• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Have you looked at Marth's match-ups?

The fact is that Marth's match-ups make him overall the best replacement in a metagame without MK. He lacks counters besides MK therefore will be eliminated in lower numbers then the rest of the cast.

He isn't top tier because the current metagame favors characters that destroy other characters outright and have counters dispatched by the top tier as opposed to a character that has no counters but doesn't destroy everyone quite as well.

Tier lists and tournament rankings are really only indicative of the current metagame, match-ups are not. With a radical change like MK's banning, especially since the metagame has basically centered on him since day one (yes, he propelled Snake to top tier by field-clearing for him), tournament rankings and the tier list will change DRASTICALLY across the board.

Marth becoming the top tier is only a TINY part of this, the switches will probably be drastic enough to make the tier list unrecognizable.
If Marth had only one bad matchup, the same bad matchup everyone has, MK, wouldn't Marth place higher in tournaments. Matchups are just random numbers determined by a few people, most of whom don't know what they're talking about. Tournament results are concrete evidence that cannot be refuted.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Well this sucks, if all TOs used Yuna's criteria for a ban, he'd never be banned X_X

In some way, shape or form, every character has a chance, some characters don't have a reasonable chance against him (LolCaptainFalcon) but others do, so I guess MK's never going to get banned, unless Nintendo patches the game (Which isn't going to happen).
Also,
This is not necessarily a good criteria for a ban.
Why isn't it? o.O Elaborate more please. Every character in Brawl has a fair amount of weaknesses that can be taken advantage of, even Snake, even Marth. Even Melee Fox, Melee Falco, Melee Shiek, and Melee Marth had weaknesses that can taken advantage of. Not saying MK doesn't have any weaknesses... just saying he has very few.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Sarcasm. Look it up.

"Reasonable chance of winning" =/= "50/50"
it was stupid sarcasm because it was true. :laugh:

way to shoot your own foot there. hopefully the wound becomes gangrenous to your argument

rehab

Smash Journeyman
ummm thank you? :confused:

you just proved my point... you have to be better than your foe (not just even) to beat MK with anyone except MK excluding luck.
He was being sarcastic. 45-55 is a very, very slightly disadvantaged match that is barely worth recognizing as anything other than even. The "exactly equal" skill thing only exists in theory fighter, anyway.

Aaaand outdated post +1 for me.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Marth doesn't have many outstanding match-up's either. He just doesn't have many that are against his favour

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If Marth had only one bad matchup, the same bad matchup everyone has, MK, wouldn't Marth place higher in tournaments. Matchups are just random numbers determined by a few people, most of whom don't know what they're talking about. Tournament results are concrete evidence that cannot be refuted.
No, because everyone else has more bad match-ups than Marth. Stop ignoring this part! Why aren't they suffering these bad match-ups? Because Meta Knight is still around.

Snake will drop dramatically if Meta Knight is banned because Snakes many bad match-ups are currently being cleared by Meta Knight. We've said this one jillion times now. It was said in the very post you just quoted.

Do not act like you did not just read this. Do not bring this invalid argument up again!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I was referring to the part of your post where you mentioned Meta Knight at lower levels of play.
I fixed my phrase up in that post, and tried to elaborate a little.

Sorry, my computer does this stupid thing that every now and then, when I hit enter, it submits rather than skips the line.

It sucks. It's also possible that I still failed to get what I was trying to point out, across.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I adressed this in the quoted post...

He isn't top tier because the current metagame favors characters that destroy other characters outright and have counters dispatched by the top tier as opposed to a character that has no counters but doesn't destroy everyone quite as well.
Please read what you quote.

My Internet boyfriend (will you at least be unfaithful to your girlfriend?!)
Lol... no.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
So Yuna, I've yet to hear you actually state your opinion on the matter at hand. Are you for a MK ban or not. Let's get back on subject so we can all have a reasonable debate.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
So Yuna, I've yet to hear you actually state your opinion on the matter at hand. Are you for a MK ban or not. Let's get back on subject so we can all have a reasonable debate.
No he isn't against it...just at the moment. It's just too early

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
He said "no"... this entire Marth tangent was his reductio ad absurdum explaining why an MK ban is a bad idea...

Yes, it's reductio ad absurdum, same logic = reductio ad absurdum, progressively harsher/ looser logic=slippery slope.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Ok, so I have a quick question. Or a few quick questions. Yuna, you seem the most qualified to answer them, so I'll direct at you, but anyone can if they want.

First of all, the concept of an 'objective ban criteria'. Why is this the case? Why does our ban criteria have to be versatile enough to apply to any hypothetical ban situation? The reason I ask is because, unlike stage lists or general purpose rules, bans are inherently out of the ordinary. Bans are never considered unless something is so decidedly out there that it defies objectivity anyway! The reason that people are considering banning Meta is expressly because we can't make an objective set of rules that keep his situation in check... so isn't trying to make another objective set of rules pointless?

Secondly, I'd like to ask about the concept of why bans are considered at all. Someone (I think Yuna, most likely) brought up the point of the purpose of a ban, and I'd like to ask for clarification. Let's (for a hypothetical) go back in time to the original ban, Akuma. He was banned because NO ONE else in the game could ever hope to win without playing him, and so the rest of the cast got effectively cut out of the game. We think of that as the situation that warrants a ban... but what would have happened if the community didn't mind only playing Akuma? What would have happened if the community sat down and said, 'You know, Akuma dittos are ok in our book. Screw the rest of the cast.'? He (I'm assuming) wouldn't have been banned and the problem would have been solved, right? So (to get to my point), isn't community momentum really the ONLY reason to ban? Isn't that REALLY the only thing that matters?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol... no.
You... you... Republican!

Why must I state this time and time again?

Do I think that Meta Knight couldn't ever be banned?
No

Do I think that Meta Knight should be banned right now?
No

Do I think that Meta Knight should be banned according to what we know at this very moment (if things stay the exact same and more time is allowed to pass)?
No

But Meta Knight is close to being "too good". If we discover more things that make him slightly better, then I will support it. At this moment, it's too early to tell, so we should at least wait. But IMO, Meta Knight is not yet so broken he has to be banned (by what we know insofar, guesses and projections of future metagame do not count).

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
First of all, the concept of an 'objective ban criteria'. Why is this the case? Why does our ban criteria have to be versatile enough to apply to any hypothetical ban situation? The reason I ask is because, unlike stage lists or general purpose rules, bans are inherently out of the ordinary. Bans are never considered unless something is so decidedly out there that it defies objectivity anyway! The reason that people are considering banning Meta is expressly because we can't make an objective set of rules that keep his situation in check... so isn't trying to make another objective set of rules pointless?
Why objective? So that it's not subjective. So that it's not just due to the fact that we dislike Meta Knight or that we dislike playing against him or whatever.

And if he's so special, so out of the ordinary, so much better than everyone else that he has to be banned (in other words, no other character stands a reasonable chance of winning against him), then it should be pretty easy to write up something which can only apply to Meta Knight but still be general enough.

It's also important to have a clear definition in case we need to ban any more characters. The meta game will not stay the same. It will change drastically with the mere ban of Meta Knight. Then, it will keep changing and growing. One day, we might be facing a similar situation.

We need a clear formula, or else we're making an arbitrary ban decision and have no precedence for future bans. We cannot just make up a law on the spot that's specifically aimed at Meta Knight and then in the future make up a new law to target the next one (if such action should be needed).

Secondly, I'd like to ask about the concept of why bans are considered at all. Someone (I think Yuna, most likely) brought up the point of the purpose of a ban, and I'd like to ask for clarification. Let's (for a hypothetical) go back in time to the original ban, Akuma. He was banned because NO ONE else in the game could ever hope to win without playing him, and so the rest of the cast got effectively cut out of the game. We think of that as the situation that warrants a ban... but what would have happened if the community didn't mind only playing Akuma? What would have happened if the community sat down and said, 'You know, Akuma dittos are ok in our book. Screw the rest of the cast.'? He (I'm assuming) wouldn't have been banned and the problem would have been solved, right? So (to get to my point), isn't community momentum really the ONLY reason to ban? Isn't that REALLY the only thing that matters?
So if 10.000 people who love items joined SWF tomorrow and demanded items be turned on or else they'd leave and never come back, we should listen to them? If 5.000 people whine about the use of the C-stick, should we ban it? If 7.500 people just love any number of the banned stages, turn them back on?

After all, community momentum is the only reason for bans, right (banned items, banned stages, banned C-stick).

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Okay. I agree with you for the most part. The way things are right now aren't that bad. The only thing is that they've been getting worse and I don't see the current situation going anywere but downhill. That's why I support a ban.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
But Meta Knight is close to being "too good". If we discover more things that make him slightly better, then I will support it. At this moment, it's too early to tell, so we should at least wait.
Sentance 1: How is he close to being too good if he has neutral matchups?

Sentance 2: The only thing that'd make him better... is an AT, otherwise it's just new tactics and strategies that'd make him better... but they wouldn't eliminate the neutral matchups. If an AT were discovered that made Metaknight over the top, banworthy, wouldn't the community just ban the AT?

Sentance 3: Agreed, it is too early to even come close to a decision on this, but wait until when? March '09?

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
But Meta Knight is close to being "too good". If we discover more things that make him slightly better, then I will support it.
Nothing has ever been "discovered" about MK that has made him a better character. There are no ATs or tricks (LOL infin dimentional cape) to the character. People just pick him and do decently, then slowly MK users discover that fthrow is better than dthrow in many situations, that dair is better than nair is others. They realize that if they pay more attention to good spacing and always make use of high priority and/or disjointed attacks theres little hope of them being punished. They learn to watch air dodges and punish them better than any other character can. They use their tilts to keep dsmash fresh and learn to go for stage spikes and gimp them with dair and upb. All these and more are just learning the subtle ways of how to get this character to be unmatched in terms of pressure/punish/chasing/putting self in advantageous positions. No other character can do this better than MK.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Shhh... I'm trying to appease the whiners. Actually, "close" is exaggerating it. "Moving towards" rather. There are still characters with a reasonable chance of beating him.

Sentance 2: The only thing that'd make him better... is an AT, otherwise it's just new tactics and strategies that'd make him better... but they wouldn't eliminate the neutral matchups. If an AT were discovered that made Metaknight over the top, banworthy, wouldn't the community just ban the AT?
No, we do not ban ATs unless they stall the game. It's a part of a character, be it by design or a programming error. You can't just arbitrarily ban a specific AT for being "too good" just because it makes that one character "too good". And what if it's a global AT or at least one shared by others? Only MK cannot use it.

And an AT is not the only thing that could make him better. Pray tell, what magical MK ATs were discovered recently that catapulted MK into 1st place instead of 2nd? We just discovered more and more about the metagame.

The metagame changes and evolved. Not as fast as before, but still. If the metagame changes and/or evolves in such a way that Meta Knight becomes better than he is now and crosses the threshold into "too good", then I will support a ban.

But ATs are not the only thing that can change the game. Simple discoveries in game physics, new strategies, alternate use old existing ones, etc., etc., etc.

Does this translate into "No character stand a reasonable chance of beating MK"? Is that your opinion?

Okay. I agree with you for the most part. The way things are right now aren't that bad. The only thing is that they've been getting worse and I don't see the current situation going anywere but downhill. That's why I support a ban.
Could you acknowledge the jillion mistakes you made that required us to repeat the same things over and over again?! At least when I make a mistake, I acknowledge I made it.

Meanwhile, people will attack me with all they've got trying to find mistakes that are tiny and minuscule but I'm a bad guy if I criticize them for it. However, some people will pretend like they never made any mistake at all after making them, sometimes even repeatedly.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

Sentance 3: Agreed, it is too early to even come close to a decision on this, but wait until when? March '09?
S1: I think you got a different definition of "too good".

S2: I'm actually interested in Yuna's response to this one.

S3: Unfortunately, I feel the community is going to wait for either a significantly short amount of time, or they will wait forever, but nothing inbetween.

This topic has gone on for long stretches of time; what can EVERYONE in this thread walk out with that everyone agrees upon that will also benefit one side (or the other) in this argument?

Nothing's getting done = Nothing will get done, especially if Brawl's meta game moves along as it's been moving for the last month or two.

Not even Meta Knight's at his full potential, and it doesn't look like there's a cieling point anytime soon.

EDIT: This thread moves too ****ing fast.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Yes, and I've been telling everyone to get to that for a long time now.

Come up wtih a good justification for banning Meta Knight. Then (or simoultaneously), come up with a good wording which cannot apply to anyone else but is not designed specifically to apply to Meta Knight (no BS like "has wings"). Finally, the criteria must make it clear that Meta Knight is being banned for being "too good". In other words, they cannot apply even when the character is not "too good".
This is just, and has been this entire time, muddying the waters.

If it's not relevent to the thread, quit bringing it back up -- let it die, nothing forces you to respond to an off topic post except your own ego. If it is relevent to the thread, explain how (That's going to be difficult as you just said earlier in this post I'm quoting that the Marth thing isn't directly related to banning MK). You introduced it in the first place, it's been stated to be off topic, you have stated it's off topic, so why do you keep arguing about it? (And this quote is even about it, as it's saying to come up with ban criteria that won't catch Marth unless he deserves it.)

First step: Decide if he needs banning.

If "Yes" then Second step: decide how to describe why he is banned.
else if "No" then Second step: Table the discussion unless and until something changes to bring the first step up again.

Any talk about the second step does not belong in a thread about the first step and is just leading to confusing arguments as people try to mix the two discussions.

Edit: And you say you admit your mistakes, but yet when I point out that you've misresponded to a number of my posts you accuse me of being misleading, using poor word choices, and generally it all being my fault. If that's admitting it, I'd really hate to see you trying to shift the blame.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
A ban will always be subjective Yuna. Bans revolve entirely around the desires of the community which wishes to instigate said ban. The only criteria for ANY ban is the refusal to tolerate a condition of some sort, this refusal being from the side with the greater hand in the outcome than the other.

A ban does not need to come from the backroom of this site for it to come into effect. TO's can decide for themselve that they don't want any more MKs, and since they run the tournaments, they have the greatest say in whether MK is banned or not.

Bans are created because people with the power to refuse to accept some condition choose to use that power. Thus, bans are always dependent on the person who has the power and desire to create one. If the community as a whole refuses to partake in a MK filled competitive scene, or if the TO's refuse to hold tournaments with MK in them, for all intensive purposes, MK will be banned solely for emotional reasons.

Let us hope MK somehow becomes less of a threat, so that this may never happen.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well this sucks, if all TOs used Yuna's criteria for a ban, he'd never be banned X_X

In some way, shape or form, every character has a chance, some characters don't have a reasonable chance against him (LolCaptainFalcon) but others do, so I guess MK's never going to get banned, unless Nintendo patches the game (Which isn't going to happen).
Also,
Reasonable chance, not a chance. The word "reasonable" is subject but I'd say that 45:55s and 5-4s are reasonable. Debate me if you wish.

Why isn't it? o.O Elaborate more please. Every character in Brawl has a fair amount of weaknesses that can be taken advantage of, even Snake, even Marth. Even Melee Fox, Melee Falco, Melee Shiek, and Melee Marth had weaknesses that can taken advantage of. Not saying MK doesn't have any weaknesses... just saying he has very few.
"He cannot be gimped, he has no weaknesses" - OK, but what if he's just not that good otherwise? What if he has few strengths? What if others can do what he does better in some aspects? What if...

"He cannot be gimped, no weaknesses" alone is not a good ban criteria. For one thing, if it (and all of his other strengths) make him so good, how come he's got 5-4s and a 45:55 still?

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Ok, so I have a quick question. Or a few quick questions. Yuna, you seem the most qualified to answer them, so I'll direct at you, but anyone can if they want.

paragraph 1: theyre arguement is as follows:
MK has no bad matchups
The metagame will not evolve until MK is banned
MK is "too" good.

our side of the arguement:
1. so does marth. and so what? he has some neutral matchups
2. pshhhhhh yea ok. the game hasnt even been out for a year yet. just a while ago, a yoshi AT was discovered that gave yoshi a neutral matchup with MK. and Yoshi's recovery sucks badly, and MK is the king of gimping, so this AT must be really good. just while ago to, a new MELEE AT was discovered. Melee was out for...uh...at least 8 years, probably more. the games metagame isnt fully developed, and not even close to being fully developed until a few more years, at least 2 or 3.
3. we all have our own opinions.

paragraph 2: because of the freakin tremendous amount of whining about how MK is "too cheap" has brought this topic up. on contratry with the Akuma situation, MK is beatable. people are too lazy to try and beat just one character and are feverishly trying to ban him instead. and if everybody switched to MK, what about the rest of the freakin game ._. it just wont work. the problem is, some of the community DOES mind about MK and are tryign to ban him :\ so here we are, in this discussion

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Let us hope MK somehow becomes less of a threat, so that this may never happen.
A hypothetical question (for you too, Yuna):

What if Meta Knight never gets "too good"? What if he always just looms between "very good" and "almost too good", and is moderately able to win a higher percentage of the amount of tournaments he participates in? I'm aware that the meta game will change, but what if Meta Knight changes JUST enough to stay below that "ban now" line, but high enough to continue to beat out most other characters?

I'm not asking this to look for weakness, or provoke anyone, or anything of that nonsensical nature.

I'm just curious.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
A ban will always be subjective Yuna. Bans revolve entirely around the desires of the community which wishes to instigate said ban. The only criteria for ANY ban is the refusal to tolerate a condition of some sort, this refusal being from the side with the greater hand in the outcome than the other.
Again, so if the community wanted to ban the C-stick tomorrow, it would be warranted and not at all Scrubby? And we should just play along with it since the community knows best, after all?

Criterias for ban must be subjectively formatted so they can set a precedence so our bans aren't arbitrary and based only on "We don't like it so we'll come up with a reason which fits it!"

A ban does not need to come from the backroom of this site for it to come into effect. TO's can decide for themselve that they don't want any more MKs, and since they run the tournaments, they have the greatest say in whether MK is banned or not.
Yes, TOs can. But the SBR must not support it just because they do. Also, what part of "The SBR rulelist is only a guideline." was too Italian por tua (<-- not sure about the spelling)?

Of course people can ban him if they choose to. The SBR does not dictate the rules. But just because people might choose to do it on their own doesn't mean the SBR must automatically conform.

Bans are created because people with the power to refuse to accept some condition choose to use that power.
Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that some bans are justified, others not. I'm here to argue whether the ban is justified, not whether enough people have whined about it.

Thus, bans are always dependent on the person who has the power and desire to create one. If the community as a whole refuses to partake in a MK filled competitive scene, or if the TO's refuse to hold tournaments with MK in them, for all intensive purposes, MK will be banned solely for emotional reasons.
And it would be, in my opinion, wrong.

If it's not relevent to the thread, quit bringing it back up -- let it die, nothing forces you to respond to an off topic post except your own ego. If it is relevent to the thread, explain how (That's going to be difficult as you just said earlier in this post I'm quoting that the Marth thing isn't directly related to banning MK). You introduced it in the first place, it's been stated to be off topic, you have stated it's off topic, so why do you keep arguing about it? (And this quote is even about it, as it's saying to come up with ban criteria that won't catch Marth unless he deserves it.)
If we cannot come up with a good way of banning Meta Knight without adverse consequences, then he shouldn't be banned.

Any talk about the second step does not belong in a thread about the first step and is just leading to confusing arguments as people try to mix the two discussions.
Petition the mods to have the thread split in two if you wish and see what they say. I will listen to the mods. I doubt SamuraiPanda is going to kick my *** for daring to go further than just "Yes or no" as this is a multi-faceted matter.

Edit: And you say you admit your mistakes, but yet when I point out that you've misresponded to a number of my posts you accuse me of being misleading, using poor word choices, and generally it all being my fault. If that's admitting it, I'd really hate to see you trying to shift the blame.
I accused you of being misleading when I misread your posts? And I have only accused you of poor word choices when you have made poor word choices. And at least I admit to having made a mistake instead of ignoring it completely as if it had never happened after derailing the thread for pages upon pages.

What if Meta Knight never gets "too good"? What if he always just looms between "very good" and "almost too good", and is moderately able to win a higher percentage of the amount of tournaments he participates in? I'm aware that the meta game will change, but what if Meta Knight changes JUST enough to stay below that "ban now" line, but high enough to continue to beat out most other characters?

I'm not asking this to look for weakness, or provoke anyone, or anything of that nonsensical nature.

I'm just curious.
Then, IMO, he should not be banned.

Banning him just because people don't like him (yes, if he's not "too good", then that would be the reason) would be wrong, IMO.

liverymen

Smash Apprentice

I'm just curious.
Then we'll all have fun playing MK dittos or have a much greater possibility losing with other characters because they're all uphill battles vs MK.

brinboy789

Smash Champion

I'm just curious.
well im not yuna but this is my opinion

hes never "too good". in my opinion, "too" good is unbeatable. MK is very beatable. and as all of the MK-banners are saying, more people are moving to MK (mostlytierwhores), and MK's metagame is moving tremendously. so, when theres this much people maining MK, and the last AT to be discovered was the IDC, i dont think his metagame will advance much in the next few months, so he wont go up on the "goodness" level.

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
3. we all have our own opinions.

paragraph 2: because of the freakin tremendous amount of whining about how MK is "too cheap" has brought this topic up. on contratry with the Akuma situation, MK is beatable. people are too lazy to try and beat just one character and are feverishly trying to ban him instead. and if everybody switched to MK, what about the rest of the freakin game ._. it just wont work. the problem is, some of the community DOES mind about MK and are tryign to ban him :\ so here we are, in this discussion
Considering you have an MK avatar and banner, I find this part laudable.

Basically what your saying is that we can beat you, but we have to work hard to go even with you--something we can only do using specific characters we might not want to use otherwise, while you continue beating us with ease until we get better, then you only beat us with ease most of the time. Oh silly us, we only want a ban because we're lazy.:laugh:

salaboB

Smash Champion
Since the mods just want this to be one thread addressing both parts of the issue, here goes my wall of text: My list of criteria for banning MK, and how it wouldn't catch Marth (This is not to say MK will be banned, but it is to answer the question of what criteria):

1) If the character has an extremely limited number of Neutral matchups, and no disadvantages. Ideally, no 50/50 matchups at all with the best Neutral being 55/45 or even no Neutrals. My proposal for this is that they must have more than 2 neutral matchups, because we know from Melee that at least 4 characters being viable can result in a solid longevity for the tournament scene.

2) If the character has an extremely limited number of effective counterpick stages, they maintain their at-worst Neutral status versus everyone on almost every stage. Again, let's say at least two characters must be able to break the Neutral status with counterpicked stages (This may need modifying to be "two high/top tier characters" or more than two characters but at least two tournament-viable counterpick stages giving a disadvantage. Either way would work by me and I think would preserve the intent of it).

3) Danger sign: If the majority of the most skilled players start counterpicking as that character to cause a ditto when facing him instead of staying with the one that they have mastered or a different counterpick. (This one I don't believe is critical, but I think if it's present it should be used to accelerate the ban timeline or begin basic ban testing at certain tournaments as TOs are willing to try it out and see how they go)

4) Danger sign: If people can report tournament attendence dropping and the stated reason being this character, I believe that like 3) it is a sign that banning him should be considered and/or tested at certain tournaments.

So, those are my 4 criteria -- 2 actual matchup based situations (I don't believe Marth fits both those, someone let me know if I'm wrong -- particularily I don't think #2 is a problem for him but I think he also has a lot more neutrals and so will pass #1 as well. I think MK meets both of those, but again could be wrong -- again particularily on #2) and 2 warning signs to start looking at what's going wrong with the game. These are all based on the idea of catching MK in a ban, and then only catching someone else if they end up being in a position of too-dominating (Or at least providing a guideline for when to judge that is). Again, this is not saying MK will be banned, it's just to discuss the second half of the question: How would you ban only MK. As a final note, this could also provide the qualifications for unbanning him -- if new ATs break either of the actual matchup criteria then encouraging people to allow him back into tournaments would be justified.

Any particular problems with those, aside from number of matchups available for #1 and #2 needing adjustment to be more or less stringent?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
That would be because Mk's haven't learned the match up yet. Like when it used to be Snake > MK.
Well, then, wait until that happens before crying "Ban now!"? If you're not one of them, then good work, little soldier.

salaboB:I told you to petition the mods, not to make a new thread. But at least it answered one thing: I was absolutely right in that this talk belongs in this thread.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
Considering you have an MK avatar and banner, I find this part laudable.

Basically what your saying is that we can beat you, but we have to work hard to go even with you--something we can only do using specific characters we might not want to use otherwise, while you continue beating us with ease until we get better, then you only beat us with ease most of the time. Oh silly us, we only want a ban because we're lazy.:laugh:
well, do you find low tier characters in tourneys? in the last one i went to, the lowest tier was zelda. it doesnt take a tremendous amount of skill to beat a MK; its just one character. he has WEAKNESSES :O you have to learn to take advantage of them.

and yes i have an MK avater cause hes my main :bee: genius right. and i picked him even before the game came out, cause hes awesome like that. i didnt know that he would be the best, or that people would whine 28/7 about his "cheapness"

salaboB

Smash Champion
Well, then, wait until that happens before crying "Ban now!"? If you're not one of them, then good work, little soldier.

salaboB:I told you to petition the mods, not to make a new thread. But at least it answered one thing: I was absolutely right in that this talk belongs in this thread.
What, you think I'm psychic and sit here refreshing this thread constantly just looking for any response of yours? I was already making that post when you put that up (Gee, where have we seen THIS line of reasoning? Oh right, double standards).

And if you wait long enough, there is a good possibility that the damage will be too massive and the game's competitive scene will die. The phrase "too little too late" comes to mind.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
1) If the character has an extremely limited number of Neutral matchups, and no disadvantages. Ideally, no 50/50 matchups at all with the best Neutral being 55/45 or even no Neutrals. My proposal for this is that they must have more than 2 neutral matchups, because we know from Melee that at least 4 characters being viable can result in a solid longevity for the tournament scene.
This does not qualify for the "no reasonable chance of getting beaten". Even matchups = reasonable chance

2) If the character has an extremely limited number of effective counterpick stages, they maintain their at-worst Neutral status versus everyone on almost every stage. Again, let's say at least two characters must be able to break the Neutral status with counterpicked stages (This may need modifying to be "two high/top tier characters" or more than two characters but at least two tournament-viable counterpick stages giving a disadvantage. Either way would work by me and I think would preserve the intent of it).
This does in no way pertain to "too good". It just means you have a limited number of stages where you perform worse on than "normal".

3) Danger sign: If the majority of the most skilled players start counterpicking as that character to cause a ditto when facing him instead of staying with the one that they have mastered or a different counterpick. (This one I don't believe is critical, but I think if it's present it should be used to accelerate the ban timeline or begin basic ban testing at certain tournaments as TOs are willing to try it out and see how they go)
"Easiest road to victory" =/= "Too good

4) Danger sign: If people can report tournament attendence dropping and the stated reason being this character, I believe that like 3) it is a sign that banning him should be considered and/or tested at certain tournaments.
Scubby whining and scrubby behavior = We will listen to your concerns?

Any particular problems with those, aside from number of matchups available for #1 and #2 needing adjustment to be more or less stringent?
Yes, none of them actually pertain to "too good"/"no reasonable chance of winning over X-character". Some are connected to it, but you can qualify for all of those without coming even close to being "too good". You don't even have to be the best character to qualify for them.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
No, we do not ban ATs unless they stall the game. It's a part of a character, be it by design or a programming error. You can't just arbitrarily ban a specific AT for being "too good" just because it makes that one character "too good". And what if it's a global AT or at least one shared by others? Only MK cannot use it.
I was actually going under the assumption that this AT would be character specifici, because, if a global AT adds depth to Brawl but makes one character overpowered, I think the depth of Brawl would take priority over that one single character, but wouldn't take priority over MULTIPLE characters.

And an AT is not the only thing that could make him better. Pray tell, what magical MK ATs were discovered recently that catapulted MK into 1st place instead of 2nd? We just discovered more and more about the metagame.
I openly admitted that new tactics and strategies made him better, "otherwise it's just new tactics and strategies that would make him better... but they wouldn't eliminate the neutral matchups. " But I don't think it would push him over the top (Judging from the past metagame progression, but who knows, I could be proven completely wrong in the future). Oh and Perhaps I was mistaken mentioning the "change the neutral matchups part" I'm sure those could change to 60:40s in no time.
The metagame changes and evolved. Not as fast as before, but still. If the metagame changes and/or evolves in such a way that Meta Knight becomes better than he is now and crosses the threshold into "too good", then I will support a ban.
Pretty much agreed here, though, I'm wondering, you might have explained it before, if you have I apologize, but what is the threshold? Where does he become "too good"? In my opinion 60:40 is a reasonable chance, and even to a degree 70:30, Wolf vs MK is 70:30, yet we're told that Wolf still has a reasonable chance against MK. But even by going 60:40, does MK have to 60:40 and beyond the entire cast to go beyond the threshold? Does he have to 70:30 all the cast? 80:20?

But ATs are not the only thing that can change the game. Simple discoveries in game physics, new strategies, alternate use old existing ones, etc., etc., etc.
I said this, so, I agree with it ^_^

S1: I think you got a different definition of "too good".
Definitely a possibility, what's your definition of too good?

In some way, shape or form, every character has a chance, some characters don't have a reasonable chance against him (LolCaptainFalcon) but others do( have a reasonable chance ), so I guess MK's never going to get banned, unless Nintendo patches the game (Which isn't going to happen).
Important parts are bolded, I never said that no one has an unreasonable chance.

"He cannot be gimped, he has no weaknesses" - OK, but what if he's just not that good otherwise? What if he has few strengths? What if others can do what he does better in some aspects? What if...

"He cannot be gimped, no weaknesses" alone is not a good ban criteria. For one thing, if it (and all of his other strengths) make him so good, how come he's got 5-4s and a 45:55 still?
Point taken here, thanks for explaining.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What, you think I'm psychic and sit here refreshing this thread constantly just looking for any response of yours? I was already making that post when you put that up (Gee, where have we seen THIS line of reasoning? Oh right, double standards).

And if you wait long enough, there is a good possibility that the damage will be too massive and the game's competitive scene will die. The phrase "too little too late" comes to mind.
The difference between you and me (or whoever it was that made that inane argument, but you apparently support it) is that I would never criticize someone for not being psychic.

If you'd just said "I was writing it while you were posting that", I would've either let it drop ('cause there's nothing else to say) or maybe even said "OK then. Sorry." (<-- rare).

You (or whoever it was who made that inane argument) on the other hand would actually get upset that the opposition wasn't psychic.

Strawmanning = Bad.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Yes, none of them actually pertain to "too good"/"no reasonable chance of winning over X-character". Some are connected to it, but you can qualify for all of those without coming even close to being "too good". You don't even have to be the best character to qualify for them.
Oh, hello. Were we asking for a list of qualifications that would catch MK but nobody else, or were we just trying to make an excuse to try to pick apart a post of mine again?

#1 and #2 are both in there because they are severely limited, not nonexistant. This does exactly what you asked for: Lays out criteria to ban Meta Knight that wouldn't ban Marth. None of it was intending to demonstrate "too good".

Please go re-read my explanation of what its purpose was for before you try to take apart my points again. Oh, and let me know if you think any character other than MK, with the removal of MK, will meet them. That would actually invalidate their purpose, as opposed to what your entire response didn't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom