• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NYC POLY BRAWL Singles SSBB November 1st - Great Venue - Teams if we have enough time

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
Jungle Japes again, Genesis?? Hey does that mean you're coming up all the way from PA for this?

i disagree that Jungle Japes is legitimate CP. Falco matchups are broken there because he can time his CG-to-dair to the klaptrap (the timing of the klaptrap is once every ten seconds, on the dot. just look at the seconds digit on the timer). By a quick glance at the timer, can know exactly when and where that klaptrap is/will be (appears near the right ledge every "7", is at the left ledge every "5" etc). A lot of characters have spikes, but you can avoid being above the water based on what time it is on the timer. But vs. Falco, it doesn't matter where on the stage you are or what time it is: if he's practiced it, and your character is one of the many characters falco CGs, he's going to use his chaingrab, slow it down, speed it up, or reverse the direction of it, so that you get spiked into a klaptrap. The only 0-to-death inescapable combo in Brawl that's specific to a single character on a single stage, and the only stage that can involve using the timer like that.

For the past two months no tournament in new jersey has allowed the japes. Obviously this isn't NJ, but if you want, you should contact some of those tournament organizers and ask them why they've done that.

Anyway i'm looking forward to this, i should be coming...

Oh... and... so nothing for 3rd place ?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Not only that, but it's nearly impossible to approach a camping Falco (or a lot of characters that camp well for that matter) as the normal approaches involving a shield are no longer options, because you must now jump to approach, if the left or right platform is being camped. It is very easy for some characters, especially Falco, to escape if his position is compromised, because of the ledges, and his side B (and the water, which is pretty safe if you know the timing of the klaptraps).

Essentially, Falco could use his B moveset to shutdown your whole game, and almost never get hit on that stage, while holding an EASY 0 death combo in his hand as the Ace, just in case.

It can also call for some very lengthy matches, since retreating and camping with many characters, as well as a desire to get the high ground is so great.

Sintros

Smash Journeyman
The 2yo is your responsibility though lol. Its going to be a tournament, and theres no venue fee, so I guess it becomes a good place to spectate and get only friendlies, but I'm not really in favor of that. It's only $5, so I want everyone coming to enter the tourney at least. plus, all tourney matches will override any friendlies happening on the TVs, so you end up playing more by entering...
lol of coarse he my responsibility, I wont participate in any friendlies, I just want to spectate if you dont mind. I'll see if any of my friends want to join the event . I'm trying to find matching nintendo shirts so me and my son would match.

nuker119

Smash Apprentice
yo if i can get off from work i should be able to attend man. ill see if i can push work back on to either friday or sunday. a tourny at poly is one that i must attend

-dMT-

Smash Lord
NO Jungle Japes. The reasons are quite clear as stated above. Last 2 tournaments I went to in NYC didn't have Japes on either, so I'm guessing NYC is picking up on this as well.

A more important discussion of CP stages now, Pictochat?

I for one believe Pictochat is just fine as a CP. The stage is never really that deadly, and most of the time avoidable by anyone willing to pay attention. It is also a good pick against characters that like to use CGs and various forms of attack spamming, due to space being limited.

Unlike Japes, it doesn't give any character a 0-death nearly as easily, if any.

I'd like to hear the opinions on this, since the game is still young I'm not gonna enforce any stage list. i'd rather make sure the participants are happy for the most part.

As for 3rd place prize, I guess it depnds on the turnout...

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Jungle Japes again, Genesis?? Hey does that mean you're coming up all the way from PA for this?

i disagree that Jungle Japes is legitimate CP. Falco matchups are broken there because he can time his CG-to-dair to the klaptrap (the timing of the klaptrap is once every ten seconds, on the dot. just look at the seconds digit on the timer). By a quick glance at the timer, can know exactly when and where that klaptrap is/will be (appears near the right ledge every "7", is at the left ledge every "5" etc). A lot of characters have spikes, but you can avoid being above the water based on what time it is on the timer. But vs. Falco, it doesn't matter where on the stage you are or what time it is: if he's practiced it, and your character is one of the many characters falco CGs, he's going to use his chaingrab, slow it down, speed it up, or reverse the direction of it, so that you get spiked into a klaptrap. The only 0-to-death inescapable combo in Brawl that's specific to a single character on a single stage, and the only stage that can involve using the timer like that.

For the past two months no tournament in new jersey has allowed the japes. Obviously this isn't NJ, but if you want, you should contact some of those tournament organizers and ask them why they've done that.

Anyway i'm looking forward to this, i should be coming...

Oh... and... so nothing for 3rd place ?
Agreed on japes but NJ managed to ban pirate ship over a toon link because no one had the common ****ing sense to just get their *** out of the water (and apply the no offstag stalling rule to the water through a loophole that it covers the area that is considered offstage anyway) on a stage that is only about 25% water in the first place, yet Rainbow even with it's bull**** yellow blocks and duh bias for floaters got grandfathered in and stays there without a question.

HelpR

Smash Ace
I dont really mind Jungle Japes personally (though I do think im at a bit of a disadvantage, but eh, just play the frikkin game.)

Pictochat is also fine by me, though it does suffer from the whole halberd syndrome 'this trap is easily avoidable, there's no excuse for falling into it!' '....at least until I get thrown into it... ****it.'

low damage to death from the spikes in pictochat? it's more plausible then you think!

To be honest, I don't see exactly how any characters get a distinct advantage or disadvantage on a stage such as pictochat, where the only static thing happens to be the terrain you're standing on.

I'll be sure to attend guys, see ya there.

Will_Base

Smash Rookie
One of my characters is Falco, so I obviously don’t mind the Japes personally, but the stage really does seem busted and the tournament would probably be more legit without it.

Shin Bowser Meow

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinBowserMeow
3DS FC
4184-3865-2383
I dont really mind Jungle Japes personally (though I do think im at a bit of a disadvantage, but eh, just play the frikkin game.)

Pictochat is also fine by me, though it does suffer from the whole halberd syndrome 'this trap is easily avoidable, there's no excuse for falling into it!' '....at least until I get thrown into it... ****it.'

low damage to death from the spikes in pictochat? it's more plausible then you think!

To be honest, I don't see exactly how any characters get a distinct advantage or disadvantage on a stage such as pictochat, where the only static thing happens to be the terrain you're standing on.

I'll be sure to attend guys, see ya there.
Its not that any char has an advantage on that stage. its the fact that something unexpected and without warning can appear and decide the match / cost you a stock. in this game losing a stock puts you so far behind because we are dealing with 3 stocks. Personally i heart that stage lots, but gayness will happen. I'll show you soon as i get recording equipment and upload a match that happened last week in my house.

Jtails

Smash Lord
whaa whyd they ban pirate ship? jigglypuff, ness, ganondorf and others really shine on that stage.
because it has nothing in common? that makes no sense, i think there was another reason for the banning. if not they are whack lol

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
If you feel Falco may do good on Jungle Japes, you can always ban it as a stage strike. even if Falco can chain grab you, all you have to do is approch carefully. every other character can't be as bad (okay, there's Dedede's spams >>)

Pictochat seems fine IMO

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I don't even see why Japes should be considered for CP. Sure CP stages are supposed to give an advantage to certain characters, hence their name and purpose. Some of them are just unfair to the next level though. Stages that do the killing for you, or give you a reliable 0-death are too strong for CP.

If the player is gonna ban Japes in the first place, what's the point of even having it on then? For the few
n00bs that don't realize they should ban it? >_>

Well there doesn't seem to be any discusion going on. From most people I hear Pictochat is fine, and honestly that's my opinion too. For this tournament I'm keeping Pictochat in the CP list, and with this, the ruleset should be finalized.

Jtails

Smash Lord
indeed rockin speaks the truth!

oh and dmt you took my sd card lol not sure if you noticed.
i really need that for tommorow. to have a no tripping wii as a set up.

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
DDD spam is mitigated by the fact that stages with permanent walls or permanent walk-off ledges are ALL already banned. Perfect precedent to banning Jungle Japes. Imagine having to waste your ban on Bridge of Eldin or Green Greens in every single set you played, wondering if they even secondaried DDD or not... You should be protected from broken strategies as a given, and not have to waste your ban on it.

Speaking of which i notice that you didn't ban standing/small-step infinites. Like DDD's on DDD, Mario, Luigi, Samus, DK, and Bowser, and Marth's on Lucas and Ness. I'm sure anyone agrees that they're matchup-breaking and unfair. Sorry to make all these posts about bans but i'm just trying to help. I really am looking forward to coming to this :)

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Ah yes...Well I guess I kind of assumed those were taken to be banned as a general rule, but I should make it clear then.

DDD's standing infinite on said characters, and Marth's infinite grab release against mother tier is definitely banned in this tournament as well. I'll clarify that in the post.

Thanks for the heads up.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
You Shouldn't ban DDD's infinite on DDD, Mario, Luigi, Samus, DK, and Bowser and Marth's infinite on Lucas and Ness. They are NOT generally banned. No infinite picking out specific characters is. Only Meta Knight's Infinite Cape Glitch is. Read this thread for more info and proof:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187735

-dMT-

Smash Lord
That thread hasn't been updated since early August. Even the counter pick list is outdated.

Recent tournaments have been banning D3's infCG and I heard that Marth's inf grab release got banned in general recently as well.

Again, recently. Definitely after early August.

Even then, it's quite obvious why it's banned. There are limits to character counterpicks. Having an infinite on someone that is NOT escapable, regardless of stage location and situation is simply unacceptible. I don't even see why these 2 things would be up for discussion in the first place.

Regardless however, they are indeed banned in this tournament. I seriously doubt I'm severely gimping any D3s or Marths out there with this...They can both live without it...

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Understandable. Just don't forget about banning MK's Infinite cape glitch. You will give free wins to MK if you don't.

Snakeee

Smash Master
cool beans dmtmanga i live literally walking distance away, lol i'll bring my 2 yr old son with me to whitness smashers at battle. Nothing like to start off a kid off early for ssb, i always say!
Would you like to be my father?

This tourney sounds like fun, but it feels like we're playing for nickels in dimes. Up the anti a bit please. I know I'm not the only one saying that. I don't mind a small venue fee either.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Well, there's a lot of characters I don't mess with, hence my not knowing about the infinites. I'll just state the ban as all standing and small step infinites then.

As for the prizes, yes indeed it's small compared to a lot of them, but we actually want to try one out first. The $5 entry fee being the entire cost for participation should help with drawing in more people. I didn't advertise it anywhere else besides here on SWF and inside the school itself, so the quality should be good and it won't be flooded with n00bs, I hope... lol.

If this goes well, I want to make this into a traditional event with higher entry fee and a MUCH more beefed up pot of course. For now though, I'm gonna ask that you guys enjoy paying little, and playing for a moderate prize.

BUM163

Smash Lord
naaa raise the venue fee. and why only singles? where is doubles? if there is only one event.... i won't go sorry. i always like doing both.

BUM163

Smash Lord
is it possible for you to do teams? i don't see teams anywhere and the venue fee is way to small. you gonna get alot of randoms and not only that..... it's just way to small.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Like I said in your thread Bum, just for one time. I have to have an idea of how this alone will run, some people at Poly need to see it with their own eyes that this Brawl tournament is feasible.

All I ask is there is no conflict with your tournament being a saturday all of a sudden...

-dMT-

Smash Lord
O NOES!

So yea, the rules have been messed with lately, so I advise everyone skims through it again to look at its final form...

nuker119

Smash Apprentice
look good, hopefully i would be able to attend this one.. considering i missed out on nearly everything. it looks like ill be working friday, but ill see if i can get saturday moved to an day during the week or to sunday.. if that's possible i should be there. woot

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Al right...Since there's a lot of demand for teams... if and ONLY IF we have the necessary time left over after singles reaches completion, or is near completion... I will hold a doubles (teams) tournament as well.

Same rules apply, except entry fee will be $10 per team ($5 per player). The pot prizes will be the same, with 20% going to the club.

If it helps, I suppose you guys can look at it as:

$4 entry
$1 venue

It's the same math lol

Top Bottom