• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A guide to mindgames and observation

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
(Now, there are plenty of guides about mindgames already up. But recently I was PMed asking for tips, and realized that perhaps some fresh material could be added. So I wrote this. Enjoy!)

First and foremost, take and remember this critical advice. WALK EVERYWHERE, DON'T RUN unless you need to follow up an attack, or get to the edge to edgeguard. Walking allows you to keep ALL of your options open. You can perform any option out of walking, and it helps your spacing dramatically. By keeping your options open, you can mindgame your opponent far more successfully. When you walk, you have access to your whole moveset (jab, tilt, smash, special, aerial, defense). When you dash, you lose almost half (you can no longer jab, tilt, or Smash).

There are two 'basic' ways to mindgame your opponent: Punishing offense, and punishing defense. I'll teach about punishing defense first.

There are two main ways to punish defense. Observation of natural habits, and conditioning.

Observation of Natural habits: This is to see which of your opponent's defensive options (shield, spot dodge, roll dodge, air dodge, attack, special [like counter]) they like to use most. I'm a Marth player, so I have this part semi-easy, because Marth is really good at punishing all defensive options. Let me know what character you play, and I might be able to give you more specific advice.

You want to observe your opponent's favorite defensive options, and plan to take advantage of these defensive options. If your opponent likes to shield when you jump at them, RAR and land behind them by throwing no attack. Then grab. OR, throw a retreated projectile, maintain the advantage, OR, use a move that has a large possibility of shield stabbing, OR, use a move that is safe on block/hard to punish (like King DeDeDe's rising Dair, or G&W's Bair). Basically, use options that don't allow you to get grabbed from the air. If this means not attacking your opponent's shield with an aerial, then don't. Backing off and deciding NOT to attack is OK. That concept will save you quite a lot of %.

If your opponent likes to spot dodge, MOST jabs in this game will beat out that option, as well as grab, since jabs typically come out on frame 4, and grabs come out frame 6. Also, charging an Usmash works well. Since you can dash into an Usmash, and shield beats every option out of dash except grab, and grab is countered by spot dodge, this means that if you run up to your opponent and don't jump, they'll probably spot dodge, anticipating a grab (or dash attack). This makes the charged Usmash an excellent tool (unless your Usmash is really slow, like Lucas'). In these cases, simply not charging may help. This is why Kirby's dash attack is so good. It's an option out of dash that beats a spot dodge from the ground.

If your opponent's likes to roll away, that's fine. Rolling away is generally one of the best defense options, since it's extremely hard to punish without predicting it ahead of time, and being a fast character. To punish this, basically, you'd have to run past your opponent, and attack where their roll dodge is going to be when it finishes. If you do this, you'll impress people, and be considered a master of mindgames, but it's risky, and not advised. If someone rolls away from you, just continue using your general spacing tools, like Marth's dtilt, or Wolf's Blaster.

If you opponent likes to roll behind you/towards you, simply punish in the same way you'd punish a spot dodge. Attack the spot where they'll end up. As Marth, I like to SHFF Nair, in place. When I jump, my opponent thinks I am approaching, and tries to roll behind me. Since I didn't approach, they roll right into my attack. This is pretty safe, because my opponent really can't punish my auto-cancelled Nair. Rolling behind your opponent is a rewarding option, but a risky one. The same goes for spot dodging.

To beat out airdodges, basically, jump at your airborne opponent and do nothing. They will dodge, anticipating an attack (they have to, or they'll get hit). Wait a little while, and attack them as they come out of their dodge. Hitting them with a move that sends them Upward can reset the situation, because you get a chance to do it again. This is referred to as juggling, but is SLIGHTLY different than juggling in Melee.

Your opponent can also attack defensively. To beat this out, anaylze the pattern, and attack in the break. Even MK legendary Fair/ftilt/dtilt/Shuttle Loop wall is not impenetrable. Practice makes perfect.

The pros of this type of mindgame is that it really gets in your opponent's head, and targets key behaviors that they opponent has built up over time, so it is harder and takes longer for them to adapt. It also requires little effort for the very attentive, and can be used early in the match, with little risk to self in most cases.
The cons are that against most top level players, these defensive options are used appropriately, and not spammed. Furthermore, they use more offensive techniques for defense, and make it riskier to attempt punishment. Lastly, good players use mix-ups, to stop you from reading their habits. Even so, even the best players have habits. You almost need them to maintain top-speed in high level matches.

Conditioning: The second way to punish defensive play is conditioning. Basically, this involves stealthily using the same action or reaction at various points throughout the match, and taking note of what your opponent does. 'Teach' your opponent how to respond to what you are doing, by doing it over, and letting them think they have a reliable solution. When you've conditioned your opponent enough, use a mix-up to beat out their option. For example. Let's say I always roll-dodge behind my opponent when I'm cornered at the edge. They've gotten used to this, and have begun using Dsmash (most dsmashes beat most roll dodges). Now that I've noticed this, instead of rolling behind them, I spot dodge, which beats most Dsmashes. This allows me to get a free Usmash.

Pros of conditioning: You score free hits. Simple.

Cons of conditioning: If not done properly, you may end up taking unnecessary damage. Conditioning requires subtly and care.

I'll reserve the next post for offensive mindgames.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I actually wrote this a while ago, but I accidentally navigated away from the page and lost the entire second part of the essay. It seriously discouraged me from finishing it, but I'm over it now. Anyway, onto punishing offense.

Defensive mix-ups: Most players are familiar with offensive mix-ups. Basically, it's not approaching with the same attack, and not using the same attack in the same situation every time, to make you less predictable. However, it's also very important to mix up your defensive options as well, to punish attacks. Let's say your a MK player, and you normally like to shield when your opponent does a SH aerial at you, then to an aerial out of shield. Well, let's say your opponent happens to be at 120%, but your Nair is slightly stale, so Nair out of shield won't K.O.. Instead, next time when your opponent decides to jump at you, simply Shuttle Loop, and you'll hit them first, catching them off guard since they assumed themselves to by on approach. Not only will this knock them far and set them up for edgeguard, but if they didn't DI correctly, then you also might get a K.O.. Using attacks and alternative defensive methods can help you land hits.
Pros: You can land hits on your opponent for modifying your defense
Cons: If your opponent used an attack mix-up that your defense doesn't cover, you might be in danger

Trapping: This is another simple concept of punishing obvious attacks. This time, let's say you are King Dedede, and the opponent is about to perform an aerial, same as before. Since they just SHed towards you, it's pretty obvious they probably want to Fair. What one might in this situation is to run backwards to evade the attack. Now the opponent has Faired and missed. Before they can land to autocancel their aerial, punish with a Bair. Predicting your opponent's attack is pretty useful, because it allows you to reposition, and retaliate.
You can also trap an opponent on defense as discussed before. Anticipate reactions, or bait them out, then strike in the opening with punishment.
Pros: Creates openings that weren't there before to land hits.
Cons: Could be difficult to execute if your opponent is fast and spaces well/significantly outranges you.

Pre-counter-attacking: Once again, this involves predicting your opponent's next option. Let's say you're Mario this time. Once again, your opponent is going to SH aerial at you. This time, in anticipation of his SH aerial, instead of moving back, you dash forward and upsmash. Even if your opponent swings early, your Upsmash and their Fair trades. This is PROBABLY a trade in your favor, in both damage and positioning.
Pros: Land attacks before your opponent can attack you.
Cons: Your opponent may switch to a defensive option and punish. You also might trade attacks, or get hit first.

And that's the gist of it. There are always other ways to mindgame people. Simply pulling out unexpected actions can always help you mindgame your opponent. Pay attention, and score damage for it. Happy Smashing!

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I like how DDD can spot dodge Snakes entire Jab string. I also like how you can spot dodge DDD's obvious grab attempt, still be at frame disadvantage and get grabbed anyway.

/random

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
good stuff peirce, always willing to help nubs improve. altho walking is better than dashing sometimes MK needs to keep mobile than shield cancel ur dashes.

another thing about mindgames is something wont work all the time so if ur opp always airdodges and u wait for it to punish, next time do it early and he wont suspect it

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Niiice.
Can't wait for the other part.

K 2

Smash Lord
Good read. Many new players forget the basics such as spacing (which involves walking as you said) and try to accomplish "advanced techniques." This is very useful to any new player as well as experienced players.

Can't wait for part 2.

Nami-Tsuki

Smash Rookie
Interesting stuff :D

I love mindgames because my friends are usually like WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING?! And then I kill them XD

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I can't help but think that your a big fan of walking because of you playing Marth? Some characters do their best when they're exploiting their speed at all times. You said running lessens your options........You could just cancel your dash with a shield and you lose no options. In fact with most characters with above average speed, dashing into a shield gives you a little sliding momentum where you have even more options than you do walking.

Walking is great for those characters that have the broken range(Marth, Snake, DK, ROB to name a few). But some characters who have problems with zoning are much better off taking advantage of their speed at most times.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
walking wall of ftilit and i u dare to attack u get gernade countered for 16% and ftilit for 21 and die at 100 with an up tilit FtWWWWWWW

but like marulsas said some chars need the run to shiled thing while others walk. i personally think the defense mindgames help a lot more in this game

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
This is a general guideline. I'm not saying never dash, but to an untrained player who is simply learning how to play, better they get into the habit of walking now, and over time, they will learn the approrpriate time to dash.

Also, Shield Canceling a dash is asking to get read every time you dash and grabbed. Naturally, if you spot dodge, I might hyphen smash you at random, lol. I'm terrified of walking Snakes, and if they need to travel quickly, they can always DACUS. I'm not saying Snake shouldn't run, but even Snake shouldn't always dash.

As for finishing this, I definitely will. I'm off to school in 15 minutes. Yesterday, I began typing right before I left to go play with some friends, so I had to interrupt myself, and didn't get home till late. I'll finish this as soon as I get home today.

Oh, and Marsulas, I dash too much, lol. It's probably why I can't properly utilize Marth's utilt.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I never walk nor dash with Wolf lol. Most of the time I just move with Short Hops XD

Irsic

Smash Ace
Hmm, nicely done. I really enjoyed this read.

My only bit about this was that when an opponent is above you, what if he attacks on the way down while you're doing nothing against his spot dodge? I've actually found that spot dodging on the way down normally gets me in more trouble then anything, so I prefer to just come down with a dair (which with Lucas, beats most uairs in the game and is pretty tough to punish unless timed terribly)

I usually try to attempt mind games for opponents coming down by SHFF air dodging a couple of times, or try to jump from platforms to higher platforms (battlefield) and try to trick my oppoent when I may try to come after him.

Maybe you haven't done that portion yet.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party

Royale

Smash Journeyman
i was brawling and i took time out to read this and noticed an improvement in my game. Well Done OP. Im a defensive/Ground type of player and i found the first part of your essay to be mostly true. Its good to read essays like this, helps remind me of the proper way of playing defensively. Thank you OP. Looking forward to more high quality material in your future posts.

~AceR~

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't be so quick to say "walk everywhere". That's a pretty misplaced generalization.
There are, indeed, characters that would skewed if they walked everywhere.

Take (the obvious) Sonic, for example. Diddy Kong's (well a good Diddy) whole meta game is based around dash[attacks] and glidetossing.

Want sommor? =3

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
3D's dash attack is a mindgame itself if you chaing grab A LOT in the match.... And it kills :D

Sliq

Smash Master
I disagree with the beggining of this thread already. Walking is not always a btter option than running. In fact, for the purpose of mindgames, running is considerably better.

For starters, running allows you to move more quickly, and my constantly moving quickly, you will keep your opponent guessing on your next course of action. Furthermore, a moving target is more difficult to hit, and will force a lot of misspacing on your opponents side.

For example if you dash in when someone is in ther air, they might react to your sudden burst by attacking in order to ward you off. If you, however, dashed in to BAIT this response, and thusly shielded, you should easily be able to retaliate because your opponent hit your shield, and probably misspaced himself.

If you walk everywhere, it will be easy to space against you, and while you do have all of your options, you lose any unpredictability you might've had.

∫unk

Smash Master
I agree with Sliq.

Walking to adjust spacing on a edgeguard or for tipper is fine but... I find running much more rewarding than walking.

Hell most characters have a good side b, b-air, or f-air so they can immediately do a good move out of a run running away in either direction (with a jump cancelled pivot you can f-air the opponent even when you're running away). If you're going towards them you have a few more options.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Nice read Pierce, not a how-to more of a primer to start the mind working.

Come to the Marth boards again man, I'd like to join MBR, I think im quite knowledgable now =]

Top Bottom