• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Match-Ups!

Tesh

Smash Hero
He isn't that great at juggling. He doesn't hit you that hard for doing stupid stuff, and his hitboxes are small, he also doesnt change directions quickly enough to threaten wario as much as....marth, but if you are going to give it to him for free all game...

I wouldn't recommend it really. Sonic is good other places, and Delfino is definitely one of those stage where you might feel helpless chasing him at times, but its not permanent. Staying on the platform in YI isn't horrible, but its not like a patient sonic ever had to go up there.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im going to give this discussion and thread once more chance.

I don't have any Sonic match-up's experience but it's definitely in Wario's favour. Let's say +2.

I just can't think of a reliable way for Sonic to kill. His B-air fresh kills at 150% or more with good DI. F-smash and Up-Air at the top of the screen are way too predictable and need a good read to hit. They can't air release us.
We survive forever and we can kill him much earlier.

Bite erases most of Sonic's approach options if used correctly. AC D-air is too good against him because he has some kind of a blindpost over him (up-air first hitboxes hit on sides, Usmash is slow on start-up and his grab is short) and it beats side-b and down-b most of the time.
Landing Fart isn't really hard, just wait the laggy move/airdodge or bait the counterattack Sonics always do when they recover with Up-B. PUNISH DAT DAIR AC THING HE TENDS TO DO WHEN HE´S HIGH, it just suxx.
Also don't try to punish Side-B or Down-B with OoS options. It's too fast and the hitbox is invincible. Bait it with Bite/D-air.

Ban DF, he's annoying there. This match-up doesn't need specific playstyle or requierments. Just focus on the match and don't let him disturb you with his speed and tricks. This is what he wants.
The red part is when you should have stopped talking. If I see another post like this, Im out of here.
the pink is when you put your foot in your mouth and make yourself look like a fool.
The green is where you contradict yourself, how can you know what sonics tendancies are, if you never play against them.
also those are things that can only be relied on of bad sonic players. good one will mix up their recovery options.

1. Sonics inability to kill doesnt factor into his matchups anymore, or else he would lose every matchup in the game. Whats important is: a. how much easier the opponent can kill than us, b. ease of damage racking on the opponent and c. how well the opponent can avoid our kill moves.
aside from fart happening randomly sonic has the mobility to avoid most of warios main kill moves, which means that we can live long as well. and our damage racking ability on wario is pretty good considering that if we have you in a juggling position, you cant beat our up air from above, and we can trap you if you airdodge. It is slightly hard to get the last hit, but theres plenty of set ups that work on wario, and we can kill you if we shield the right move.

2. if you bite stupidly, we can roll behind and grab you, jump over you and bair you or f smash/down tilt you.

3. sonics speed and tricks are a big part of the match so I dont even know what youre trying to say here.

Basically what the wario wants to do is avoid habits and not try to fight sonics attacks head up, unless hes in a ball, or youre using armor/invincibilty/up airs stupid hitbox.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
He said in his previous post that it was +1 Wario's favor.

I'm also gonna put down +1 Wario for the reasons KID said. Ban YI, CP is basically personal preference since Sonic can be annoying everywhere in this MU.

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
The red part is when you should have stopped talking. If I see another post like this, Im out of here.
the pink is when you put your foot in your mouth and make yourself look like a fool.
The green is where you contradict yourself, how can you know what sonics tendancies are, if you never play against them.
also those are things that can only be relied on of bad sonic players. good one will mix up their recovery options.

1. Sonics inability to kill doesnt factor into his matchups anymore, or else he would lose every matchup in the game. Whats important is: a. how much easier the opponent can kill than us, b. ease of damage racking on the opponent and c. how well the opponent can avoid our kill moves.
aside from fart happening randomly sonic has the mobility to avoid most of warios main kill moves, which means that we can live long as well. and our damage racking ability on wario is pretty good considering that if we have you in a juggling position, you cant beat our up air from above, and we can trap you if you airdodge. It is slightly hard to get the last hit, but theres plenty of set ups that work on wario, and we can kill you if we shield the right move.

2. if you bite stupidly, we can roll behind and grab you, jump over you and bair you or f smash/down tilt you.

3. sonics speed and tricks are a big part of the match so I dont even know what youre trying to say here.

Basically what the wario wants to do is avoid habits and not try to fight sonics attacks head up, unless hes in a ball, or youre using armor/invincibilty/up airs stupid hitbox.
You don't have to be aggressive. I know I was going to say stupid things but this is because of my knowledge in this match-up. Just try to be tolerant, this is a discussion not a fight.

I agree with most of what you said though. I still think Sonic has troubles killing Wario because Wario excels in dodging things while having great damages on most of his moves.

But okay, +1 for Wario then.

LOE1

Smash Lord
meh, i'll say +1

ive played some pretty good sonics, and the matches can be very campy. i think its a "who gets the 1st kill" situation with sonic. if we get it, we can do safe pokes and stuff. if they get it, we gonna have a hard time killing because the sonic will be extra careful.

Ban Yi of course, i dunno and hard cp's vs sonic.

its only a +1 because sonic has limited options against wario. just dont get too predictable and the sonic cant do much. wario may have a hard time catching up to sonic, but when he does, he has good kill moves to finish the job.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
^basically. Assuming Sonic bans Frigate and you won on SV earlier in the set then the stage Wario picks is personal preference.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
I haven't seen a single tourney outside of whobo have RC/Brin legal, that's why I didn't list them.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im running a mk banned tournament next month. It has brinstar and rainbow cruise legal

Hmmm, good to know. Frigate is one of my favorite stages though so ill have to weigh that in

:phone:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Brinstar is easily Sonic's worst stage and its one of Wario's best. If its legal, you can expect Sonic to ban it. Sonic likes RC though.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
malcolm vs any sonic. he makes it look +4

in reality, i think its more like +1 or +2 wario.

Bite and nair are pretty good against sonic.

Sonic has a hard time killing wario as well.

xzx

Smash Lord
Back then, this MU used to be one of Sonic's hardest MUs. If I recall correctly, this MU was 80:20 (+3) just because "Sonic is just speed". I wasn't active on SWF back then. Today, a lot has changed, and Sonic's meta game has sky rocketed.

I agree much with what da K.I.D. has statet. This MU is definetily in Wario's favour. Sonic is a solid damage racker, and Wario is a good killer (even if landing kill moves on Sonic can be kinda hard). I find the up-angled f-tilt good for killing at times. Again, waft is important to land. Both have non-threatening range, so trades can be made often. Wario's bite is a really good tool if used correctly. Don't be to greedy and predicatble with it though, since Sonic can dodge it and punish hard, even if bite beats most of Sonic's attacks (maybe all??). I don't know which moves can eliminate the tires (can side-b and down-b do that?), but they can limit Sonic's approaches... sorta. If Sonic gets the tires, he can play around with them, so one must be careful. I don't know what more to say about this MU. Sonic has the speed on the ground; Wario has the speed in the air. Wario kills and survives better. I think Sonic is the better damage racker here, but as long as Wario can hit Sonic he will do fine. This MU is hard if you don't have Sonic experience. +1 for Wario.
(Lol now I'm afraid if da K.I.D. are gonna rage on me! x))

da K.I.D.: +1
Anragon: +1
JMan8891: +1
Iota: +1
LOE1: +1
Dynomite: +1/+2
xzx: +1

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Lol nahhhh. You're good with that post.

Only correction ill make is that from the front Sonics down tilt and f smash angled down both beat bite.

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
Just tested now. F-smash tilted up and down beats bite when spaced right

EDIT: actually from what I can tell, f-smash just plain out beats out bite if you space at the edge of f-smash's hitbox. Only up tilted f-smash can hit outside of that optimal range though.

xzx

Smash Lord
What moves from Sonic can eliminate the tires? Can down-b and side-b do that?

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
I don't think his spin dash can beat out tires but I'm not really sure. Pretty sure most of Sonic's move set beat tires though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Uh.. any moves of ours can clank with tires. But we dont really want to do that, sonics items game is really good.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Ill admit that i dont know the item game of most characters. But what I do know is that items do a lot for characters with high mobility. And as the fastest character in the game, it stand to reason that it would benefit sonic more then other characters with less movement options.

We can also set up into jab locks with tires fairly easily. Spindash plus items is very strong.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lets see.

its hard to explain, but let me try to give an example.

lets say you are on battlefield. youre on the top platform. theres a ddd holding a banana, under the left platform. for whatever reason, you want to get down to the ground. youll fall through the platform and air dodge, while moving right. since ddd is slow with a bad glide toss, youll be safe doing this.

if that were sonic under the left side platform, he would be able to punish that.

now you say, 'well against sonic I just wouldnt airdodge then, I would just jump away or something' and this is true and youd probably be right. but the fact of the matter is that because of his speed and mobility, something that is normally safe, is now not safe and you are now being pressured for something youd be able to do for free against another character.

items do a lot for sonic game because they add a lot to his already amazing movement and they allow a character with mostly bad priority to be able to mount a consistent offensive pressure against characters that would otherwise just be able to push buttons.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Mind elaborating? I don't see how Sonic running really fast has anything to do with his item game. Anything you throw, anybody can catch.

+1, by the way.
His glide toss and dash cancelled toss (w/e its called when you jump cancel throw out of a dash) are pretty good. He is fast enough to reach you at pretty much the same time the item does even at long distances so you can get trapped. Vertically this is less useful but its another option for him when juggling wario (and he needs it).

Also any variation of spindash to footstool to dthrown tire jab lock could get you killed (or 30-40 damage easily). There is a whoooooooole lot of stuff Sonic can do with spindash and items actually.

Tires aren't useless vs Sonic, but its not like they will beat a move that has a hitbox out in the right direction and you have to make sure you are careful if Sonic manages to get one.

Just like bite, it can have its uses, but its something that can be throwing a pretty bad character something for free that he wouldn't be able to get otherwise.

xzx

Smash Lord
da K.I.D.: +1
Anragon: +1
JMan8891: +1
Iota: +1
LOE1: +1
Dynomite: +1/+2
xzx: +1
Croi: +1

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
2 more characters before sheik. Luigi is far down the road though. As long as we hurry with discussing donkey and Ike it shouldn't take too long to get to sheik.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Oh that's easy. DK +2, +2.5, +3 (65:35 ish MU)

Ike +1

Discussion over TIME FOR LUIGI

Top Bottom