th place then they will still receive the $48 sum.

If at least half the league competitors vote in favor of the measure, CSRBT 1-5 will have a $5 or $10 entry fee associated. Payout distribution will be as follows:
1st 60%
2nd 30%
3rd 10%
Note that people who are first-timers during CSRBT 1-5 must only pay the entry fee associated should the measure be voted into effect.

Special ranbat-specific “bonuses” may occur during the season. These will be announced ahead of time. For example, a “grudge” match bonus may occur where if a matchup between two players occurs for the second CSRBT in a row in the bracket, the set will be extended to a three out of five with a drink being purchased for the winner.

Unless tournament attendance exceeds 32, CSRBT is always in double-elimination bracket format.

SO WHAT IS THE SCHEDULING LIKE?

1:00 – 2:00 PM Registration
2:00 – 6:00 Singles Bracket
6:00 – 8:00 Casuals/Side Events/etc.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Me – 513-206-0500
Arcade Legacy - (513) 874-8766
Address 662 Cincinnati Mills Dr Cincinnati, OH 45240.

Any other questions, feel free to inquire!

clowsui

Smash Legend
CSRBT 1-1 Results
CSRBT 1-2 Results
CSRBT 1-3 Results
CSRBT 1-4 Results
Results Thread

CSRBT Points Total

1: Alphazealot - 38 pts
2: Carls - 37 pts
3: Mister Eric - 23 pts
4: Sneakytako - 21 pts
5: Fizzle - 20 pts
6: Luminoth - 17 pts
7: Sorasin - 16 pts
8: SoulPech - 14 pts
9: MX - 10 pts
9: Smile - 10 pts
9: Ralph Cecil - 10pts
12: Kero - 9 pts
13: Kel - 8 pts
13: Toastbread - 8 pts
15: clowsui - 7 pts
15: QUIVO - 7 pts
17: Ttar - 6 pts
17: Shadowphoenix - 6 pts
19: DRLR - 5 pts
19: Commander Gregorious - 5 pts
21: Juushichi - 4 pts
21: Steel Samurai - 4 pts
21: Rizner - 4 pts
21: Silver - 4 pts
21: Weiz - 4 pts
26: S2 - 3 pts
26: Sean - 3 pt
26: Metaflair - 3 pt
29: Hael Phael - 2 pts
29: Wiggy - 2 pts
29: Wrath - 2 pts
29: Rem - 2 pts
29: Chris Asher - 2 pt
34: Kevin - 1 pt
34: Sina - 1 pt
34: Wolf - 1 pt
34: Saber - 1 pt
34: Spencer E - 1 pt
34: Logan L - 1 pt
34: Haley - 1 pt
34: Adam - 1 pt
34: DtJCrashandtheLadies - 1 pt
34: Betadyne - 1 pt
34: Tomosumi - 1 pt
34: Cole - 1 pt
34: Chris - 1 pt
34: Matthew - 1 pt
34: Devon - 1 pt
TOTAL UNIQUE PLAYERS: 47
TOTAL DOLLARS IN CSRBT POT: $235

TVs
1-5. Arcade Legacy

Wiis
1-3. Arcade Legacy, clowsui

OldAnthem27

Smash Journeyman
Awww.... bummer! I learned about this tournament far too late, but I would not be able to go anyway... Sigh, hopefully sometime later in the summer!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Ah, celebrating my beepa's beepday Sat and Sun.
And Sunday huh? Such a strange day.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Cameron wants to go to this, Kirikou.

Yes, this is Sunday. Come one come all!

The final event will not feature the league entry fee as reported in the OP. Instead, it will feature an individual $5 or $10 entry fee only, paid by everyone (even members of the league). This is to attract stronger competitors.

More revisions to come after the first event.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Will def try to come to the next one if there's more.

clowsui

Smash Legend
THAT DEDICATION!!! Ranbats. We in there.

Tech you can't have my girl...

but you can have me instead. I'll play catcher? :woman:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Well, either full car or 1 setup.

Car would likely be me, SoulPech, MX and Carls. If any other changes, I'll let you know.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I don't know but this would be easier for me to get than the columbus tourney... mmmmmmmmmmmmm..

I might just say hell with it and go to cinci on the 30th

clowsui

Smash Legend
o

i already learned it ;p

results will be posted in this thread tomorrow afternoon. a few announcements then too

clowsui

Smash Legend
CSRBT 1-1 RESULTS

1: MX - 10 pts
2: Luminoth - 9 pts
3: Carls - 8 pts
4: Sorasin - 7 pts
5: clowsui - 6 pts
6: SoulPech - 5 pts
7: Steel Samurai - 4 pts
8: DRLR - 3 pts
9: Wiggy - 2 pts
9: Juushichi - 2 pts
9: Weiz - 2 pts
9: Toastbread - 2 pts
13: Wolf - 1 pt
13: Wrath - 1 pt
13: Kevin - 1 pt
13: Commander Gregorious - 1 pt
17: Sina - 1 pt
17: Silver - 1 pt
17: Rem - 1 pt
17: Sean - 1 pt
17: Saber - 1 pt
17: Spencer E - 1 pt
17: Logan L - 1 pt

What a great turnout for CSRBT 1-1! Apologies to all attendees, as I forgot Rainbow and Brinstar were banned while Metaknight was legal and didn't inform everyone. Regardless, glad to see all the new faces and get positive feedback. KRung and Cameron, come earlier next time!

Now, a few things:

1. I need everyone to give me their vote for when CSRBT 1-2 is. I'm not sure about this Sunday because I'm picking up my dad from the airport BUT if people still want Sundays then the second Sunday of July shall be CSRBT 1-2 (though EVO is on the same day...LOL, I wanna stream monster that so bad). We could also have the first Saturday of July be CSRBT 1-2. Votes, everyone!

2. THE THEME FOR CSRBT 1-2 WILL BE: GRUDGE MATCHES! If you played someone in bracket at CSRBT 1-1, then you will play a 3/5 set with them this time around if you and your opponent choose to do so. This is applicable to all rounds of the bracket except losers semifinals and the finals matches that already have 3/5 sets. In those cases, a 4/7 set is played if both players agree.

In the special case that two players that met at CSRBT 1-1 meet at CSRBT 1-2 in winners and meet once again in losers, then the losers set shall be a 4/7 continuation set with one game advantage conferred to the player who won the winners set.

3. RANKING POINTS BATTLES SYSTEM!
If you feel that your placing did not accurately reflect your points earned, then here's where the ranking points battles system comes in.

A points battle is initiated between two players who mutually agree to wager 1-4 points against one another. The victor of the set receives the points wagered while the loser of the set loses the points wagered.

Nuances:
1. You can only earn a maximum of 4 pts total from ranking points battles at a given CSRBT.
2. You cannot wager points in such a way that makes you have a point total less than or equal to zero. That is, if you have 1 point from a previous CSRBT, you can wager that point, but if you lose then you can't wager any more points (since you'd only have the 1 pt from attending this CSRBT).
3. Wagers of three or more points may be 3/5 sets if both opponents agree.
4. The same opponent cannot be challenged to a ranking points battle twice in the same tournament by an individual. That is, if toastbread challenges clowsui for 1 pt and loses, he cannot challenge clowsui at the same tournament for any amount.
5. For an additional point, an individual can choose to lock the opponent to a certain character THAT HE OR SHE HAS PLAYED AT A CSRBT TOURNAMENT (you can't lock your opponent to someone they don't play, lol) OR he may dictate the first stage played of the set. This additional point wagered by the individual only affects the opponent in the case that the individual loses. That is, if toastbread challenges clowsui to a 1 pt ranking battle and uses 1 pt to lock clowsui to Metaknight game 1, if toastbread wins he only gets 1 pt but if he loses he gives clowsui 2 pts.
6. The only time where an individual can play ranking points battles at their first CSRBT attended is if they have at least 2 points (AKA 9th place or higher).

4. DRAFT CREWS!

Draft crews are like dodgeball. Two captains pick players and complete a draft crew. They send their players against one another to see whose squad is stronger. All the members of a winning squad receive 1 pts as a result of winning draft crews!

The only restrictions to draft crews are thus:
1. Legal stages are the seven starters +2: Battlefield, Smashville, FD, Stadium 1, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island, Castle Siege, Halberd, Delfino Plaza
2. If a person coming in decides to choose a stage, the opponent has the right to switch characters.

Looking forward to the next Ranbat!

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
Both the 1st Saturday & the 2nd Sunday are both fine by me, for now. I'll wait and see what others say.

Should the points list be labeled with which characters each attendee used?

half_silver28

Smash Ace
first time at a MK-legal event. . . and it showed D: at least I competed decently with ZS and go a rest KO in Melee casuals

wasn't feeling my best, and pretty much showed up unprepared - hope to change that in the next one and the one on the 30th :)

that said I doubt I'll be able to get off work if the next one is the first saturday in July, so the 2nd Sunday would be best for me

Rizner

Smash Ace
1. I need everyone to give me their vote for when CSRBT 1-2 is. I'm not sure about this Sunday because I'm picking up my dad from the airport BUT if people still want Sundays then the second Sunday of July shall be CSRBT 1-2 (though EVO is on the same day...LOL, I wanna stream monster that so bad). We could also have the first Saturday of July be CSRBT 1-2. Votes, everyone!
Hey. I'm a player from Tampa, FL. If it's between those two days I won't be able to attend, but starting the third week of July I'll be in Cincinnati for a bit so I'd like to attend some of these.

I'd probably have to rent a car to get there, though unless you guys know of good ways to get from Milford to this place in a bus or train or other whatnot...

SoulPech

Smash Master
I would love to post some shoutouts, but Clow still has not posted results in the results forumz X______________________________________________________X

Top Bottom