• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PKAY FIAH! ~ Ness MU Discussion [INDEX PAGE + Various Discussions]

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
I also would not mind facing ness's to help determine the matchup. i am pretty sure this is fairly close to neutral, perhaps in ness favor, but i would like to play some ness's first lol.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I also would not mind facing ness's to help determine the matchup. i am pretty sure this is fairly close to neutral, perhaps in ness favor, but i would like to play some ness's first lol.
I can play you tomorrow or something! :D Not for the match ups, either. XD I mean just for the heck of it. I don't fight Pikachu as much as I used to.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Awesome. just hit me up whenever. i will at least try to figure stuff out about the matchup, i dont get many chances to play ness.
I'll play you tomorrow. I had just realized how awesome I am offline vs online, though. Thought I'd give you a heads up. I suppose we can try and learn something through the matches.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
@PKNintendo
Can you put links to the pages where the discussion of each character match up starts? Because I'm having trouble locating certain matchups...but if you can't or don't want to I can understand :)

Hmmm Pikachu?
He's one of my mains, but I haven't really had any experience as Ness against him/her/it (lol).
Just a few things to worry about:
-Dsmash: Vacuum effect (sorta) and does multiple hits and damage. DI out of
-Fsmash: Has a longer range than the bat and starts up faster (I stand to be corrected) but is distinctively less powerful after multiple uses.
-Bair: Does some spinny spinny move in the air...deal multiple hits...annoying

Levitas

the moon
lilmister: Dsmash has sideways hits inwards from pika, effectively bouncing you back and forth. Quick SDI, like you said, is effective. Be sure to do it UP and not horizontal at all.

Fsmash doesn't decay any faster than other moves. Also it does have better startup, but since when does Ness uses his Fsmash for anything?

Pika's Bair is almost never used. It has worse landing lag than fair, making it an inferior option. Anther frequently leads fairs/crossedup fairs into grabs.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Some of us bair for its high priority. i like to use it when somebody on a platform. its priority and awesome shieldpoking abilities **** people on platforms.

Levitas

the moon
Silly pikachus and having styles of play that aren't just copies of anther.

Idk, bair seems less useful in general, because they have to be at the edge of a platform or you have to do correct aerially positioning not to get large amounts of lag, and Pika's bair's priority still isn't gonna beat most moves that people consider to be "high priority".

Uffe

Smash Hero
Pikachu's bair is amazing! I love using that attack a lot. It seems really handy if you RAR it, though since it has this grapple effect and you can pull away while using it.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Here's my input.

PK can crawl over you with his QAC or Quack.
It allows him (if Im sure) to cancel his Up B with aerials.

Thunder Jolt approaches can be stopped with psi magnet. (but don't get cocky, the move sucks, and it doesn't stop it 100%, just partially)

In the air, I think Ness wins. His fair outranges Pikachu's aerials. Ness is hard pressed on the ground, and must watch out for downsmash. (SDI to escape it)

Pikachu's Top part of thunder can be absorbed. So use it while edge guarding.
A huge pro in this matchup is Pikachu's weight. Pikachu is light so, Ness Backthrow will kill Pikachu early.
I don't know about you (levitas) but I LOVE Ness Fsmash. It's strong, powerful and is decent at spacing. Use it on Pikachu for a lucky 60% kill. (tipper) PK fire is not recommended because of Pikachu's weight, and speed. (light characters escape easier)

All an all neutral, but slightly for Ness.

55-45.

Edit: Watch chu talking about Levitas. Pikachu's bair is win.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
If you Use forward smash, unless it's to punish a super " I'm lagging like Nintendo Wifi right now so take this opportunity to forward smash me" lag. If you hit with it most of the other times, you just got lucky.

Though you can pull out the forward smash and kill randomly when they least expect it.

Levitas

the moon
It's neutralish, but it's in pika's favor if anyones. Pika's mobility tools and recovery > Ness's "early" KOs and aerial priority.

Pika just has superior tools in general, and this matchup isn't much of exception.

BTW, the coolest thing that will never happen in this matchup is by far fsmashing a Pika's thunder so it and the bat hits them. Bonus points if it's fully charged, because that means they reacted to your fsmash's startup with a thunder that missed.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
It's neutralish, but it's in pika's favor if anyones. Pika's mobility tools and recovery > Ness's "early" KOs and aerial priority.

Pika just has superior tools in general, and this matchup isn't much of exception.

BTW, the coolest thing that will never happen in this matchup is by far fsmashing a Pika's thunder so it and the bat hits them. Bonus points if it's fully charged, because that means they reacted to your fsmash's startup with a thunder that missed.
Or you can absorb it?

Levitas

the moon
...perhaps...

I really don't know if you can, as you couldn't in melee, and I've never been in the situation where that would be useful.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
Fsmash doesn't decay any faster than other moves. Also it does have better startup, but since when does Ness uses his Fsmash for anything?
Hmm I remember reading from somewhere that it does decay faster...I think it was from smash Dojo? <_<
But if I'm wrong then my bad :dizzy:

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The poof cannot the hitbox that's around pikachu when his down-b hits himself.
Wow I need to go to sleep. XD

What I meant to say

The hitbox of the explosion caused when pikachu hits himself with his down b cannot be absorbed.

WTF@Poof

Masky

Smash Master
Why doesn't Ness have his own Franklin Badge? He has his own baseball bat. :(

Levitas

the moon
That link didn't say it decayed faster or anything. The only reason there's a bigger difference between the damage it deals decayed vs undecayed is because it deals more damage to start with. It's like comparing a falcon punch's decay to a fox's jab's decay.

That said, I'm like 98% sure that it isn't an abnormal rate of decay.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
If you Use forward smash, unless it's to punish a super " I'm lagging like Nintendo Wifi right now so take this opportunity to forward smash me" lag. If you hit with it most of the other times, you just got lucky.

Though you can pull out the forward smash and kill randomly when they least expect it.
I find that F-smash can be landed as a move if you predict someone will air dodge as they land. Just initiate as they initiate the air dodge and the timing is just right.

Stealth - did I use my Ness at all when we played friendlies?

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Give him that as his down B instead of the crap we have now. I would rather have a clone of Fox's down B than Psi Crap Magnet. I HATE THAT MOVE.

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Rather, remove all of that nasty startup lag and there, a better PSI magnet.

_clinton

Smash Master
Basically it's an even match up...
I sort of agree with it being even...or at least 55:45 Ness
Some DKs annoy the hell out of me ^_^

Overall it is one of those matches though were I find my self noticing that I'm winning well w/o any trouble, or may be losing by a lot...with the same DKs that I play with...which is odd ^_^

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Ok, I'm pretty experienced with this matchup, since i've played vicegrip a lot.

the cargo dsmash is very useful, and the cg does work pknintendo, no matter how much you say otherwise, dk's dashgrab comes out 2 frames faster than his dsmash, meaning as long as he predicts right he can regrab.

other than that, dk's bair does beat out your air game, and his punch will eat your approach options. ness however does have some pkthunder combos that really hurt. it's about 6-4 dk, since once ness gets in, he can do damage, it's just hard for him to get in

_clinton

Smash Master
Ok, I'm pretty experienced with this matchup, since i've played vicegrip a lot.

the cargo dsmash is very useful, and the cg does work pknintendo, no matter how much you say otherwise, dk's dashgrab comes out 2 frames faster than his dsmash, meaning as long as he predicts right he can regrab.

other than that, dk's bair does beat out your air game, and his punch will eat your approach options. ness however does have some pkthunder combos that really hurt. it's about 6-4 dk, since once ness gets in, he can do damage, it's just hard for him to get in
Funny...I'm pretty sure DK has to be the one to come in to Ness...not Ness coming into DK...

Jtails

Smash Lord
thing about dk is back throw doesnt kill till around 130+
though a close ranged PKT2 can kill at 50.

gimping with bairs can get annoying, but ness has the control as long as he stays in front of dk.
Ref did a great job of demonstrating this.

also grabbing him as soon as he lands, staying in front so fair cant really hit you.

all in all i think its an even match. but maybe even alittle bit in DKs favor because ness is so light and dies at low %

just play safe + smart

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Ness isn't light. He's a middle-weight.

This is pure speculation but in the video, it looks like Ref could have pulled a few pivot grabs for the kill. Very close match indeed.

I wish I knew more about this matchup. It certainly looks neutral.

Jtails

Smash Lord
i didnt mean light, i meant light compared to DK. but you're right

maybe if it was at BF it would have been better, so backthrows could kill from either side. staying inside of DK is annoying cause of tilts. making pivot grabs harder.

Levitas

the moon
It isn't neutral. Bum was making a number of mistakes.

Ref had to rely on ness's projectiles, in particular PK fire. This is a bad sign.

Bum had the advantage of getting earlier KOs due to DK's ridiculous Dsmash and Usmash.

Jtails

Smash Lord
i agree levitas. that was my point ^^^

about early KO's and the match being slighty in DK favor maybe 55-45?

Top Bottom