• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I saved the first one, and the one where I tried a Kirbycide and you epic failed and I got a lucky win XD

We should play again sometime though, I don't feel like that was the best example of my play :p I did certain stuff too much, and it was weird. Hard to explain past that, lol

Boxob

Smash Champion
On an added note, I space my smashes and aerials very well, Fsmash has tons of range, you don't want to be all laggy a character length in front of Sonic, you will get Fsmashed.

:093:

Boxob

Smash Champion
I saved the first one, and the one where I tried a Kirbycide and you epic failed and I got a lucky win XD

We should play again sometime though, I don't feel like that was the best example of my play :p I did certain stuff too much, and it was weird. Hard to explain past that, lol
Bahh that second match you saved was crap, I wasn't thinking at all when I Boxlaunched myself off the stage, knowing I was going to get hit in the back of my mind. ._.

Upload them though, the first match was sexy, I think.

Browny

Smash Hater
no wifi johns

hardly any ftilt from boxob at all :/ although u-air spam seems to work well enough lol

Napilopez

Smash Lord
1:25 of the first video is the best thing ever.

Also, no Wi-Fi johns XD. You say Sonic is hard to face online, I say Sonic is one of the hardest chars to use online. So its better if we don't even bring that up =P.

EDIT:

LOL just watched the second video, and lolled at Boxob almost pulling out a djbrowny at about 2:03 in the second vid =P

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Is djbrowny the stagespike with bair?

How is that credited to one person? It's an extreme "duh" move.

Sonic may be hard to use online, but once you get used to him, it's not so bad. I thought the same with Captain Falcon at first.

Now hitting Sonic online with Kirby, that's hell. Try it.

djbrowny said:
no wifi johns
Napilopez said:
no Wi-Fi johns XD
Tags in my Youtube video said:
Boxob if you're on, let's do some more matches >_>
I'll try to play less like an idiot, and be more unpredictable

Boxob

Smash Champion
I'm up for as many matches as possible, but when i'm home, I'm supposed to be getting drunk tonight so i might not even be playable until tomorrow.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Can I play you? I mean I'm not Boxob (is anyone really, besides Boxob?), but I'll do my best.

Here's my friend code. 0301-9641-8431

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Fine by me, I'm not doing anything tommorrow (couldn't find a ride to WATO's smashfest)

edit:Nevermind I did find a ride so I'm booked Saturday. I'm free sunday though.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
That was me. I said that because I find it easier to spinshot with down B in the air over side B (and theoretically it's faster because side B has longer startup). On the ground I use side B though.

edit:whoops double post.
koolies :036:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
watch your video at 2:03

then this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWG8Usl-hLE

not credited it to me, but the situation was almost exactly the same.
It's funny, I actually randomly saw that for the first time a few days ago. Pretty good...if I saw it in May, when you made it, I probably would have been a little bit more impressed. And you're right, it was almost exactly the same, lol.

Edit: I made it a video response and updated the description, if you don't mind :p
And after rewatching it, it was closer to killing me than I gave it credit for. If I had used the sonic copy power instead of rock, and he had landed it, that would have creeped me out a bit..

But then I won the match because the audience cheered for me!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
KO data Kirby vs Sonic
All attacks were performed on Final Destination in Training Mode.
Position of Sonic was the center of FD, unless otherwise noted.

Attack: U-smash
KOs: 101% (no DI)
: 124% (w/DI)

Attack: F-smash
KOs: 95% (no DI)
: 120% (w/DI)

Attack: F-smash
Position: Edge
KOs: 64% (no DI)
: 93% (w/DI)
: 127%* (opposite side of stage)

Attack: Hammer
Position: Opposite side of the stage.
KOs: 84% (no DI)
: 69% (DI up)
: 69% (DI against)
: 75% (DI down)
: 68% (DI with)

Notes:
* Kirby's F-smash KO's horizontally, but if Sonic DI's up it will KO vertically at the same percent as no DI (120%), or horizontally if the DI is down/with. If the DI is a combination against/up to maneuver Sonic to the exact upper/left corner, he can survive to about 127% instead of dying off the top or side.

Kirby's Hammer (ground) KOs similar to his F-smash in that if you DI up, you die off the top instead of the side. Interestingly the best DI was no DI at all, breaking hitstun with an aerial and then jumping back to the stage. Remember this is when hit the long side of FD - if you're getting hit at the edge or center, DI won't make much of a difference since this attack is so powerful.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
t!MmY could you edit your post on page 38 to include an image of Kirby (from the dojo) so that it would make a clear seperation between Marth and Kirby? Thanks.

Tenki

Smash Hero
@timmy: thanks for the kill%'s
Also, when are we finishing this topic?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
So ironic, like a chronic Sonic that had a bit too much tonic.
and avoided the bubonic...plague.
Not even a deadly, middle-age, species extinguishing disease can catch up to Sonic.
...:laugh:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

John date: 2005​
KinqyFish69

Timmy, wifi?

Get back on topic.
:bowser:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
wtf is wrong with that post

Anyway, what's the final verdict? O_o

Tenki

Smash Hero
Very good.

Let's do the next character.

Kirby Wifi Challenge was sort of turning stale after like 2 pages of it. lol.

PS. someone do a writeup and PM it to greenstreet.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I stole this page. haha
FOX - Character Matchup 7

Fox, much?

Introduction
Fox McCloud (フォックス・マクラウド, Fokkusu Makuraudo) is the main character in the Star Fox video games and leader of the Star Fox team. The son of James McCloud, Fox is an expert pilot and has saved the galaxy from numerous threats. He has appeared in all three Smash Bros. games. His voice actor in both games is Shinobu Satouchi during the fights, and Steve Malpass during the cutscenes in Adventure Mode. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, he is voiced by Jim Walker and Kenji Nojima.

Behaviour:
- Laser spam will be used to refresh moves or bait approaches
- As such, Fox is generally a punisher character - his counterattacks are dangerous and his approaches are punishable, but his blaster allows him to stay on the 'waiting' side and avoid that situation for the most part.
- Aerials are generally near-lagless, so don't expect to be grabbing much out of landing lag.

Commonly Used Moves:
- D-air>attack of choice (U-smash, D-smash, etc) - main punisher/damagedealer
- N-air to break free of attack chains, U-tilt for juggle damage
- U-smash, U-air most common for kills
- Spotdodge>D-smash
- Illusion (varying lengths) for recovery when above stage.
- Shine stalling (spamming down-B) to vary recovery placement/timing.

How to Win:
- If the setup ever comes to you (edge), grab+pummelrelease Fox so he ends up below the stage, then go for a stage spike. Even better if you can get him out of his double jump.
- If Fox approaches you with an aerial, keep in mind that it's possible to shieldgrab his aerials- good Foxes will retreat them if they don't get past your shield.
- Run through or spinshot over blasters, but if you know Fox is baiting you, then expect a welcoming attack when you get to him.

Recommended Stages:
- NOT HALBERD/CORNERIA/GREEN GREENS. Low ceilings give him the advantage.
- Lylat (moving platform)
- Brinstar (Easier side kills, bridge gimp, just watch out for U-smashes by the top platform)

Matchup Summary:
It's about neutral in gameplay, since both characters are played as punishment characters - Fox punishes hard when he gets chances, but Sonic punishes fluidly. So it's kinda balanced out since Sonic gives few chances to be punished, and Fox breaks out of followups pretty well. But stat for stat, it's more 55-45 or 60-40 in Fox's favor.

To win, keep the momentum of the game- this match is VERY reliant on player skill. The better baiter/player will win the match.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Like I said, if you guys are willing to do the discussion, it's not going to take me long to edit front page images and titles. It depends on you guys. Sorry again...

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Dude greenstreet, don't fret about it :D. We gotcha covered, and we'll figure this out somehow. Smash is fun, and I encourage the study of the deeper mechanics and subtleties of the game, but we all have our lives that are prioritary over videogames(unless your someone who makes your living off of video games XD). You've done plenty enough to help us already, this is one of the few threads on this board that actually remained serious on a general basis, haha. It seems like you're progresssing to bigger and better things, so make the most of it :D.

I'm sure we could figure out something if we asked the mods, yo. =P

Tenki

Smash Hero
We can still keep this thread open to contain all the matchup discussion, but then open a new thread for all the stuff that you had in the front page.

Umby

Smash Master
I'd be willing to make/update a new thread if you all could HELP ME UPDATE THE VIDEO THREAD because I simply don't go and watch full youtube videos that often.

Tenki

Smash Hero
There must be a magic mod tool or something?
Oh ye, mods don't visit Sonic boards ;D

Or just PM mods.

But, it'd be trivial for something like this.

So I think the best idea is to keep this thread for current matchup discussion, and have a 'parent thread' that can be stickied with the info from the front page and an index that links to the actual character discussions in this thread.

i cants do diz
Well, while you're still able to, just keep the title updated lol.

Top Bottom