• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NYC POLY BRAWL Singles SSBB November 1st - Great Venue - Teams if we have enough time

-dMT-

Smash Lord
RESULTS: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5728005#post5728005
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the Gaming club of Polytechnic Institute of NYU, PAGE (Polytechnic Association of Gaming and Entertainment) is hosting an SSBB Singles Tournament. I am the President of this club, and many of our key members are smashers.

SATURDAY NOVEMBER 1st

Registration begins at 1:30pm

Tournament begins at 3pm

Tournament Prices

$5 entry fee
NO Venue Fee - House cut is 20% of pot

Prizes

1st Place - 60%
2nd Place - 20%

Perhaps the pot might be split further to offer a prize for 3rd place, depending on turnout

Polytechnic Institute of NYU
6 Metrotech Center
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Poly is located on Jay St. It is across the street from City Tech, and is located right outside the Jay St. exit of the A, C, F Jay St. Brough Hall stop. It is also walking distance away from the R, M and 2,4,5 trains.

Cell Phone: (718) - 795 - 6223 - Call for any trouble with directions on the day of the event

INFORMATION

Rules for SSBB

Rules so far :

- 3 stock
- 7 minute time limit
- Best 2 of 3. finals matches (losers/winners/grand) being best 3 of 5
- Double Elimination
- Items are OFF including smash ball

Neutral:

* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island
* Smashville
* Lylat

Stages for Counterpick:

* Delfino Plaza
* Frigate Orpheon
* Battleship Halberd
* Castle Siege
* Rainbow Cruise
* Brinstar
* Pokemon Stadium 1
* Norfair
* Pictochat

Banned Stages:

*Everything Else

Mages Dq Rules :
2 Minutes Late: Warning/Loss of first stock
4 Minutes Late: Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late: Loss of set

Stage Banning: Each player / team may select up to 2 stages that will be banned from the tournament set. however, only one of the banned stages can be a neutral stage. (ex. yoshi's island and corneria makes a VALID ban. corneria and brinstar makes a VALID ban. yoshi's island and battlefield makes an INVALID ban.)

Stage Strike Rule: If a stage is selected at random, each player / team can elect to reset the stage pick ONCE PER SET. the reset all must occur within 3 seconds of the start of the match.

Counterpick Rule: The loser of the match first chooses the stage that the next match of the set will be played on. The opponent, then, makes the choice of changing character or not. than the loser of the match selects his/her character.

If the loser of the match chooses to select the stage at random. The opponent CANNOT change character. The loser of the match than makes the choice of changing character or not.

• All standing and small step infinites are banned.**********
• Excessive "stall" tactics are banned.
• Controller Mods are banned
Violation of any rule is punishable by non-refunded disqualification.

In the event of a TIE at the end of the time limit, the player with the most stocks wins. If both players have one stock then it is decided by percentage. If both players have ONE STOCK and SAME PERCENTAGE the players will quit the SUDDEN DEATH, set the stock to one, and start a match with stage being the same as where they had the tie. This will determine the winner.

Each Round is best of three matches; Grand/Losers/Winners Finals are best of five matches*

Singles seeding will be random with some courtesy to crews – you will be spaced evenly as to prevent playing each other in the first round. One of the two criteria must be fulfilled in ordered to be favored. You MUST have 3 or more people in a group hailing from the same region, or you must be part of a crew. Teams seeding will be done randomly.

In case more than 64 people come, Singles seedings will be determined by pools – each player will be assigned to a pool, and each pool will play 2 Three (3) stock matches in a round robin. If a player wins a match, he must inform an official of how much stock he had remaining. Players will continue to play with each other until each player has played all of the other players in the pool twice. The lowest ranking players will be cut off from each pool, so much so until it meets the conditions of a 64-man bracket. All stages for pools are picked randomly, and all character selections will be double blind pick – both players must whisper their character choices for that match to an official, and then immediately select those characters afterwards.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Where the hell did the other 20% of the pot go?

Also, Pictochat and Norfair?

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Nothing wrong with norfair or Pictochat as counterpicks.

20% is the house cut. The club needs to raise some funds, and a lot of people are going out of their way to help with the event.

Still pretty cheao entry fee for NYC standards...

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Nothing wrong with norfair or Pictochat as counterpicks.

20% is the house cut. The club needs to raise some funds, and a lot of people are going out of their way to help with the event.

Still pretty cheao entry fee for NYC standards...
You're not a store, it makes absolutely no sense to take 20% from the pot as you:

1) Aren't losing any profits, seeing as you wouldn't be selling anything otherwise;
2) Already have a venue fee.

My 2c.

EDIT: Wait, you think Picto and Norfair are fine? lolol.

Jtails

Smash Lord
so would you prefer to pay 5 venue, 5 singles? and nothing gets taken out of the pot?

also if anyone has questions feel free to pm me.

D1

Banned via Administration
5 dollar venue fee and 5 dollar entry fee plz.

If we have this much time in advance to get ready for the tourney, we might s well start saving up at LEAST TEN BUX TO GO.

My 2 cents.

And Pictochat should leave...Norfair's good tho.

Only reason certain states ban Norfair b/c ppl camp so hard on that stage to the point where its just god****ed rediculous.

Jtails

Smash Lord
Aha with all these 2 cents we gonna be rich =D
so the 5, 5 deal sounds good. i think dmt will read these posts and perhaps change it. if not ill tell him tomorrow.

as far as pictochat i guess it can be taken out. i dont have a problem with or without it.
once again ill talk to dmt.

thanks for the input guys. its good to hear what people want.
hehe i really cant wait for teh friendlies XD

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
so would you prefer to pay 5 venue, 5 singles? and nothing gets taken out of the pot?

also if anyone has questions feel free to pm me.

leave it the way it is honestly. its for the school to raise money what is the big issue. to be honest I never heard of something so petty as arguing over a school club trying to raise funds! come on.

Jtails if I am not at a tournament I am definitely coming to support XD

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Ok lets clarify. Nowhere on the post is there anything about a venue fee. It's a school, therefore calling it a venue fee would be weird, since we're not really paying anything for the school...wait..irony.. >_>

There's ONLY an entry fee of $5, meaning everyone entering ONLY pays $5. NOT $10.

Now with those conditions, I'm leaving 20% to the scool club, because that's what clubs do, raise money, and use this money for upcoming events. Not like I can go buy something for myself with it, I have to give it to Poly lol.

These posts I read are attempting to convince me to do 5,5...in which each participant would pay $10 instead of $5, and PAGE would get 50% of it. That's another way of looking at it. I have absolutely no poblems with that, since it only makes it better for us.

I thought I'd just keep it relatively cheaper and make it more accessible.

As for Pictochat, since I don't even have 1 person saying it can stay, might as well take it off. Honestly Norfair bothers me more than picto...and so does Poke Stadium 2....Strife you had that on lolz

OK, so Pictochat is off for now...I won't change rules after like the next 48 hrs, and rules changes are only limited to stages at this point. I hate rules changing, and I won't have anyone live through it.

So, last question:

Do you fine gentleman wanna pay 5,5 = $10 and get a bigger pot, or leave it at $5 and we get 20%?

Jtails

Smash Lord
thanks strife =D

so the question is up guys. we are gonna need votes now!

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
5 dollar venue fee and 5 dollar entry fee plz.

If we have this much time in advance to get ready for the tourney, we might s well start saving up at LEAST TEN BUX TO GO.

My 2 cents.

And Pictochat should leave...Norfair's good tho.

Only reason certain states ban Norfair b/c ppl camp so hard on that stage to the point where its just god****ed rediculous.
STFU Nothing wrong with Pictochat nubie. The flames do like 1%, the Bullets BARELY if ever kill and the Spikes can be avoided. QUILLIFE!!!!

Btw can't come to this because I have work. Waaah :(

D1

Banned via Administration
Ban Picto and 10 dollar entry fee...like I said...its all the way in November...we have plenty of time to start saving our pennies.

BAND!T

Smash Cadet
do page members get in free? ;D and iunno if i can make it, got some shnit to do. will try to be there for friendlies. and btw, november is in like.. 10 days.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
yes it is..

and No, no exclusivity to page memebers. Even people staffed that want to participate will pay lol

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Ok lets clarify. Nowhere on the post is there anything about a venue fee. It's a school, therefore calling it a venue fee would be weird, since we're not really paying anything for the school...wait..irony.. >_>

There's ONLY an entry fee of $5, meaning everyone entering ONLY pays $5. NOT $10.

Now with those conditions, I'm leaving 20% to the scool club, because that's what clubs do, raise money, and use this money for upcoming events. Not like I can go buy something for myself with it, I have to give it to Poly lol.

These posts I read are attempting to convince me to do 5,5...in which each participant would pay $10 instead of $5, and PAGE would get 50% of it. That's another way of looking at it. I have absolutely no poblems with that, since it only makes it better for us.

I thought I'd just keep it relatively cheaper and make it more accessible.

As for Pictochat, since I don't even have 1 person saying it can stay, might as well take it off. Honestly Norfair bothers me more than picto...and so does Poke Stadium 2....Strife you had that on lolz

OK, so Pictochat is off for now...I won't change rules after like the next 48 hrs, and rules changes are only limited to stages at this point. I hate rules changing, and I won't have anyone live through it.

So, last question:

Do you fine gentleman wanna pay 5,5 = $10 and get a bigger pot, or leave it at $5 and we get 20%?
I originally misread it as a venue fee as well at pot removal.

My bad.

Sintros

Smash Journeyman
cool beans dmtmanga i live literally walking distance away, lol i'll bring my 2 yr old son with me to whitness smashers at battle. Nothing like to start off a kid off early for ssb, i always say!

Jtails

Smash Lord
we are in quite a tizzy O.o sooo more votes?
besides going to no johns =P

haha yea i wanna get my child started real early with video games too =]
i mean once i have one... >.>

Will_Base

Smash Rookie
$5 entry sounds good to me

I’ll be there since, if the tournament is where I think it is, this is only 1 subway stop away from me.

Polytechnic is within walking distance of the Q stop at Dekalb right?

-dMT-

Smash Lord
yes it is, but if u transfer to the R or M right across the platform from the Q on DeKalb, and take it for 1 stop to Lawrence Street, you will be much closer to Poly.

DeKalb is still walking distance though so it's up to you.

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
Would you consider having a payout to 3rd place? (depending on turnout, entry fee back, or small %)

Out of curiosity what is PAGE going to do with the funds it raises from this? Are you going to hold some big event at the end of the year or something

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Well a school club's success is basd on how great its events are, and now much funds it brings to the school. If we just use money so much, and never add to our budget, we fail.

The money ONLY gets used for future events. With enough funds, we can get consoles, games, prizes, anything to make any of our future events only that much better. We can't use it for ourselves. Besides it being unethical, it'd also give the club no gain.

Based on how well this goes, I want to make this a traditional event. The better each of these tournaments turn out, the better I will be able to make the next one, and the more often I'll host them as well.

Sintros

Smash Journeyman
oh quick question. In order to sign up for this event, i must bring a crew of people? if so is it alright to spectate?

-dMT-

Smash Lord
The 2yo is your responsibility though lol. Its going to be a tournament, and theres no venue fee, so I guess it becomes a good place to spectate and get only friendlies, but I'm not really in favor of that. It's only $5, so I want everyone coming to enter the tourney at least. plus, all tourney matches will override any friendlies happening on the TVs, so you end up playing more by entering...

Jay0yeah

Smash Ace
This sounds very good. I'm busy that day but I hope ya have another Poly tech smash event. NYC!! BABY!

Jtails

Smash Lord
haha indeed we will jay. especially if this one goes really well =]

hehe my wallet is getting angry.. you wouldn't like it when its angry!

-dMT-

Smash Lord
haha indeed we will jay. especially if this one goes really well =]

hehe my wallet is getting angry.. you wouldn't like it when its angry!
If it turned green I'd love it. My wallet definitely needs a lot more green to it...

Top Bottom